• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
"Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-slows-down-older-iphone-battery-issues/#ftag=CAD-09-10aai5b

Slow me down if old news.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Oh wow they actually owned up to it. I guess what they mean kinda works but it still reeks of "We want you to buy the latest phone".

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
Well they succeeded in ensuring I never purchase an apple product again and to actively tell my friends not to either.

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
Ugh. So either I buy a phone that will be deliberately slowed down or a phone that's trying its best to spy on me :|.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
Do even the newer phones throttle the CPU when battery gets low?

Secondly, is there an option on iPhone for super battery saver where you can slow your CPU intentionally for extra battery hours or is it a "feature".

Seems weird to get a device and at 59% battery the phone downgrades itself without sayin anything.

So its an iPhone 8 aslong as you have 100% battery.

Oct 28, 2017
It's awfully convenient that these "battery optimization updates" that slow down people's phones seem to come around whenever there's another $1000 phone available on the market. It's also funny how my Android phones from 3-5 years ago seem to run the latest operating system just fine.

You know what could fix all of this battery talk assuming it isn't complete horse shit (it is)? A removable battery.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The shit they get away with, lol. I'm sure all the apple fans will think of it as a smart innovative feature.

Viera

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
For what it's worth I'm now using an iPhone 4S that was barely used and haven't noticed a difference in speed

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can sort of see the logic in it in some ways, but holy shit at the stupidity of making a call like this and deciding it shouldn't be made public until they got caught.

Whomever made that call should be fired. So fired. This looks incredibly bad. They will get sued, and they'll lose too. What was anyone involved thinking?

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
What's their excuse for not having that as an option that can be toggled by the user ?

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
There was a thread a month ago about this, and so many people were so adamant this wasn't the case, showing some benchmarks as proof. Apparently it is, and it is pretty obvious if you own those phones and visibly see them get slower and slower for little gain. Not sure Apple's explanation is good enough to comfort anyone, but maybe it is all true and actually a "feature".

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
That's why i don't update my iOS

Last edited:

WhisperOfMalice

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I went with this exact issue to an apple store and they told me it was an issue with the logic board. They replaced my 6S with a brand new one.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
If this was the true reason, make it optional. My iPhone 6 still has amazing battery, but is slow as hell and sometimes unusable for 5-10 seconds. I would sacrifice 40% of my battery capacity for it to go back to how it used to be, happily.

When is the battery considered old and worn out? Two years after purchase?

Exactly lol. It happens when they decide it's upgrade time.

WhisperOfMalice

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
When is the battery considered old and worn out? Two years after purchase?
My phone got throttled when my battery was at 82% worn out. Which is nearly 2 years of usage. I went to an apple store with this issue and they told me it was an issue with the logic board and they replaced mine for free with a brand new one since it was still under warranty

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
All my friends with iPhones talk about their phones barely lasting a few hours when it's really cold out like it's normal, just like casually giving each other tips on ways to get around it

MrCow

Oct 30, 2017
so how do they know when your phone is old? lets say they release a patch, each time when the new phone hits, it slows your current phone to save your battery.
now this would only work i always buy the iphone on release and then when the new phone hits mine will be old. if i just randomly buy an older version (but in a new condition) at the time the newest iphone hits they will effectively slow my new (old) phone to save my battery which isn't even old yet?

WhisperOfMalice

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
so how do they know when your phone is old? lets say they release a patch, each time when the new phone hits, it slows your current phone to save your battery.
now this would only work i always buy the iphone on release and then when the new phone hits mine will be old. if i just randomly buy an older version (but in a new condition) at the time the newest iphone hits they will effectively slow my new (old) phone to save my battery which isn't even old yet?
They know it by the % how much your battery is worn out. My brand new 6S isn't throttled because the battery is new. Replacing your battery with a new one has the same effect.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
So glad I switched out from Apple.

I always thought they got slower just due to new features, but now they admit they do it intentionally regardless of features and it just annoys me. Give people the option. Don't just shove everyone onto a new phone.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers when we turn your old phone into a 900 dollar paperweight.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Spent years on MacRumors and everyone who believed this was always called crazy. So it's nice to have some confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.