• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 30, 2018
tipevE3.jpg

https://reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments/c3pcr7/unskippable_ads_in_a_60_game_fuck_you_2k/

How they afford it being $3? lol

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely explains the $3 price. Great work here, EA

edit: should have been more overt with the sarcasm tag that this is EA-like but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering about that... Lol glad I just borrowed my brothers copy

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
NBA 2K has done this for years, this was the first or second year where they stated skippable scenes were gonna be the norm, guess not. But what do you expect? The company is money hungry, one of the main modes in the game is basically a lootbox mode where you gotta use digital currency that takes forever to get (or buy it, which most youtubers endorse) and buy a bunch of packs with low ass odds to get a super limited card for a game that people will jump ship for in a year.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Nba 2k is probably the most cynical gaming product on the market. You have to go to the Gatorade product placement center to do activities every few games in the career mode!

Everyone involved in this product should really eat shit.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
NBA 2K has done this for years, this was the first or second year where they stated skippable scenes were gonna be the norm, guess not. But what do you expect? The company is money hungry, one of the main modes in the game is basically a lootbox mode where you gotta use digital currency that takes forever to get (or buy it, which most youtubers endorse) and buy a bunch of packs with low ass odds to get a super limited card for a game that people will jump ship for in a year.
Yeah NBA2K and sports video games in general have been pretty fucking gross with monetization in the past few years and it just seems to get worse each year.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Im expecting more shit like this to happen if governments put the hammer down on loot boxes. Gotta get that revenue from somewhere!

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Nba 2k is probably the most cynical gaming product on the market. You have to go to the Gatorade product placement center to do activities every few games in the career mode!

Everyone involved in this product should really eat shit.

Yup.
Even at 3.99 I didn't get it given I play mostly my player and that's a micro transaction mess...

You're paying $3.99 to play the game, but to actually enjoy MyCareer, you'd end up somehow someway convincing yourself that buying the virtual currency to make your player better, here and there, isn't much. Then next thing you know, you're trying to max out your player by buying the currency to have a good time considering they fucking lowball the fuck out of the MyPlayers in the beginning with a 55-60 overall. You can't do shit with the player in the beginning.

I blame the 2K Youtubers for making it the norm.
It was $3 on the eShop too, so fuck Nintendo too.

Still ain't worth it

Yeah NBA2K and sports video games in general have been pretty fucking gross with monetization in the past few years and it just seems to get worse each year.

Yeah, it's fucking sad. I jumped ship from this game like 5 years ago, and it's only gotten worse.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

They have the closest to a mobile audience you can get in the console market (with music based games a close second).

Gotta milk them dry is the thought process sadly.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Well, I know why I didn't even payed 3 bucks for it and still refused to support it.

Shame on everyone who did.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
What happens when the competition goes away, they get greedy with them being the only avenue. The only one that isn't this shitty is The Show.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be curious to hear if the game requires an online connection to be played now (or at least for progression, and not just some quick match option). I can't make any promises, but something tells me it might.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
So glad I got this for only 3 bucks so now this wouldn't bother me much lol.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Honestly if games started costing less I wouldn't mind. Just don't put it for people who paid 60

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, NBA 2K has gone from being one of my favorite games with NBA 2K15 to "I will never buy this shit again" with 2K19 (got it as a bundle with Xbox Pro).

Fuck that. I used to love MyPlayer and yet here we are, got to spend minimum $50 on one build now in mtx, high MTX for everything, and now ads.

Live 19 is actually a decent game, getting better and fun to play without any paid MTX on SP to develop the player char (don't think you can buy even cosmetics for that single player).

It really is a complete insanity what they have done with the game series. The base basketball engine is actually really good, they have a decent story every year (well, not a great one but B movie quality) and overall without MTX and enforced terrible performance at lower levels (to force you to buy said MTX), the game would have been great. Yet here we are...

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
I made a stand to not support this shit at full price anymore. $3 was absolutely worth it though. The shit they pull and the little that's added every year is not worth the full $60 price tag.