• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the trackpad update with a Magic Trackpad tonight and it really is slick. I don't think I can justify the cost of that keyboard since I already have a smart keyboard, but proper mouse support is nice!

edit: Moving icons quickly around the homescreen is especially awesome. It's way snappier than you'd expect it to be. It's like the iPad appears to run/navigate faster than it does with touch.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not gonna lie, the ads on this are kinda getting me, as someone who just transitioned maining an iPad Pro as my primary computer since December. Personally, it does everything I personally want out of a really flexible form factor and I enjoy that it shares app compatibility with my phone.

The keyboard is the best part of this reveal — the trackpad, the hovering lift hinge, the USB-C passthrough charging, and the scissor-switch backlit keyboard? Woo! And it works on my current iPad that's just barely 3 months old? Woo!

The only regret I have about my iPad purchase at all is settling for WiFi-only model. I should've gotten LTE model and paid extra on my T-Mobile plan to get it a connection and SIM card. Trade-in isn't generous enough for me to bite so soon on a whole new iPad, but that keyboard... I think I will have to make it mine, assuming the old style camera bump from my 2018 model doesn't look super weird in the new iPhone 11-esque camera space. I might just fill the empty space in with a fun sticker or something.

The keyboard's design and features seem to just about round out a lot of my small interfacing gripes with the iPad Pro as a daily machine — it's truly one of my favorite Apple designs in a while, knowing now that I can get by with an iPad Pro as my main personal computer. Unlike my Logitech one that I currently have, it has the smart connector so no need to charge the keyboard itself separately; it's more compact; the iPad itself can be removed from the keyboard/case much more easily if I need to use it in pure tablet mode; the typing experience will probably be better than these decent but kinda squishy Logitech keys; trackpad support brings the last interfacing issue I have with iPad — operating via touchscreen is fine for the most part but there are times where I wish I could just use a trackpad instead and now I can have it, all in one seamless enclosure. :)

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody tried the new cursor features with a Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad previous generations? I can't get gestures or scroll to work on 13.4 GM.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very nice but the prices (especially of the keyboard) and my personal use cases make it difficult to purchase one. Still rather just get a nice Macbook (Pro) instead because I am not certain everything can be done by the Ipad.

Until recently, I did not have any use case at all for an Ipad until I had to study again and got the cheapest one with a pen. Have to say the note taking experience is just awesome and my wife loves to use it as a media consumption device.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Keyboard looks great and happy it supports my pro, now I just need to convince myself that the price isn't actually ridiculous and I should get it

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
I' guessing that the better mouse support also works for Bluetooth Mices? Because I have an Ipad 6th Gen and that one doesn't have a smart connector.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
That ad was fantastic. I use my iPad with Smart Keyboard as my main device so I could see myself upgrading but price remains the biggest concern.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I' guessing that the better mouse support also works for Bluetooth Mices? Because I have an Ipad 6th Gen and that one doesn't have a smart connector.

I installed 13.4 RC on my iPad and let me tell you... it is not a great experience with a regular mouse unless you're OK with how mice work in OS X out of the box. The mouse acceleration feels bad (I can get used to this though) but the real killer is that the scroll wheel has some sort of acceleration built in so that it moves literally 2 pixels per click and you need to constantly spin it very fast to move the screen. Also, you can't customize any extra buttons without turning on Assistive Touch (the floating virtual home button) for some reason.

And since you don't have gestures, it takes much longer to do things like switch apps or get into the multitasking menu.

Last edited:

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I'm assuming this keyboard doesn't work with a case on the iPad which makes it practically useless for me.

I'm assuming a third party will sell a separated keyboard and trackpad for a fraction of the cost though.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Question: Will this new Smart Keyboard have a Canvas/Studio Mode for people who sketch, or is it just the same two orientations as the previous generation?

As someone who draws constantly on their 10.5" iPad Pro, Studio Mode orientation is a must for me.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming this keyboard doesn't work with a case on the iPad which makes it practically useless for me.

I'm assuming a third party will sell a separated keyboard and trackpad for a fraction of the cost though.

the keyboard is case, unless you want it to weigh 10 pounds

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

The magic keyboard is the case. Same as the current smart keyboard folio.

