• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all flexing with your pro-gamer stats and I'm out here being proud of having a 1.07 KDR.
It's about where you came from. Steady progress is steady progress. My lifetime KD for example has risen from 0.79 to now 1.1 with my Season 3 and Season 4 KD pretty much staying the same, hovering between 1.4 to 1.6.

Question, do y'all play with a regular PS4 controller? Or do you use a Pro controller with back buttons? What's your controller button layout?

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
I play on a standard DualShock 4 that has stick drift after all these years, standard PS4 (so worse frame rate then Pro), default button layout. Pretty much the first console FPS game that I've put a ton of time into, as well.

For reference, two months old screenshot, but this is what god tier stats actually look like:

Lva5E7q.jpg

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I play on a standard DualShock 4 that has stick drift after all these years, standard PS4 (so worse frame rate then Pro), default button layout. Pretty much the first console FPS game that I've put a ton of time into, as well.

For reference, two months old screenshot, but this is what god tier stats actually look like:

Lva5E7q.jpg
Tollis is a Wattson legend. Dude is insane. I watch his stuff on YouTube.

I wanna get better at the game. I dunno what I'm missing really. I guess better movement? Strafing? I dunno. And I play on a Pro too. When I played on my nephew's standard PS4, I could clearly feel the difference in terms of frame rate consistency and whatnot.

ThisIsMyLife

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2020
England

Lva5E7q.jpg

What the hell, these stats jesus. Is he playing with a XIM or Strikepack?

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Question, do y'all play with a regular PS4 controller? Or do you use a Pro controller with back buttons? What's your controller button layout?
I own a SCUF Vantage but I don't use it anymore, it never felt as comfortable as a DS4, plus the back paddles felt so stiff to the point where they feel like they will snap in half from usage at some point. That, the "bubble buttons" aka Xbox style instead of DS4 style, and the connecting/charging being a pain in the ass are some unfortunate cons to it as the swappable sticks felt great, and the extra two side buttons were fantastic.

Currently I use a regular DS4 with the Back Button Attachment. One paddle is for healing items, the other is for jumping. Button layout is default except I swap crouch and melee (I do this in every FPS when available).

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Does someone here know how FOV works? What FOV do I need to select in Warzone if I want the same as 106 in Apex Legends?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
My matchmaking has been pretty terrible this season. It is almost always me with people playing sub 100 kill characters, vs champion squads with diamond/master and thousands of kills even in Pubs. I have been bouncing between all three platforms and this is my experience, though matchmaking has been by far the best on PS4. I think if you are solo queuing and not getting paired with at least one good player, you are immediately screwed no matter how good you are. I am not great - just starting into ranked stuff and Silver 3, but hold my own and have pretty good stats, but the matchmaking just makes it feel like 1 against the world 99% of the time. I have an inordinate number of top 5s, and very few wins because of this.

Love the game though, cannot make myself stop playing.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Coming to this after Warzone and it feels almost too snappy sometimes. Like your character in Warzone is in quicksand and then you switch to Apex and can feel how smooth you can navigate and actually vault over 2 foot walls.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
It's about where you came from. Steady progress is steady progress. My lifetime KD for example has risen from 0.79 to now 1.1 with my Season 3 and Season 4 KD pretty much staying the same, hovering between 1.4 to 1.6.

My S2 KDR was 0.74, and knowing how much more of a shit I was during S1 and even worse during pre-S1, I sure as hell progressed a lot here, no doubt.

I play on a regular PS4 controller, and my button layout is the regular one except I have switched punch button with voice line button.

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Coming to this after Warzone and it feels almost too snappy sometimes. Like your character in Warzone is in quicksand and then you switch to Apex and can feel how smooth you can navigate and actually vault over 2 foot walls.

