• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
So, there's a girl I used to talk to (never touched her, never even hung out with her outside of school) who I had a falling out with and she started spreading rumors that I'm planning to rape and murder her.

For context, I'm in high school and spend the vast majority of my time working, playing video games, and watching movies. I don't party or anything like that. I kinda brushed the rumors off because she's a known liar who posts pictures of other people on her Instagram (bikini pics where you can't see her face) and has said other false things in the past.

Then it got around, other people started believing her, and she started telling people I'm planning on running her over with my car. So I quickly nipped it in the bud and took it to the school resource officer yesterday who will talk to her on Monday BUT then I start receiving threats from some guy who believes I'm harassing and plotting to rape some girl. (Neither of which are true obviously)

So, here I am, stuck in this bizarre bind. I'm hoping the school tells her to knock it the fuck off and tells her to apologize to me but they said they can't make her do anything. So, I guess I may just have this reputation of being someone who plots to rape girls until I graduate in 5 months. Not exactly sure what to do about this.

I'm not concerned with any legal trouble because there's nothing that could possibly come back to suggest I am guilty of anything at all, more so that I am frustrated there is social damage that I don't know can be undone

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
So, there's a girl I used to talk to (never touched her, never even hung out with her outside of school) who I had a falling out with and she started spreading rumors that I'm planning to rape and murder her.

For context, I'm in high school and spend the vast majority of my time working, playing video games, and watching movies. I don't party or anything like that. I kinda brushed the rumors off because she's a known liar who posts pictures of other people on her Instagram (bikini pics where you can't see her face) and has said other false things in the past.

Then it got around, other people started believing her, and she started telling people I'm planning on running her over with my car. So I quickly nipped it in the bud and took it to the school resource officer yesterday who will talk to her on Monday BUT then I start receiving threats from some guy who believes I'm harassing and plotting to rape some girl. (Neither of which are true obviously)

So, here I am, stuck in this bizarre bind. I'm hoping the school tells her to knock it the fuck off and tells her to apologize to me but they said they can't make her do anything. So, I guess I may just have this reputation of being someone who plots to rape girls until I graduate in 5 months. Not exactly sure what to do about this.

I'm not concerned with any legal trouble because there's nothing that could possibly come back to suggest I am guilty of anything at all, more so that I am frustrated there is social damage that I don't know can be undone
You're doing the right thing in reporting it to the school. Other than that, unless someone really threatens you, just concentrate on graduating and leaving these dumbasses in your dust.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
You should take all the evidence you have and give it to this resource officer.

If nothing happens, take it to your local media. They'd love a scoop like this.

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa

This is something I didn't even consider, guess I'll leave that as an open option if nothing is done.

Edit: Nah, probably a dumb idea in hindsight.

Last edited:

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

I don't think the media is interested in a he said/she said. The best thing for the OP is to get some people you know maybe the school authority and have a meeting in a room to settle this. Don't do it alone because then the girl can scream rape and really screw you over.

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Have you thought of contacting the police?
That's what the school resource officer I mentioned is for. They said they'll handle it and if anything serious happens over the weekend, I can contact the actual police department. I didn't take the threat seriously, seems like a kid playing tough guy so I'm not concerned but still, annoying to deal with.

What did your parents advise?
They told me I did the right thing in contacting the office and school resource officer, they told me to just see what happens on Monday.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would think this considered bullying so I feel like they would have to do something about it and not just talk to her.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Go see a lawyer. Pay him to write a Formal Notice that explicitely tells the girl to stop doing what she is doing lest you take the matter to the courts. Send the letter to the girl's home through Registered Mail. Address the letter to the girl, and to her parents too if she is minor.

She will stop.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Just in case, I would also document everything that guy threatening you is saying and tell him you're going to the police with it. I don't know if you will, but you should actually make a report so you have it on file.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
EDIT: I thought you meant do it himself. Hah.

Depending on the severity of this, I would probably speak with your parents and hire an attorney.

Weird, I would think THAT would be a better option...before going to the media or anything.

Then, heck going to the parents with you and your own parent(s).

These are serious allegations.

Edit-

school resource officers are cops

Well then, this should be enough.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is something I didn't even consider, guess I'll leave that as an open option if nothing is done.