I've used the smart keyboard for a while now and its more than adequate protection for me, but to each their own.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna have to bite on this. I've had the first-gen iPad Pro since day one. It's showing it's age and Procreate sucks the life out of its aging battery. I can also leave behind the monumentally stupid pencil charging of the first design. To this day I'm amazed that's how they decided to do it.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
The 6gb of RAM was the clincher for me. I'm looking for a case for the 12.9 inch one. Amazon has kind of a limited selection right now, anyone had a good experiences with cases as of late? I don't mind paying a little more for something that is protective while not being too bulky. My normal choice:

https://www.zugucase.com/

Doesn't have anything available for shipping, and this one from Amazon seems a bit sketchy:

https://www.amazon.com/ZtotopCase-L...ipad+2020+pro+12.9+case&qid=1584624765&sr=8-5

But the other cases made by them seems to have decent/average reviews even if most are fake. Appreciate any advice.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If I've never used the camera on my 2018 Pro, but I like the new keyboard, is there any reason to not just keep my iPad but upgrade my keyboard since it's compatible? Is there anything noticeably different on the new iPad besides the camera?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I've never used the camera on my 2018 Pro, but I like the new keyboard, is there any reason to not just keep my iPad but upgrade my keyboard since it's compatible? Is there anything noticeably different on the new iPad besides the camera?
It will be a bit faster though they haven't given us the specs yet. But I don't think there's anything that significant.

Jacklw25

Apr 14, 2018
Am I being picky if I say I wish they brought out two versions of the Magic Keyboard so the camera bump space fits my 2018 model better?

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I'd gladly wait until they get the Micro-LED technology into these screens.

I have, so far, managed to buy a new iPad every three years, and it has worked out really well for me!

• OG iPad (2010)
  • 1st gen iPad Air with Retina + Lightning (2013)
  • 1st gen iPad Pro 9.7-inch (2016)
  • 1st gen iPad Pro 11-inch (2019)

I am super happy to wait until 2022 for my next BIG iPad upgrade. I really love my iPad Pro!

Am I being picky if I say I wish they brought out two versions of the Magic Keyboard so the camera bump space fits my 2018 model better?

Picky? More like you're being too picky!

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing here that seems worth upgrading from my 2018 model, but hot damn I'm in for that magic keyboard.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This iPad is so incremental I'm now wondering if I should continue waiting... I was going to upgrade asap since I had lots of travel plans, but now that those are cancelled there's not much rush.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently another new iPad Pro is on track for later this year... https://www.macrumors.com/2020/03/20/apple-to-launch-ipad-pro-mini-led-late-2020/

Really think I might just continue waiting for that one.

I wonder how much that one will cost and if it would be tied to 5G, a new processor and that 12.9 screen size. A top end price increase would push it into costing more than a MacBook. I know mini-LED will probably become the standard for a while going forward, but is it really worth waiting and paying the premium over OLED on its own?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much that one will cost and if it would be tied to 5G, a new processor and that 12.9 screen size. I know mini-LED will probably become the standard for a while going forward, but is it really worth waiting and paying the premium over OLED on its own?
The rumor describes it as being "high-end" so I'm guessing it might be $200 more than the current iteration. Or something like that.

Whether I wait or not depends on my need for an upgrade right now, and right now my need is low with no travel.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I keep attempting to use an iPad for daily use, but I always return to my MacBook. Maybe this will finally replace it?

Depends on what your daily use is. So many people have abandoned regular computers for iPads because the iPads does everything they need better. If that hasn't happened with you yet, I dont see it happening now.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Verizon opened up orders and so I placed mine. Got the 11" 128gb LTE+WiFi, arriving Thursday. Should be all I need out of an iPad for a while since I don't do any high end work on tablets.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews seem as expected. A nice iterative bump. I'm probably gonna get it as it'll be a really nice jump from my launch Pro. If the newer rumored Pro is something magical...maybe I would trade up. Doubt it tho.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I want the case but my iPad Pro keyboard case got a weird texture on it and went wrinkly, got it replaced and the same thing is happening to the new one. I doubt this one will be any different and it's not worth it for the money.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 6gb of RAM was the clincher for me. I'm looking for a case for the 12.9 inch one. Amazon has kind of a limited selection right now, anyone had a good experiences with cases as of late? I don't mind paying a little more for something that is protective while not being too bulky. My normal choice:

https://www.zugucase.com/

Doesn't have anything available for shipping, and this one from Amazon seems a bit sketchy:

https://www.amazon.com/ZtotopCase-L...ipad+2020+pro+12.9+case&qid=1584624765&sr=8-5

But the other cases made by them seems to have decent/average reviews even if most are fake. Appreciate any advice.

