• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Machado

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't. I literally took the PSC to the store, tried it on every keyboard they had and discovered that none of them worked (outside of some buttons triggering things like sleep mode or going back to the menu).
Are you throwing it out the window? Hehehe.

Honest question. Total noob here. What's this sleep mode you mentioned?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
What's more likely, SIE outwardly releasing a product that reviews poorly to mediocre to the public but purposefully allowing the most elite and worthy of gamers the privlege to fix their kit... or they just rushed this out for the holiday spending season.
Hmm tough choice SinCIty, I'll have to go with option 1 though. God Empoer SIE has always treatd the loyal flock right.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This product is a car crash and I'm so into it for the drama (although obvs sorry for anyone who wasted money on this rubbish).

Damn, what a bad product. I hope for a price drop soon.

Two elderly women are at a Catskill Mountain resort. And one of them says: "Boy, the food in this place is really terrible." The other one says: "Yeah, I know. And such small portions."

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that some of these keyboards present themselves as multiple HIDs to a system, so perhaps that is somehow contributing to why this works.

Not entirely sure, but this may be the code for detecting access. You can see they've made extensive changes to this file, and from line 625 to 794 there seems to code for handling access to the debug menu. There's references to the escape key here, and also reference to a (disabled) select+triangle combo (active only if the emulator was built with the menu enabled option). If this is the relevant code it would seem to be have been intentionally done.

I may try and get hold of a Pi Zero as you can convert that into a USB keyboard and send whatever key codes you want from it to play around with this further if no one else makes progress in the next few days.

I just tried making a USB keyboard with Teensy 3.5 using Corsair K70's VID and PID number. When I plug it into PS Classic, a cursor will show up on the screen and the graphics pauses for a second, but it won't bring up the menu. So it's checking for something else. I doubt Pi Zero will work.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
I just tried making a USB keyboard with Teensy 3.5 using Corsair K70's VID and PID number. When I plug it into PS Classic, a cursor will show up on the screen and the graphics pauses for a second, but it won't bring up the menu. So it's checking for something else. I doubt Pi Zero will work.

It's probably probing the HID reports, so you'd have to duplicate that as well as the vid/pid.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question. Total noob here. What's this sleep mode you mentioned?

The sleep thing is a multimedia button some keyboards have which on a PC would tell it to go to sleep. On the PS Classic it's bound to the power button so it turns off the device.

That's interesting. Can the Teensy pretend to be multiple keyboards? Also what are the VID and PID numbers you tried?

Nulak

Nov 11, 2017
Not surprised, there is zero reason to buy this. Like all other "mini" console around. Just buy the real stuff, or document yourself to find better solution.
This is the precise definition of a scam started by Nintendo.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
The sleep thing is a multimedia button some keyboards have which on a PC would tell it to go to sleep. On the PS Classic it's bound to the power button so it turns off the device.

That's interesting. Can the Teensy pretend to be multiple keyboards? Also what are the VID and PID numbers you tried?

I used vid 1b1c PID 1b13.
It seems like people manage to get an Arduino to work as a NKRO keyboard to get the menu. I'm going to try that today. Sounds like NKRO is the key here which Teensy 3 doesn't support.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised, there is zero reason to buy this. Like all other "mini" console around. Just buy the real stuff, or document yourself to find better solution.
This is the precise definition of a scam started by Nintendo.

Perhaps not making a fool of yourself out of forcing your opinion through definitions would help you make a better point.

Scam Definition

scam
/skam/
noun
informal
noun: scam; plural noun: scams
  1. 1.
    a dishonest scheme; a fraud.

The NES/SNES, hell, even the PS Classics aren't scams. Holiday cash-ins? Yeah probably, but they are exactly what they advertise, miniature consoles capable of running X number of games from their respective libraries. Explain to me why there is zero reason to buy any of the mini consoles if Nintendo found success in those to the point where Sony copied them?

Last edited:

Nulak

Nov 11, 2017
Explain you what? That you shouldn't support any scam? Even if it's done by companies you like?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why will this make any difference?

The emulation and performance will still be crap for all the games.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Explain you what? That you shouldn't support any scam? Even if it's done by companies you like?
Sure, keep using your trash vocabulary if that makes you happy.

Doesn't make you more right, man.

Why will this make any difference?

The emulation and performance will still be crap for all the games.

Depending on the hack, the emulator could eventually be improved upon or even replaced by a Retroarch core if the default one is too much of a mess to deal with. Both scenarios could result in better emulation. Those components are showing potential for something better, at least.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What's more likely, SIE outwardly releasing a product that reviews poorly to mediocre to the public but purposefully allowing the most elite and worthy of gamers the privlege to fix their kit... or they just rushed this out for the holiday spending season.

latest

Nulak

Nov 11, 2017
a scam would be if they sold the box and it had nothing on it. this isn't a scam. poorly executed, absolutely.
There is nothing in it. It doesn't run any game like the original ps1 do.

Sure, keep using your trash vocabulary if that makes you happy.

Doesn't make you more right, man.

Depending on the hack, the emulator could eventually be improved upon or even replaced by a Retroarch core if the default one is too much of a mess to deal with. Both scenarios could result in better emulation. Those components are showing potential for something better, at least.

You support scams and now you're asking consumer to fix it. And to do it, you want the same consumer to hack the product and replace it with a solution made by a community who works for free.
Beautiful.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You support scams and now you're asking consumer to fix it. And to do it, you want the same consumer to hack the product and replace it with a solution made by a community who works for free.
Beautiful.

I got this as a gift lol. What do you want me to do, put gasoline on it and burn it down, shaking my fist in the sky, screaming ''FUCK YOU, SONY!'' ?

So instead of accusing companies of frauds they didn't do and people who have this product, you can always get out with that condescending tone, it brings absolutely nothing constructive to the conversation.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
DigitalFoundry tried running it on a Shield to use as comparison for their analysis, and even with that much power it still struggled to achieve perfect performance. So not that good.
Android likely doesn't help. Hackers need to install a lighter Linux OS and probably bring RA to that to really improve things substantially.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Beautiful.

This thread is for people who have the device and maybe want to make the most of it. There are other threads where you can discuss your opinions on the product but let's keep this one on track, please.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest this is so awful Sony should be offering everyone who bought one an apology and a refund.
The Sony of 2018 would never do that though.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I see people have already started to try to emulate the keyboard in question. Soon we'll be able to just plug the thing into a PC or laptop and hack the planet. I mean classic.