• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Disappointing. I think in a few months if this thing is easily found on shelves I may grab one in case there's a breakthrough with modding, or if there's no chance for a second revision.

Worst case scenario I find a tutorial on how to remove the innards and swap it out with a Raspberry Pi and just enjoy the official chassis and controllers.

Edit: I did watch LGR's video yesterday, but I've yet to see any premade replica consoles that don't look like garbage. I had a friend preaching to me about making my own retro consoles but when she showed me hers they were super bad quality, and I don't think they'll improve much for a while- at least not with current/common 3D printer tech. I know, paying $100 just for the case and controllers is expensive but I really enjoy tinkering so that could make it worth it for me personally.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it'll ever be decent if it runs on Android. Some libretro contributors were complaining on twitter over the weekend about the inconsistent performance they get out of Android when porting to it. Frame rates and audio/input latency all over the place due to background processes kicking in and out, inherent to the OS.

Unless someone ports a replacement Linux-based OS to it, ala Retropie, we'll probably not be getting a stable, consistent framerate out of this thing ever.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I'm just searching for a better casing.

Would be cool if you could find the casing of the PS classic.

That would be hard because the Model B+ is bigger than the PS Classic case's height and I doubt the Pi Zero would run PS1 games adequately.

I guess that's why all these third party/3D modeled PS1 case are all so atrociously bad looking.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That would be hard because the Model B+ is bigger than the PS Classic case's height and I doubt the Pi Zero would run PS1 games adequately.

I guess that's why all these third party/3D modeled PS1 case are all so atrociously bad looking.
Sucks, we'll have to wait for someone to make a good ps1 case then.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
How can you just flip the games to NTSC? Wouldn't it be a different ISO?
Depends entirely on how the game was written. It's not unusual for a runtime to check it's environment and make the PAL/NTSC switch dynamically. It's also not unusual for the executable (elf) to have that hard coded in at compile time. Neither method is mandated or sanctioned by the platform, at least, not back then.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Detailed thread (in French, that I'll translate) about what is happening with this mess:
https://twitter.com/Zetsuboushitta/status/1069924696647454722
Essentially:
- The system is running on Android using YOCTO
- The emulator is indeed PCSX-reArmed slightly modified but on a very old base, very badly optimized and badly implemented likely due to a lack of time
- Debug mode wasn't removed meaning that you can access it with K75 type Corsair keyboards or different types of Logitech keyboards
- The "60Hz" mode of the debug settings are just interpolating 50hz into 60hz by duplicating frames. aka it's still trash and isn't close to the original experience
- It seems easy to connect the console to a PC and load PC HUBs in it but as of now not to change the games themselves
- Hacking potential seems limited and overall pointless
Here's my post from the OT thread.

I actually challenged his last point about the futility of working deeper on it. Saying that the old PCSX base could be replaced by a more optimized/recent one that could better use the potential of the hardware and I got this answer.

"It's quite possible to modify it afterwards, once the decryption algorithm on the dumped firmware has been fully publicly documented since yesterday.

Reverse-engineering kept for the moment strictly private between several members."

Hope is not lost. :)

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a link to the version of pcsx is being used here? I found pcsx-reloaded-1-9-93 but that was last updated in 2013 it seems. Is there a newer one?

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw your post the first time :')
But yeah hackers may be able to do something with this. But will they even bother with that, considering emulation is crappy anyway ?

I mean, optimizing the PCSX base could make emulation better than crappy, no?

Also I didn't mean to hammer my post on your head, it was more for a public purpose. :)

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
If it's been badly implemented I think it's easier to just wipe it altogether to properly reimplement it. Which I don't know if it's a hard task or not with the current encryption.
No offense, but you seem to be pushing the "it's pointless" aspect a lot. Let people tinker, it doesn't have to be the best emulator option.

Deleted member 38397

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Well I just hope this dismal PS Classic really is an intern summer project and the best engineers are working on the PS5. 😂

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised, considering they literally just used a free fanmade emulator. Seems they didn't even touch the original menus, lol.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think once the hacking scene starts they'll even entertain the idea of getting to current emulator to run games properly, they'll just port a much better emulator to the hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
No offense, but you seem to be pushing the "it's pointless" aspect a lot. Let people tinker, it doesn't have to be the best emulator option.
He's not, really. He reiterated a point made by a modder, and is discussing whether or not the process of making the emulation work afterwords is a fools errand or worth the effort.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Being able to even access the menu is one thing, but that these options then even bring some easy benefits is bonkers. What was Sony even doing?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe an odd question, but are there any games on here that aren't already on PSN?
Tekken 3 and Intelligent Qube (though that's available in Europe and Japan). Also Resident Evil is different than the one on PSN, this one does not have the awful music.

