• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I'll play again when they add a Solo mode. Love the game but friends always played in their own group of 3 and I'm sick of randoms (and no offence, I only like to play games solo or with people I know).

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Oh, crap I didn't realize that this article was based on SuperData research.

I mean, this news is believable, but still, the source is bad.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Crazy how the success of games today is tied to how good playing dress up is on your fake characters. Apex is fun, I could give a shit that the skins suck.
Throwing a ball at a wall is fun too, but without an actual worthwhile goal, I'll get bored and go and have fun elsewhere pretty quickly. Finding something that's fun is extremely easy. Engaging and fun for a very long time? Less so.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool whatever, the developers aren't being worked like dogs
This isn't the issue tbh.

The game is still amazingly fun it doesn't need a bunch of new content and map changes to promote monetizaiton.

They need actually good loot.

I was for sure gonna order the BP before it released. Then I saw what was in it. BORING.

The vast majority of Apex loot, skins and whatnot, are garbage and boring.

I almost bought the battlepass solely to support Respawn but meh.

Hope they bring it next round.

Oct 25, 2017
Dota 2 can survive without having to release new hero every months, let alone weekly. Fortnite and modern multiplayer have really poisoned the well in this regard.
Not to be an ass (I really like Apex Legends) but Dota 2 is also a significantly better game, especially for playing over long periods of time. It doesn't need more content to thrive, it just needs a solid level of competition. A game like Apex just doesn't have the same depth and constant engagement throughout a match to rely 100% on its gameplay for longevity, which is unfortunate and leads to a need for more "content" updates for most people. Not that any of that would bring me back, personally. Not into grinding skins or playing new maps/characters at all really.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Respawn just made everything in the store cost $10 I'd probably buy a lot of stuff. Instead I have bought exactly nothing. They have everything priced at $18, but you can only buy coins in increments of $10, so you'd really have to spend $20. That kind of stuff just turns me off. I don't know why devs/publishers aren't more generous with skins and what not. The added volume of sales would probably make up for selling each item for less, right?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
They should probably have gone with a more humble launch instead of betting big with influencers, especially if they are going to slower update pace route.

I don't know if the launch would have gone as it did without paid influencers out there playing and saying how good it was before the "EA free-to-play loot box game that killed Titanfall" solidified as its identity in the hive mind.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If Respawn just made everything in the store cost $10 I'd probably buy a lot of stuff. Instead I have bought exactly nothing. They have everything priced at $18, but you can only buy coins in increments of $10, so you'd really have to spend $20. That kind of stuff just turns me off. I don't know why devs/publishers aren't more generous with skins and what not. The added volume of sales would probably make up for selling each item for less, right?
I believe a lot of that is done so you always have left over space-buxs, to encourage you to spend more later. It's very shitty. Especially when pair with awful pricing like Apex has.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious if it really is more profitable to keep the price of skins as high as they do. I've put over a 200 hours into the game and there's 0 chance I'd pay for a skin at the prices they charge, but if they were like $3-4 I'd for sure consider it, and I'm sure many others would too. Maybe whales buying everything that appears in the store outweighs what normal people would buy at lower prices, but the choice to chase whales like that is also really shitty I feel.

SEBattleship

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Has anyone taken the time to actually read the article?

It's clear that it's written by someone that hasn't played the game in bit, and is just regurgitating the narrative of "Apex has not released enough new content, therefore IT IS DOOMED" for clicks. The source for the financial details is suspect too. Games typically make less money the longer they've been out. How is this news?

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe a lot of that is done so you always have left over space-buxs, to encourage you to spend more later. It's very shitty. Especially when pair with awful pricing like Apex has.
I know why they do it, I just wonder if they would be more successful with a more honest business model. No one likes feeling ripped off, so I tend to believe that more people would buy skins if they were fairly priced/didn't force you to buy more coins than you need.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
What about "games do badly" sounds like it wouldn't lead to layoffs down the line?

