• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I just got into a huge fight in Apex where we literally were 6th partied so it's definitely a problem, but I still very much prefer it to Warzone. After experiencing Apex's movement, Warzone feels like I'm moving through molasses and the game has serious audio issues. My footsteps and my teammates footsteps sound like Rhinos trampling the ground but yet an enemy player can just run up behind us? And here I thought Apex was bad in this regard.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's always during close range encounters too. I feel like Battlefield has been the only shooting game where I can consistently hear from all ranges. And that game always has explosions going on in the background. Actually I'd put BF5 right after Respawn games when it comes to how I want my military shooters to feel.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I would much rather deal with 3rd parties then insanely slow, super campy gameplay in Warzone. You can not hear the enemies in that game and you're getting shot at by snipers camping far away, you can't run, gun and have fast paced fun in the way that you can in Apex.
The thing is, Warzone gives you the tools necessary to disengage from those enemies and recover. Tacticals, vehicles, passive health regen, armor plates applying quickly, etc. In Apex, when you're attacked by another squad while you're still licking your wounds, that's it; the game rewards opportunistic engagements like that, and while it's a valid tactic, it's quickly becoming apparent to me that the pace of things like recovery items is simply too slow and restrictive to be ready for a fight in case of a third squad attacking after your first fight is over. Also, if Warzone's too slow for you, do contracts. They're designed to put you in the action and pick fights.

Fortnite does something similar with constructing walls and shielding up. While bandages and minis can only heal you so much, they're used quickly enough and the movement of the game is slow enough that a third squad can't just slide downhill at high speed and immediately pick a fight when you're trying to pick yourself back up. Being able to sprint, heal, and repair armor in Blackout similarly gave you a fighting chance.

Also, Infinity Ward has stated the footsteps were tuned too far down from when they initially tested the mode. They're still figuring out a good balance.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Not having loss forgiveness work reliably is the dumbest fucking decision I think I've ever seen in a BR game.

The most annoying thing is that people boosting to Apex hurts far fewer people than everyone else not getting proper loss forgiveness. Like those guys get a badge and might stink up matchmaking for a few real preds, meanwhile literally every other player gets a chance to get fucked over in return.

It's just a completely nonsensical decision, especially given that respawn were apparently able to detect who is doing it anyway and derank them. So why even fucking bother? Just take their ill earned shit away and don't fuck with everyone else's game. Sigh. It's so frustrating losing 42 points the round after I got 100+ because of a DC putting us at a massive disadvantage.

Just absurd.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
So I've read about how the spitfire is supposed to be bad

But it's still good? It's probably the best and most consistent spray-n-pray weapon out there that works well. It's a completely mean gun if you have a good aim. Yeah the fire rate isn't fast, but it's very good short to long range.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

But it's still good? It's probably the best and most consistent spray-n-pray weapon out there that works well. It's a completely mean gun if you have a good aim. Yeah the fire rate isn't fast, but it's very good short to long range.
In a straight 1v1 situation, eight times out of ten it's gonna lose to a Havoc, R301, R99, Prowler, Flatline, etc. You get the idea lol.

I don't think it's that bad in a mid range engagement but I still generally prefer other guns still.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

"Mean" is definitely the word. It might not be good in a trade but when you're opening up on a group then watch then watch them run for cover as their shields crack one by one. Especially effective with a 2-4x at mid-range. Covering fire also feels like it should with a weapon like this. No one wants to peek you when you let rip with a purple mag.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
"Mean" is definitely the word. It might not be good in a trade but when you're opening up on a group then watch then watch them run for cover as their shields crack one by one. Especially effective with a 2-4x at mid-range. Covering fire also feels like it should with a weapon like this. No one wants to peek you when you let rip with a purple mag.

