• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I connected my iPad Pro to my home office setup(monitor + USB mouse and keyboard) using a USB-C dock, and yup, Apple did it, you can actually use this as a full blown computer if you wish(typing using my physical keyboard on the iPad as we speak). You don't get the full monitor aspect ratio since the monitor is just mirroring the iPad's screen, but it's more than usable and it looks great.

The only weird thing is that if I connect the dock to power, the iPad starts charging but it loses connection to everything, so I'm forced to use the battery in this configuration. It might have something to with the dock itself, not sure, will have to troubleshoot it further.

Last edited:

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't have a USB-C Pro, but an external monitor does not use the monitor's native resolution? That's disappointing... well, it's also expected as iOS apps are always optimized for the device resolution :/
Would be a dealbreaker for me though, if I wanted to use it on a desk

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

From the article you posted:

Whether it's a widespread problem or an isolated one

That's an article from December of 18 with no data, only anecdotal evidence. I'm not saying that no one's IPad was bent or damaged(which is always true for a certain percentage of any product), but it's been years and it's clear by now there is no widespread defect or design flaw.

Look at the butterfly keyboard for an example of what happens when there is a widespread design issue with an Apple product. That was a legitimate issue.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
I would assume because outside of Youtube videos where people are intentionally damaging them, it's not a widespread issue.
From the article you posted:

That's an article from December of 18 with no data, only anecdotal evidence. I'm not saying that no one's IPad was bent or damaged(which is always true for a certain percentage of any product), but it's been years and it's clear by now there is no widespread defect or design flaw.

Look at the butterfly keyboard for an example of what happens when there is a widespread design issue with an Apple product. That was a legitimate issue.

Which took years for Apple to acknowledge...you kind of made my argument for me.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is such a minor upgrade over the 2018 iPad Pro I'm starting to believe the rumors that the mini LED iPad is around the corner (now obviously delayed like everything else)

the Magic keyboard and software update to allow trackpad support is the 2020 update

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Which took years for Apple to acknowledge...you kind of made my argument for me.

No, my point was the keyboards were a legitimate issue that people were very vocal about until they were fixed. There is no outrage over the iPad Pro design. In fact, I was surprised you brought it up as it's been such a non issue.

Personally, I am happy they kept the design. It's the best design Apple has produced since the iPhone 4.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a minor upgrade over the 2018 iPad Pro I'm starting to believe the rumors that the mini LED iPad is around the corner (now obviously delayed like everything else)

the Magic keyboard and software update to allow trackpad support is the 2020 update
The 2018 Pro is one of my best purchases ever.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loving my new 2020 Pro. Any good game recommendations that lend themselves well to the touch screen? I'm thinking Civ VI, and I'm playing Sayonara with a controller, but kind wanted some more touch-screen stuff.

veras

Oct 27, 2017
Want to pick one of these up, but really waffling on which size to go with - I won't really be doing serious serious work on it so leaning to the smaller (and cheaper) one, but more screen is always alluring.

Oct 28, 2017
Want to pick one of these up, but really waffling on which size to go with - I won't really be doing serious serious work on it so leaning to the smaller (and cheaper) one, but more screen is always alluring.

I've used both sizes. If you're not using it as a laptop replacement with it attached to the keyboard I'd go with the 11".
It feels way better in the hands. The 12.9 is just absurdly large.

veras

Oct 27, 2017
I've used both sizes. If you're not using it as a laptop replacement with it attached to the keyboard I'd go with the 11".
It feels way better in the hands. The 12.9 is just absurdly large.

Yeah, I own an original 9.7" iPad Air which is really similar in overall dimensions to the 11" Pro, and keep comparing it to a letter sized of paper which is apparently basically the same size as the 12.9" Pro and the bigger size seems like it would be kinda unwieldy

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I connected my iPad Pro to my home office setup(monitor + USB mouse and keyboard) using a USB-C dock, and yup, Apple did it, you can actually use this as a full blown computer if you wish(typing using my physical keyboard on the iPad as we speak). You don't get the full monitor aspect ratio since the monitor is just mirroring the iPad's screen, but it's more than usable and it looks great.