I am not saying it doesn't, but that doesn't mean that it is necessarily right in my opinion.

Right now through a quick look on wikipedia, it says respawn is about 200 devs. If you assume $100,000 per dev, that comes out to about 20 million for a year of salary for all employees. Obviously there are more costs associated with running a studio, but that is not a bad starting point. I cannot find the revenue for march, but just adding up the revenue from the launch month and april gives you 116 million (gross revenue, but still quite a bit). I think that should be enough to keep the studio afloat and continue support of the game the level it currently is at, without relying on a bunch of crunch, if you aren't too driven by making the most profit imaginable. Not every game needs to be the biggest thing.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I know why they do it, I just wonder if they would be more successful with a more honest business model. No one likes feeling ripped off, so I tend to believe that more people would buy skins if they were fairly priced/didn't force you to buy more coins than you need.
I know I would have, but then they sold a Banner for ÂŁ16 (I think, was around Valentine's Day) and I decided I'm never buying a single thing from the item shop, than bought Titanfall 2 for ÂŁ4, which I think perfectly sums up the current state of microtransactions..

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Id buy stuff they actually have interesting skins to buy. add some interesting skins like fortnite and I'd buy some apex then

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
This doesn't surprise me. Anecdotally my kid gave up on Apex and went back to Fortnite. I swear the kids care more about the skins, stupid dances, and memes more than the game-play.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If Respawn employees get to go home at a reasonable hour, sleep well and continue making fantastic games, keep the post-launch DLC.

Dec 23, 2017
Haven't played it but I guess you hate to see developers have issues. I think there were things they could have done to have better success.... long term success. That's on them.

Jun 26, 2018
What kind of post-launch "support" are people expecting? Everyone's asking for it, but I've got no idea what you actually want.

What does fortnite even do for post-launch support? Skins? Off-shoot modes?

Oct 25, 2017
I still wish there was a solo mode. The classes don't need that many changes for balancing - even Lifeline can be useful as she can self-heal and can use healing items faster.

I haven't played for a month so I would just be a hindrance to the two randoms I get teamed up with.

crotchett

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
I stopped playing this game within two weeks of launch.
Dropped the game after my third win within the first week or so, realizing it's going to be the usual uphill battle dealing with the nature of BR games: usual bad random team-mates (ones that kill-steal, no less), server issues, and then the obvious lack of depth within the shooting mechanics.
Can't help but agree when guys like Dr. Disrespect complain about nearly every rifle and smg being a laser, the map getting old fast, and no difference in gunfight tactics within the early, mid, and late-game all resounding with most players, I think.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Dropped the game after my third win within the first week or so, realizing it's going to be the usual uphill battle dealing with the nature of BR games: usual bad random team-mates (ones that kill-steal, no less), server issues, and then the obvious lack of depth within the shooting mechanics.
Can't help but agree when guys like Dr. Disrespect complain about nearly every rifle and smg being a laser, the map getting old fast, and no difference in gunfight tactics within the early, mid, and late-game all resounding with most players, I think.
Kill steal? It's a team game... I'm confused...

It's so strange. I want games to be updated like Fortnite is because it's really amazing and always keeps you diving back in... but the cost just seems impossibly insane. Bah. I'm happy the Apex devs have a better work/life balance than Fornite's devs... but I also have no interest in playing their game anymore, and hopefully it doesn't cause the team to just be laid off.

Sigh.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone taken the time to actually read the article?

It's clear that it's written by someone that hasn't played the game in bit, and is just regurgitating the narrative of "Apex has not released enough new content, therefore IT IS DOOMED" for clicks. The source for the financial details is suspect too. Games typically make less money the longer they've been out. How is this news?
Yup. In all honesty, most of this type of criticism of Apex is suspect. The game is wildly successful. It likely made enough money in the first month to fund a whole year.