Yeah. When my group engages, you lay down fire with this gun and watch the enemy run. And you can fire for so long and it feels satisfying to see them poke out and you fire a set of rounds on them.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The more I play of Plunder the more I wish it was a thing in Apex. Just the idea of constant spawns while trying to get the most currency is appealing to me. I could definitely do this as a mode to mess around in. Can you imagine something like this on WE with pilots and titans? That sounds fun as hell to me. Come on TF3. I need your movement and gunplay but a fun 30 minute mode like that.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Started playing as Wattson, I really enjoy her style. I need to work in keeping it cool in the late game, I've won some matches, some really good, but in others I stay second or third because I have a brain fart and forget which button is heal and which is ability

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Started playing as Wattson, I really enjoy her style. I need to work in keeping it cool in the late game, I've won some matches, some really good, but in others I stay second or third because I have a brain fart and forget which button is heal and which is ability
I have like 500 hours in Apex and all it takes is one afternoon playing Counter-Strike and I'm trying to switch weapons with Q and using my tactical instead.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could get my framerate a bit more stable. I've turned down a lot of settings but I can still get my 120fps down to 99 while I start to run or whatever. So weird.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could get my framerate a bit more stable. I've turned down a lot of settings but I can still get my 120fps down to 99 while I start to run or whatever. So weird.
Go to Users\[your PC username]\Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\local and open "videoconfig.txt". Change the values next to "setting.dvs_gpuframetime_min" and "setting.dvs_gpuframetime_max" to whatever you want for your desired frame time (not your desired frame rate). It's measured to the thousandth, so the default "9500" and "9800" values (when dynamic res is set to 100FPS) are actually targeting a frametime between 9.5ms and 9.8ms.

For instance, I want 165FPS, so I set mine to "6100" and "6400" (6.1ms and 6.4ms). The minimum value is you actual target, while the max is just a reasonable amount of "give" you want for the dynamic resolution so it can fluctuate a little bit and doesn't have to strictly target the same framerate at all times (which can make the game really blurry, even on a powerful GPU like the 1080 Ti).

Use this calculator to input your desired framerate and find the frametime you want.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
By the way, I have a weird problem with Apex.

If I start playing Apex, computer will completely shut dows upon the first 5 minutes of play time. It happens when in a match, not the lobby. It's not the temperatures, they are fine (less than 75ºC GPU, less than 70ºC CPU in a hot day).

However, if I play something else, everything's fine. What's weird, is that if I play something else, and then play Apex, everything works fine.

Has anyone had a problem like this? I7-4770 + 1060 6 gb, latests drivers for Windows and Nvidia. Everything's plugged in good.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Go to Users\[your PC username]\Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\local and open "videoconfig.txt". Change the values next to "setting.dvs_gpuframetime_min" and "setting.dvs_gpuframetime_max" to whatever you want for your desired frame time (not your desired frame rate). It's measured to the thousandth, so the default "9500" and "9800" values (when dynamic res is set to 100FPS) are actually targeting a frametime between 9.5ms and 9.8ms.

For instance, I want 165FPS, so I set mine to "6100" and "6400" (6.1ms and 6.4ms). The minimum value is you actual target, while the max is just a reasonable amount of "give" you want for the dynamic resolution so it can fluctuate a little bit and doesn't have to strictly target the same framerate at all times (which can make the game really blurry, even on a powerful GPU like the 1080 Ti).

Use this calculator to input your desired framerate and find the frametime you want.
Interesting. Thank you, I will give this a try.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, I have a weird problem with Apex.

If I start playing Apex, computer will completely shut dows upon the first 5 minutes of play time. It happens when in a match, not the lobby. It's not the temperatures, they are fine (less than 75ºC GPU, less than 70ºC CPU in a hot day).

However, if I play something else, everything's fine. What's weird, is that if I play something else, and then play Apex, everything works fine.

