• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
of course they didn't, because it's pretty much obvious that they had little to do with the whole project. this was likely outsourced, and is like an officially licensed bootleg product.
Yep, the addition of this menu left intact reeks of off the shelf port job.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Would you like it if I said they were overcharging for it instead? Cause they're charging for a high end toy and what you get, as a consumer, is a novelty that doesn't work as well as it should.
this is a high end toy
img01_02.jpg

and anything that costs less than 100 USD is a bargain.

Also, it's not fair to compare NES/SNES mini price with PS Classic, since majority games on PSC from third-party publishers. In addition, licenses for those games cost more than for games from 8bit/16bit era.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
The fact the menu is seemingly only accessible via the Corsair K70 makes me wonder whether that keyboard is actually sending something other than just escape when the key is pressed.

I don't think there is any blacklisting of USB keyboards going on. The two I have tried are not able to access the menu by pressing escape, but their sleep buttons turn the system off and the pause/play button activates the reset option.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Anyone checked this out? Got me interested in making my own (albeit with a slightly nicer cover)

Oct 27, 2017
Mine came before I could cancel. Read this update about the keyboards and almost considered keeping it until I read it needs a specific keyboard.

Nope, it's goin' back.

Oct 29, 2017
Makes sense that this would work. It's just an un-modified, off the shelf home brew emulator that normally has this menu accessible by pressing Esc on a keyboard (which is probably what prompted people to try it).

Just goes to show how little effort Sony put into this thing that they didn't even bother to turn off the button mapping for the menu or disable keyboard support. It's one of those rare cases where the term "lazy devs" actually does apply!

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone checked this out? Got me interested in making my own (albeit with a slightly nicer cover)

I mean it's just a raspberry pi with unmodified open-source PCSX and some iso found on the internet. Building it yourself will cost you much less and you'll have much better games to put in it. It's probably not too difficult.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Only works with Corsair keyboards? LOL! How many of you are running out to buy a new keyboard?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamekult just tried to enable the framerate settings and such, and the result is like this:
- most of the settings don't work, including the NTSC one
- games still run like trash with everything on
- scanlines do work though
- you can potentially plug in a compatible mouse to play Rainbow Six with (but why would anyone do that)
- they used a Corsair Raptor K50 keyboard to work it with

https://www.gamekult.com/actualite/la-playstation-classic-n-echap-pas-aux-failles-3050811913.html

Oct 25, 2017
and anything that costs less than 100 USD is a bargain.

Also, it's not fair to compare NES/SNES mini price with PS Classic, since majority games on PSC from third-party publishers. In addition, licenses for those games cost more than for games from 8bit/16bit era.
Well sorry for being poor and thinking 100 dollars is a lot for a toy.

Second of all, it's completely fair to compare the value you get with one product against the value you get with another in the exact same vein in this case. The licensing fees don't depend on whether or not a game is polygons or if a game is 16 bit.

But hey. Let's assume a majority of the third party games are there because SCE published them in Europe and thus are able to license them into the Classic for cheap. Why didn't they cram this thing with more first party titles they don't have to pay licenses for. Where's Medievil? Wipeout? Parappa?

Remember, this is completely ignoring the fact most of these games already in the PS Classic didn't run great on it's emulator to begin with.

This is strictly the value of the games, as you are fixated on. Did you know that Persona 1 is worth over 135 on the secondhand market? Surely that means the $99 is justified for that title alone.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Gamekult just tried to enable the framerate settings and such, and the result is like this:
- most of the settings don't work, including the NTSC one
- games still run like trash with everything on
- scanlines do work though
- you can potentially plug in a compatible mouse to play Rainbow Six with (but why would anyone do that)
- they used a Corsair Raptor K50 keyboard to work it with

https://www.gamekult.com/actualite/la-playstation-classic-n-echap-pas-aux-failles-3050811913.html

So, it doesn't matter. Dark1x, save yourself some money and don't buy a keyboard :P

This is the biggest disappointment I've had with a Playstation product ever. I sure hope the higher ups at Sony are unhappy about it.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am however interested in the credits menu, I'm pretty sure Sony outsourced this crap to a terrible hardware producer like AtGames or some shit like that.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Sony has never released such a botched product since they entered the videogames market. What the hell were they thinking... This is clearly the result of new executives being out of touch with Playstation's legacy and just want to cash in Christmas gifting period to get their bonuses next year for driving KPIs up.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
If they didn't have any more spares Vita boards it could be an expensive bitch to reprint those (or maybe just not possible) with outdated components.
Which is sad because PlayStation emulation on Vita is near perfect. Probably because it's partially native and not just emulation.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is laziest product from a big company in a while lol.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The fact the menu is seemingly only accessible via the Corsair K70 makes me wonder whether that keyboard is actually sending something other than just escape when the key is pressed.

