• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
This is great news. Why is everyone groaning about it? Of course Sony will not openly say "Here's a box that you can emulate! Now some words from our partners...", but this is good that it's a generic emulator with quick way to mod it. Hope this trend continues for future Classic consoles, and I will continue buying them if they're open source without declaring it one.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone groaning about it?
Because you literally are just better off emulating it for free and they charged you money for this. Also I guess since it only works with a high end brand mechanical keyboard that's easily worth the same price (if not double in some cases), not THAT accessible at the moment.

And also despite everything, the default emulator still isn't running the regular games properly.

Dtd5NkPU0AE2tpo.jpg

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
I will confirm that this works with a Corsair K95. Keyboard USB plug, not the other plug.

On the main menu, arrow keys work, enter is X, backspace is O. It took a few seconds before it recognised input.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
PS Classic requires a Corsair K70 keyboard, a candle lit bath, a 1960 Bordeaux and some the finest oils to access the developer menu. Very specific set of rules before it opens itself up. It is called classy for a reason.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Because you literally are just better off emulating it for free and they charged you money for this. Also I guess since it only works with a high end brand mechanical keyboard that's easily worth the same price (if not double in some cases), not THAT accessible at the moment.

And also despite everything, the default emulator still isn't running the regular games properly.

Dtd5NkPU0AE2tpo.jpg

I noticed this too when im watching GB's unboxing and test

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
PS Classic requires a Corsair K70 keyboard, a candle lit bath, a 1960 Bordeaux and some the finest oils to access the developer menu. Very specific set of rules before it opens itself up. It is called classy for a reason.

Lmao I choked a bit on my coffee. This should teach me to keep beverages away from my desk while browsing ERA.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a really smart Corsair marketing. Buy our 150€+ keyboard to get a chance to hack the PS Classic. ;)

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Sony got their inspiration from FROM software...and the archaic logic in their gameplay systems (world tendency? How does the pose stat in ds3 works?)

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess the Corsair Keyboard is not whitelisted but they have a blacklist of device- and model ids, that's what is usually done to prevent other devices. So there might be a USB blacklist for devices but they are missing the id from this Corsair keyboard, thus it's working.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the Corsair Keyboard is not whitelisted but they have a blacklist of device- and model ids, that's what is usually done to prevent other devices. So there might be a USB blacklist for devices but they are missing the id from this Corsair keyboard, thus it's working.

It's probably the keyboard the apprentice used to make the system.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the first response in the twitter thread in the first post of someone saying they're going out to buy a $100 mechanical gaming keyboard so they could try it on this.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait till someone hacks a Raspberry Pi to think it's a Corsair K75 and then hooks it up to a PS Classic.

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't the ISOs the PAL version though which would result in graphical glitches when speed up through NTSC option? That's at least what happened when you tried to speed up some NES PAL roms. Some would run ok but some were unplayable or resulted in a graphical mess.

I used to force PAL Saturn games into 60hz. The results varied from game to game.

The ones with no PAL optimizations usually ran the best and displayed at full screen. Games that had been optimised would run too fast and parts of the screen would get cut off.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sony...if this is true... what the fuck.

Like, cmon. Gamers have been with you since the start have some fucking integrity and deliver a good product for them ffs.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Doesn't make this piece of shit any better.
Hilarious how blurry and soft and just bad the picture on a 1080p screen is while it's razor pixel sharp on a PS3. I wouldn't even spend 5 bucks on this.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
of course they didn't, because it's pretty much obvious that they had little to do with the whole project. this was likely outsourced, and is like an officially licensed bootleg product.

Whats more likely? They outsourced precious history to an incompetent company or is Sony just incompetent themself? Probably both.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goes to show how much effort Sony put into this lol
Dunno man tried some cheap chinese food and 6 pack of beer and still works.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
So what is a K75? Corsair's website only lists K70 keyboards, no K75.
K70 keyboards aren"t cheap, they go from €120-170.........
That's what the people on the youtube stream claimed to have. I searched for it a few times and only came up with a K70 or a K95. Both of those work though.

That's bizarre in itself. Why does it only work with certain keyboards? A keyboard's a keyboard, isn't it?
You would think that, right? Several of us tried with many different keyboards and came up empty for the most part. An old Logitech G15 I had lying around let me adjust some settings via pre-bound macro hotkeys weirdly enough but not access the full menu. It is bizzare.

Oct 25, 2017
So is that a no for now?
I have no knowledge of how PGXP works, just saying that the very reason they used PCSX ReARMed to begin with was because there were so few emus based on ARM. So I'd assume PGXP would likely have to be worked on for that.

So, they should give PS Classic just "for free" because of this? Ok :)

Of course I'm not saying this. I was responding against you implying that the games' inherent value can absolve the Classic's cost in the state it's in. What I mean in the first place is that the fact they're selling this product at the price it's at with so many QoL features just hidden behind a BIOS purposefully out of reach by the regular consumer, not emulating the games as well as original hardware, and all the other problems, it's sorta nonsense.

Would you like it if I said they were overcharging for it instead? Cause they're charging for a high end toy and what you get, as a consumer, is a novelty that doesn't work as well as it should.

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
How can you just flip the games to NTSC? Wouldn't it be a different ISO?
This kind of option doesn't switch the game to the actual NTSC version, but merely forces the PAL versions to run in the NTSC format, e.g it speeds the games up by roughly 20%. Whether this works well, is usually case by case. Some games run well, others can suffer from a wide range of issues like graphical glitches and the likes. No idea whether it works well with the games included in the PS Classic.

When games are actually optimized for PAL (even badly) this could lead to a whole other set of issues as well. Like running games or music too fast.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018

Am i the only person who thinks they should have, and easily could have, given us the PlayStation Classic in the form of a Vita TV in a special playstation classic shell, with these 20 games pre-loaded, but also the ability to pop into PSN and buy more PS1 games. Heck they could have left in the PSP and Vita compatibility and it would have flown off store shelves. All it needed was a shell that looked like a classic PSX and the classic controller.

Instead they probably spend a few hundred thousand designing this piece of garbage that ultimately cost them a few pennies less in the short term, but millions more in the long term.

Missed opportunity.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
Any hope for the rest of us without that specific keyboard?

Hungry for updates! I want to know if my Playstation Classic will end up in my setup, or in the drawer

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am i the only person who thinks they should have, and easily could have, given us the PlayStation Classic in the form of a Vita TV in a special playstation classic shell, with these 20 games pre-loaded, but also the ability to pop into PSN and buy more PS1 games. Heck they could have left in the PSP and Vita compatibility and it would have flown off store shelves. All it needed was a shell that looked like a classic PSX and the classic controller.

Instead they probably spend a few hundred thousand designing this piece of garbage that ultimately cost them a few pennies less in the short term, but millions more in the long term.

Missed opportunity.

If they didn't have any more spares Vita boards it could be an expensive bitch to reprint those (or maybe just not possible) with outdated components.