• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GalacticToast

Oct 25, 2017
I find your language disrespectful. Peace
Smoke_Ball_escape_III.png

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I choose to clean my car instead of covering any stink with air fresheners. Is that manly? Unmanly?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Ok... if they marketed this better I could see a market for something that doesn't hang from your mirror, looks a little nicer, and doesn't smell like the restrooms from gas stations (like the scents they use to mask it). They don't need all that "manly smell" stuff, it's a good idea without it. But makes it a joke when they add in that whole manly crap.
That's what I thought, too. The old dangly car air fresheners aren't really a gendered thing.

Plus it looks like you could make the same thing by sticking one of these to your visor with a rubber band.

81DP%2Bt08iEL._SX679_.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Pfft, real men buy tacticool products.

Baby carriers? They're for women, what a proper red blooded man needs is a tacticool baby carrier.

Tactical-Baby-Carrier-TheManSpot.jpg

We know you've heard the Call of Daddy. Tactical Baby Gear® has answered it for you with this front carry Molle compatible Tactical Baby Carrier®. Why use a baby carrier designed with anything less than military-like efficiency and ruggedness at its core? Don't. Dad Life is tough; make sure your baby carrier is equally as tough

(edit)

And now you can complete your load-out with the tactical changing bag, nobody will question your masculinity when you carry such a manly diaper bag

1-Deuce_Mat-Black-Camo_768x.progressive.jpg

Last edited:

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
We didn't use an air freshener in the car or elsewhere. If you don't have people smoking in or near the house or car you don't need one, just air the rooms.

Marketing is weird.

My wife once referred to this sketch in a chat with friends, and ended up in an argument over whether you should brush your tongue.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Your annual reminder that gender-based marketing is one of the most effective types of marketing. There's nothing troubling, toxic, gross, problematic, or anything else about it. It's just gender marketing, it's been around for centuries and will continue to be around for millennia to come. Everyone is susceptible to some form of marketing, most people are susceptible to gender-based marketing.

With that said, scents are something that are easily marketable to different genders. I don't like any car fresheners, I think they're all pretty gross, ya'll don't like my scent get outta my car. I've used those ... charcoal bags in the past, but more because they're just easy as opposed to if they actually do anything.

Pfft, real men buy tacticool products.

Baby carriers? They're for women, what a proper red blooded man needs is a tacticool baby carrier.

Tactical-Baby-Carrier-TheManSpot.jpg

We know you've heard the Call of Daddy. Tactical Baby Gear® has answered it for you with this front carry Molle compatible Tactical Baby Carrier®. Why use a baby carrier designed with anything less than military-like efficiency and ruggedness at its core? Don't. Dad Life is tough; make sure your baby carrier is equally as tough

I wouldn't buy this stupid baby carrier because I'm not into military shit and I'd look like a goddam idiot with that, but FWIW, most baby products are marketed to women and it's frustrating. I have a very high tolerance for not being embarrassed about anything I do, but I think it's kind of bull shit because it strongly reinforces the stereotype that "Women should be doing the baby-raising, while men should be out doing the man stuff," and I generally dislike that. There were lots of $20-$40 baby carriers, but most were marketed and designed for women, and you had to go up to $70-$100 for gender neutral carriers, which is what I got... the Baby Bjorn.

Gender marketing for baby stuff definitely works on me. If you exclusively show me photos of women holding babies in all of the marketing stuff, I'm less apt to click into that product than if you show a man holding the baby. Sure, push come to shove I'll buy the products exclusively marketed to women taking care of babies and I won't think twice about it. But when a company takes 2 extra seconds and adds marketing materials showing a man caring for his child, then that is something that instantly resonates with me and I'm more likely to look at the product and influence my buying decision.

I Get why they do it, women usually influence the buying decisions for baby products, and it's definitely better than it was 10+ years ago, but it's frustrating and reinforces negative sexist stereotypes. I Think the camo carrier is probably the full on opposite of this, but it's the reflection of baby/woman marketing for a century, over-compensating.

