• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a great game. I'm hoping whatever they do bring to the game makes players come back, but as long as I can still find matches I'm happy. Just hoping for Titanfall 3 eventually.

Yung Kyubii

Banned
May 12, 2018
I would still be playing it regularly if I didn't have some exams to prep for.

The only explanation I have for the no content drop, has to be that employees are not having it with overtime.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The game is so awesome, and I love playing it, but they haven't given me a single reason to spend any money on it. I feel kind of bad because I've gotten a ton of enjoyment out of it, but still haven't spent a dime. Maybe I should just buy the battle pass anyway as kind of a "technically I'm just paying for the game" sort of thing.

That's where I was (Though I've fallen off, in part due to the battle pass). I felt they'd earned some of my money. I regret spending it on the battle pass though. I worry that sent a message of positivity about the battle pass, which after playing with it, I very much don't feel.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Well their battlepass is pretty shit, and their MTX's are incredibly bland for what you pay for. Like seriously, $20 for a skin and those are what the provide??

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Can they at least make battle pass progression faster

I grinded to level 40 and lost any interest, it's too slow

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I played the game religiously at launch and was looking forward to buying the battle pass (which I've never done for any BR) practically sight unseen to support Respawn, but found myself so reluctant to shell out $10 once I actually saw what was being offered. I only played for like a week or two after the pass launched, because the gameplay was already starting to feel a bit stale to me, and there wasn't a carrot on a stick to incentivize me to improve. I don't think I've touched the game since early April, which actually really bums me out because I loved so much of what they were doing.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played Apex Legends for a bit and while I find the game itself very enjoyable the store and the reward system is one of the most absurdly grinding and unrewarding experiences I've ever seen and I include some of those grindfest mobile "RPGs" in that mix. Again, the game itself is fine but the rewards, progression and monetization is some of the most abysmal I've seen in any game.

Nov 15, 2017
Tf2 had an amazing post launch support. added a bunch of maps, new Titan and experimental game modes.
I still play Apex but I agree they need to do something, the battle pass was very underwhelming and they need something to be done with the map. Also please add wallrunning and at least double jumping. And we need more characters.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I play the game basically every day because it's incredibly well designed and very fun.

The "problem", from a mass market/profitability perspective, with Respawn's games is that they value and focus on making good mechanical games first rather than psychological/sociological mechanisms that 'encourage' user engagement. They've been leaning more into the second focus with each successive game, but have still been prioritizing the game/mechanical play first and foremost. Apex is definitely the game they've leaned into the hardest in regards to designing psychological/social systems, but it's still very much a mechanics-first experience.

I respect them so much for this, but the average consumer doesn't value excellent game design and production values in multiplayer games as much as they do strong psychological/sociological systems that keep them coming back and thinking about the product IMO.

No longer can multiplayer games just be fun at a pure, mechanical gameplay level and succeed. The original Titanfall is the textbook example.
This is as wrong as can be. Infinity Ward pioneered and popularized the use of progression systems in AAA multiplayer.
Hell, Modern Warfare 2 has more "psychological/sociological" systems than Apex Legends, so it certainly isn't their lack of experience or a directional choice to exclude them. Titanfall 2 had a very modern suite of systems and still failed to retain players, so this certainly speaks to the fact that their retention issues are stemming from gameplay and not their systems design.

Oct 27, 2017
I play the game basically every day because it's incredibly well designed and very fun.

The "problem", from a mass market/profitability perspective, with Respawn's games is that they value and focus on making good mechanical games first rather than psychological/sociological mechanisms that 'encourage' user engagement. They've been leaning more into the second focus with each successive game, but have still been prioritizing the game/mechanical play first and foremost. Apex is definitely the game they've leaned into the hardest in regards to designing psychological/social systems, but it's still very much a mechanics-first experience.

I respect them so much for this, but the average consumer doesn't value excellent game design and production values in multiplayer games as much as they do strong psychological/sociological systems that keep them coming back and thinking about the product IMO.

No longer can multiplayer games just be fun at a pure, mechanical gameplay level and succeed. The original Titanfall is the textbook example.
Titanfall was great but there was literally 3 months before the first update. Why would I stick around when I'm doing the same thing over and over again. No new maps or guns for 3 whole months. Respawn seemingly hasn't learned after 3 games how to kee the community engaged even with good gameplay.