DON'T take it to your local media, that's fucking dumb idea. It's a total he said/she said situation and with the way things are going lately, if the story gets out on the news you'll get blamed no matter what.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Fuck the school resource officer. Call the real cops. She's spreading rumors and apparently putting you in some amount of danger (whether real or not doesn't matter).

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
If she doesn't knock it off, tell your parents and see if they'd consider legal action against her.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
On 2nd thought: dont say anything and lawyer up, and keep track of everything. Im more worried for you about getting beat up or threatened.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
OP, if somehow cops get involved, easy piece of advice. DON'T SAY SHIT. Lawyer up immediately.

You might want to say something because you know for a fact that you're innocent and it couldn't possibly hurt you, but guess what? It can and it does all of the time.

Seriously, don't say a fucking thing until you have legal representation.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Wait until Monday, but you being the one going to the school first, and explaining you have no idea how those rumors even came to fruition is the correct step.

Just a question, have you talked to the girl in question? Ask her why is she saying those things about you? One thing is being a cheeky liar and uploading fake pictures, other completely different thing is framing someone in a crime.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying I dont believe you, but can you please expand on this "falling out" you had with this girl?

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
DON'T take it to your local media, that's fucking dumb idea. It's a total he said/she said situation and with the way things are going lately, if the story gets out on the news you'll get blamed no matter what.

Fair, I guess that's the way it goes now with the whole believe women thing (which is understandable but it paints me into a corner if I did that)

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ASleepingMonkey dude take my advice upthread. You don't need to actually go to court or even to call the cops. The Formal Notice is going to scare the shit out of the girl and she will stop. If that's the only thing you ask of the lawyer, it should cost you a reasonable price.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
Good advice here. It's important you protect yourself and clear up your name too.
Talking to local media is really terrible advice.

The best thing to do is look into an attorney, especially if cops become involved. And again as I said earlier, do not say a fucking thing to the cops without a lawyer.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Go to the police and make a report and save for the future , just in case.

Last edited:

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Good thread op!
Sometimes it can be a soap opera. You'll develop more introvert aspects post high school.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Go see a lawyer. Pay him to write a Formal Notice that explicitely tells the girl to stop doing what she is doing lest you take the matter to the courts. Send the letter to the girl's home through Registered Mail. Address the letter to the girl, and to her parents too if she is minor.

She will stop.

This is a good idea. Also, do not go to the media, lol.

Sorry you are going through this op. I couldn't imagine going through this. I mean, wow, what an asshole she is.

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Not saying I dont believe you, but can you please expand on this "falling out" you had with this girl?
Sure, guess that was vague. So, after talking for a bit and asking her to hang out, she kept flaking out. I thought hey, this is a sign that she doesn't have any interest in me, Fair.

I ask if she even wants to hang out, if she doesn't it's ok to be honest because otherwise it just drags this out and makes it confusing for everyone. She says she really truly wants to hang out. So this goes on for a few more weeks, continues to flake out of plans. I just get over it, move on to another girl, she finds out and freaks out on me.

She claims I say all the same stuff to both of them (I didn't), she claims I'm a manwhore (not really), and all this stuff. She blows up on me, I take this opportunity to ask again if she ever had any intention of hanging out with me. She says no, so I don't know why she's so upset.

She blocks me out of anger, I kept my cool, and I assume she's upset because she's no longer getting all the attention. Whatever, move on. Several weeks later, these rumors pop up. And the rest you know.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
This must be the worst fucking idea I've seen in a long time.
Local media, no.

Local attorney, yes.

Going to your local media is such common practice for mothers when the school isn't doing anything to stop their children from being bullied.

In this case though, I didn't know a resource officer is a cop. We don't have those in Australia. A cop is a pretty good bet.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Was going to ask this as well. I've seen so many previous threads backfire.

But OP you shouldn't care about a thread that back fires. This is just the internet. What you should be worried about is not BSing yourself in real life, because you might have to deal with some shit that you could have avoided.

So if there is anything you are leaving out, you should let folks here know. You're only in high school, I don't think people will be too hard on you here.

If you are telling us everything, then fine. You are doing everything right so far. But if you did make a mistake (which is part of growing up), you should come forward and get some good advice.

Edit- ok just seen your response OP. You seem pretty mature for a High Schooler. Keep it up.