The only weird thing is that if I connect the dock to power, the iPad starts charging but it loses connection to everything, so I'm forced to use the battery in this configuration. It might have something to with the dock itself, not sure, will have to troubleshoot it further.

it *can* support better resolutions - try some of the video apps. So it's a shame they just mirror the screen by default. I'd like a mixed approach and maybe with mouse support theI'll expand how they work with external monitors?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Testing the mouse support on my IPad 10.2. It is a bit weird with the sticky cursor but seems ok, will try to add a keyboard tomorrow. Still not sure what I want to do with it though.
My IPad does not recognize allow the buttons of my mouse. Have already set up customized buttons but seemingly it only accepts 6 buttons? Furthermore, no back and forward options for the customized buttons is really annoying.

Somehow the iPad also registers the mouse when it is turned off and charging, which is another annoying thing.

Well, at least my old Logitech DiNovo 1 keyboard and MX1000 mouse is getting some use, they must be around 20 years old now.

Edit: my solution right now for back and forward are custom gestures. acceptable but not very convenient.

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
For those that have the 12.9, how is it to hold and reading comics?

other than that I'd be using it like a laptop (garage band and whatnot) plus some games.

JackBauer24

Oct 28, 2017
Got a 12.9 Pro and all the cases I've seen for them are flimsy or offer no true support. The case I'm looking for is similar to a Logitech Anyangle. I want the iPad to fit inside the case and for it to have a simple cover that flips over it. Has anyone found a case like this?

22-4.jpg

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Got mine. Looks great, but I think I would actually have preferred the silver one. Damn it.
But I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it. And if they really release another one with a better screen later this year, I will likely upgrade anyway. So I'll grab the silver one, then.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
I really liked using my 12,9" with the pen for some video cutting with lumafusion,drawing with procreate or simply using lightroom.

With mouse support in addition to the logitech keyboard cover I started dabbling around in some light office work and liked it. Not as fast as on PC, but it's a great improvement in terms of workflow.

Any idea of any developers plans in terms of adding further mouse support? Would go great ways if photoshop for example could utilize it more than just the basics right now

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Got a 12.9 Pro and all the cases I've seen for them are flimsy or offer no true support. The case I'm looking for is similar to a Logitech Anyangle. I want the iPad to fit inside the case and for it to have a simple cover that flips over it. Has anyone found a case like this?

That is a nice case, had one like it for my first gen iPad Pro. It did start to crack at a bend point. I haven't seen any great cases similar to that. I settled on this one (fits well, protects ok):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08342C3N5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a Zugu on pre-order, but that isn't supposed to ship until around 4/30.

Piotrek

Oct 28, 2017
Warsaw, PL

I don't think there's one for the 2020 model yet but I've been using a Moshi Versacover for the past several months with the 2018 Pro and it's been great. The foldable cover gives you two orientations at similar angles to the Apple one as well as a portrait mode which sealed the deal for me. Perhaps keep an eye out for this one? I think it strikes a nice balance between being slim and sturdy enough.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

22-4.jpg
In fairness, iPad takes a little time for them to do new cases. It's not as quick of a market as phones. There should be plenty within the month.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. After using my 11" Pro for a while, my iPhone X feels absolutely tiny. Gonna get the Max version of the next upgrade, I think.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. After using my 11" Pro for a while, my iPhone X feels absolutely tiny. Gonna get the Max version of the next upgrade, I think.

I feel the opposite. I want a smaller phone since the iPad is a lot more useful for everything. I think that's a big reason why Android phones are always so big; people with Android phones don't tend to have tablets, so they do everything on their phone.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing no... but are there any videos of the new keyboard case and the range of motion where you can tilt the screen?

octopedes

Feb 3, 2018
Always wanted an 11in iPad Pro and was waiting for the 2020 upgrade, but it didn't seem like a huge upgrade that was worth the money so I bought a 2018 11" 64gb Wifi + Cellular model with Apple Pencil from some dude on Craigslist for $500.