Has anyone had a problem like this? I7-4770 + 1060 6 gb, latests drivers for Windows and Nvidia. Everything's plugged in good.
I had this exact problem with The Division 2. Here's what I did to resolve it, though no guarantees it'll work for you:
  1. I shut down my PC completely, then turned off my PSU. I unplugged my VGA power cables from both my PSU and GPU, then reconnected them to ensure they were secure.
  2. I rebooted, downloaded the latest drivers (I already had the latest drivers, but I made sure I'd get a clean installed), and had DDU updated
  3. Rebooted into safe mode and used DDU to do a full install, then restarted into safe mode again to install the drivers in safe mode
Then I went to my overclock software (I use MSI Afterburner) and made sure I was running stock clocks. Normally I undervolt a bit and overclock a tad (runs fine for any other game, but not The Division 2), but running stock minimized my performance issues.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reasons why I hate balancing FPS games.

I just ran into the door full on sprint wondering WTF didn't the door open

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I had this exact problem with The Division 2. Here's what I did to resolve it, though no guarantees it'll work for you:
  1. I shut down my PC completely, then turned off my PSU. I unplugged my VGA power cables from both my PSU and GPU, then reconnected them to ensure they were secure.
  2. I rebooted, downloaded the latest drivers (I already had the latest drivers, but I made sure I'd get a clean installed), and had DDU updated
  3. Rebooted into safe mode and used DDU to do a full install, then restarted into safe mode again to install the drivers in safe mode
Then I went to my overclock software (I use MSI Afterburner) and made sure I was running stock clocks. Normally I undervolt a bit and overclock a tad (runs fine for any other game, but not The Division 2), but running stock minimized my performance issues.

Thanks! Will try it

Neen

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Last night I set a new record for damage. 2538 with 10 kills. I played alongside my husband and boss. Afterwards I was telling them both that it seemed that my heart had stopped for the last 10 minutes. It was complete chaos. I believe there were 5 teams left in the smallest of circles. We were playing Deja Loot so the final circle seemed to sit right on top of some structures in King's Canyon. We managed to win which delighted all of us but I was extremely excited when I saw my damage numbers. It felt DAMN good!

Now... if only they would reward me with some shards. I need to gift my Lifeline some shock sticks!

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Last night I set a new record for damage. 2538 with 10 kills. I played alongside my husband and boss. Afterwards I was telling them both that it seemed that my heart had stopped for the last 10 minutes. It was complete chaos. I believe there were 5 teams left in the smallest of circles. We were playing Deja Loot so the final circle seemed to sit right on top of some structures in King's Canyon. We managed to win which delighted all of us but I was extremely excited when I saw my damage numbers. It felt DAMN good!

Now... if only they would reward me with some shards. I need to gift my Lifeline some shock sticks!
I've played this game so much and only once managed to break 2500 dmg. Funny enough, it was my very last game of season 2.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I've played this game so much and only once managed to break 2500 dmg. Funny enough, it was my very last game of season 2.
I have been playing since the day it came out and I've only broken 2500 once, and that's because I was cheesing with a Charge Rifle.

My most 'legit' game was a 12kill/2100 damage match which felt absolutely insane to me. It was around the last week of Season 2 as well on King's Canyon. Since then I've broken 2000 damage a couple times, but never 2500.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
They changed the matchmaking in ranked a bit. Teammate and I were Diamond IV, the third was Plat II. We won three games in a row with max points, because we were put into easy Plat/Diamond lobbies, nobody looked like a Master/Pred player.

As soon as the two of us hit Diamond III though, it became extremely hard again. Day and night difference: nobody's missing, everyone's playing passively, third parties everywhere. So back to pubs it was.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm done with Apex until King's Canyon comes back as a permanent map. After this event and spending time with it again, I came to release how boring World Edge is for my personal taste.

Way less verticality, too much variety regarding environment which doesn't make that much sense, but on the opposite not much gameplay variety regarding the location you're in, visual tone and overall color scheme I don't like, so on and so on.

I get that, maybe, according to Respawn, WE is a better balanced map, but it still feels really boring imo once you're accustomed to KC and the fun it provides.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I think I'm done with Apex until King's Canyon comes back as a permanent map. After this event and spending time with it again, I came to release how boring World Edge is for my personal taste.

Way less verticality, too much variety regarding environment which doesn't make that much sense, but on the opposite not much gameplay variety regarding the location you're in, visual tone and overall color scheme I don't like, so on and so on.

