• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 3, 2019
No different than say gendered freshening products like deodorant and lthe like marketed as just for women. Would you say those are marketed to emotionally stunted women?

OP
OP
Detective Loki
Nov 30, 2018
https://i./i/pix/2016/05/24/10/348E80DD00000578-3606217-image-a-28_1464080453345.jpg
1-31.jpg

tumblr_o7qkox3dkf1r83d7lo3_1280.jpg

734478992221306880-png__700.jpg

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I've had the displeasure of being borderline poisoned by a marketed-for-men air freshener which smelled so strongly of mahogany and leather that if I closed my eyes I pictured myself in a gay conversion therapy session headed by middle-aged cowboys.

Anyway, if mass-marketed products aren't going to coddle men, who will? They can't sustain their egos entirely off of acting tough on internet message boards.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They could go full satirical like that other one, the "look at my hand, look again, it's a horse" or something direction.
I think there would be a market for a better looking air freshener. I have three pieces of scented wood hanging in my closest to ward off moths (woolen coat), and I bought them specifically because they didn't look like the fluffy dangly moth ball things you see often.

So drop the gendered stuff and lean into how much nicer it looks as a product.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Why are there so many super smart and savvy business people in this thread conflating people not liking a type of marketing and people who don't know what marketing is?

We get it, you love the free market and cash rules everything around you. Can we have a discussion about gendered stereotypes and their place in our culture?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
hooray cultivated identity in capitalism!

don't forget: these are the same companies that have men in their commercials shown being complete imbeciles and the woman has to come in and do things right because he's apparently useless.

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
https://i./i/pix/2016/05/24/10/348E80DD00000578-3606217-image-a-28_1464080453345.jpg
1-31.jpg

tumblr_o7qkox3dkf1r83d7lo3_1280.jpg

734478992221306880-png__700.jpg

Man yoghurt is extra funny to me because it sounds so much like a euphemism for sperm. Something I guess the kind of guy insecure enough to have to buy fucking yoghurt in a jet black container with the word "MAN" on it would get really annoyed about someone pointing out.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
all these products, the companies did market research and it was mainly women buying their products, so just slap a "For Men" on there. This isn't really anything new.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where are all the men conspiracy theorists these days? Surely this marketing ploy is an attempt to specifically target and weaken all ordinary plebs to "clear the playing field." Buy women's products instead!

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Gendered marketing is dumb and reinforces gender stereotypes. It contributes to insecurity among men and women on what it means to be a man/woman. This insecurity in turn contributes to mental health problems and toxic masculinity. One could argue that gendered marketing contributes to the rise of the alt right and to getting Trump elected. So I'd argue that it's not really a small problem.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Just marketing, but they need to be specific about their scents. I'm OK with leather or mahogany or a specific scent. Saying something generic like "manly scent" sounds gross to me. I don't want your manly scent anywhere near me.

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
My husband wanted to start shit when I was using his men products. As if I cared. Just because it has cedar instead of roses.

The more flowery it smells, the more it attracts bees. So there's your answer.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The product itself seems fine, I can see a market for a discreet, reasonably stylish air freshener. The marketing is dumb though.

We know you've heard the Call of Daddy. Tactical Baby Gear® has answered it for you with this front carry Molle compatible Tactical Baby Carrier®. Why use a baby carrier designed with anything less than military-like efficiency and ruggedness at its core? Don't. Dad Life is tough; make sure your baby carrier is equally as tough

I didn't want to believe that was actual ad copy, so I googled it, and holy shit

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this whole for men thing is dumb but that thing looks pretty slick. Definitely better than the ones you hang on your mirror.

Oct 27, 2017
The car air freshener in the OP really isn't as silly or bad as some of the other examples in this thread. Its design and marketing are perfect for the young, white, male upper middle class professional who probably drives a new used Lexus or BMW.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Man yoghurt is extra funny to me because it sounds so much like a euphemism for sperm. Something I guess the kind of guy insecure enough to have to buy fucking yoghurt in a jet black container with the word "MAN" on it would get really annoyed about someone pointing out.
This yoghurt (well, whole line because you can buy shakes and bars) is advertised as high protein product.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
No different than say gendered freshening products like deodorant and lthe like marketed as just for women. Would you say those are marketed to emotionally stunted women?

It's pointless division, and there are countless comparisons where "for women" marketed items like deodorant and razors are shown to cost more for the same or less amount than a unisex or male-targeted product of the same type. That said I'd say if someone buys or avoids a product specifically because it has "for women" (or "for men") and pink/purple (black/dark blue) on it rather than because it smells a certain way or it's formulated to some specific need they have (like ph balanced washes, perhaps), then they're being pretty insecure. "Bic pens for Her" (a real thing) is peak dumb. And when it came out everyone did make fun of it and the type of person who the marketing department thought might exist.

