• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Apple doesn't actually have to port macOS over to iPad - just allow devs to compile code, run shell commands and give them access to lower level apis.

iPadOS has a ton of potential and I reckon it'll look very different in a few years. Its still finding it's footing now.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
As an illustrator, I find the Pro and Apple Pencil to be the slickest combo. Less lag than the best Wacom tablet, way better than Surface's pen. Procreate imports ABR files now so using PS brushes works and that's nice.

I just don't need certain things from it. Wish I could get a pared down version made for artists without some of the fluff. Don't need Lidar or fancy cameras. I need to upgrade tho. My first gen Pro is long in the tooth at this point.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
If I get that keyboard it will purely be because it looks so cool. I need to admit that to myself.

My hope is that Apple simply opens the doors to allow programming on the iPad. The OS is still too limited on that front.

Hopefully the push for mouse support will also improve the productivity apps.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Floating the screen up off the keyboard is such a brilliant design innovation I will be surprised if regular laptop manufacturers don't copy it.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If I get that keyboard it will purely be because it looks so cool. I need to admit that to myself.

My hope is that Apple simply opens the doors to allow programming on the iPad. The OS is still too limited on that front.

Hopefully the push for mouse support will also improve the productivity apps.

"Docker for iPad"

now that would be something lol

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm selling my iPad Pro 10.5 inch, and getting last year's iPad Pro 12.9 (with Face ID and the new pencil) to save a bit. The new magic keyboard with the touchpad will work on that one to right?

Would it be a mistake to just not get the newest model? it seems like the cpu in last years is still plenty good.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How would the networking component on Docker even work in a hypothetical iOS system? I don't think Apple surfaces nearly enough developer/user control over the networking components of it to make it happen. Then again I'm a docker newbie and I suspect I'm accidentally describing Docker Desktop and not the variant others have in mind.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm selling my iPad Pro 10.5 inch, and getting last year's iPad Pro 12.9 (with Face ID and the new pencil) to save a bit. The new magic keyboard with the touchpad will work on that one to right?

Would it be a mistake to just not get the newest model? it seems like the cpu in last years is still plenty good.

Only real difference is the new camera array. The new chip isn't that big a jump, mostly the same generation.

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Perfect. They new keyboard will have a version for the 2018 iPad too once it releases right?

This is supposed to work on the 2018 pro, but it won't let me "add to bag", which I guess means that I can't preorder it?

Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11‑inch (2nd generation) - US English

store.apple.com

Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11-inch (4th generation) and iPad Air (5th generation) - US English - Black

Magic Keyboard delivers an amazing typing experience, has a built-in trackpad, and provides front and back protection. Buy now at apple.com.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UPS tracking says out for delivery but I got an email saying it may be delayed due to unforeseen circumstance

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
How would the networking component on Docker even work in a hypothetical iOS system? I don't think Apple surfaces nearly enough developer/user control over the networking components of it to make it happen. Then again I'm a docker newbie and I suspect I'm accidentally describing Docker Desktop and not the variant others have in mind.
Docker runs inside a VM in macOS, I don't think that there will ever be anything like that in iOS. It could run natively, but I think that's even more unrealistic.

tl;dr: I was joking :)

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
now that they have added all these features to ipadOS, i kinda wish i got the 12.9" Pro last year.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I think the chances that we get an iPad OS like experience on an ARM MacBook is much higher than macOS running on ARM.
they need a more universally available file system interaction then they do now. My biggest issue is the inability to do something like drag/drop a file into something like gmail. Mail is awful, i'm not using it.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I think this silly Magic Keyboard is what will get me to graduate from the 11" iPad Pro I currently have (2018) to the larger 12" model. With the accessory, this really, really does seem like it can replace my computer for 99% of my work (Teams, Outlook, Excel, Word, internet).

But I don't want to buy this model. Seems it's a stop-gap, espcially if the rumors of a higher-end model coming later this year are true.

But on the flip side, I don't wanna drop $300 on a Magic Keyboard for my 11 that won't work on my eventual 12. Guess I'll just wait... but that's no fun ;p

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The keyboard looked great until I saw it starts at $300... I don't know how it could jump that far over the original Pro Smart Keyboard for the 2018 models... it seems like it adds only a couple of things of note so I thought it might double the price at the craziest guess

Honestly at this point I think I will keep my 11inch 2018 until the next exterior upgrade. The camera swap doesn't mean anything to me - I've never found a single AR app useful (I'm sure that will change as more of these class of cameras spread but now it's just early adopter stuff) and that's on top of me never having used the iPad camera in my entire life as is.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Messed around with a super simple bluetooth mouse last night on my 10.5" Pro, and it works pretty well! I will say that a trackpad seems much better than a mouse (at least, a mouse with only left/right/scroll wheel) since the gestures allow for so many more functions. I found I still needed to use the home button, and some touch gestures to get around with my shitty mouse. That said, the basic mouse functions all worked pretty much as you'd expect!