Bought one Ztotop case and it was the biggest piece of shit imaginable. The case did not fit well, especially around the buttons.
Some buttons couldn't be used, others were pressed accidentally by the case.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna jump on this one, but I will be jumping on a keyboard track pad case. Hopefully the flood gates open on 3rd party alternatives, because I'm loving mouse support on 13.4

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I keep attempting to use an iPad for daily use, but I always return to my MacBook. Maybe this will finally replace it?
Honest question: what limitations do you keep finding? I currently use a 2015 MacBook Pro for all my work and personal computing, but I really feel as though I could replace it with a 12.9" iPad Pro soon.

I'm a content writer / strategist who runs an online publication on the side, so I essentially use all the usual cloud services, Microsoft Office, and email for the core stuff, as well as the Affinity Suite (which I know has apps for Designer and Photo, but not Publisher) so I feel like 95% of the stuff I interact with daily could be done on an iPad.

My biggest question is external monitor support. I remember looking into this about a year ago, and there wasn't much to see: just straight screen mirroring. Does the new version of iPad OS open any doors to having one app running on the iPad screen and another on an external monitor?

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Bought one Ztotop case and it was the biggest piece of shit imaginable. The case did not fit well, especially around the buttons.
Some buttons couldn't be used, others were pressed accidentally by the case.

Welp, I went ahead and ordered it. I hope my experience is better, I pre-ordered the Zugu so I just need something to tide me over until around 4/30. If someone has better luck with another case let me know.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Apple does shit better, this is a much nicer executed version of the original surface vision. It's not about being first, it's about who does it best.
well no shit, anything released now would be better than the surface 1 released ~6 or 7 years ago, what kind of stupid ass argument is that?

and your right its not about being first with apple because they'll just pretend they invented it. with any number of the landry list of things they did like adding copy and paste to the iphone.

this thing still wont come close to being better than what MS is offering *now* but to each their own.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
well no shit, anything released now would be better than the surface 1 released ~6 or 7 years ago, what kind of stupid ass argument is that?

and your right its not about being first with apple because they'll just pretend they invented it. with any number of the landry list of things they did like adding copy and paste to the iphone.

this thing still wont come close to being better than what MS is offering *now* but to each their own.
Wow.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question: what limitations do you keep finding? I currently use a 2015 MacBook Pro for all my work and personal computing, but I really feel as though I could replace it with a 12.9" iPad Pro soon.

I'm a content writer / strategist who runs an online publication on the side, so I essentially use all the usual cloud services, Microsoft Office, and email for the core stuff, as well as the Affinity Suite (which I know has apps for Designer and Photo, but not Publisher) so I feel like 95% of the stuff I interact with daily could be done on an iPad.

My biggest question is external monitor support. I remember looking into this about a year ago, and there wasn't much to see: just straight screen mirroring. Does the new version of iPad OS open any doors to having one app running on the iPad screen and another on an external monitor?

It still mirrors the screen, but with real mouse support this could change eventually. Maybe with iOS 14, it'll finally happen. That's basically what I am waiting for as well.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Don't agree as the Surface is a PC laptop with some touch plastered on. iPad is an actual tablet with some computer-like add ons. The most comparable device MS makes is the Surface Pro X, and there's no competition between that and this.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Don't agree as the Surface is a PC laptop with some touch plastered on. iPad is an actual tablet with some computer-like add ons. The most comparable device MS makes is the Surface Pro X, and there's no competition between that and this.
You are correct, a Surface is a pretty different device. Apple tries to get into that territory now by adding the keyboard cover and mouse support. It still does not compete with it though, as it runs iOS.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
At what point do apple stick osx on one of these things. An iPad can't really replace the laptop until they put a fully functioning os on it

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
At what point do apple stick osx on one of these things. An iPad can't really replace the laptop until they put a fully functioning os on it

Yep -the easiest way would be if they use OSX as the base, and click an icon to go into iOS mode whenever you want to use it as an iPad.

The new keyboard is also too expensive imo.