• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
23% over the previous pro is incremental? Incremental over a MBP maybe but thats not apples to apples.

although I don't think Apple pushed the ML part that hard for the ipad - they just talked about AI generally a lot so more a scene setter for WWDC maybe

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
So how fast is the screen on the ipad air and the new pro? Didn't see that info anywhere sorry.

60 Hz for the Air
120 Hz / ProMotion for the iPad Pro (might be 240 Hz even)

AND if the rumors pan out for the 2028 OLED in the Air that will still only run at 60 Hz then as well. Looks like the upped speeds and ProMotion are staying
"Pro" features across the board for the forseeable future.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
60 Hz for the Air

AND if the rumors pan out for the 2028 OLED in the Air that will still only run at 60 Hz then as well. Looks like the upped speeds and ProMotion are staying
thanks for the info on that. I thought that would be the case but wanted to make sure.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
60 Hz for the Air

Imagining my iPad burning a hole into the earth's core playing Genshin Impact at 240hz

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any experience with the Pixel Tablet? Thinking about jumping from a 6th gen mini to that. Was hoping for a refresh of the bigger(10inch) iPad so I can jump into something slightly bigger but don't want an Air or Pro.

Genocyber

Jan 31, 2018
Anyone with a larger size iPad, do you find it too large while using and holding?

Thinking about the 13" iPad but I'm worried that it will be too big for everyday usage. Portability isn't a concern as I will be using a MacBook Air while travelling.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with a larger size iPad, do you find it too large while using and holding?

Thinking about the 13" iPad but I'm worried that it will be too big for everyday usage. Portability isn't a concern as I will be using a MacBook Air while travelling.
Yes. My wife has a 2020 12.9 and the size of that damn thing made me stick with 11" despite missing out on mini LED in 2021.

If I get a 13" pro it will be for at home and I'd end up getting a mini 7 eventually for more portable convenience.

Oct 27, 2017

Not really but after a while one handing a 12.9 pro, yea but it's size and screen(m2) outweighs, no pun intended, the weight. But this new one weighs a bit less so take that into consideration as well. I love the screen, really considering trading in an upgrading for that oled, form factor, landscape camera and decreased weight. I came from an air, and I keep a mini for if I feel like reading with one hand.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any experience with the Pixel Tablet? Thinking about jumping from a 6th gen mini to that. Was hoping for a refresh of the bigger(10inch) iPad so I can jump into something slightly bigger but don't want an Air or Pro.

As a tablet it's alright, but it's no iPad imo - and I'm someone that considers a Pixel 8 to be right on par with an iPhone. iPad just feels better as a tablet experience.

More frustratingly, I bought a Pixel Tablet for the home as Google kind of positioned as something that also behaves like a Google Assistant Nest Hub when it's docked, and it kind of does, but it forces voice recognition to be on and is way less great at discerning commands than any Google Home Nest speaker.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
As a tablet it's alright, but it's no iPad imo - and I'm someone that considers a Pixel 8 to be right on par with an iPhone. iPad just feels better as a tablet experience.

More frustratingly, I bought a Pixel Tablet for the home as Google kind of positioned as something that also behaves like a Google Assistant Nest Hub when it's docked, and it kind of does, but it forces voice recognition to be on and is way less great at discerning commands than any Google Home Nest speaker.
That's frustrating. I have no interest in the google hub as I'm an Apple person, but when they released that thing I was like "fuck, this is EXACTLY what I've been wanting the iPad to be able to do".

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Not really but after a while one handing a 12.9 pro, yea but it's size and screen(m2) outweighs, no pun intended, the weight. But this new one weighs a bit less so take that into consideration as well. I love the screen, really considering trading in an upgrading for that oled, form factor, landscape camera and decreased weight. I came from an air, and I keep a mini for if I feel like reading with one hand.
I find the weight deceiving because of the leverage involved if you're holding the device from one side. Makes the 12.9 feel notably more awkward/fatiguing than the 11" in my experience.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017

I was considering getting ESR's Rebound Magnetic case, which looks similar and is a fraction of the price. There's also a flap to cleanly secure a pencil which seems reassuring to have, but I don't know how strong the magnets for the pencil are when attached. Maybe it's a non-issue. Just wondering, am I missing something about Apple's folio case with regards to price? Or is it just the first party aspect?

Last edited:

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I was considering getting ESR's Rebound Magnetic case, which looks similar and is a fraction of the price. There's also a flap to cleanly secure a pencil and it's a fraction of the price… Am I missing something about Apple's folio case? Or is it just the first party aspect?

