• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I will just use what I said a few posts up since I think it tackles your last point well.

It might seem innocent enough, Just being an airfreshner, but it's the idea that's dangerous - "this is how a man is, anything else isn't manly and being manly is important".

I agree, I think it's stupid and said as much. But my point in my last post was that discrimination hiring is many magnitudes more important than selling garbage junk to men.

Your field, career marketing, has been easily the worst offender at gender, race, age, and class-based marketing and it's contributed to the terrible work environment in so many industries (particularly mine, tech). I hope a lot of people in your field recognize how they've contributed to discrimination in hiring, and how most continue to contribute to it. These days it's less so around gender and race, and more so around age. Age discrimination in marketing and hiring has only recently come to the forefront (specifically when the NYT/ProPublica did that massive expose in ~2017) and, like marketers did from 40 or 50 years ago around gender and race, a lot are openly hostile to the criticism they've gotten around age discrimination and marketing. I'd assume you're not hostile to that criticism, but many of your colleagues are.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
bad for society? come on now. i'm out lol. this thread is ridiculous.

this is the smallest issue in an absolute league of issues we have right now.
Oh I see your edit, so we are playing priority Olympics now?

Have you ever heard of the idea that just because something else is worse it doesn't mean this isn't important?

What about small things have big impacts over time and can influence other more harmful things?

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think reinforcing gender stereotypes is good or bad?

To jump into the conversation, I would just like to say in general some people might just like the aesthetic and smell, and it may very well be "right for them", which wouldn't be a situation where gender stereotype reinforcement is needed to be talked about.

And really, from what I can see, the only thing gender specific here is the brand name. At least it wasn't "Got balls?"

Speaking of balls. Those stupid truck ball sacks that people put on are 1000 million times worse.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
bad for society? come on now. i'm out lol. this thread is ridiculous.

this is the smallest issue in an absolute league of issues we have right now.
Everything affects society. Gendered marketing is not on the level of human rights, for example, but it ultimately affects society negatively. It's not fair to dismiss a concern just because it's not on a higher league. Small issues don't just disappear because bigger ones exist.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I saw this snip somewhere and it was a young guy talking about his business which was making candles I think aimed at guys. He was making loads of money. He also put them in tins if I remember correctly and donated the content to soup kitchen.

So yeah there must be a market for this stuff.

Deleted member 54469

User requested account closure
Mar 4, 2019
Oh I see your edit, so we are playing priority Olympics now?

Have you ever heard of the idea that just because something else is worse it doesn't mean this isn't important?

What about small things have big impacts over time and can influence other more harmful things?

um yes that is exactly what we are doing.

families have been getting locked in cages at the border, black people get gunned down by police regularly, corruption in the U.S. is at an all time high, and we have an election next year.. but uh.. let's talk about how gender marketed air fresheners are bad for society.

truly the most privileged take. peace. i have other bigger things to worry about right now than combating the fucking marketing industry.

and by the way, this is so low on the totem pole of bullshit reinforcing gender stereotypes, it's nothing short of hilarious that you think you're being an advocate for the disintegration of them by protesting a fucking air freshener.

Everything affects society. Gendered marketing is not on the level of human rights, for example, but it ultimately affects society negatively. It's not fair to dismiss a concern just because it's not on a higher league. Small issues don't just disappear because bigger ones exist.

priorities. this is not the time to be combating the marketing industry. this is what people mean when they say progressives need to start picking their battles, we have a lot bigger shit on our plate right now than gender based marketing.

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
If you're going to talk about pointlessly gendered products designed to appeal to insecure babymen you can't leave out POWERFUL MAN YOGHURT!

DiYSkarW0AA4B56.jpg

Because nothing says hyper masculine alpha male like spooning thick white liquid full of protein into your mouth that's advertised next to pictures of a super cut dudes' abs.

18frmujl2vmn3jpg.jpg

Yes. It's real.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I cynically love this shit. I want to live for a month buying only products marketed exclusively to men. Power Yogurt, Ball Smell for my car, testical juice, everything

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Marketing to insecure men who need their masculinity assured when buying....Car air fresheners.
Why are people who use this insecure? You're just generalizing people because you don't like the way a product is being marketed.