I gotta be honest, I loved this movement system in Titanfall and it does set Apex apart from other BR's on the market but the more I play Warzone the more Im starting to like the movement and how it affects the gunfights because you can't just jump over walls and bum rush enemies. You can't engage in such a direct way like Apex.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta be honest, I loved this movement system in Titanfall and it does set Apex apart from other BR's on the market but the more I play Warzone the more Im starting to like the movement and how it affects the gunfights because you can't just jump over walls and bum rush enemies. You can't engage in such a direct way like Apex.

Yeah I feel it. But I still get a little frustrated when you can't even vault over a rock when you're going up a hill. You have to go around the side and then trek up adding another 10 seconds to your trip. Lol.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Tollis is a Wattson legend. Dude is insane. I watch his stuff on YouTube.

I wanna get better at the game. I dunno what I'm missing really. I guess better movement? Strafing? I dunno. And I play on a Pro too. When I played on my nephew's standard PS4, I could clearly feel the difference in terms of frame rate consistency and whatnot.
Honestly an actually good, dependable team will do wonders for you. Apex just isn't meant to be solo-queued very successfully with SBMM enacted.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly an actually good, dependable team will do wonders for you. Apex just isn't meant to be solo-queued very successfully with SBMM enacted.
I play with my bro and nephew whenever I have the chance. Thing is though, at the end of the day I'm just looking to have a good time after a long day at work. I rarely ever play with anyone else besides them after 'testing' out other people because generally other people just get too pissy and that ticks me off more than loosing matches.

I'm not tryna play with anyone who wants to yell at me for any and every little mistake I make.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I feel it. But I still get a little frustrated when you can't even vault over a rock when you're going up a hill. You have to go around the side and then trek up adding another 10 seconds to your trip. Lol.

Yeah I've experienced this and it's super frustrating.

Plus given the number of snipers sitting on rooftops and such in Warzone, it's pretty irritating not to have much movement flexibility. The map design there often feels less thoughtful, creating a lot of scenarios that are very one-sided without giving players the tools to counterplay.

As an example, trying to push across an open space such as the spillway area in Warzone can be a nightmare, but in Apex those spaces can be really interesting with abilities and mobility.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I play with my bro and nephew whenever I have the chance. Thing is though, at the end of the day I'm just looking to have a good time after a long day at work. I rarely ever play with anyone else besides them after 'testing' out other people because generally other people just get too pissy and that ticks me off more than loosing matches.

I'm not tryna play with anyone who wants to yell at me for any and every little mistake I make.
It pays off to stick to one team too, so you can develop strategies and get better together. Also not getting too mad at mistakes is definitely a lesson I have to learn myself.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I kind of stopped playing in Season 3 because for some reason I just didn't gel with the game as well any more, and while I came back for Season 4, I've still been experiencing similar issues. I'm just not having a lot of fun on Worlds Edge, most of the time.

I think a big factor for me is that worlds edge is just jam packed with really unfortunate map design. My biggest issue, and the biggest difference with Kings Canon is that there are just a ton of spaces where it feels as though you need to commit everything to make a push.

To describe what I mean in more detail, it seems like half or more of the fighting in every game occurs in fragmented Capital city, but the difficulty with engagements here is that it's very difficult to approach the buildings without committing yourself to a very small doorway, stairwell or zipline.

As an example, the four story on Capital City is very difficult to penetrate without doing some seemingly unintended wall climbing from the outer building (which realistically, the vast majority of the community does not know how to do). Most of the time players are able to defend these buildings by simply listening for the ziplines, and gunning down whoever approaches them. For a Watson or Caustic player, these places are very easy to lock down.

There are similar problems all over the map. In trainyard the cable cars can be locked down very easily with either a caustic, or Watson (or even without if your team is attentive to the zips), inbetween trainyard and fragment is the tower which is again, only accessible via a two ziplines making pushing nearly impossible against a defensive team. Above Epicenter you have the same situation.