I get that, maybe, according to Respawn, WE is a better balanced map, but it still feels really boring imo once you're accustomed to KC and the fun it provides.
It's going to be the map for ranked going forward isn't it?

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Just came back to this after almost a year and can't believe how bad loot still is even at hot drops.
Also a good half of the weapons remain useless.
Still the best shooting in any br though.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017

Wasn't a fan of them in the LTM, especially without any buffs or changes so this sucks, don't need more crap clogging up the loot pool.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Also a good half of the weapons remain useless.
Not true. The vast majority of weapons are viable now, and weapon balancing from care package changes is in a good place (vanilla Havoc, for instance, is competent despite being relegated to regular loot).

Unless you're using "useless" to mean "not meta"? But I'm not even sure there is a gun meta at the moment. R99 is still strong, but it's not king.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Evo shields would be okay if you lowered the required damage to level up a bit. Right now it's too much of an investment for too little return.

Oct 31, 2017
Evo shields would be okay if you lowered the required damage to level up a bit. Right now it's too much of an investment for too little return.
I pretty much agree. This change alone would probably be enough to make it more interesting, but then they could almost become too good depending on their rarity on the map and how much they altered the values to level the tiers. As they were, they weren't really something I thought was that great. I feel like Level 4 Gold was still more useful.

I thought they were only great when you could pick them up off of people who had done the majority of the work for you.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
For the last couple weeks my +1 BP goals have been a little tough (30 kills with certain weapon types or characters, getting 4 knockdowns in certain places, winning a ranked match, etc.), but this week they are more reasonable and downright easy. I'm level 42 so I probably won't be maxing out, but maybe over the coming weeks of casual play I will finish up some old objectives.

I will probably pay the $10 for the battle pass, and maybe stick around for season 5. I'm playing on PS4 and having fun, and I have only rarely played shooters in the past decade.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
3rd legendary item in a row in apex packs. amazing. Would love to get an actual item i wanted though lmao

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Just got to Season Pass level 97, so now I have made more Apex Coins back than the (free) ones I spent on it. Nice!

ThisIsMyLife

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2020
England
ZvrC00W.jpg

Finally hit 1,000 wins for lifetime wins around a week ago so I'm quite proud :)

I think my total wins for Season 4 is now maybe 160+?

All I can say is that I've learnt a lot with this game. I was dreadful in Season 0 and Season 1 and only started to 'understand' the game in Season 2 onwards. Hated Season 3 because sniper-meta, but absolutely killing it in Season 4.

Honestly the only way to play / ENJOY this game to it's full potential is to play with a equal skilled squad. My win rate is 25%, which isn't great by any means, but winning 1 in every 4 games is good, and the only reason we lose is because of a bad RNG drop. Also me and my friends refuse to land anywhere else but Capital City/Train Yard (if it's a hot zone) and Sorting Factory (if it's a hot zone). If we landed far out all the time and took our time getting the best weapons/armour etc my win rate may be 30-40%. But that's boring really.

Also Respawn has definitely made SBMM easier/looser in this season. Which is great for players like me not always needing to play against people who have 20-50k kills, but it also sucks for the guy that has less than 1,000 kills and has to right against our squad. How does Respawn even win with this balance?

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Matchmaking is definitely miles better then in the dark times during season 3 and completely giving up on solo queuing helped as well. From what I've seen, everyone's doing better this season, me included. The super high skilled squads I almost exclusively run into just in ranked now, exactly as it should be.

RvMhgC2.png

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
For the last couple weeks my +1 BP goals have been a little tough (30 kills with certain weapon types or characters, getting 4 knockdowns in certain places, winning a ranked match, etc.), but this week they are more reasonable and downright easy. I'm level 42 so I probably won't be maxing out, but maybe over the coming weeks of casual play I will finish up some old objectives.