This whole thread is juvenile as all fuck. Some of you people need to relax.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an issue with this or any product that markets itself to men or women in a non obviously offensive way. These products are perfectly fine to me.

People who call men who like to buy these things insecure are the ones with the problem, not the men buying these products.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Branding's dumb, but I admit there's a need for a car air freshener that doesn't look extremely tacky. Like, everything's either the paper tree or a peice of filmsy plastic crammed into an air vent.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017

families have been getting locked in cages at the border, black people get gunned down by police regularly, corruption in the U.S. is at an all time high, and we have an election next year.. but uh.. let's talk about how gender marketed air fresheners are bad for society.

truly the most privileged take. peace. i have other bigger things to worry about right now than combating the fucking marketing industry.

and by the way, this is so low on the totem pole of bullshit reinforcing gender stereotypes, it's nothing short of hilarious that you think you're being an advocate for the disintegration of them by protesting a fucking air freshener.

priorities. this is not the time to be combating the marketing industry. this is what people mean when they say progressives need to start picking their battles, we have a lot bigger shit on our plate right now than gender based marketing.
You are dismissing the larger picture by tackling this strawman of "air freshener marketing." This thread isn't there yet, and probably will never get there, but the truth is: the problem isn't this single air freshener, but rather, there's pattern of gendered marketing that plays into stereotyping and separation of masculinity vs femininity. This "for men air freshener" concept is theoretically just a spark that plays into a larger fire of a conversation.

You can say "this is not the time to be combating the marketing industry" as much as you want, but over the past few years we as a society have been tackling things like what toys/colors/properties/clothes/interests only boys can have vs. girls. I couldn't possibly take you seriously if you think the marketing industry is not closely related to harmful stereotypes and social exclusion.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Well, the most products here listed have a legit target group, the marketing is just stupid to a point where I as a man wouldn't buy it.
Which is also absurd, there is a trend to reduce girls/women pandered marketing of perfectly unisex products just to create men pandering.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they make men-themed products like wipes and kleenex plastered with shit like "BIGGER" on it says a lot about how easy it is to tap into a certain type of..... male insecurity

Just lol at this kind of shit

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I love when my car smells nice. I love the sandalwood smell. Get lots of compliments. It also just makes driving around all the nicer.

Also like the product design. Might have to pick one up.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Don't like something dangling from your mirror? That's perfectly reasonable, I don't like it either. Febreze makes an air freshener that clips into your air vent.

7zTUlex.jpg

Fragile masculinity is so fucking pathetic.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree, I think it's stupid and said as much. But my point in my last post was that discrimination hiring is many magnitudes more important than selling garbage junk to men.

Your field, career marketing, has been easily the worst offender at gender, race, age, and class-based marketing and it's contributed to the terrible work environment in so many industries (particularly mine, tech). I hope a lot of people in your field recognize how they've contributed to discrimination in hiring, and how most continue to contribute to it. These days it's less so around gender and race, and more so around age. Age discrimination in marketing and hiring has only recently come to the forefront (specifically when the NYT/ProPublica did that massive expose in ~2017) and, like marketers did from 40 or 50 years ago around gender and race, a lot are openly hostile to the criticism they've gotten around age discrimination and marketing. I'd assume you're not hostile to that criticism, but many of your colleagues are.
Oh for sure job marketing has historically been terrible for discrimination etc and to be honest it still is. I know for my team and sector (I work in the public sector) improving diversity is a massive priority and is basically our only real target. I will say that in the private sector it isn't as good, many businesses seem to think of diversity as only a matter or gender and not really ethnicity which is really fucking stupid and horrible. Been to industry events and been shocked at some businesses responses to diversity questions.
To jump into the conversation, I would just like to say in general some people might just like the aesthetic and smell, and it may very well be "right for them", which wouldn't be a situation where gender stereotype reinforcement is needed to be talked about.

And really, from what I can see, the only thing gender specific here is the brand name. At least it wasn't "Got balls?"

Speaking of balls. Those stupid truck ball sacks that people put on are 1000 million times worse.
Nothing wrong at all with people having personal likes and dislikes, we all like different things and that isn't a problem. Just marketing that tries to portray certain things as being masculine or Feminine etc is what I have an issue with.