Even when a high risk zipline isn't the only direct approach, many of the buildings can be locked down with just a stairwell, or a pair of single-sized door ways. It's frustrating because the limited means in which to poke into these buildings means any characters that don't have either a) a strong disengage or b) a strong defensive ability become very weak.

By comparison, this issue is far less common on Kings Canon for two reasons. First, high ground often confers much more vulnerability. Most of the high ground locations are quite exposed to other players. For instance if you want to take the rooftop wooden buildings, then you expose yourself to any enemy surrounding the building, while if you want to take the inside, you run the risk of your opponents taking the roof and peeking in at you. If you take the roof tops on the airbase it's the same thing, you're completely exposed and people can get on the level of your sighline in many ways. Ziplines are also almost never the sole way of pushing a structure on Kings canyon, the only instance of this that I can think of is the top of Thunderdome, which I think was is one of the least fair final circles on Apex Legends due to how impenetrable the top area can be.

Perhaps it's just me, but this is what makes Worlds Edge feel pretty poor by comparison, much of the time, and especially in ranked where people are always looking to abuse the strongest defensive positions.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
got win number 11 on the season. Happy with it, though the final kill I think was someone dying outside the ring as we just won outta nowhere. I got the full kitted out gold prowler and on auto that thing was insane. Made getting five kills super easy.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to jump back in after playing Warzone and I keep getting reminded why I hate this game more than other BR games

The teammates are the absolute worse of any BR game. So many infuriating clueless players that rush fights solo. Had a teammate MULTIPLE times by random luck who KEPT landing solo in ranked. Had to watch after I died because of course he's half way across the map so he cant revive us and I can't leave

New changes seem decent, but I really feel like Apex is the slowest of the BR games to update the game and I still find the 3rd partying in this game to be insane and exploitative.

In the final circles, it's pretty much a game of hiding until 2 teams win so you can come in with the sweep. And the circle never ends until the end either, always ends with like a lot of the map still left over.

On top of all that, the game lost a chunk of audience with no solos, and I feel the team hero aspect makes it hard to add any interesting loot. Evo shield is cool though

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
This is so frustrating in Warzone to me. The inability to climb simple things.
You've never been able to climb head-high barriers in Call of Duty outside of the games with boost jumps. I find the limited movement in Warzone actually keeps the pace of the game feeling a lot more reasonable and predictable; there's a whole lot less of entire squads sliding down grassy hills on their knees at 40KMH.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
What I like about Warzone compared to Apex is that it rarely, really never probably, feels like you die just because you got screwed over by RNG. You don't run around minutes with no shield, or no weapon, or no optics with a gun that is actually unusable without them. The loot system in Warzone doesn't seem super satisfying since you can just buy anything you'd need, but at least it feels fair.

I'll keep playing both, they fill different roles to me. Apex feels more straight forward, shoot people in the face and bounce around. Warzone almost feels like something of a Sandbox BR to me, it's huge and chaotic and fun in that way.

Also no Caustic/Wraith/Pathfinder in Warzone thank blob!

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Running around for over a minute with nothing but a bunch of attachments and no weapons because of bad loot dispersion (then dying) is definitely the worst part of Apex, but the fluidity of the movement makes playing Warzone in comparison so hard. Apex's movement just feels so damn good. I feel sad every time I slide in Warzone.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I kind of stopped playing in Season 3 because for some reason I just didn't gel with the game as well any more, and while I came back for Season 4, I've still been experiencing similar issues. I'm just not having a lot of fun on Worlds Edge, most of the time.

I think a big factor for me is that worlds edge is just jam packed with really unfortunate map design. My biggest issue, and the biggest difference with Kings Canon is that there are just a ton of spaces where it feels as though you need to commit everything to make a push.

To describe what I mean in more detail, it seems like half or more of the fighting in every game occurs in fragmented Capital city, but the difficulty with engagements here is that it's very difficult to approach the buildings without committing yourself to a very small doorway, stairwell or zipline.