There's a medium between crunching your employees to death and providing satisfying post launch content. Plenty of other multiplayer games have fine content drops and we don't hear about crazy crunching. Division 2, halo 5, gears 4 etc

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Me and my friend got bored after a couple weeks, there's been no reason to return. Do they even have Duos yet?

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why EA isn't throwing more resources at Apex. This is like the only hit game they have this year with Anthem being a disaster.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hopefully this convinces them to ditch the f2p model and go back to making full AAA games with actual campaigns and more than multiplayer mode.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Lol I can't get behind you guys. No new character for like a month and respawns been somehow not updating enough or the game is toast.

Everything is so dramatic around here. It comes out, fortnite is 'dead' revenue drops, apex is 'dead'.

Gonna take a sec for the next update, they already said new characters, maps and weapons are in development. It'll be fine. Especially if they didn't blow their team up in numbers due to the initial success to pump out crap.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's not dead by any means, I'd still play but yea, no new content that i'm interested in yet. I'm sure they made whatever their investment was back, at least.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
as long as they aren't in danger of getting shuttered, they can stay the course as far as i'm concerned. i don't need this to be a commercial juggernaut or a cultural touchstone. still having a lot of fun whenever i play, still getting into matches instantly, and i'm not the type to need something to grind for or pay real money for cosmetics.

i'm fine with getting a new hero, a new gun, and maybe something new with the map every time a new season drops. it sucks balls that so many gamers require multiplayers games to pump out updates constantly to keep their attention.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I can't get behind you guys. No new character for like a month and respawns been somehow not updating enough or the game is toast.

Everything is so dramatic around here. It comes out, fortnite is 'dead' revenue drops, apex is 'dead'.

Gonna take a sec for the next update, they already said new characters, maps and weapons are in development. It'll be fine. Especially if they didn't blow their team up in numbers due to the initial success to pump out crap.
The battlepass came out 2 months ago and we won't here anything else about the season 2 until e3 in a few weeks. Not having any events, characters etc for 3 months at a time isn't the way to go

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
1. Fast updates
2. Inhumane crunch conditions

Pick one.

3. Release three months later and get a head start on the next seasons content.

Some players had gotten to play the like 8 months before it was announced and they were playtesting Octane (a character that only come out 6 weeks in), so it's not like they weren't developing post launch content. Just get a head start on it so you don't tank your game with long, brutal droughts.

This also goes for something like Sea of Thieves. Great game that took a year to get proper content.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I love the game and would have gladly paid for the battle pass, but it just wasn't very good. Maybe need to hire a few artists to make some of the skins more appealing.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Who'd have thunk that a game with fundamental issues involving hacking and a lack of customizability like removing puke-inducing head bob would fail to revitalize after the developers add not much else than more monetization to it.

People asking for a battlepass are the reason this game's going to die. It's like launching a new MOBA and thinking you can support it like Dota 2 without any of the loyal All-Stars audience.

Create a better game with better free progression, get stable numbers and then start milking rubes.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
I (and a million other people, probably) bought the battle pass.

The battle pass was $10 is three months long, and sadly, really not worth the purchase price.

Loot ticks are a $1, and give you a tiny chance of opening something that you'll want.

Every other legendary item on the store is $18

If this was an experiment to find out how much people would be willing to pay for skins I think Respawn has its answer.

Doesn't help when the skins are terrible

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game being free, they can still make a comeback at any point if they produce the right content. It's not like Fortnite was an instant hit either. Well Apex was an instant hit, but it is in no way doomed even now.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
their battle pass sucks. way too grindy and i don't want to play 2+ hr every night in order to get to level 110, and i don't want to pay real money either. the rewards aren't even that good.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
BR games trends needs to die already. Too many in the market + they die quickly the only exception being fortnite. Hopefully this will teach other companies to just move on and find something more original.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The devs are still working, just on different projects. Respawn has at least 3 projects: Apex, Star Wars, and Titanfall 3.

The resources are just not being allocated into Apex that probably should have been, given how much of a success it was.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
ITT some people act like you need every employee working 18 hours to sbe able to update a map once a month. Lol

Oct 29, 2017
3. Release three months later and get a head start on the next seasons content.

Some players had gotten to play the like 8 months before it was announced and they were playtesting Octane (a character that only come out 6 weeks in), so it's not like they weren't developing post launch content. Just get a head start on it so you don't tank your game with long, brutal droughts.

This also goes for something like Sea of Thieves. Great game that took a year to get proper content.

