• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Those fucking trees. So I was driving to DC and was passing through Virginia. I get pulled over and the most hillbilly looking cops got out of the car to talk to me and my passenger (my mom). They had long ass beards going down to their chest and wore jeans! Top half looked like mountain cop and the bottom looked like he didn't give a fuck.

Anyway, they ask me where I'm from and where I'm going. I ask them why and why did they stop me (it was one of the few times I wasn't speeding) and they said it's because of the tree handing from my mirror. In the state of Virginia, it's illegal to have anything hanging from your rear-view mirror. WHAT?

I simply removed it and told them that was a bullshit law to pull over black people. Had to hear 5 minutes of their BS as to why it's a law and they let me go lol.

Ok... if they marketed this better I could see a market for something that doesn't hang from your mirror, looks a little nicer, and doesn't smell like the restrooms from gas stations (like the scents they use to mask it). They don't need all that "manly smell" stuff, it's a good idea without it. But makes it a joke when they add in that whole manly crap.
I actually like the design a lot better than those trees. But the marketing is silly. They do it because it works though.

Pfft, real men buy tacticool products.

Baby carriers? They're for women, what a proper red blooded man needs is a tacticool baby carrier.

Tactical-Baby-Carrier-TheManSpot.jpg

We know you've heard the Call of Daddy. Tactical Baby Gear® has answered it for you with this front carry Molle compatible Tactical Baby Carrier®. Why use a baby carrier designed with anything less than military-like efficiency and ruggedness at its core? Don't. Dad Life is tough; make sure your baby carrier is equally as tough

(edit)

And now you can complete your load-out with the tactical changing bag, nobody will question your masculinity when you carry such a manly diaper bag

1-Deuce_Mat-Black-Camo_768x.progressive.jpg
Ok lol... Call me a sucker but I'd buy that carrier. My only other alternative was my wife's carrier which had flowers and stuff on it. Not bad, but this looks ridiculous and I kinda want it.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
What if I told you almost everything has a "for men" or "for women" product.

Edit: And what if I told you men centric fresheners have been around for a long time before this?

Oct 29, 2017
Yep. People are so weird about this stuff. Marketing by demographics is a thing.

Its not that weird considering its here. There is a number of people on here who seem to enjoy reveling in shitting on anything considered "masculine". Although I do think this ad is pretty hilarious as they are working the "manly" angle to a degree that I cant tell if they are being tongue in cheek about it.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Its not that weird considering its here. There is a number of people on here who seem to enjoy reveling in shitting on anything considered "masculine". Although I do think this ad is pretty hilarious as they are working the "manly" angle to a degree that I cant tell if they are being tongue in cheek about it.

Its a funny thing it has to happen for them to sell stuff, but what it comes down to me is... I guess guys just like that smell and it is natural to them.

I'd say almost 100% of advertising is souless shit, so it is hard for me to entertain someone making a big deal out of MEN NEED THEIR OWN AIR FRESHNER?!!?!??!

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I got a dude wipe in my wallet at all times. It's the only one I've ever seen in life, and the only one I'll never use unless it's emergency, because I don't want to be seen using it.

Deleted member 54469

Mar 4, 2019
why are you guys doing their marketing for them?

this is exactly what that "outrage culture" post was about, and why even though as much as the alt-right has taken that term and manipulated it, it still exists.

seriously.. who fucking cares? marketers are going to market. did we really need yet another discussion about how stupid gender marketing is? the less people buy the products the more likely bullshit like this will stop, but making threads about them is literally doing their marketing job for them so what's up?

there are so many bigger issues that we could be working on tackling right now and yet people are still upset over dumb shit like this on facebook. i can't take this shit seriously at all. i see stupid "for men" and yes, "for women" shit every time i go to target.. i can't imagine taking it any more seriously than giving it maybe an eye roll and keeping it moving.

Government should.

Society as a whole would be better if products weren't advertised specifically as a gendered product, unless its something specific like sanitary products but even that can be done without having to enforce its only for one gender. People are still free to market their products but they cant try to enforce gender stereotypes in doing so.

