• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Today marks the 5th anniversary of the PS4 in Europe, and PlayStation Europe has published a new video to commemorate the event with some silly stats.

One of those stats is particularly interesting though : 630 000 users got the Platinum Trophy in Bloodborne. And as anyone can see by checking the trophy list on their PS4, 5,6% of Bloodborne users got that Platinum Trophy.

While my brain is unable to do any form of maths, fellow Era users have deduced from those two stats that about 11,3 million of people have played Bloodborne to date.

Obviously 11,3 million is not the number of copies sold or even shipped, since a single game can be used for several users (second hand market, game sharing...). It's also important to note that Bloodborne was included in PlayStation Plus+ in March 2018 and is also in the PlayStation Now library (in which you can earn trophies). On the other hand, I guess there can be some users who don't connect their PS4 to the net and would not be counted.

It's nevertheless a pretty interesting number to know. For the record, we do know thanks for a well known insider around here that Bloodborne has sold more than 2 million of copies in the US.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
For how much I wish that to be true, calculating player base from platinum rates is unreliable

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This data is not reliable. Going by it there are about 60 million Uncharted 4 players and 7 million GoW players (which contradicts the last platinum number for GoW, which indicated 9 million players)

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, judging by the PS+ subscribers number, it makes sense.

But I think it should be way more than that, which probably means that lots of people claimed it but haven't even started it yet. Shame.

Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine people opening up bloodborne on a PS Now free trial or after getting it on PS Plus and then never touching it again, sure.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
This game was free on ps+ so I think it should be even higher than that. It's the best game of this generation by far, I really hope more ps+ members have experienced this game.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
It's not that hard to imagine this being true considering the game was a PS Plus title

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I've seen speed runners platinum this game multiple times (creating new accounts each time).

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
If there are 80 million PS4 sold, there should be 80 million people playing Bloodborne. Best game in the console.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Bloodborne will probably remain my Game of the Generation, depending on whether or not Bloodborne 2 is this gen.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
dont mix them up.this is only number of people who played this title for bloodborne. sold will not be even half of that .
Yes I know and for the same reason the number of units shipped of the Dark Souls Trilogy isn't the number of players (I think many people have bought the three games). But we don't have any number of players for Dark Souls (I think ?) so it's still interesting to know the number of sales of this serie.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yup think I have to agree with this sadly.
its a Known fact . you cant get sold number from number of people who played the game . Its the same issue when MS announces number of players instead of sold.These two are two different things and we cant get any conclusion from # people who play the game in regards to sold copies of that title

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
For the record, we do know thanks for a well known insider around here that Bloodborne has sold more than 2 million of copies in the US.
lol at's a funny way to describe an admin (ZhugeEX). He isn't an insider by the way, he's an analyst with access to NPD data (amongst sales data from other regions).

Anyway, if true that's pretty cool though it's impossible to try and figure out how well it's sold based on that, thanks to PS+, PS Now and second hand sales.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I thought those Thropy numbers were reliable.

The % figure is likely accurate on its own, but it isn't a reliable way to gauge the sales numbers because of things like shared game copies / preowned game sales / re-runs on other accounts / PS Plus.

If you bought the game, traded it in, someone else buys it and plays, lets their friend borrow it... that's 3 instances of trophy tracking for the same single copy of the game sold.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
ZhugeEX Wasn't Bloodborne 2M+ in the US or am I misremembering (before plus)?

The % figure is likely accurate on its own, but it isn't a reliable way to gauge the sales numbers because of things like shared game copies / preowned game sales / re-runs on other accounts / PS Plus.

If you bought the game, traded it in, someone else buys it and plays, lets their friend borrow it... that's 3 instances of trophy tracking for the same single copy of the game sold.

Well, this is not about sold copies, but players. So the thread title still seems to be accurate.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

baensyqrmy701.gif

So Bloodborne cornered 80% of the Souls market with just one game?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
why? since the game was free on ps+, i imagine A LOT of people claimed the game and downloaded and played a bit (or a lot). that helps with this statistic but isn't any indication of how many copies of the game they sold for money.

I personally find it hard to believe that many people actually boot up PS+/GWG games.
That's my personal angle on this.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
not particularly impressive for a game that was given away for free.

i can imagine there was a lot of this, inflating the number.
It was a part of the PS+ games not given away for free there is a difference, and how are those numbers not impressive. It's still a Souls game with limited appeal.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that's a mistake, but unfortunately the original file can't be accessed anymore.

Maybe they're just physical copies or something like that? There's no way the series only sold 13 million, the PC versions alone would be more than half of the total sales. I'm pretty sure both Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 3 crossed 3 million players on PC. That includes family share and things like that, but then you have both Dark Souls II titles with more than a million each to make up for it.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
plus give-aways are gonna warp any such statistics. Rocket League devs were adamant at the time that the game free on psplus wasn't getting them enough money, well now they are just filthy rich so just getting the game into many people's hands helped out in the end i think.

Oct 25, 2017
What is the percentage of players who beat Father Gascoigne, then we can see how many played a substantial amount of the game. I'm pretty sure it's still very high.