• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I think many would argue that GOG is the gold standard but if that disappeared suddenly, anything you haven't already backed up would still be lost to you
But let's be honest, it's more likely for big stores to disappear without warning or for a physical game to be stolen/broken/lost?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Say for whatever reason that Steam ceases to be, how will you have access to all those PC games?
Also, the physical copies may not work right now, but there is work on fanmade servers so those who have lost access to their digital versions won't be able to play The Crew ever again Whilst the physical owners will.
Aren't the server emulators being made for PC which is digital only?

I think many would argue that GOG is the gold standard on digital ownership but if that disappeared suddenly, anything you haven't already backed up would still be lost to you
Think about what one way or the other means. That's for both you and dose.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Say for whatever reason that Steam ceases to be, how will you have access to all those PC games?
Also, the physical copies may not work right now, but there is work on fanmade servers so those who have lost access to their digital versions won't be able to playThe Crew ever again Whilst the physical owners will.
Cracks and emulators, all of which currently exist.

Grove

Apr 3, 2024
Should I be mad that my copies of Earth & Beyond, Tabula Rasa, Planetside, Marvel Heroes 2015, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, and any number of other online games don't work anymore? This is the nature and the risk of online-only games, which is certainly what The Crew was. Is it okay for Ubi to just be yanking it from people's accounts? No, but at the same time, what the hell am I going to do with it, exactly? It's dead. I knew the day would come when I bought it.
Shadowbane has an emulator. Planetside has an emulator. Marvel Heroes has an emulator. Star Wars Galaxies has an emulator and an arguably larger community than it did post-NGE. I use my copy of Star Wars Galaxies on Steam that is still downloadable to this day to play that emulator.

What Ubisoft did is ensure that when The Crew inevitably does get an emulator/offline mode, you're going to have to pirate the installation files to play a game that you own. They even had the audacity to say "check our store for something to replace the thing we took away from you, kthxbye".

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
Also, the physical copies may not work right now, but there is work on fanmade servers so those who have lost access to their digital versions won't be able to play The Crew ever again whilst the physical owners will.
This issue has been fixed by Valve forever ago. They allow third parties to run content/authentication servers

Grove

Apr 3, 2024
This issue has been fixed by Valve forever ago. They allow third parties to run content/authentication servers
Yep. If that day were to ever come, we might have to download some executable patcher that would exist within an hour of Steam shutting down but preservation groups would keep those CDNs going at their own expense and I'm sure those groups would be very successful in doing so.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Digital is fine, I will always have access to every PC game I paid for one way or another, same for books. Always online is the issue.

Not to mention physical copies of this game don't work either.

PC games on services such as Steam are centralized, so when that goes, so do your digital games.

In today's world of gaming you own nothing. It's why I try to buy physical where I can (thanks PlayAsia!) and avoid digital.

Still terrible how things went digital and we still have $70 games. This is thanks to all the savings going into the company pockets and not us. Manufacturing and shipping at that stage no longer exists. No need to fight for retail space since it's just paper cards. Now, does that cost savings pass off to us? Of course not and why would it when they can just charge us what they did for games that included all that additional cost?

They got to increase their bottom lines while also putting massive limitations of the products they sell us. They get to have you buy it, meanwhile they still own it. The scene has gone from ownership to rental.

Likely the main reason I game a lot less than I used to. I still buy Switch games though. At least for now I know that in 20 years I can still play them.

Edit - Also worth mentioning is that someone like me isn't made of money, so the other BIG perk of physical ownership is that I can buy a $70 game, finish it, sell for $35 and then get another game for $35 more, rather than be stuck with the $70 game I may never play again and have to lay out $70 again for another.

That's what is sad to see. We are losing that level of ownership. No resale potential while experiencing ballooning game pricing.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed they were looking into including the Xbox 360 etc too but yeh I could be wrong.

If the digital store became unavailable you wouldn't have any games to use the cracks and emulators on.
But I would have the games I have installed, which is pretty much my entire library since I don't really uninstall things.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
where are those defenders who say stuff like "who doesn't have internet 2024" in these online only threads? I'm waiting for them to comment on this situation
I mean if anything the internet and it's existence would also be the reason people can come together to fight this crap and make private servers and all of that too.
Removing the game from people's libraries right as private servers are about to become available is real fucking dirty.
IKR. I honestly really hate that many games just don't have any sort of continuity arragements in place and and things like local lan play for many of them should be standard but that's just me I guess.

Grove

Apr 3, 2024
Same. I enjoyed Lawbreakers a lot more than significantly more successful multiplayer shooters on the market. CliffyB is quite a character but the game itself is fine. If Lawbreakers can come back from the dead completely at random, anything can.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Where is most of the news on the local server simulator? I remember reading a few weeks ago about how something was in the wings, but haven't followed up on it since.

BTW Also here in Australia, showing in Uplay that the game is unavailable (as per other people in this thread).

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I'm feeling a lot less secure with my games on uplay/Ubisoft Connect (or whatever it's called) now that ubisoft has set the precedent that they can just remove a game from our accounts. Has the game been removed from steam accounts as well or is it only on uplay?
They could have gone the good PR route and actually made the game playable offline. Sure it might have cost them a little bit but you'd think the goodwill would've been worth it.
I imagine The Division is the next game on the chopping block now.

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
I think many would argue that GOG is the gold standard on digital ownership but if that disappeared suddenly, anything you haven't already backed up would still be lost to you

But as long as you do your do diligence GOG installers are even safer than a single disk that can be broken or get damaged or get lost. You can make infinite copies of gog installers on different drives, usb-keys, even put them on a disk if you want.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
But as long as you do your do diligence GOG installers are even safer than a single disk that can be broken or get damaged or get lost. You can make infinite copies of gog installers on different drives, usb-keys, even put them on a disk if you want.

Oh absolutely true that's why I mention GOG as the gold standard, but the onus is on the user to do this, and that can be a huge undertaking depending on the size of their library.
I'm sure many don't do that and thus the hypothetical risk I mention is still true.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Last edited:

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Oh absolutely true that's why I mention GOG as the gold standard, but the onus is on the user to do this, and that can be a huge undertaking depending on the size of their library.
I'm sure many don't do that and thus the hypothetical risk I mention is still true.
Yeah, the size of games is basically why I've decided to trust steam to store my games. I don't have the space to keep storing all the games I own. And I don't want to have to deal with the stress of fearing hard-drives are going to fail and therefore have to keep backups of entire drives and all that.