Last edited:

Indeed™

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2019
I'm just gonna toss guys who buy these into the same group as women who buy womens razors that are twice the price as mens for the same thing. Suckers for marketing.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I actually like the look of the product itself more, but that marketing and the feedback from customers reads like a parody.

Yeah, marketing aside the product makes sense. In the air but nothing tacky dangling from your rearview or stuck in your vents.

Dude Wipes is 100% stupidity and they're probably (hopefully?) not serious.

Edit: Didn't realize it was a subscription service. Everyone's jumping on the sub train these days. Good luck getting people to sub to car air fresheners.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Dude wipes is 100% stupidity and they're probably (hopefully?) not serious.
It is, and it was on Shark tank. It was a good deal apparently for Mark Cuban. It's basically a wet-wipe not scented for frat boys. It's crude marketing and it's not worth the price, but I don't think we should belittle the men that buy it?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, marketing aside the product makes sense. In the air but nothing tacky dangling from your rearview or stuck in your vents.

Dude wipes are very real. And it's weird, because I always carry wet wipes and almost all of them are completely gender neutral in design

I guess gender neutral is too much for some.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you can't find what's wrong by saying men that buy a product marketed for them emotionally stunned, then I don't want to waste my time talking to you.
Any man who defines themselves by how much of a man they are IS emotionally stunted, thats the whole point being made.

Being concerned with how masculine or feminine you are, to the extent that you will only buy disposable products that are specifically catered to men, shows an immaturity that actively helps to enforce gender stereotypes and in turn sexist opinions. Men and woman are the same, its society telling us that they should each act a certain way or like certain things depending on their gender that causes any differences we see.

Also to consider, the way men have been trained to be is harmful to everyone. "Be a man, be strong, dont show emotion, only like rugged man things and no girly pink stuff"etc has caused so much anger and hatred over the centuries.

The way to change this is in part by stopping frivolous products like this from being marketed as they are. Every little way we can stop this idea that men are a certain way and woman are another is a good thing for society as a whole.

Oct 27, 2017
"I'm amazed at how stupidly easy it is to market to gullible people.", I typed on my iPhone while listening to Spotify Music through my AirPods.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It is, and it was on Shark tank. It was a good deal apparently for Mark Cuban. It's basically a wet-wipe not scented for frat boys. It's crude marketing, but I don't think we should belittle the men that buy it?

There are tonnes of shop owm brand and branded non scented wipes that are gender neutral in design.

I think it's actually adding to elements of toxic masculinity by saying "buy this if you are a man, because it has a package that reaffirms that for you".

OP
OP
Detective Loki
Nov 30, 2018

Edit: Didn't realize it was a subscription service. Everyone's jumping on the sub train these days. Good luck getting people to sub to car air fresheners.

Lol they're real

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
It is, and it was on Shark tank. It was a good deal apparently for Mark Cuban. It's basically a wet-wipe not scented for frat boys. It's crude marketing and it's not worth the price, but I don't think we should belittle the men that buy it?

Anyone that carries around "Dude Wipes" unironically can surely handle a little ribbing. More power to them.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
The way to change this is in part by stopping frivolous products like this from being marketed as they are. Every little way we can stop this idea that men are a certain way and woman are another is a good thing for society as a whole.
Who enforces this? It's a free market and if it sells then it's all you need for these profit driven companies.

Look, it's a stupid wipe, just like a stupid razor, black or pink, I think paying a mark-up for the same product with a different color is unnecessary. I am still not going to insult the people that buy it though.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this is a bad product, it certainly looks nicer than regular air fresheners do and it's a bit more hidden. I'd buy one to try it out.

"Gentscents" is a stupid angle to market it though.

Nov 9, 2017
I just got done using a container of unscented huggies baby wipes that my gf got for free. Who cares as long as the product works?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Who enforces this? It's a free market and if it sells then it's all you need for these profit driven companies.