This is making me really want to upgrade to the new 11" with the keyboard case. It seems dangerously close to being able to replace a laptop for the majority of day to day tasks now.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I was so close to buying a Pro or a refurbished 12.9 but then I got locked down in isolation for a month and bought a 4K TV instead. Then it turns out the screen is too big and now I just wish I had an iPad on my desk instead :(

All models having 6 GB is based off someone looking into the 13.4 prelease code.

Have people with actual iPads confirmed this? Apparently Apple wouldn't tell MKBHD.
Apple will never tell anyone the memory in iOS devices. That's one of their weird no go zones, regardless of whether it's good or bad for them (here it's good thankfully).

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i wonder if that magic keyboard will be usable lying down in bed
my purchase hinges on this.

Obviously no one outside of Apple has tried it yet, but this is from one of the announcement videos:

7IPsbrW.png

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

@1m13s

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
All models having 6 GB is based off someone looking into the 13.4 prelease code.

Have people with actual iPads confirmed this? Apparently Apple wouldn't tell MKBHD.

Taken today

12.9 128gb with cell model

I was so close to buying a Pro or a refurbished 12.9 but then I got locked down in isolation for a month and bought a 4K TV instead. Then it turns out the screen is too big and now I just wish I had an iPad on my desk instead :(

Apple will never tell anyone the memory in iOS devices. That's one of their weird no go zones, regardless of whether it's good or bad for them (here it's good thankfully).
Yeah Apple doesn't seem to think RAM should be a factor in iOS/iPadOS talks. Their RAM performance rarely is predictable in comparison to similar Android phones and tablets so it seems Apple doesn't like that becoming a topic when it doesn't say much to non-enthusiast buyers. That said, more is better so I wish they tell since enthusiasts will always be happy when it creeps higher.
i wonder if that magic keyboard will be usable lying down in bed
my purchase hinges on this.
What do you even mean? How would you use it laying down? Like flat? I can't picture this question lol

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Apple doesn't seem to think RAM should be a factor in iOS/iPadOS talks. Their RAM performance rarely is predictable in comparison to similar Android phones and tablets so it seems Apple doesn't like that becoming a topic when it doesn't say much to non-enthusiast buyers. That said, more is better so I wish they tell since enthusiasts will always be happy when it creeps higher.
I think you are 100% right. I also think apple is 100% ridiculous taking this stance.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'm still super happy with my iPad Pro (2018) which I bought last year. It's my first Apple device and has replaced my laptop usage for pretty much everything except writing my dissertation. However, outside of the new keyboard, do you think this device really is worth the upgrade? This all seem like pretty incremental upgrades to me. I'm not sure about you but I find the iPad Pro to be running everything very, very smoothly.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still super happy with my iPad Pro (2018) which I bought last year. It's my first Apple device and has replaced my laptop usage for pretty much everything except writing my dissertation. However, outside of the new keyboard, do you think this device really is worth the upgrade? This all seem like pretty incremental upgrades to me. I'm not sure about you but I find the iPad Pro to be running everything very, very smoothly.
You can just buy the new keyboard for your current Pro if you want.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
I had the 2017 12.9 iPad pro, the shrinking of the bezel makes a significant difference in the perceived size of the device. I'm going to miss the headphone jack the most, but life without the home button has been pretty good so far. I just wish they had reinforced the case a bit. Based on this video they didn't:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I had the 2017 12.9 iPad pro, the shrinking of the bezel makes a significant difference in the perceived size of the device. I'm going to miss the headphone jack the most, but life without the home button has been pretty good so far. I just wish they had reinforced the case a bit. Based on this video they didn't:

*twitches* I can't watch that shit.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I understand that obviously it's not a good thing that it can crack like that, but who the fuck would be treating their iPad so poorly that that would happen? If it was a phone, sure. That sits in your pocket / gets dropped / etc..

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

I very much doubt that people are bending iPads much, even accidentally. Don't worry about it. The videos feel like more of a click meme rather than a real shared experience like a smartphone falling and having its screen crack.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
So I've ordered the 12.9 inch 2018 model as the camera is useless to me. Can anyone recommend a cheap compatible keyboard and mouse or trackpad I could use? Thanks

Last edited:

52club

Oct 27, 2017
*twitches* I can't watch that shit.

I keep worrying the dude is going to cut/slice his hand open.

I understand that obviously it's not a good thing that it can crack like that, but who the fuck would be treating their iPad so poorly that that would happen? If it was a phone, sure. That sits in your pocket / gets dropped / etc..
I very much doubt that people are bending iPads much, even accidentally. Don't worry about it. The videos feel like more of a click meme rather than a real shared experience like a smartphone falling and having its screen crack.

I commute everyday with mine on mass transit. No one intends (outside of this guy) to put their device through things like this, but wear/tear and accidents happen. I'm really surprised apple did nothing to reinforce the device.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna buy the 11" for my dad once this Covid-19 subsides.

I've read somewhere that there are differences in ram size for the 11" and 12"?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I commute everyday with mine on mass transit. No one intends (outside of this guy) to put their device through things like this, but wear/tear and accidents happen. I'm really surprised apple did nothing to reinforce the device.

I would assume because outside of Youtube videos where people are intentionally damaging them, it's not a widespread issue.