• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
What is EA's strategy? Where is their golden goose? Are they betting the farm on FIFA?

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
https://dotesports.com/apex-legends/news/revenue-drops-again

Respawn makes good games but i feel like their post-launch really sucks,just like with Titanfall 2. A great game with mediocre post-launch support.

This. I don't know why I always stick with COD but (although I think they're better games) I never played more than a month of TF1 and 2. Same thing with Apex. I play a match like once a week while I play at least every other day a BLOPS4 match.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Its a shame because its fun but just not varied enough. I don't know that they need an entirely new map but even making changes to the current one would be great. Also solo, needs Solo I would still be playing this a bunch if it had Solo.

Oct 29, 2017
They haven't even released additional modes yet, there's a middle ground between your two scenarios, seems more like they had no real post release plan, outside of a couple things, like the new weapon, new character and Battlepass and have been caught of guard by the insane instant success (not too surprising given just how insane it was and them working on a AAA Star Wars game). They don't have to match EPIC's pace for updates to keep people happy, sure some would complain that they aren't, but the current pace just leaves the game lacking and stale.
Their communication hasn't been great either, which plays into the whole doom and gloom attitude surrounding the game at the moment, like if season 2 starts with a massive update that adds a whole lot of wanted features, I'm sure plenty will quickly and happily jump back on, forgetting the drought.

The bolded I think is what is the likelier scenario. Fewer but bigger updates. I might be wrong, the updates themselves might languish, and if that's the case I wouldn't go to bat for the current content trickle.

It's just that discussion forms around updates that mirror "lazy devs" arguments in both concept and misinformation. "how hard is it to change the map around", as if it's a thing you do in 20 minutes just to make people feel like the game is getting updates. I'd be more inclined to just chill with the doom and gloom and see if the next battle pass is also underwhelming to identify a kind of pattern.

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
Lost so much momentum so quick. To the average player, it seems like they haven't made 1 adjustment to the game since launch and you just can't get away with that anymore in this market.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I play the game basically every day because it's incredibly well designed and very fun.

The "problem", from a mass market/profitability perspective, with Respawn's games is that they value and focus on making good mechanical games first rather than psychological/sociological mechanisms that 'encourage' user engagement. They've been leaning more into the second focus with each successive game, but have still been prioritizing the game/mechanical play first and foremost. Apex is definitely the game they've leaned into the hardest in regards to designing psychological/social systems, but it's still very much a mechanics-first experience.

I respect them so much for this, but the average consumer doesn't value excellent game design and production values in multiplayer games as much as they do strong psychological/sociological systems that keep them coming back and thinking about the product IMO.

No longer can multiplayer games just be fun at a pure, mechanical gameplay level and succeed. The original Titanfall is the textbook example.

It's weird that Respawn of all studios has trouble coming to grips with this, considering they're the successor studio to the one that made Call of Duty 4. That game set the gold standard for applying non-gameplay hooks to multiplayer shooters keep people coming back. The unlocks, level ups, skins, animations/sounds, etc.

You'd think they'd be leading the way on this. Instead they made one of the least satisfying in-game purchase I've ever made in their first season pass. I find their normal unlock grind in the Titanfall games more compelling than this thing that I could've opted not to buy at all. They don't seem to get how to make this kind of thing work.

This really isn't about crunch. If the battle pass was compelling, retention would be much higher. If it needed more time for them to create a compelling battle pass, then the game should've been delayed or had a normal "beta" period to buy some time instead of launching as a full release. I sincerely think it may actually be pushing people away, although I have no data to support that. I know for me personally, I was straight-up demoralized by the slow grind and the abysmal unlocks when I did finally level it up. I enjoyed the game more before I added the layer of the battle pass over it.

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's still the best BR on the market IMO, but the season pass was a total bust. Hopefully they've got some neat stuff coming soon.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Respawn is still in that MW2 mentality where they can let the game with no substantial updatesfor months

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Apex is pretty much the only game I've been playing since it launched. Of course I want some more modes, map updates and a better battle pass. But the hold up isn't causing me to stop playing.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The bolded I think is what is the likelier scenario. Fewer but bigger updates. I might be wrong, the updates themselves might languish, and if that's the case I wouldn't go to bat for the current content trickle.