I don't see how people wouldn't complain about the same thing 3 weeks after postponing the launch.

Respawn was getting complaints about updates within like 3 weeks of the game being out. People expect Fortnite levels of content updates but they're simply not sustainable.

Not that the game is immune from criticism, like the game pass itself being too grindy even after you pay and the quality of the skins themselves (they're just kinda ugly tbh). But in terms of complaining about content trickle, nah, this is fine. I'd rather have this than work their devs to death.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Battle Royale games tend to have a very short shelf life for me. If ever I play something else (as I am wont to do) and come back, I find that I'm too far behind on the skill curve to stand much of a chance or have fun.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
There hasn't been a single thing in their skin shop that has interested me and I have not played with anyone that told me they bought a skin. In fornite I've spent more than I would like to admit.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I feel sorry for the talented game designers over at Respawn because they're being hamstrung by possibly the worst MTX and progression designers in the industry. Had been fully expecting a headline like this to drop because their Live Team has taken a monstrously successful launch and squandered it like I've never seen before.

I play the game a lot still, but I'd be damned if there's any sane way to even spend money in it to support it, which is SOMEWHAT OF A PROBLEM for a Free To Play game.

- Minimum buy in is ÂŁ8 for 1000 coins, 10 random loot boxes. Often contain absolute shit. Stat Trackers as unlocks. Plain banner backgrounds are unlocks. Animated gif banners are classed as Legendary and could take up your every 30 loot box guaranteed Legendary slot.
- Legendary Skins, the only things vaguely worth their salt, are 1800 coins. But only available to unlock if they're up as a slot on the Weekly Store which has 6 slots. That's ÂŁ15.99 for one skin, usually only 1-2 of which are available on the Weekly Store every 7 days, and they're out of their god damn minds.
- Crafting Metals, the currency you're supposed to use to craft items, is only obtainable through Loot Boxes, and you don't get much of it at all.
- Past Level 100 and Level 93 in the Battle Pass, there is no longer any way to earn Loot boxes in the game.
- You do earn Red Tokens through every level up past 100. These can be spent on unlocking the 3 extra characters, or crafting special exclusive gear in the Weekly Shop from Legendary items. But after you've unlocked all the characters, this currency can barely be used despite it being the one you can infinitely earn. (Just last week there was nothing to spend Red Tokens on in the store for most of the week).
- One item in the game transcends Legendary status and is an Heirloom item for the character Wraith: a knife that reskins her melee attacks. Presumably there will be one of these per Legend. It is a guaranteed drop for 500 packs and they're out of their god damn minds.

The Crafting Metals and Red Token system has basically been a fundamentally broken one since launch, and its not a case of 'crunching' to fix it. Whoever is in charge of the MTX system over there still thinks its a great system and thus fully deserves to have headlines like this photocopied and dumped on their desk every hour.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The battle pass is so garbage. I would have happily paid them 10 bucks but at least give me a decent excuse.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
There hasn't been a single thing in their skin shop that has interested me and I have not played with anyone that told me they bought a skin. In fornite I've spent more than I would like to admit.

I think that's really the thing.. They can only make skins specific to individual heroes, so output is limited by the heros they've already made. Fortnite can make whatever they want since everyone is essentially the same character.

BTW, everyone whining about 'inhuman hours' really is missing the point. If they wanted to spin development up EA has all the means and money in the world to make it happen for Respawn.

Oct 31, 2017
This is as wrong as can be. Infinity Ward pioneered and popularized the use of progression systems in AAA multiplayer.
Hell, Modern Warfare 2 has more "psychological/sociological" systems than Apex Legends, so it certainly isn't their lack of experience or a directional choice to exclude them. Titanfall 2 had a very modern suite of systems and still failed to retain players, so this certainly speaks to the fact that their retention issues are stemming from gameplay and not their systems design.

You are right that IW was one of the pioneers towards designing multiplayer suites with engagement hooks, and I do think it's quite ironic.

And the gameplay design does have something to do with it, namely that the games are too mechanically tough/intense for the average player to pick up and become satisfyingly good at IMO. And the sensation of genuine play improvement is not enough of a motivator for a majority of people, especially when it's very hard for the average player to even get to moments where they feel satisfaction from self-improvement of playing.

It leads to the people who really "get" their mechanical gameplay really working over the average player, which in turn drives average players away. And a lot of the reason the average player bails is because they don't have these 'mini-successes' to work towards, as the core motivator for the games has been simply 'joy of playing', which I think they've done better than just about any other studio in the last decade.

