• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I really wish I didn't cheap out and get the 64 GB 2018 Pro.

Thinking of maybe trying to do a swap for a 2018 256 GB 12.9" and getting this new keyboard.

The new keyboard will work with the 2018 12.9" and 11" iPad Pro.

I'm gonna try it. If the typing feel is good the usb c, backlight and cantilever might be worth it for me.

why not put headphone jack on keyboard Apple? 2.5mm (subset of 3.5) is smaller than usb c.

I mean it should be on the Pro...

TRACKPAD - mark my words - Apple is planning to merge OS X with iOS and go touchscreen on its now comical (lack of touch I mean) desktop and laptops.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna try it. If the typing feel is good the usb c, backlight and cantilever might be worth it for me.

why not put headphone jack on keyboard Apple? 2.5mm (subset of 3.5) is smaller than usb c.

I mean it should be on the Pro...
Getting rid of the headphone jack wasn't a compromise, it was a goal. Sadly.

Jaws

Oct 29, 2017
Be interesting to find out about the ram, really don't need 1tb of storage like the last gen

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting rid of the headphone jack wasn't a compromise, it was a goal. Sadly.
I know and the word "Pro" should have been removed alongside it. I LOVE my iPad Pro and I use it incessantly but I encounter issues with the lack of headphone jack daily and I'm a light Video/Audio user- what makes it all the more frustrating is that Apple still uses pointless proprietary methods so that android usb c adapters don't work so I have to carry two and you can't just use a headphone adapter you need a redundant usb c dongle AND headphone jack unless you want to give up charging. It's absurd and there's no mechanical reason a simple 2.5 (or frankly 3.5 ) port couldn't be included on the iPad or on this new keyboard.

it has the potential to be THE machine of choice for tons of AV professionals, hobbyists and other creatives but a stupid marketing decision hamstrings an essential industry standard.

I'm over it on phones. Fine, stupid but you win Apple. But for professionals in related industries the analog audio jack is here for at least another decade- maybe more and there's currently no equivalent wireless audio performance let alone Bluetooth which is anathema to current needs.

if a future iteration of BT or another standard can solve latency, fidelity, isolation, insulation, compatibility and power- then it could make an argument that it's equivalent -but still not superior- and that's years away. It's the only "perfect " unified standard around and there's a reason it's been that way for almost 150 years (75 if you wanna get persnickety on 3.5mm) .

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who LOVES their 2018 iPad Pro, that keyboard/the new trackpad support looks like it would solve a lot of my productivity issues. I wonder if any of this will allow the iPad to extend onto a second screen rather than just mirror, now that you could interact with a second screen using the trackpad. Definitely considering upgrading to the Magic Keyboard, even though that price is absolutely insane (once my wife gets her job back after CoVID, obviously).

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
The keyboard looks nice but the price is crazy (I'm not surprised). Won't be long until other companies start releasing their own keyboard cases with trackpads.

Love the shift the iPad has seen in recent years.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Need that keyboard ASAP, sucks that we have to wait till May

With this keyboard I can finally leave my 15" MacBook Pro at home for good

Nov 5, 2017
the side view profile of the new iPad Pro along with the new Magic Keyboard seems eerily similar to the iMac....

iMac-Side-View.jpg

Mcg2Xb4.png

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I didnt need to get my new 2018 pro back in feb otherwise I would have waited. Its too late to return and now I need to try to sell it if I want to upgrade to this, their trade in would only offer me $240 for my 256GB 13inch iPad pro which is barley over a month old.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked but is the new keyboard compatible with the 2018 iPad Pro?

It is

I wish I didnt need to get my new 2018 pro back in feb otherwise I would have waited. Its too late to return and now I need to try to sell it if I want to upgrade to this, their trade in would only offer me $240 for my 256GB 13inch iPad pro which is barley over a month old.

The difference isn't that extreme.. why are you upgrading it? Just because you bought it a month ago?

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
If I want to upgrade from a 2017 10.5 (I think?) Pro to a bigger model, is there any reason to get the 2019 12.9 model over the 2018 one? Do they even discount the prices on older models?

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an iPad Pro 10.5", but I think I'm going to upgrade to a used IPad Pro 11" 2018 and one of these magic keyboards. That keyboard looks amazing and it looks like a game changer.

All of this is based on how stable the new keyboard is on a lap and how the trackpad works in practice. Those are big ifs.

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When can I preorder the magic keyboard? I can find it in the apple store app, but it won't let me add to bag.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Going to wait this one out and grab the eventual MicroLED 12.9" as an upgrade to my 2018 11" iPad Pro. That keyboard looks ace AF.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Keyboard almost as expensive as the entry level iPad Air. I'll probably be looking at the Macbook Air. My 2015 Pro is starting to show its age and the pricing seems right this time.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I still have my 10.5 Pro, if these new Pros still have 4gb of ram I'll upgrade to a 12.9 2018, but I really hope they upgraded at least to 6gb

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What does usb-c pass through mean? Does it have to plug into the ipad usb-c port like the weird charging covers? I'd want it to be quick to connect/remove as it's too bulky otherwise to use when just lazily browsing

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Going to wait this one out and grab the eventual MicroLED 12.9" as an upgrade to my 2018 11" iPad Pro. That keyboard looks ace AF.
I think the rumored future product is MiniLED (a smaller grid of backlights with zoned dimming), not MicroLED (individually lit LEDs a la OLED), if it makes a difference to you.

Still, yeah, I think the best bets right now are the 2018 refurbs or waiting for that display upgrade/A14X chip.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What does usb-c pass through mean? Does it have to plug into the ipad usb-c port like the weird charging covers? I'd want it to be quick to connect/remove as it's too bulky otherwise to use when just lazily browsing

There's a USB port on the keyboard that you can plug into for power. The power goes through the smart connector which are magnetic pins on the back of the iPad (that's how the keyboard receives power FROM the iPad). This frees up the iPad's USB-C port for accessories.

Taking the keyboard on and off is super easy, just magnets.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
There's a USB port on the keyboard that you can plug into for power. The power goes through the smart connector which are magnetic pins on the back of the iPad (that's how the keyboard receives power FROM the iPad). This frees up the iPad's USB-C port for accessories.

Taking the keyboard on and off is super easy, just magnets.

'so you can charge the iPad while still using the iPads own port for accessories - effectively gives you two ports (as long as open is only used for charging)?

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I would've loved for that Logic tech keyboard to come in a 11 inch pro variety. Im assuming apple doesn't want any competition with their version just yet, which is dumb since they have plenty of 3rd party keyboards that sell alongside their version. $300 is a shit ton of money for a keyboard, but man Ive been waiting for this for my iPad Pro since the day I got it.