That looks cool thanks for the tip. There is a first party aspect, but the added viewing angles with magnetic stops sounds amazing both functionality wise but also for just playing around snapping it in different positions 😂

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

They're alright if you want a Google home device. For me, it just works as a bedside tablet.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

its a 'rester' IMO - you can hold but it really benefits from one edge resting on a leg or something. Not difficult to hold, but difficult to hold and also interact with because then you're only holding with one hand.

Its been my main device since the 2018 pro though and never really been an issue for me at least

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Do you guys recommend the iPad Air or the regular iPad for someone who is looking to mainly use it to browse the web, watch movies/tv and maybe start to explore drawing?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys recommend the iPad Air or the regular iPad for someone who is looking to mainly use it to browse the web, watch movies/tv and maybe start to explore drawing?

Air for the majority. Unless you really want an OLED screen and/or 120Hz screen and are willing to pay the premium

I went pro. It'll last me 5 years like the current one so I'm ok with that

BoondockRiley

Nov 15, 2017

Hmm potential game changer for me here. I used the Ztotop case from Amazon for my 2018 Pro and functionally it was great, although is battered to shit by now. But after 6 years hard use I can't ask for too much more. I haven't seen they've made one for the M4 Pro yet but this might fulfill that need if there's more angles that make it better for drawing. Just sucks about the apple tax with these products :/

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, the new Logitech keyboard for the M4 iPad Pro is backwards compatible with older iPad Pros. That must mean the smart connector pins are in a similar place? I wonder if it will just work with the old keyboard, but a little janky.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, the new Logitech keyboard for the M4 iPad Pro is backwards compatible with older iPad Pros. That must mean the smart connector pins are in a similar place? I wonder if it will just work with the old keyboard, but a little janky.

2018 keyboard wasnt listed as compatible with the 2020 M1 refresh, because it was like 0.5mm thicker or something. Then I think it was changed to compatible* (*your mileage may vary not officially supported) and I've been using it just fine. So you're right it may be that it works ok with positioning just be thinner leaving gaps in the case?

Bigger issue might be the hinge. Tobor I think mentioned Apple saying they could push the cantilever back (to allow room for larger trackpad and function keys) because its now lighter. So using the M4 on an old keyboard might ok (its lighter, the keyboard won't care, just be a little more front heavy but the keyboard lip will counter that) but using the new keyboard with the older ipad may not work as it may tip over backwards?

I'll have a play when mine comes. I've ordered the new keyboard and I still have my 2020 12.9" pro until they send a trade in kit, so I'll be able to play with both ipads on both keyboards.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2018 keyboard wasnt listed as compatible with the 2020 M1 refresh, because it was like 0.5mm thicker or something. Then I think it was changed to compatible* (*your mileage may vary not officially supported) and I've been using it just fine. So you're right it may be that it works ok with positioning just be thinner leaving gaps in the case?

Bigger issue might be the hinge. Tobor I think mentioned Apple saying they could push the cantilever back (to allow room for larger trackpad and function keys) because its now lighter. So using the M4 on an old keyboard might ok (its lighter, the keyboard won't care, just be a little more front heavy but the keyboard lip will counter that) but using the new keyboard with the older ipad may not work as it may tip over backwards?

I'll have a play when mine comes. I've ordered the new keyboard and I still have my 2020 12.9" pro until they send a trade in kit, so I'll be able to play with both ipads on both keyboards.

Nice, yeah, let me know! If it works, I'll probably upgrade mine. Everytime I do it, the keyboard at £350 just puts me in "oh fuck off" mode, considering this thing is not much joy to type on compared to even laptop keyboards! But it does the job of being a sturdy stand with no kickstands like the Logitech and others.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, yeah, let me know! If it works, I'll probably upgrade mine. Everytime I do it, the keyboard at £350 just puts me in "oh fuck off" mode, considering this thing is not much joy to type on compared to even laptop keyboards! But it does the job of being a sturdy stand with no kickstands like the Logitech and others.

apple pricing generally is ludicrous. Just checked and a regular bluetooth magic keyboard is £150. Trackpad is also £150 (jesus) so £350 if you want an Apple branded external keyboard and trackpad. Mine has lasted me I think a solid 6 years and this new one will do the same so it'll hurt initially but it'll get used.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
apple pricing generally is ludicrous. Just checked and a regular bluetooth magic keyboard is £150. Trackpad is also £150 (jesus) so £350 if you want an Apple branded external keyboard and trackpad. Mine has lasted me I think a solid 6 years and this new one will do the same so it'll hurt initially but it'll get used.