As for making fun of men who will only buy man products, nothing wrong with that. I mean, using their logic im sure they can just 'man up' and ignore it ;)

this is fucking ridiculous. why does the government need to step in and make sure that all products are advertised as gender neutral?

so the government should just cancel marketing?

it's not even close to this deep.

Last edited:

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Is this like the reverse version of what women have to deal with when it comes to deodorant? How men's and women's deodorant are actually the same and women are just charged more for it.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
lol I subscribe to these. They smell excellent. How they are marketed had nothing do with why I got them though, I just love getting a new scent every month, and they really do last the whole month, longer usually. My brother had them in his car, his car smelt awesome, and I asked what he was using. I've always had a tough time finding a good air freshener for my car that lasted long enough that I didn't have to get a new one every 2 weeks. Stupid name though. There's nothing manly about them, they should just market to anyone who likes a nice system of keeping your car smelling fantastic.

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
In my experience, scents still needs the "for men" and "for women" labels, unfortunately. One example: I had a client that makes personal hygiene products that wanted to grow their consumer pool by targeting men. We didn't want the "for men" label because it's dumb and ugly, so we changed colors, scents and tone of the ads. It just didn't work, men just started buying when we put the "for men" on the labels.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I admit I use dude wipes since it's the only wet wipes I've seen that come individually wrapped for travel.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
You have to wonder at the possible health issues of all those perfumes and micro particles in the air we breathe.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I don't understand the product...or the comments in this thread for that matter.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand the difficulty this forum has with understanding gendered advertising.

Yeah, it relies on stereotypes and insecurities surrounding that gender, and?????

Gendered advertising is hardly a new thing, and applies to advertising for men and women. Buying products advertised this way certainly don't make anyone any less of a "man" or "woman", nor does it make them fragile in any way.

I almost never buy specifically gendered products, mainly because of cost, but it's not like I judge anyone that does either because that would be childish.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
After workouts I get in my car, all sweaty and oily, take my gym shorts off, roll onto my head and shoulders in the driver's seat, and spread my groinal area to fill the car with my natural man scent. Saves me $7.99 a week.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Your annual reminder that gender-based marketing is one of the most effective types of marketing. There's nothing troubling, toxic, gross, problematic, or anything else about it. It's just gender marketing, it's been around for centuries and will continue to be around for millennia to come. Everyone is susceptible to some form of marketing, most people are susceptible to gender-based marketing.
I'm sorry but this is complete and utter bollocks.

You seem to be confusing being an effective marketing tool with an ethical one. Just because gendered marketing works, doesn't mean it should be used or isn't harmful in the grand scheme of things.

Gender roles in our society have been molded from childhood, from toys aimed at boys being guns, robots, videogames etc to girls with dolls, cooking, being a mother etc. Why do you think the video games industry has such a toxic fan base of incel men? A big part of that is it being something that was marketed as something for boys and never featured women.

Also defending gender targeting by saying that things have been targeted to specific genders for centuries is really poor. People used to throw their waste out their house windows for years until proper plumbing was implemented. Society should change and adapt to try and improve things for everyone. That includes things that may seem small at first but can help shape the perception of generations without most realising it.

I work in marketing, not selling products but careers, and the main focus for us is diversity. Things that may seem small have big impacts, a simple re-wording of the same message can make a huge difference, making sure different people are represented cna massively change the perception people have of an industry.

Gendered advertising for something that isn't inherently gender specific might sell that product but long term its bad for business and society as a whole.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
After workouts I get in my car, all sweaty and oily, take my gym shorts off, roll onto my head and shoulders in the driver's seat, and spread my groinal area to fill the car with my natural man scent. Saves me $7.99 a week.
giphy.gif

You seem to be confusing being an effective marketing tool with an ethical one. Just because gendered marketing works, doesn't mean it should be used or isn't harmful in the grand scheme of things.

Gender roles in our society have been molded from childhood, from toys aimed at boys being guns, robots, videogames etc to girls with dolls, cooking, being a mother etc. Why do you think the video games industry has such a toxic fan base of incel men? A big part of that is it being something that was marketed as something for boys and never featured women.

