• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 31, 2017
https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...irm-fined-1-4-m-owner-sent-prison/2509632001/

A Madison Heights chemical plating firm shut down by state regulators three years ago has been ordered to pay nearly $1.5 million and its owner sent to federal prison for illegally storing dangerous chemicals in leaky containers.

Sayers was also sentenced to serve a year in prison followed by three years of supervised release after pleading guilty earlier this year to a federal hazardous waste storage felony.

I had it in my head you could get fined to death but not actual time.

And he was given at least a year so it's actual prison. I'd rather just fine him the million and a half and call it a day.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Certain violations are more serious felonies because they present a clear and immediate hazard to health or deal with substances that are federally controlled.
It still takes a while for things to worm their way through court, but it can result in people getting locked up.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
At one of my old jobs dealing with environmental regs, I had to sign off on chemical and waste manifests and it was always daunting to know that if I fucked something up bad enough, I could be personally liable.

Nothing we dealt with was on the level of a large company so the chances of it happening were super low.

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017
I'd rather we hold people personally responsible when they lead organisations and commit crimes rather than just fining the company.