As an example, the four story on Capital City is very difficult to penetrate without doing some seemingly unintended wall climbing from the outer building (which realistically, the vast majority of the community does not know how to do). Most of the time players are able to defend these buildings by simply listening for the ziplines, and gunning down whoever approaches them. For a Watson or Caustic player, these places are very easy to lock down.

There are similar problems all over the map. In trainyard the cable cars can be locked down very easily with either a caustic, or Watson (or even without if your team is attentive to the zips), inbetween trainyard and fragment is the tower which is again, only accessible via a two ziplines making pushing nearly impossible against a defensive team. Above Epicenter you have the same situation.

Even when a high risk zipline isn't the only direct approach, many of the buildings can be locked down with just a stairwell, or a pair of single-sized door ways. It's frustrating because the limited means in which to poke into these buildings means any characters that don't have either a) a strong disengage or b) a strong defensive ability become very weak.

By comparison, this issue is far less common on Kings Canon for two reasons. First, high ground often confers much more vulnerability. Most of the high ground locations are quite exposed to other players. For instance if you want to take the rooftop wooden buildings, then you expose yourself to any enemy surrounding the building, while if you want to take the inside, you run the risk of your opponents taking the roof and peeking in at you. If you take the roof tops on the airbase it's the same thing, you're completely exposed and people can get on the level of your sighline in many ways. Ziplines are also almost never the sole way of pushing a structure on Kings canyon, the only instance of this that I can think of is the top of Thunderdome, which I think was is one of the least fair final circles on Apex Legends due to how impenetrable the top area can be.

Perhaps it's just me, but this is what makes Worlds Edge feel pretty poor by comparison, much of the time, and especially in ranked where people are always looking to abuse the strongest defensive positions.
While I do not agree with everything you said, I can appreciate how thought out your observations were.

For argument's sake, the top of the four storied building isn't as strong as you make it out to be. There are four approach points (two vertical ziplines at the edges, one long zipline from trainyard's tunnel direction and one short zipline from the third floor (which I found out can be reached from the ground if you jump from a Octane's jump pad nearby)) not to mention the wall climbing from the outside that I actually think was intended if you consider there are several indentation and support points for the observing player - which as you said might not be known by the majority of players but rather the kind of thing that benefits folks with greater map knowledge. The top area is also very susceptible to Gibby's and Bangalore's ults and is conspicuous as fuck, meaning you're very likely to be third-partied if you're exchanging shots already.

It sounds like quite a bit of your complaints would be addressed with a Crypto in the party and/or another character with similar defense-wrecking skills. I think it's high time Respawn did something about the defense oriented meta in ranked.

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

HA! That happened to me the other day and I died to the fucking gas. Could not mantle onto a simple tiny rock ledge.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
What I like about Warzone compared to Apex is that it rarely, really never probably, feels like you die just because you got screwed over by RNG. You don't run around minutes with no shield, or no weapon, or no optics with a gun that is actually unusable without them. The loot system in Warzone doesn't seem super satisfying since you can just buy anything you'd need, but at least it feels fair.

I'll keep playing both, they fill different roles to me. Apex feels more straight forward, shoot people in the face and bounce around. Warzone almost feels like something of a Sandbox BR to me, it's huge and chaotic and fun in that way.

Also no Caustic/Wraith/Pathfinder in Warzone thank blob!

Yep. This is exactly how I feel. I'll keep playing both but right now I'm only playing Warzone.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

Great stuff. I can't pinpoint it like you, but World's Edge is just less fun to me as a map.

I still very much enjoy the game that is Apex Legends, but if I had a choice, I'd choose KC any day. Which is why I'm gonna play ranked this second half of the season.
You've never been able to climb head-high barriers in Call of Duty outside of the games with boost jumps. I find the limited movement in Warzone actually keeps the pace of the game feeling a lot more reasonable and predictable; there's a whole lot less of entire squads sliding down grassy hills on their knees at 40KMH.
Preference I guess. I haven't played a COD game before Warzone. These are the 'arcade' aspects that I like about Apex. Characters with various abilities, the wild gun fights, etc.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
While I do not agree with everything you said, I can appreciate how thought out your observations were.