It's just that discussion forms around updates that mirror "lazy devs" arguments in both concept and misinformation. "how hard is it to change the map around", as if it's a thing you do in 20 minutes just to make people feel like the game is getting updates. I'd be ore inclined to just chill with the doom and gloom and see if the next battle pass is also underwhelming to identify a kind of pattern.
What I expect too, hopefully the drought has given them enough time to get their feet under them and they communicate well how they'll be sticking to something like 1 or 2 big updates every few months, fully setting expectations on how they'll run the game from then on. Because as of now Fortnite has set expectations for them due to how Apex blew up and they clearly have no interest in committing to the unhealthy requirements to achieve that type of schedule.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
I still love the game to death and it might just be mechanically the most enjoyable fps game ever for me.

Still, there are some baffling design choises.

The hitboxes are just fucking stupid and there are no ways to fix them anymore. Who thought that it's a good idea to NOT make them the same size?

Wraith is too small and runs like a dork, it's so hard to hit the lanky Pathfinder and Gibraltar/Caustic are just unnesecessarily large lumps of meat.

Also, I still have had zero reason to give them any money. Season Pass is garbage and so are all the cosmetics. I want to give you my money, Respawn!

I just hope they don't fuck this game up so I can keep finding matches. The core gameplay is just that good.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
There's a lot that needs to change with the battle pass that are not related to crunch in order to make it more appealing.

Skins aside, XP gain needs fixing and they need to run XP events like they promised. Neither of those seem like major crunch factors.

Also, fix the goddamn skin pricing and economy in general. Give us crafting mats. Let us use red tokens on fucking something.

Dental Plan

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is going to make me sound old (which I am) but what happened when a Multiplayer game could just hold peoples attention with gameplay alone. Now games need all sorts of bells and whistles.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Note sure if most players came from Fortnite or were expecting changes/content additions like in Fortnite though. I liked the gameplay itself, the music and performance and stuff, but somehow our team never stuck with the game. We're back to PUBG now, which is still doing well, though there is still so much I dislike about the game ^^

Twitch numbers are down by a huge amount as well, but that's to be expected, I mean they are no longer paying people or at least the "big" ones for it. Compared to BFV the Twitch numbers at least are still so much higher...friends tried out Firestorm yesterday and there were like 4xx people watch BFV streams.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
[long post -- snipped for length]
I don't dispute that Respawn are masters of game feel and mechanics. But--and this is a big but--they are absolutely terrible at making deep games, and this is what I'm referring to when I say in other posts that Respawn's games are all flat experiences. You can't get better at Apex Legends. You're either good or you're bad. There's no skills unique to the game aside from the very low knowledge barrier. If you look at games with long retention tails, they're all much deeper games on both a gameplay and progression level. It's not a terrible surprise given that Respawn has worked in 1-3 year release cycles in perpetuity, and their IW-era products have been judged on the strength of sales and not retention in the past, but it's really a damn shame they still haven't learned their lesson after two Titanfall games with awful D7-D30 retention.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Oh no, not less! What if it's only enough to sustain future development on the game at the pace they intend? Oh noooo.....

viral

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to make me sound old (which I am) but what happened when a Multiplayer game could just hold peoples attention with gameplay alone. Now games need all sorts of bells and whistles.

That's because there are a lot more options now. Back in the day you had like 5 popular multiplayer games, so you just had to stick with what you got. Now if you get bored of something only just a little but, you can jump to like a hundred other games.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The "Fortnite Killer" moniker from online communities may have been slightly premature...

Man. EA really doesn't have much going on huh? Star Wars should hit hard, but this would have been amazing to keep up massive monthly revenue.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of Activision, Bungie and Destiny - EA giving Respawn the freedom to control the trajectory of their own game, but there's no way a single studio could support the game enough for it to grow. Destiny eventually needed the help of an additional developer and I expect Apex Legends will go the same way.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Crazy how the success of games today is tied to how good playing dress up is on your fake characters. Apex is fun, I could give a shit that the skins suck.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Those old multiplayer games had dozens of maps and most could be modded to hell and back.