What's happening is that Respawn is crafting this game in the most healthy way toward the product, towards consumers, and towards their employees...but people don't care because we need to say something negative about what EA is doing and that gets attention! This game has found a perfect spot between Fornite and PUBG, which means it won't be a successful as those games. That isn't a bad thing.

Why do people here, especially as anti-capitalist and anti-corporation and anti-rich people as people are here...why do they care about revenue for a game that already has tons of money? What does that have to do with gameplay or how employees are treated? Like, people are really concerned about revenue models for season passes...LOL

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I understand working the employees is shit but nothing being added for 3 months does work in the battle royale space. People lose attention quickly and move on. I hope season 2 works out much better.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Kill steal? It's a team game... I'm confused...

It's so strange. I want games to be updated like Fortnite is because it's really amazing and always keeps you diving back in... but the cost just seems impossibly insane. Bah. I'm happy the Apex devs have a better work/life balance than Fornite's devs... but I also have no interest in playing their game anymore, and hopefully it doesn't cause the team to just be laid off.

Sigh.

You're right but I think there are simple things they could do to engage people instead of relying on "we are doing as much as we can so it is what it is". They should change the way the give things to people with their existing content so everyone will have something to look out for than just an almost pointless win.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I was super into the game, but after dumping a ton of hours into it, you come to the realization that the experience is ultimately pretty shallow compared to say, PUBG (I don't play fortnite so idk what keeps people around, I'd imagine the incredible frequency of updates helps). It's a great game still, but the tactics are pretty 1-dimensional. The game pretty much revolves around waiting for a fight to start and coming in as a third party. The gameplay loop strongly encourages this playstyle and I'm not really sure how they could mitigate it. The long healing times combined with the long TTK makes the strat incredibly viable, and they can't tweak either of those without drastically changing the game. The game grew stale because of 1 clearly superior tactic. It's boring to use that tactic, and it's frustrating to have that tactic used on you, and it's all the game is these days.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
My friends were extremely into it that first month and then completely dropped off.
This was my experience as well.

First few weeks, it basically consumed my friend's groups online rotation; by the time the first battlepass came out however we were more or less through with it.

The game hasn't added enough content in the past few months to really demand frequent play, couple that with an atrocious season 1 battlepass and it's more or less dropped out of the rotation. If season 2 is good and if we get more frequent legends and weapons added into the game then who knows we might all migrate back, but as of now it's not even in the running for "what're we going to play tonight bois?"

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I only need a solo mode, still playing the game 4/5h a week and that's perfect for me!

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
You can really tell who here just wants to soapbox about overworked developers and who has actually played the game.

There's a happy medium between slamming out weekly content and...actually releasing content. Respawn hasn't found it. That's not even touching on bug fixing and poor communication.

I'm going to guess Respawn is putting all of their effort into creating a second season that can sustain the player base's attention for its length, but the game has really suffered in the interim.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, first month was launch & second month was season pass. How is revenue not going to drop?

Exponential growth isn't sustainable, and pretending it can be is a huge problem.

There's a difference between growth and retention.

No one expects exponential growth like Fortnite or PUBG received long term, but there is absolutely an expectation of player retention, something Respawn has failed to achieve with Apex, which is why revenue drops drastically. They need to release a major content update that will bring players back and figure out a roadmap that will entice players to continue playing.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Cool whatever, the developers aren't being worked like dogs
Even if they aren't their output is incredibly slow. It feels like they have barely anyone working on it. Additionally their communication has been total shit. Even after they came out and said we are going to communicate more, they went silent for over a week.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
This may have been the first time I've ever bought something from a F2P game. The battle pass isn't great but I don't regret my purchase because the game is enjoyable and seemingly isn't built on human misery

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Okay Respawn, you tried your hand at F2P GaaS and it worked for a little while but it looks like you aren't holding up.

Move on to Titanfall 3 please.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent a decent amount of money on the game already, but most of my credits are still left unspent as I wait for meaningful content to pay for. 20 bucks recoloured skins are a no-no for me, so I'll wait for now.