Unfortunately if you want to smell a certain way you probably have to buy something with a for men/women label stamped on it. That said something like a car freshener, pens, or bread doesn't need to be separated out by gender, so in those cases it's probably targeting insecurities and "emotionally stunted" people.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For men/For women marketing is always ridiculous though I have no doubt they work to an extent.

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
I definitely have been more focused on the social/logical implications of all of this, but damn is that a good point. I hadn't thought about the "why" before.

Capitalism's ability to separate society with this kind of ease is astounding. Lie just enough to imply there's a difference between men and women and you can double your market, and you get the bonus of causing deep-seeded societal issues at the same time.
Yes!

And it's not just about fragile masculinity, this (bad) Old Spice case from W+K makes it clear that men didn't care that much, they were just using whatever body wash their wives/gfs bought, so Old Spice started telling women their husbands/boyfriends needed a "men" body wash. And it saved Old Spice.

I hated it.

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Thread is trying to make fun of something, and most folks who know jack shit about marketing (and want to sound woke) are making a fool of themselves in the process... lol

Why are scented products being mentioned? Should all labels be neutral and just have everyone open and smell shit... just to end up buying what marketing data already gathered to be gender specific favoutites?

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Thread is trying to make fun of something, and most folks who know jack shit about marketing (and want to sound woke) are making a fool of themselves in the process... lol

Why are scented products being mentioned? Should all labels be neutral and just have everyone open and smell shit... just to end up buying what marketing data already gathered to be gender specific favoutites?
I think the point is there are products that should be targeted to groups of people, and those that should not. This is one that should not. What makes it a "Man" air freshener? Why can't a woman use it?

Shit, look at the toothpaste posted. What even is that?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I have no doubt it works, it's just sad and cynical because when we talk about issues like toxic masculinity in culture, this is what contributes to the problem.

OP
OP
Detective Loki
Nov 30, 2018

Why are scented products being mentioned? Should all lables be neutral and just have everyone open and smell shit... just to end up buying what marketing data already gathered to be gendered specific favoutites?

The marketing implies it's only for men as if men need separate air fresheners than women

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do these dumb motherfuckers already know Febreeze has air fresheners that aren't trees hanging? And they're fucking great?

And they smell like the beach and shit, which is something I would rather have my car smell like instead of an air freshener that I assume smells like Axe.

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think the point is there are products that should be targeted to groups of people, and those that should not. This is one that should not. What makes it a "Man" air freshener? Why can't a woman use it?

Shit, look at the toothpaste posted. What even is that?

Air freshner is a scented product and these have to compete in store shelves with dozens of others. If data shows that 5 out of lets say 20 scents you as a company produce is mostly favoured by men, marketing it as a such is an attempt to direct that potential market towards those products as quickly and effectively as possible.

Men specific toothpaste is stupid but so is the argument that its packaged as such because dudebros are insecure about brushing their teeth.

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
What's the difference between this and male aftershaves?

Aftershave, for the most part, isn't specifically tailored to appeal to insecure men who don't want to use a generic or "female" orientated alternative.

Look at any of the other unnecessarily gendered products in this thread. There's a clear trend towards taking stuff stereotypically associated with women or even children and babies like wet wipes, and making it aggressively manly or masculine.

Aftershave doesn't tend to do that unless it's tongue in cheek, like with the recent Old Price ads. Just compare any aftershave ad to one for Axe body spray. The target market is very different.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's also a subscription service. The only bingo spot missing is it's not called "scnts".

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Air freshner is a scented product and these have to compete in store shelves with dozens of others. If data shows that 5 out of lets say 20 scents you as a company produce is mostly favoured by men, marketing it as a such is an attempt to direct that potential market towards those products as quickly and effectively as possible.

Men specific toothpaste is stupid but so is the argument that its packaged as such because dudebros are insecure about brushing their teeth.
Oh I fully get the business end of it, I have a marketing degree after all, I just think it's ridiculous.

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I have no doubt it works, it's just sad and cynical because when we talk about issues like toxic masculinity in culture, this is what contributes to the problem.

Toxic is shaming a dude for liking a female branded product. No one should care.
Using sales data to be more specific in your labeling so a larger percentage of specific people find what they are looking for as quickly as possible, is good marketing.

Most of these examples are products no one wants to spend more than 2 minutes searching for. Making neutral packages for lets say body wash, is just gonna make life miserable for the majority that already naturally gravitated towards certain variants.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Using sales data to be more specific in your labeling so a larger percentage of specific people find what they are looking for as quickly as possible, is good marketing.
It creates the social expectations that as a man you should buy man things. There's feedback here, yes, marketing draws from purchasing habits but purchasing habits are also driven by marketing.

No one would care if all products were gender neutral, you see? Now you get dirty looks if you buy feminine toothpaste instead of masculine toothpaste or whatever the fuck. The exploitation of gender insecurity further reinforces gender insecurity.