This game has one (largeish) map and no mods.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I've being playing Looney Tunes World of Mayhem on my cellphone and it's incredible the amount of time I can play that game and earn a lot of stuff without spending one cent, I did the comparison and it boggles me how you get absolutely nothing for playing Apex. It's sad because the game is quite good but a person can only do the same for so long without any motivation.

So again, content is not a problem imo, people would be playing (engaged) if they would have an horizon.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
BR games trends needs to die already. Too many in the market + they die quickly the only exception being fortnite. Hopefully this will teach other companies to just move on and find something more original.
What about PUBG?

Apex just doesn't offer enough. And PUBG doesn't do weekly updates, so they don't even need to match Fortnite.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I've being playing Looney Tunes World of Mayhem on my cellphone and it's incredible the amount of time I can play that game and earn a lot of stuff without spending one cent, I did the comparison and it boggles me how you get absolutely nothing for playing Apex. It's sad because the game is quite good but a person can only do the same for so long without any motivation.

So again, content is not a problem imo, people would be playing (engaged) if they would have an horizon.
What's sad is that you base your enjoyment of a great video game on what fake dress up items you earn.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
What's sad is that you base your enjoyment of a great video game on what fake dress up items you earn.

No, I said the game is very good but you can only play the same for a certain amount of time. It was phenomenal for a month but after a while you get uninterested of doing the same, it happens with everything in life. That's a reason for people to leave, that doesn't mean the game is not good, is just not engaging anymore.

It's like playing an exhibition match on FIFA and that's the only thing you can do, even if it's the best sports game ever made you can only play a single match for so long before being bored of it.

Oct 17, 2018
They're simply not updating it enough. Doesn't have to be anything drastic, but at least some gun rebalances every once in a while. Haven't we only had 1 gun rebalance update?

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the 2nd season pass won't be enough to bring people back. But we'll see

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Cool whatever, the developers aren't being worked like dogs
And ironically, gamers hate that the content is so slow, people want more and more and few think about the developers making that content.

It's a catch 22. Do you want more weekly stuff and have developers worked to the bone or save them and have content slowly roll out but at the cost of the fanbase opting to go elsewhere because their needs are costly changing.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the game, but I'm burnt out of battle royale games and the battle pass was really lacking. The game doesn't even reward you for leveling up and a lot of the cosemetics are not great.

The game doesn't need to be updated as constantly as Fortnite and it's not fair to workers, but the game needs more interesting stuff and rewards.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I still love the game, and wasn't mad about the season pass (didn't buy tho). I'm just playing Sekiro (*cough* Rocket League) right now.

phatmac

Dec 18, 2017
They should've followed mobile games and keeping user retention with new challenges to unlock and daily quests to complete. They have this with the battle pass, but the stuff that you get from it are unappealing. They need a new artist to get a more appealing skins for the game and lower the shop prices or at least have some more discounts.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Pass was lame with few actual rewards. Nothing to look forward to, and newcomers get smoked by people playing day one.

A solo mode would probably breathe some life into it though.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017

The game actually rewards you less the more time you put into it. I'm at the point where, according to the game's progression system, I'm due for three more Apex Crates or whatever, and then I'll never get one ever again... unless I buy one!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The game actually rewards you less the more time you put into it. I'm at the point where, according to the game's progression system, I'm due for three more Apex Crates or whatever, and then I'll never get one ever again... unless I buy one!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not playing much these days so in about a week I leveled up just once, got a shining number 35 to use on my profile. I need to reach 42 to get a new crate, I don't think I'll make it before the season's over.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
well, their unprecedented, multi-million dollar influencer contracts have all mostly ended and unfortunately it shows.
Its losing "IT" status. It's a good game though, so so now that it's forced to stand on it's own merits, it'll equalize out and I'm sure over time will be fine.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Dota 2 can survive without having to release new hero every months, let alone weekly. Fortnite and modern multiplayer have really poisoned the well in this regard.

Dota 2 cleverly used community content to augment it though. They have tons of skins and a deep roster. Apex has neither.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. I don't know the economics of the situation, but if this allows them to keep a somewhat sizeable population while adequately covering the costs of development I see no reason why this should be considered problematic.
What about "games do badly" sounds like it wouldn't lead to layoffs down the line?