• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still no solos I would love to play Apex again someday just not with random teammates.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Seems neat. Don't love any of the new skins, but the Evo Sheild has a ton of potiential to shake up the dynamic.

A fixed loot map is also interesting, but I doubt I'm ever going to invest the time in any given week to really learn either one

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just give us the permanent solos mode. I don't understand why they haven't yet. It doesn't even need to be ranked.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is this going to be another event where you have to buy $180 worth of random cosmetic packs to unlock an heirloom?

I'm fairly cynical when it comes to these Apex events.

Evo shields seem cool.

Oct 31, 2017
Just give us the permanent solos mode. I don't understand why they haven't yet. It doesn't even need to be ranked.

Probably because solos is honestly not that fun and is only played, I'd have to guess, by a tiny number of the player base in reality. That and the game's core identity and game design is fundamentally built around 3 man squads; it is how the game best plays and they don't want to dilute the game's core identity by offering a permanent solo mode.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
No solos and still 24 tick servers and no audio fixes?

I'd bring up muzzle flash too but I read their gonna tone it down, which honestly doesn't mean anything.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because solos is honestly not that fun and is only played, I'd have to guess, by a tiny number of the player base in reality. That and the game's core identity and game design is fundamentally built around 3 man squads; it is how the game best plays and they don't want to dilute the game's core identity by offering a permanent solo mode.

Solos is fun. You don't have to worry about being a burden, or being burdened by randoms. Your friends aren't always gonna be online. I've honestly never felt that whole squad meta feel I get from Siege/OW in Apex. I think they just randomly chose a 3 man squad because...why not I guess? The only thing I can think of that would be an issue are characters like Lifeline's shield rez being useless, and taking away an influential mechanic like reviving from death. I'm assume Respawn is savvy enough to figure out a workaround to make solos a thing.

They could make solos all Pathfinders with golden knockdowns and I'd still have more fun than the experiences I've had playing with strangers.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Another timed event
Heirloom Sets...ect

they're pushing the gambling hard with these timed events. Which are now happening more often. Lots of kids playing this. Not a fan of all this greed.

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised Apex doesn't have an in-game LFG system yet. I get Respawn built the game around squad play, so they don't want to do a solo mode.

But then why is the responsibility of finding a good squad shoved onto players to use third party sites? It should be the devs responsibility to offer the tools in game to find one.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They are considering using Evo shields for every match type.

I actually like it if it was a new change in general lol. They'd have to reduce the amount of cells and batteries on the map but the idea of having to fight to earn your health back sounds fun and what I need when people camp too much.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

solos are a blast and play fine this is a not a good argument. I use to play for hours daily but having terrible random teammates every lobby killed every bit of fun I had in this game.

the core identity has nothing to do with solos it plays perfectly fine. I went from playing 5-6 hours a day for 2.5 seasons to not playing at all due to how frustrating randoms are.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Solos is fun. You don't have to worry about being a burden, or being burdened by randoms. Your friends aren't always gonna be online. I've honestly never felt that whole squad meta feel I get from Siege/OW in Apex. I think they just randomly chose a 3 man squad because...why not I guess? The only thing I can think of that would be an issue are characters like Lifeline's shield rez being useless, and taking away an influential mechanic like reviving from death. I'm assume Respawn is savvy enough to figure out a workaround to make solos a thing.

They could make solos all Pathfinders with golden knockdowns and I'd still have more fun than the experiences I've had playing with strangers.
The simple solution is to disable abilities and make only certain characters available in solos. Like you said, i'm sure Respawn could figure it out, they just don't have any interest in doing-so.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The simple solution is to disable abilities and make only certain characters available in solos. Like you said, i'm sure Respawn could figure it out, they just don't have any interest in doing-so.

Or better yet if people are pressed about their mains being useless, they could just bring out those training dummies from a few weeks ago and make their abilities specifically for solos. I think that'd be cool. 60 dummies of a variety of colors. Same healing speed. No low profile nerfs.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not a designer on this video game so it's not like I can "prove it" lol. I just think that 3 is the best team number, and the characters are supposed to synergize best as a three person team, even if there's somewhat of a specific meta team comp at the highest levels of play. I thought 3 man squads worked best in the original Destiny, and works best in Rocket League too.