That's the thing, I'm already on my second iPad magic keyboard. Got the first one at launch and the adhesive on the keys eventually came off. Luckily I got the slightly newer redesign for only £120 very soon after they came out.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
www.macrumors.com

13-Inch iPad Air Features 20% Brighter Display Than 11-Inch iPad Air

The new 13-inch iPad Air has a max display brightness of 600 nits, which is 20% higher than the 11-inch iPad Air, according to Apple's tech specs...

Peak brightness levels (SDR) for recent iPad Pro and iPad Air models:

• 13-inch iPad Pro (M4): 1,000 nits
  • 11-inch iPad Pro (M4): 1,000 nits
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro (M2): 600 nits
  • 11-inch iPad Pro (M2): 600 nits
  • 13-inch iPad Air: 600 nits
  • 11-inch iPad Air (M2): 500 nits
  • 10.9-inch iPad Air (M1): 500 nits

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
I might be late to this, but all the advertising with the iPod nano got me excited thinking they were releasing a new one. Super bummed.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
9to5mac.com

Apple apologizes for controversial iPad Pro ad, scraps plans for TV campaign - 9to5Mac

Alongside the new ultra-thin iPad Pro this week, Apple debuted a new “Crush!” ad to promote the new hardware. The...
I thought it was the iPad equivalent of this, intent-wise

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw9ZJ071P-o

Probably not the best time for it though with tech giants trying to phase artists out of existence. Probably a little telling that I can still recall that commercial at all because it was kinda fucked up

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a lot of difficulty choosing between the 11" and the 13" Pro. On one hand, when I used the 13" Pro in person last, it felt too uncomfortable in a tablet form factor. On the other hand, first impressions keep repeating that the reduced weight and slimmer form factor make the new 13" Pro much more tolerable to use.

Does anyone know when Apple typically has demo units out for their products? I probably won't be able to decide until trying it for myself.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a lot of difficulty choosing between the 11" and the 13" Pro. On one hand, when I used the 13" Pro in person last, it felt too uncomfortable in a tablet form factor. On the other hand, first impressions keep repeating that the reduced weight and slimmer form factor make the new 13" Pro much more tolerable to use.

Does anyone know when Apple typically has demo units out for their products? I probably won't be able to decide until trying it for myself.

usually day of release tbh. I am in the same boat as you.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter just pointed out she has an education discount but I'd already ordered. Used it as an excuse to order the new 10th gen for my wife (her ipad 8 32GB struggles with memory all the time and could do with a refresh - £200 with the discount and trade-in is pretty good). CS said if I wait for the pro to be delivered then call, they should be able to apply a retrospective discount, to avoid having to return it. Would save about £120 including the keyboard

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
So my friend had a 13" with Magic Keyboard and I tried it and the first thing I thought was so much more room for activities. Ended up pulling the trigger on a 13 with the new keyboard. My 11" Magic Keyboard is in a condition that could be described as "well loved" and I didn't think it would make it another year. Plus I can hold off the MBP upgrade another year since I won't be traveling until late next year.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017

I'm now having the same dilemma. Getting the 13" would be a nicer experience for my workflow keeping multiple windows open in comparison to my current 11" M1 Pro. The main appeal of the new machines for me is the OLED display: they are my primary consumption devices, and it would be great to have a 13" screen to watch movies and TV on. However, because of the 4:3 aspect ratio, the actual image size in 16:9 doesn't seem enormous between both devices when comparing my 11" and my wife's A12Z 13".

So I sit here considering my options. The larger size is significantly more expensive, and then I worry about bending the damn thing if I take it on my travels. There's the potential I'd end up with this 13" Pro and a mini 7 for travel when it launches, and have two perfect devices for 2 separate use cases… or I can split the difference, get the jack of all trades, master of none 11", but keep more money in my pocket… but at that point I'll have to go through the process of selling my M1 to replace it with a similar machine lol. Decisions, decisions.

The new 13" seems nice, and losing a quarter of a pound or however much it is, is quite nice. That said, my wife has been using her 13" for 4 years and has never used it the way you might use a mini or 11". It has always either been on a desk or her lap for drawing, on the Magic Keyboard for the 90% of laptop workflow it's able to do for her, or on a pillow on the couch / bed so she can watch shows or youtube. If your primary usage for a tablet is using it while standing or walking around, etc., I'd suggest forgetting about a 13".

On another note, I was quite surprised that Apple mentioned in the presentation that 11" and 13" sales are fairly evenly split. I thought the huge SOB would be significantly more popular than the smaller one, particularly thanks to the Mini LED.