For argument's sake, the top of the four storied building isn't as strong as you make it out to be. There are four approach points (two vertical ziplines at the edges, one long zipline from trainyard's tunnel direction and one short zipline from the third floor (which I found out can be reached from the ground if you jump from a Octane's jump pad nearby)) not to mention the wall climbing from the outside that I actually think was intended if you consider there are several indentation and support points for the observing player - which as you said might not be known by the majority of players but rather the kind of thing that benefits folks with greater map knowledge. The top area is also very susceptible to Gibby's and Bangalore's ults and is conspicuous as fuck, meaning you're very likely to be third-partied if you're exchanging shots already.

It sounds like quite a bit of your complaints would be addressed with a Crypto in the party and/or another character with similar defense-wrecking skills. I think it's high time Respawn did something to the defense oriented meta in ranked.

You're right that the four story isn't impenetrable at all. I think that the places like the two zipline tower and the space above Epicenter and Thermal station are though (though you have to use a pathfinder to get to the one above thermal station at least).

It's not that they're neccesarily impenetrable though, it's just the commitment required to penetrate these defenses makes every push feel like a huge risk. In Kings Canyon, you don't have to take the same risks, you can much more easily peek and probe at the buildings and houses and then when you get a down, you can push in. To me it doesn't feel like that on Worlds Edge, because many of the high defensive areas don't have spaces you can threaten them from, and when you do, the only way to push onto them is via a zipline.

It doesn't matter if you've stunned their whole team with crypto, pushing a zip is still suicide if they anticipate the play. In general I really don't like ziplines. I feel like much of the design of the new map is poor, and many areas try to balance themselves out by placing a zipline as an approach. But when monitored by a defensive team, ziplines are a no-go. Cypto is also fine if you have a team of Apex predators at your side to push in sync with the emp, but my friends aren't like that. I feel that that level of coordination is really required to get value out of Crpyto and that only really comes in to play at high levels of play.

Also, the combination of tall buildings and zipline accessibility creates some serious issues with third parties. While it's easy to monitor a zipline and keep another team away, once a fight starts it's often the case that another team pushes up under the building (which is tall enough that you don't hear any footsteps on the ground floor), then suddenly they zip up and they're on top of you. Again, it makes you want to play Watson.

Also the problem with the recent grenade nerf is that it doesn't nerf defensive play at all, it buffs it. It means that people have less grenades so their team is less Watson dependent, but all that means is that you can run these defensive strategies even without Watson much of the time. Previously grenades were super useful, even against Watson because after the generator was destroyed you would use grenades to take out her traps and push their team off of their space.

Last edited:

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Is it just me, or has the teamplay with randoms improved over the last couple of days? Pretty much all the time, I had squadmates that actually cared about their squad. Same thing with Warzone - which, btw, I think, is a great addition to Apex.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Wanted to try Warzone solo mode and played one match, someone runs up to me from behind and kills me from up close with no footsteps. People complain about sound in Apex but it's actually almost always working correctly, while in Warzone I might as well play with the sound off. It can be an interesting distraction if you're feeling burned out on Apex but I think that it is miles behind it in most areas, including sound.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
If that's the case then that's a freaking broken perk. Revenant has a silent step but only when he's crouching. No one should be able to literally run up behind you and open fire without you hearing anything.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Matchmaking is definitely miles better then in the dark times during season 3 and completely giving up on solo queuing helped as well. From what I've seen, everyone's doing better this season, me included. The super high skilled squads I almost exclusively run into just in ranked now, exactly as it should be.

RvMhgC2.png

Hmm, weird, because I have an opposite experience.

My account KDR is 4.9, but my season 4 KDR is like, as low as 3.5. I find it way harder, and I always run into teams of stacked Apex predators in my unranked games.

