• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/18/...-new-ipad-pro-price-release-date-availability

Both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch sizes look identical to last year's models, but there's a new processor and new camera system inside them both. Apple's headline feature is that it has a LIDAR scanner to go along with its camera for depth sensing and AR, but what most people are going to notice is that very new keyboard that you can get with it.

The keyboard unfolds and elevates the iPad to a more comfortable viewing position, as you can see above. It also has a trackpad on it. Apple says, "Rather than copying the experience from macOS®, trackpad support has been completely reimagined for iPad. As users move their finger across the trackpad, the pointer elegantly transforms to highlight user interface elements." You can see very brief examples of it in use in the video below.

Apple is calling it a "Magic Keyboard," matching the branding it recently used on the redesigned and improved MacBook keyboard. It is backlit, supports USB-C passthrough charging, and has a "smooth angle adjustment." Unfortunately, it won't be available until May, but it will be compatible with last year's iPad Pros as well. And speaking of "unfortunately," it will cost a whopping $299 for the 11-inch model and $349 for the 12.9-inch version.

49672847972_8c55b03996_o.png

49672023263_332fb3b2e4_o.png

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Looks great, my next computer might actually be an iPad if they sort out a code editor and terminal.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, seems like they're announcing the products that were rumored to be announced on March 31 early (and spread out?). Now announce the iPhone SE2 / 9 next, please!

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Still no mini-LED. Please free us from gray black levels on iPads and MacBooks. At least that LIDAR scanner finally makes an appearance.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
They have also updated the MacBook Air...if any one is interested.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want that keyboard, but not $349 want. Glad it's compatible with my 2018 Pro though - definitely not feeling a need to upgrade it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I want that keyboard, but not $349 want. Glad it's compatible with my 2018 Pro though - definitely not feeling a need to upgrade it.
Yeah I wouldn't if I had a 2018. I have a first gen tho and Procreate is doing a number on my battery life. I want the not insanely dumb charging Apple Pencil too.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Yes, and it sounds terrific. Scissor-switch keyboard returns, now up to 256G base storage, now features Intel Iris Plus Graphics, starting price of $999.
I've been wanting a Mac again for a while. Kinda tempted now they finally have quad core option on it.

Is 8GB ram fine on Mac OS?? I was thinking upgrading it to 16GB.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The new keyboard is compatible with the previous gen iPad Pro btw

I've been saying I want a new iPad Pro for so long now, and that I'd immediately buy it but why/what the fuck is an A12Z. I need the details. I just assumed it would be an A13X like they've done in the past.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to charge that much for a keyboard there needs to at least be some guarantee of forward compatibility.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting a Mac again for a while. Kinda tempted now they finally have quad core option on it.

8GB is fine today, but if you want to hang onto it for 5+ years I think 16GB makes more sense. And I'd upgrade the i3 to an i5 as well.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Jesus Christ at that keyboard price. And I thought $100 for a basic magic keyboard was insane. I guess that means mouse support isn't getting improved. Bummer.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I bit the bullet in 2013 on my MacBook Air to get 8GB then, and it's still a great machine to this day.

8GB is fine for now, but if you want something that lasts you seven years, you want to pump up that RAM.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Yay, the keyboard is compatible with last years model! But man, that price... Not sure I can justify that...

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Why is everyone so excited about a touchpad? Did they announce any major improvements in touchpad+keyboard control in iPad OS, too?