But with 'joy of play' being the only strong motivator, that inherently introduces this schism between those who play to just play, and those who want to always be having 'fun' when playing a game.

Each game they've tried to course correct the game design to adjust for this, while still retaining their game design identity (even though they've been compromising it a little more each time imo, as I feel each successive game has been inferior gameplay-wise to the one prior).

In TF1, titans had regen shields + could mix/match weapons/kit & it was a game designed around 50/50 pilot/titan interplay. Attrition was the core mode because it highlighted the game design loop: constantly be killing mobs -> pilots -> titans. The core mechanical gameplay loop was the draw of the game.

In TF2 (at least initially, primarily), they nerf the pilot/titan interplay by making the titans strict "role"/class archetypes and turning shields into a resource that depletes and is harder to reacquire. It turned the dynamic to something more like 65/35 pilot-to-titan gameplay and they flattened the maps out and simplified their structure. Both of these decisions were to try and bring the more traditional FPS gameplay to the front, simplifying the controlled chaos of TF1 (to its detriment IMO).

With Apex, they then remove the titans entirely, strip away double jumping/wall running, and then lean more into class archetypes/characters at the forefront of the game experience. The game design has been made even more flat and even slower.

Personally, I've thought their game design has gotten worse with each game, even if all three have been incredible. I'm the kind of player who plays more for the 'joy of play'/play for plays sake, rather than for social/intellectual/psychological reasons, so each game has been weaker than the last for me, but I've still clearly enjoyed them.

Titanfall was great but there was literally 3 months before the first update. Why would I stick around when I'm doing the same thing over and over again. No new maps or guns for 3 whole months. Respawn seemingly hasn't learned after 3 games how to kee the community engaged even with good gameplay.

There's a medium between crunching your employees to death and providing satisfying post launch content. Plenty of other multiplayer games have fine content drops and we don't hear about crazy crunching. Division 2, halo 5, gears 4 etc

Why play tetris when all it is is dropping the same set of blocks over and over again, going on 3 decades?

You are right that Respawn could definitely be better with their post launch support and the systems that keep players engaged.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
1. Fast updates
2. Inhumane crunch conditions

Pick one.

We have games from much smaller studios like Paladins from Hi-Rez which deliver more content, and most notably, pack their games with more stuff for players to 'do'.

Apex's problem isn't just the sheer lack of content, but the lack of compelling design around it's accomplishments. Outside of the battle pass, there's nothing to progress towards in the game.

Even Titanfall, had you levelling up weapons and Titan's for rewards. Call of Duty has you working towards challenges for weapon cammos. This stuff is important and combined with changes to the meta game, makes players feel like they're continually learning and progressing by playing the game.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
The skins are... basically recolors and the gun skins are too expensive. Give us some wildly different options Respawn!

EDIT: Also.. they could at least tease new guns and heroes, I still don't know why they aren't doing that.

EDIT 2: EA should be pushing all their weight behind this game.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how people wouldn't complain about the same thing 3 weeks after postponing the launch.

You release the same game with the same content. Except now they've Season 1 and 2 content banked. They're like 4 months ahead and can announce and release content at a faster pace. All of these games have content come out of more efficiently in time once initial development is completed. Even something like Blackout is supported much better than it was in it's first handful of months.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can see the Apex dev team soon having a lot more time to relax.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Respawn was getting complaints about updates within like 3 weeks of the game being out. People expect Fortnite levels of content updates but they're simply not sustainable.

Not that the game is immune from criticism, like the game pass itself being too grindy even after you pay and the quality of the skins themselves (they're just kinda ugly tbh). But in terms of complaining about content trickle, nah, this is fine. I'd rather have this than work their devs to death.
They haven't even released additional modes yet, there's a middle ground between your two scenarios, seems more like they had no real post release plan, outside of a couple things, like the new weapon, new character and Battlepass and have been caught of guard by the insane instant success (not too surprising given just how insane it was and them working on a AAA Star Wars game). They don't have to match EPIC's pace for updates to keep people happy, sure some would complain that they aren't, but the current pace just leaves the game lacking and stale.
Their communication hasn't been great either, which plays into the whole doom and gloom attitude surrounding the game at the moment, like if season 2 starts with a massive update that adds a whole lot of wanted features, I'm sure plenty will quickly and happily jump back on, forgetting the drought.