Also defending gender targeting by saying that things have been targeted to specific genders for centuries is really poor. People used to throw their waste out their house windows for years until proper plumbing was implemented. Society should change and adapt to try and improve things for everyone. That includes things that may seem small at first but can help shape the perception of generations without most realising it.

I work in marketing, not selling products but careers, and the main focus for us is diversity. Things that may seem small have big impacts, a simple re-wording of the same message can make a huge difference, making sure different people are represented cna massively change the perception people have of an industry.

Gendered advertising for something that isn't inherently gender specific might sell that product but long term its bad for business and society as a whole.

It's just an freshener.......

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Plenty of products are marketed by gender. Not really sure what the big deal is. Personally I like vanilla sent. Goes well with the interior once the leather is clean and smelling nice.

My problem with car fresheners is finding something that smells good that lasts.

And this looks like a monthly membership? Hahahaha, now that will roast them for. Fuck outta here, lmao.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
In my experience, scents still needs the "for men" and "for women" labels, unfortunately. One example: I had a client that makes personal hygiene products that wanted to grow their consumer pool by targeting men. We didn't want the "for men" label because it's dumb and ugly, so we changed colors, scents and tone of the ads. It just didn't work, men just started buying when we put the "for men" on the labels.
I completely understand having to play into the existing marketplace, but isn't this issue caused by itself? The reason why men weren't buying the product that wasn't labeled "for men" is because every other product has "for men." So, the obvious assumption is: a) other products are labeled for men, b) your product isn't labeled for men, c) therefore your product must not be for men. It stems from a lack of education that anyone can use any product, and that men genuinely think women's products will affect them biologically.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more than willing to have a mod verify my identity of why I'm extremely business savvy and more credentialled than most, if someone wants to question my understanding of marketing. Gender marketing is a thing. Marketing towards fragile masculinity is another discussion. Most guys like having a matte black or dark blue toothbrush. Not every guy is insecure enough where it is an effective marketing strategy to say that your matte black toothbrush is sexy and rugged while putting down alternatives versions of the same item for being less masculine.

Gendered marketing can walk pass an ethical line if it pushes an idea of masculinity that is harmful, not just to others but also to the consumer. You can see clear examples if you watch men fashion YouTubers and their sponsors. Some products, not all, that are targeted to men will have the underlining message of "for what a man should be" not just "for men" and that is where you can find meaningful discussions on where gendered marketing becomes questionable.

Also there has been marketing pushes to promote healthy masculinity, such as equating masculinity and manhood to vulnerability, cooperation, and perseverance for a reason other than to pick up chicks.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
this is fucking ridiculous. why does the government need to step in and make sure that all products are advertised as gender neutral?

so the government should just cancel marketing?

it's not even close to this deep.
Who said to cancel marketing? The fact you are acting like trying to appeal to people purely based on their gender for something that isn't gender specific shows how little you actually know about marketing.

You can market your stuff as much as you want, but trying to enforcer gender stereotypes simply shouldn't be allowed. And yes, it is deeper then you think it is since this stuff plays a big role in how society is formed and enforces the idea that men are one way and women another.

It might seem innocent enough, Just being an airfreshner, but it's the idea that's dangerous - "this is how a man is, anything else isn't manly and being manly is important".

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I completely understand having to play into the existing marketplace, but isn't this issue caused by itself? The reason why men weren't buying the product that wasn't labeled "for men" is because every other product has "for men." So, the obvious assumption is: a) other products are labeled for men, b) your product isn't labeled for men, c) therefore your product must not be for men. It stems from a lack of education that anyone can use any product, and that men genuinely think women's products will affect them biologically.
Interesting. I was thinking ease of purchase. If it's clearly labeled "for men" then they don't need to look at anything else.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

From an ethical perspective, I agree, and the edit that I had on my post specifically goes into how I'm bothered by gender marketing on products I buy... Specifically, gender marketing for baby products which is almost exclusively marketed to women/mothers, and is exclusionary of men/fathers usually which I think reinforces negative stereotypes about the role of men and women in their children's lives. But, the premise of the thread seemed like it was, "Oh, look, and now they're marketing car fresheners to men," like the Dude wipe threads in the past, and my argument is sure... because it works. From a detached, theoretical ethical point of view, I agree, gender based marketing is not ethically right, but it works and it resonates just like many other forms of classification based marketing, whether it's along race, gender, age, sexual preference, etc... And this one is just another one, and probably one that is less offensive to me than others because it's a stupid air freshener.