Edit: And Grand Theft Auto, but that one doesn't hold up as well.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Necessary system settings are hidden from users that can actually he accessed by plugging in a keyboad and pushing escape. WAT?

Only a few models of keyboard work. WAT?

This system hates you as mush as Bethesda.

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
There's a few things that just don't.... Don't make sense to me at all. Why do only certain keyboards work? Keyboards are pretty universal at this point. And if you could just change the pal games to ntsc why didn't they just say that and save themselves the backlash?? I don't get it.

I have a Corsair K95 Platinum, wonder if that would work or it's locked down to the K75 for whatever reason.
It's probably whatever keyboard was used for testing and they forgot to remove the ability to use it along with the debug menu.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have an idea how many are publicly trying to crack this thing? I've seen a couple mentioned, but surely there's more?
Who should I be watching for updates?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Wow. And if Tekken 3 runs fine considering the NTSC option then I would be very disappointed. Man what an oversight. But then again, we are now given the power....

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
That's actually interesting. So someone with the Corsair should do something like "xev" on a Linux to see what the escape key actually does on that keyboard and what it sends to the OS.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that some of these keyboards present themselves as multiple HIDs to a system, so perhaps that is somehow contributing to why this works.

Not entirely sure, but this may be the code for detecting access. You can see they've made extensive changes to this file, and from line 625 to 794 there seems to code for handling access to the debug menu. There's references to the escape key here, and also reference to a (disabled) select+triangle combo (active only if the emulator was built with the menu enabled option). If this is the relevant code it would seem to be have been intentionally done.

I may try and get hold of a Pi Zero as you can convert that into a USB keyboard and send whatever key codes you want from it to play around with this further if no one else makes progress in the next few days.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, knowing that the snes and nes classic are (easily) hackable to customize the games did make it appealing enough to purchase personally. If it wasn't hackable, I wouldn't have considered getting them either.
That's not the idea he means, he thinks this is on purpose on Sony's or the manufacturer's side for us, the hacker populace.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean i'd like to give sony the benefit of the doubt in this. Thinking they intentionally did this would be the only justification i can think of....but that's looking pretty slim at this point....and....$600 PS3
What's more likely, SIE outwardly releasing a product that reviews poorly to mediocre to the public but purposefully allowing the most elite and worthy of gamers the privlege to fix their kit... or they just rushed this out for the holiday spending season.

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe they shipped PAL games with this. I can't even begin it to comprehend the reasoning behind it. Especially as Tekken 3 is one of them.

It's breathtakingly mental.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that some of these keyboards present themselves as multiple HIDs to a system, so perhaps that is somehow contributing to why this works.

Not entirely sure, but this may be the code for detecting access. You can see they've made extensive changes to this file, and from line 625 to 794 there seems to code for handling access to the debug menu. There's references to the escape key here, and also reference to a (disabled) select+triangle combo (active only if the emulator was built with the menu enabled option). If this is the relevant code it would seem to be have been intentionally done.

I may try and get hold of a Pi Zero as you can convert that into a USB keyboard and send whatever key codes you want from it to play around with this further if no one else makes progress in the next few days.

I'm gonna to try using Teensy board to spoof the usb VID/PID number of a Corsair k70 and send Esc. Although I need to find the vid/PID number first.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What's more likely, SIE outwardly releasing a product that reviews poorly to mediocre to the public but purposefully allowing the most elite and worthy of gamers the privlege to fix their kit... or they just rushed this out for the holiday spending season.

I swear some people on here are so disconnected from the real world sometimes.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Vita has amazing PS1 emulation. It's the PS2 emulation thats been more difficult. Has Nintendo emulated Gamecube?
Nintendo hasn't, but Nvidia seems to have a GameCube/Wii emulator up and running on the shield. I think the chances of Nintendo being involved in the creation of that are high.