Maybe I've just gotten quite a bit worse, because I did take a break for a while. I also play with friends, but some of them are very very low skill, one of my buddies that I'm playing with at the moment is level 20, doesn't play shooters and generally just struggles in every gunfight. The most I've seen him deal is 300 ish damage. It's definitely harder playing with people that you can't count on.

Out of curiosity do you have any footage of you playing? What are your control settings? What guns are you leaning towards this season?

Wanted to try Warzone solo mode and played one match, someone runs up to me from behind and kills me from up close with no footsteps. People complain about sound in Apex but it's actually almost always working correctly, while in Warzone I might as well play with the sound off. It can be an interesting distraction if you're feeling burned out on Apex but I think that it is miles behind it in most areas, including sound.

Agreed 100%.

Sound is garbage. Time to kill is so low that you often die without a gunfight. Looting feels fiddly (like why do I have to hold to pick up a gun when I don't have one?). Movement is cumbersome (I don't want to b-hop around, but it's frustrating not to be able to mantle small rocks on a hillside), ping system is awkward due to button mapping. The drop is a chaotic mess because you don't jump together and the map is huge.

It's also missing a sense of fairness that Apex has. For instance reviving a team mate in Apex has is the result of a direct interaction between the team that just downed you, and your team. That means if you grab the banners and take them to a beacon, you earned that respawn as the opposing team had an opportunity to counter play it. In Warzone, if the team just happens to have enough cash, they revive you. The game is far less readable too, in Apex if a guy gets eliminated and revived, you can count that guy out. In Warzone he might be back in right where was in 20 seconds if he wins a quick Gulag fight, or he might be revived on the opposite side of the map by a team mate that isn't even near you.

I use the Back Button Attachment, but otherwise, regular controller. One paddle on L3 so I don't have to hold the stick in to run, the other D-Pad Up for healing.

You never have to 'hold the stick to run'. It's one click to initiate a sprint.

Last edited:

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
This is what I think happens, but it happens often. Everybody with dead silence at the beginning of the match? Idk.
You are right, it seems improbable that this is the only reason. I haven't really experienced this situation myself, though. This could either be because I'm lucky or because of my audio setting: I've set the audio mix to studio reference and use studio headphones, where the bass is moderate and the highs are rather clear (compared to my standard headphones). Maybe setting it to Boost High could help - as footsteps are on the higher end of the frequency spectrum. But maybe there is really something wrong with the way the game handles footsteps.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
The content droughts in this game are unbearable. You'd think with the added EA investment/support they'd get better at delivering somewhat meaningful content (regularly rotating LTMs, balancing underpowered legends, bug fixes) a bit more regularly, but their definition of content is bringing back duos or King's Canyon again and again...arguably two things that should be in the game by default.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The content droughts in this game are unbearable. You'd think with the added EA investment/support they'd get better at delivering somewhat meaningful content (regularly rotating LTMs, balancing underpowered legends, bug fixes) a bit more regularly, but their definition of content is bringing back duos or King's Canyon again and again...arguably two things that should be in the game by default.
We're just off an event. I imagine things might slow down a bit with the epidemic.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
We're just off an event. I imagine things might slow down a bit with the epidemic.

The event could've easily been a week long. It was basically an LTM stretched out over two weeks long and some (exorbitantly priced) skins.

They've been dripping content since day one so I don't think the pandemic is slowing anything down too much.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
The game is pretty cool and engaging as it is. Keep it easy, devs, and stay healthy.
Chess developers, though, are lazy bastards. They haven't added new characters since... I don't know when. The queen needs to be nerfed and pawns need another buff.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Also fuck their respawn system. They expect us to carry that pawn all the way to the edge of the map and then we can't even keep it!? THats bull!
Also, why is the check system so overpowered, it's like if my opponent gets check, he gets to control the flow of the game, fucking horseshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.