For Apex, I think 4 would be too chaotic in general for both inter-squad coordination as well as interpreting other team action/third partying. Personally, I haven't really cared that much for either duos or solos, but it's not like I played (or wanted to play) a ton of them when these modes have been choices to play.

I didn't really care for it that much whenever I played. I'd always tend to make it to the end and then get jumped by something really dumb and lose because of someone hiding in a ridiculous spot.

I did think that a all Pathfinders mode could work too. Or better yet, make it something like a TF Pilots mode where everyone has jumpkits that work in some fashion + having a grapple, and having a hitbox frame something most like Banglaore or Mirage
solos are a blast and play fine this is a not a good argument. I use to play for hours daily but having terrible random teammates every lobby killed every bit of fun I had in this game.

the core identity has nothing to do with solos it plays perfectly fine. I went from playing 5-6 hours a day for 2.5 seasons to not playing at all due to how frustrating randoms are.
I tend to play all three in 3 man (solo queuing, playing with a friend (most commonly), or playing as a full pre-made) and I've had a pretty good time as all. And I've just not had as much fun playing either solos or duos. I think this game and its characters/abilities is definitely a game about playing with two other people on your team. I think if they want to do a solo style of mode, they should do something different than just the characters solo personally. But then if they did that, that would dilute the identity of the game some, despite what people might think.

Personally, I think that's been one of Halo's big problems for a little while, but it's kind of a bind that they are in. Where Halo has an almost specific identity where it works best (doubles, 4v4, and a tight 8v8 Big Team), yet they also have to cater to a whole bunch of other people's tastes/desires too, since Halo can mean so many things to so many people. And this I think actually kind of hurts Halo a bit. I think games like these should try to stick as close to what makes their core design work as much as possible, while also giving occasional optional ways to play like they've been doing actually.

Oct 25, 2017

This is the equivalent of telling Fortnite to make a mode without building. You're basically asking them to remove the thing that makes Apex unique in the BR space.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I bet yall dont even really play solos when it pops up throughout the year. If you dont have friends, make some. It's far too many ways to squad up with other people in modern gaming for this to always come up in EVERY Apex thread.

Anyway, the EVO shield looks like a good idea and a cool way to change up the game. I hope it stays.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bet yall dont even really play solos when it pops up throughout the year. If you dont have friends, make some. It's far too many ways to squad up with other people in modern gaming for this to always come up in EVERY Apex thread.

Anyway, the EVO shield looks like a good idea and a cool way to change up the game. I hope it stays.

How could you even make that bet if you never met us or played with us? Lol.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a neat event. I like the concept of evo shields, hope they don't end up being OP in late game.

Gotta say I'm not a fan of how they do heirlooms though. Spending over a hundred dollars to get one is still overkill.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Which is exactly why we want solo queues, so we don't need to deal with you getting punched out looking for a gun. Lol.

For real. The issue isn't we can't find a squad, it's that we don't WANT to squad up. Lol. They've done the special event before, they even teased that they are capable of implementing new abilities (crash test dummies) so making a dedicated solos playlist shouldn't really be that difficult to implement. Lol.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I think before they can add Solo as a permanent mode they need to add cross play between PS4 and Xbox for player population to be enough across playlist. I like these events like system override, Halloween, and mirage voyage so I see the devs are trying. That said there is room for a lot of improvement and I feel it needs to be done quickly.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Me and my daughter have been playin the hell out of Apex lately. She's hyped for this heirloom as it's going to be one of the first she has a chance to get. The Heirloom shards giving a chance to purchase the previous released heirlooms is a real good call. That'll hook my girl hard for the event. She wants that Knife/Sticks soooooo baaaaaad...

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Still no solos I would love to play Apex again someday just not with random teammates.

Annoying fans will try to gatekeep what Apex should be and tell u it doesnt need solos

Ignoring that modes like solos makes up a significant playerbase in other games

Apex is very limited as a BR game compared to everything else on the market. Im pretty sure f2p cod will really steal a big playerbase

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that they're changing up how the heirlooms work, but 500 lootboxes is still an insane number. I feel like these $20 character-specific bundles they've been doing should maybe just be $30-$40 and include the heirloom sets.