• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
ITT

a) "wow look at all this viscious outrage, this is EXACTLY why products like this exist."

*literally no one being outraged*

b) "lol what a stupid product"

a) "You don't know anything about marketing! Don't tease men!"

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is refusing to buy something because it's advertised in a way that takes advantage of fragile masculinity an example of fragile masculinity?

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No one would care if all products were gender neutral, you see? Now you get dirty looks if you buy feminine toothpaste instead of masculine toothpaste or whatever the fuck. The exploitation of gender insecurity is what creates gender insecurity.

Asking for products to ignore a data-proven, demographic-specific preference in its marketing is counter-intuitive. I can see an argument in favour of less agressive specific marketing in some way, but to completely ignore it is to just make it harder for most to find what they want.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Asking for products to ignore a data-proven, demographic-specific preference in its marketing is counter-intuitive. I can see an argument in favour of less agressive specific marketing in some way, but to completely ignore it is to just make it harder for most to find what they want.
I'm not asking them to ignore it at all. It's their function to move units off the shelves, not to correct societal gender norms.

That said I do appreciate initiatives to "degenderify" branding like with modern retail toys sections, and I, of course, don't like to see the opposite happen, such as the genderification of toothpaste or fresheners.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not asking them to ignore it at all. It's their function to move units off the shelves, not to correct societal gender norms.

That said I do appreciate initiatives to "degenderify" branding like with modern retail toys sections, and I, of course, don't like to see the opposite happen, such as the genderification of toothpaste or fresheners.

I completely agree when it comes to toys. But pakaged scented products are trickier as the selling point is not immediately accessible to consumers and asking for a full aisle smell test on dozens of pocket change products aint gonna happen.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT

a) "wow look at all this viscious outrage, this is EXACTLY why products like this exist."

*literally no one being outraged*

b) "lol what a stupid product"

a) "You don't know anything about marketing! Don't tease men!"

Nah.

ITT:

The only people who buy gender marketed products are insecure and are stunted emotionally.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else getting way too many fucking Manscaped (or whatever the fuck they are called) add on youtube and whatnot?

All of this stuff is obnoxious.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
2yAqYEF.jpg

VtFgqhy.jpg

iJClo94.jpg

sex coffee

Oct 25, 2017
[men] BE A MAN
We must be swift as a tailored scent
[men] BE A MAN
With all the force of a sexy design
[men] BE A MAN
With all the strength of hard wood
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
all the "men" bullshit aside, i think that air freshener actually looks pretty nice. i use this thing from bath and body works
022585788.jpg

theres a bunch of blinged out ones too but this is the one i chose. so i guess that makes me insecure about my masculinity?

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
all the "men" bullshit aside, i think that air freshener actually looks pretty nice. i use this thing from bath and body works
022585788.jpg

theres a bunch of blinged out ones too but this is the one i chose. so i guess that makes me insecure about my masculinity?
Did you buy it because you thought car freshener was for girls and softbois until you saw one made for MEN or did you buy it because you liked it?

I've got some axe bodywash at home, It was a gift and I use it when I run out of my Nivea FOR MEN (I'm serious) bodywash, so I too have some men-branded stuff I've bought before. The difference is me and (I'm pretty sure)you aren't the type to refuse to use baby wipes unless it's the exact same unscented wipe but in a BLACK BOX FOR MEN ONLY

My Shampoo however is gender neutral and has a net Man Point value of 0