I will probably pay the $10 for the battle pass, and maybe stick around for season 5. I'm playing on PS4 and having fun, and I have only rarely played shooters in the past decade.
You might as well buy it, even at your pace you'll get enough Apex coins back where it'll cover half the cost.
Honestly the only way to play / ENJOY this game to it's full potential is to play with a equal skilled squad. My win rate is 25%, which isn't great by any means, but winning 1 in every 4 games is good, and the only reason we lose is because of a bad RNG drop.

Also Respawn has definitely made SBMM easier/looser in this season. Which is great for players like me not always needing to play against people who have 20-50k kills, but it also sucks for the guy that has less than 1,000 kills and has to right against our squad. How does Respawn even win with this balance?
25% win rate for a BR is outstanding. I would say anything above 10% is more than the vast majority of players; I hovered between 10-20% for other games, but have been at 5-7% for this game.
Matchmaking is definitely miles better then in the dark times during season 3 and completely giving up on solo queuing helped as well. From what I've seen, everyone's doing better this season, me included. The super high skilled squads I almost exclusively run into just in ranked now, exactly as it should be.
I feel like I still consistently run into high skill squads. Just last night I was steamrolled by a guy who had 450 wins this season; more than half of my deaths I could attribute to high level players. I understand that will definitely be a thing that happens, but for the frequency it's pretty annoying.

ThisIsMyLife

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2020
England

If you play in Europe then I'm very sure I've been killed by you a few times. Great stats!

25% win rate for a BR is outstanding. I would say anything above 10% is more than the vast majority of players; I hovered between 10-20% for other games, but have been at 5-7% for this game.

Thank you! Playing with a squad is the way to go in Apex. It's literally how it was built and designed.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I still consistently run into high skill squads. Just last night I was steamrolled by a guy who had 450 wins this season; more than half of my deaths I could attribute to high level players. I understand that will definitely be a thing that happens, but for the frequency it's pretty annoying.

I run into some of those as well, but it's not very frequent anymore. This season I had separate fights against a Mirage with 1000 season 3 wins, a Path with 1000 season 3 wins, Lifeline with 1200+ season 3 wins etc, but it feels like most enemies are average, as it should be.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
ZvrC00W.jpg

Finally hit 1,000 wins for lifetime wins around a week ago so I'm quite proud :)

I think my total wins for Season 4 is now maybe 160+?

All I can say is that I've learnt a lot with this game. I was dreadful in Season 0 and Season 1 and only started to 'understand' the game in Season 2 onwards. Hated Season 3 because sniper-meta, but absolutely killing it in Season 4.

Honestly the only way to play / ENJOY this game to it's full potential is to play with a equal skilled squad. My win rate is 25%, which isn't great by any means, but winning 1 in every 4 games is good, and the only reason we lose is because of a bad RNG drop. Also me and my friends refuse to land anywhere else but Capital City/Train Yard (if it's a hot zone) and Sorting Factory (if it's a hot zone). If we landed far out all the time and took our time getting the best weapons/armour etc my win rate may be 30-40%. But that's boring really.

RvMhgC2.png
Matchmaking has been a nightmare for me this season. I'm not good like you guys obviously are, and I'm not terrible, so I'm in the unfortunate bunch that gets put into matches as the bottom tier in Diamond/Predator lobbies. Feels bad man.

I have 10-15 terrible matches then I have 1 or 2 good ones. It's an endless cycle.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you! Playing with a squad is the way to go in Apex. It's literally how it was built and designed.
Oh absolutely. After slogging through most of S3 as a solo player I've convinced two of my friends to start it up again and the results have been much better, my win rate has only climbed 2% compared to last season but I am now at 50% Top 5 rate. My biggest hill to overcome is trying to finish off the last team who is basically all gold everything and we are not.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Made it back to Diamond last night.

Am I right to think it's al the way back down to gold again next week?

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Bought a new mousepad and tried it for the first time earlier. As it turns out, it's NOT supposed to be more diffuclt to move your mouse across the middle part of the pad, guess my mousepad was just so old it didn't work properly. It's so much nicer to move my mouse now!

Status
Not open for further replies.