Marvelous pretty much covered everything I could have said.
You are dismissing the larger picture by tackling this strawman of "air freshener marketing." This thread isn't there yet, and probably will never get there, but the truth is: the problem isn't this single air freshener, but rather, there's pattern of gendered marketing that plays into stereotyping and separation of masculinity vs femininity. This "for men air freshener" concept is theoretically just a spark that plays into a larger fire of a conversation.

You can say "this is not the time to be combating the marketing industry" as much as you want, but over the past few years we as a society have been tackling things like what toys/colors/properties/clothes/interests only boys can have vs. girls. I couldn't possibly take you seriously if you think the marketing industry is not closely related to harmful stereotypes and social exclusion.
Fantastic post, sadly many people can't see the connection between something seemingly innocuous as an air freshener and the underlying societal issues it helps feed into.

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to talk about pointlessly gendered products designed to appeal to insecure babymen you can't leave out POWERFUL MAN YOGHURT!

DiYSkarW0AA4B56.jpg

Because nothing says hyper masculine alpha male like spooning thick white liquid full of protein into your mouth that's advertised next to pictures of a super cut dudes' abs.

18frmujl2vmn3jpg.jpg

Yes. It's real.

Plain.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
If it is any consolation, I bet this business is dead in a few years. Sub models for random products is the new "loot crate".

Remember all those sub boxes of random shit?

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
I completely understand having to play into the existing marketplace, but isn't this issue caused by itself? The reason why men weren't buying the product that wasn't labeled "for men" is because every other product has "for men." So, the obvious assumption is: a) other products are labeled for men, b) your product isn't labeled for men, c) therefore your product must not be for men. It stems from a lack of education that anyone can use any product, and that men genuinely think women's products will affect them biologically.
I don't have the data on that, but I think you're right. It's not that this kind of products exists because men didn't use "women's" products in the first place, it exists because men were perfectly fine using it and companies found an opportunity to double the amount of soap/shampoo/deodorant/etc per household.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a subscription service for everything huh? Who needs a car freshener subscription? Lmao.

Oct 28, 2017
real men dont need air fresheners, our manly natural musk and funky-sex-stained seat covers is all we need to show betas and women what's what.

but seriously, bath and body works has some really good ones. when they ask me to order stuff from there i always buy some car fresheners for myself

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Don't like something dangling from your mirror? That's perfectly reasonable, I don't like it either. Febreze makes an air freshener that clips into your air vent.

7zTUlex.jpg

Fragile masculinity is so fucking pathetic.
Yeah this is what I use because I hate stuff hanging from my mirror.

That being said, I don't see any issues with anything posted in the OP...it's no different than stuff marketed towards women. Unless I'm missing something.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is what I use because I hate stuff hanging from my mirror.

That being said, I don't see any issues with anything posted in the OP...it's no different than stuff marketed towards women. Unless I'm missing something.

You're not, but apparently this contributes to toxic masculinity and only appeals to emotionally stunted insecure men.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I am now upset that these marketing pricks think men and women need different underarm deodorant. How dare they!

I mean, guess it just depends on what the user wants. What style do they want? What fragrance? This one goes the route of wood fragrance, made from wood, and seemingly discrete. When it comes to air freshners, thats basically all you are buying. There are tons of different styles and smells.

To me, it looks like something from the 80s (and has the soul of the 80s with it).

In some respects, it is almost a symptom of "air smells" being centric to women, and because of that, their brand name and marketing strategy is centered around men.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
I don't have the data on that, but I think you're right. It's not that this kind of products exists because men didn't use "women's" products in the first place, it exists because men were perfectly fine using it and companies found an opportunity to double the amount of soap/shampoo/deodorant/etc per household.
I definitely have been more focused on the social/logical implications of all of this, but damn is that a good point. I hadn't thought about the "why" before.

Capitalism's ability to separate society with this kind of ease is astounding. Lie just enough to imply there's a difference between men and women and you can double your market, and you get the bonus of causing deep-seeded societal issues at the same time.

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily for this company real men dont give two shits what people on a nerdy Internet forum think about their purchases.

Make one that smells like steak. I'll buy 3.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

DiYSkarW0AA4B56.jpg

18frmujl2vmn3jpg.jpg

Yes. It's real.

Oh lord.

*fan fan fan