Look, it's a stupid wipe, just like a stupid razor, black or pink, I think paying a mark-up for the same product with a different color is unnecessary. I am still not going to insult the people that buy it though.
Government should.

Society as a whole would be better if products weren't advertised specifically as a gendered product, unless its something specific like sanitary products but even that can be done without having to enforce its only for one gender. People are still free to market their products but they cant try to enforce gender stereotypes in doing so.

As for making fun of men who will only buy man products, nothing wrong with that. I mean, using their logic im sure they can just 'man up' and ignore it ;)

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
At the end of the day this is how niche marketing works, if a product doesn't exist but enough people may be interested in buying it, somebody is going to try it.

I think any man who won't use regular air fresheners and insists on something like this is a loser but I also highly doubt such a person exists, and you certainly can't blame the company for taking a punt on this.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Government should.

Society as a whole would be better if products weren't advertised specifically as a gendered product, unless its something specific like sanitary products but even that can be done without having to enforce its only for one gender. People are still free to market their products but they cant try to enforce gender stereotypes in doing so.

The same government that is funded by these private companies? What you're saying will never happen.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
My joint smells like Strawberries and I love it. Anything that make my cars smells like fruit.

Also, I didn't know "not actually wood" was a negative.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this just like the male equivalent of the "pink tax"? I'll never understand how this kind of marketing works yet it invariably does or it wouldn't happen so much.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I make my own car fresheners, mainly because the ones for cars are too "manly" for me and I love me some lavender, licorice and anise essences while driving.

Being a product obviously they have to cater to a market and they thought this was the best approach to sell it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I dont see how this is much different from the different gender marketing for everything else. i.e. soaps, shampoo, shave gel, razors etc. Its all the same shit but you get "for men" or "for women" plastered all over it and a color palette swap.

On a broader note...clean your fucking car, thats why it smells like shit in the first place.
Yep. People are so weird about this stuff. Marketing by demographics is a thing.

Your annual reminder that gender-based marketing is one of the most effective types of marketing. There's nothing troubling, toxic, gross, problematic, or anything else about it. It's just gender marketing, it's been around for centuries and will continue to be around for millennia to come. Everyone is susceptible to some form of marketing, most people are susceptible to gender-based marketing.

With that said, scents are something that are easily marketable to different genders. I don't like any car fresheners, I think they're all pretty gross, ya'll don't like my scent get outta my car. I've used those ... charcoal bags in the past, but more because they're just easy as opposed to if they actually do anything.

I wouldn't buy this stupid baby carrier because I'm not into military shit and I'd look like a goddam idiot with that, but FWIW, most baby products are marketed to women and it's frustrating. I have a very high tolerance for not being embarrassed about anything I do, but I think it's kind of bull shit because it strongly reinforces the stereotype that "Women should be doing the baby-raising, while men should be out doing the man stuff," and I generally dislike that. There were lots of $20-$40 baby carriers, but most were marketed and designed for women, and you had to go up to $70-$100 for gender neutral carriers, which is what I got... the Baby Bjorn.

Gender marketing for baby stuff definitely works on me. If you exclusively show me photos of women holding babies in all of the marketing stuff, I'm less apt to click into that product than if you show a man holding the baby. Sure, push come to shove I'll buy the products exclusively marketed to women taking care of babies and I won't think twice about it. But when a company takes 2 extra seconds and adds marketing materials showing a man caring for his child, then that is something that instantly resonates with me and I'm more likely to look at the product and influence my buying decision.

I Get why they do it, women usually influence the buying decisions for baby products, and it's definitely better than it was 10+ years ago, but it's frustrating and reinforces negative sexist stereotypes. I Think the camo carrier is probably the full on opposite of this, but it's the reflection of baby/woman marketing for a century, over-compensating.

Thank you. The takes from people that know nothing about marketing and business are tired.