I'm a sad example of how gender marketing on baby products works for me, and I'm sure there's millions of men like me. If a company takes 2 seconds to show a photo of a man holding a baby, for whatever reason, that fires some recognition symbol in my brain and I'm more likely to look into that product and I'm more likely to scroll past the thousands of other products that only show a woman with the baby product. Now, I don't take that much issue with it because data shows that women usually influence the buying decisions on baby products, but it's something that I'm more likely to explore a product that shows men doing baby stuff because as a man who does baby stuff, that resonates with me.

I think for something like an air freshener, it just doesn't bother me or evoke that negative reaction because the product is just so stupid and unimportant that it doesn't evoke the same frustrating reaction in me as something like parenting does.

Also, I do think there's something very different in marketing careers and marketing air fresheners. Diversity is incredibly important in career marketing and most countries have laws trying to prevent discrimination in hiring for good reason. I think gender based marketing selling a throw-away air freshener is not really on the same level of, say, hiring discrimination.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
Interesting. I was thinking ease of purchase. If it's clearly labeled "for men" then they don't need to look at anything else.
I definitely think that's part of it, for sure.

What sparked my post was that, and this is anecdotal, but I frequently browse several deals websites, and almost every time a "women's" product is posted, a number of men come out and ask if the product is safe for men to use. It got me thinking that there must be some decent sized set of men who legitimately think products that are marketed to/labeled for women is exclusively for women.

So I guess I imagine it must be a combination of the two?

Deleted member 54469

Mar 4, 2019
Who said to cancel marketing? The fact you are acting like trying to appeal to people purely based on their gender for something that isn't gender specific shows how little you actually know about marketing.

nah fam. the fact you are acting like trying to appeal to people purely based on their gender isn't real marketing shows how little YOU actually know about marketing.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
From an ethical perspective, I agree, and the edit that I had on my post specifically goes into how I'm bothered by gender marketing on products I buy... Specifically, gender marketing for baby products which is almost exclusively marketed to women/mothers, and is exclusionary of men/fathers usually which I think reinforces negative stereotypes about the role of men and women in their children's lives. But, the premise of the thread seemed like it was, "Oh, look, and now they're marketing car fresheners to men," like the Dude wipe threads in the past, and my argument is sure... because it works. From a detached, theoretical ethical point of view, I agree, gender based marketing is not ethically right, but it works and it resonates just like many other forms of classification based marketing, whether it's along race, gender, age, sexual preference, etc... And this one is just another one, and probably one that is less offensive to me than others because it's a stupid air freshener.

I think for something like an air freshener, it just doesn't bother me or evoke that negative reaction because the product is just so stupid and unimportant that it doesn't evoke the same frustrating reaction in me.

Also, I do think there's something very different in marketing careers and marketing air fresheners. Diversity is incredibly important in career marketing and most countries have laws trying to prevent discrimination in hiring for good reason. I think gender based marketing selling a throw-away air freshener is not really on the same level of, say, hiring discrimination.
I will just use what I said a few posts up since I think it tackles your last point well.

It might seem innocent enough, Just being an airfreshner, but it's the idea that's dangerous - "this is how a man is, anything else isn't manly and being manly is important".
nah fam. the fact you are acting like trying to appeal to people purely based on their gender isn't real marketing shows how little YOU actually know about marketing.
I never said it wasnt real marketing at all, did you actually read my post? I'm saying that there are other ways to market your product and doing it this way is bad for society and probably your long term business too.

Nov 9, 2017
Why wouldn't companies want to market to the enormous amount of people who willingly choose to have an appearance/routine that closely matches more traditional gender roles.

Deleted member 54469

Mar 4, 2019
I never said it wasnt real marketing at all, did you actually read my post? I'm saying that there are other ways to market your product and doing it this way is bad for society and probably your long term business too.

bad for society? come on now. i'm out lol. this thread is ridiculous.

this is the smallest issue in an absolute league of issues we have right now.