I don't think there is any blacklisting of USB keyboards going on. The two I have tried are not able to access the menu by pressing escape, but their sleep buttons turn the system off and the pause/play button activates the reset option.
That's actually interesting. So someone with the Corsair should do something like "xev" on a Linux to see what the escape key actually does on that keyboard and what it sends to the OS.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
There's a few things that just don't.... Don't make sense to me at all. Why do only certain keyboards work? Keyboards are pretty universal at this point. And if you could just change the pal games to ntsc why didn't they just say that and save themselves the backlash?? I don't get it.

I have a Corsair K95 Platinum, wonder if that would work or it's locked down to the K75 for whatever reason.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
There's a few things that just don't.... Don't make sense to me at all. Why do only certain keyboards work? Keyboards are pretty universal at this point. And if you could just change the pal games to ntsc why didn't they just say that and save themselves the backlash?? I don't get it.

Because PAL games won't magically turn into NTSC games when you turn on the NTSC option. Usually all that option does is force PAL games to run at 60 Hz which can have various results. Some games will run fine but others will have graphical errors and glitches or might even be not playable at all. Also it looks like the NTSC option does nothing in this case.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Well the toggle doesn't actually make it run better anyways, so there was no real value in that one.
I missed that detail, so they specifically chose the pal games just because they couldn't do a stable 60fps then huh?

Because PAL games won't magically turn into NTSC games when you turn on the NTSC option. Usually all that option does is force PAL games to run at 60 Hz which can have various results. Some games will run fine but others will have graphical errors and glitches or might even be not playable at all. Also it looks like the NTSC option does nothing in this case.
Yeah no that's my bad, I misinterpreted it as the NTSC roms already being on the machine.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Detailed thread (in French, that I'll translate) about what is happening with this mess:
https://twitter.com/Zetsuboushitta/status/1069924696647454722
Essentially:
- The system is running on Android using YOCTO
- The emulator is indeed PCSX-reArmed slightly modified but on a very old base, very badly optimized and badly implemented likely due to a lack of time
- Debug mode wasn't removed meaning that you can access it with K75 type Corsair keyboards or different types of Logitech keyboards
- The "60Hz" mode of the debug settings are just interpolating 50hz into 60hz by duplicating frames. aka it's still trash and isn't close to the original experience
- It seems easy to connect the console to a PC and load PC HUBs in it but as of now not to change the games themselves
- Hacking potential seems limited and overall pointless

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the K75 outputs when you press ESC that triggers the menu.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Detailed thread (in French, that I'll translate) about what is happening with this mess:
Essentially:
- The emulator is indeed PCSX-reArmed slightly modified but on a very old base, very badly optimized and badly implemented likely due to a lack of time
- Debug mode wasn't removed meaning that you can access it with K75 type Corsair keyboards or different types of Logitech keyboards
- The "60Hz" mode of the debug settings are just interpolating 50hz into 60hz by duplicating frames. aka it's still trash and isn't close to the original experience
- It seems easy to connect the console to a PC and load PC HUBs in it but as of now not to change the games themselves

Damn, what a bad product. I hope for a price drop soon.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Essentially:

Those two points don't go well together imo.

A newer, better optimized emulator core could help this thing.

Shame about the ntsc/pal switch doing nothing though...sigh...it didn't make sense to me anyway lol. Can't wait to switch those isos.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Essentially:

What a mess.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This suggests last minute cut features. Also the fact that you can select NTSC games but they don't run well backs up what people have said before which is that release standard emulation is not that easy, and Sony aren't particularly good at emulation anyway. I reckon that's why PS2onPS4 stopped too.

To be honest Sony's incompetence at emulation puts me off ever getting a Sony Console again. I can't see that they'll ever get their shit in order when it comes to BC.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
To be honest I'd recommend everyone to just setup a Raspberry Pi for this instead of wasting like 100$ on this junk.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
This suggests last minute cut features. Also the fact that you can select NTSC games but they don't run well backs up what people have said before which is that release standard emulation is not that easy, and Sony aren't particularly good at emulation anyway. I reckon that's why PS2onPS4 stopped too.

To be honest Sony's incompetence at emulation puts me off ever getting a Sony Console again. I can't see that they'll ever get their shit in order when it comes to BC.
Vita has amazing PS1 emulation. It's the PS2 emulation thats been more difficult. Has Nintendo emulated Gamecube?