Even though its 2 years old, this thing feels like the future

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Always wanted an 11in iPad Pro and was waiting for the 2020 upgrade, but it didn't seem like a huge upgrade that was worth the money so I bought a 2018 11" 64gb Wifi + Cellular model with Apple Pencil from some dude on Craigslist for $500.

Even though its 2 years old, this thing feels like the future

I would have absolutely taken that deal. GJ

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird though that Apple wouldn't show this off.
It's clearly not ready yet. Apple typically only sends out review/preview units to outlets/influencers about a week before release. Other products that they've launched months out they haven't sent super early. normally there would be a hands on or eyes on at an announcement event, but we know why that isn't happening this time.

I don't find it weird at all.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
It's clearly not ready yet. Apple typically only sends out review/preview units to outlets/influencers about a week before release. Other products that they've launched months out they haven't sent super early. normally there would be a hands on or eyes on at an announcement event, but we know why that isn't happening this time.

I don't find it weird at all.

If it's releasing next month I would think it's definitely ready, just not in a "manufactured to scale" sense. I just want to see a video of the hinge!

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
So no need to go for the larger one? I don't plan on drawing or anything, and I think its already going to be large as is.

It's perfect for pages just holding it in portrait. For bigger pages, just flip it to landscape. It's a great tablet. Get a refurbed 2018 for cheaper. The newer one is basically the same model but with a better camera on the back. The chip is almost identical and it's A BEAST. Plus you can save money and put it towards a magic keyboard, which will basically turn it into a laptop. No need for the 12.9" for me because it's too big.

Oct 25, 2017
So refurbished previous model 11 inch with 256gb for $679 vs new 11 inch with 128gb for $749, using education pricing.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So refurbished previous model 11 inch with 256gb for $679 vs new 11 inch with 128gb for $749, using education pricing.
Unless you need more storage I'd just get the new one tbh, even if they're very similar. Cool LIDAR and just a newer device, non-refurb. But if you need more storage, for video/photo editing or having a shitton of local media on your device, go with the 256gb.

I might be biased as I have a 2020 11" 128gb (WiFi + Cellular).

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you need more storage I'd just get the new one tbh, even if they're very similar. Cool LIDAR and just a newer device, non-refurb. But if you need more storage, for video/photo editing or having a shitton of local media on your device, go with the 256gb.

I might be biased as I have a 2020 11" 128gb (WiFi + Cellular).
I'll be straight up honest, I don't even need this. We will use it for netflix, some games, ebook reading, comics, internet, etc. I just don't know if 11 inch or 12.9 inch is the better answer.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be straight up honest, I don't even need this. We will use it for netflix, some games, ebook reading, comics, internet, etc. I just don't know if 11 inch or 12.9 inch is the better answer.
That's pretty much my use case for mine. I prefer the 11in for consumption. My sister has a 12.9 and it's a little big for me to just chill on the couch with.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't need mine either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but it has been nice to have. I prefer the 11" because the 12.9" is just huge and feels super cumbersome. I wouldn't recommend the 12.9 outside of heavy use for professional workflows.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I also vote for the 11", and I use mine as a full on laptop replacement.

The smart keyboard and screen is large enough for laptop use and it's the perfect size for tablet use on the couch.

Mar 3, 2018
If you were in the market for an iPad Pro for media consumption, photo editing, digital art, would you go with the new one or the previous gen? Can't tell if the upgrade is big enough.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you were in the market for an iPad Pro for media consumption, photo editing, digital art, would you go with the new one or the previous gen? Can't tell if the upgrade is big enough.
The new one is a no brainer if you don't have an iPad and aren't tight for cash. But if you are trying to be price conscious and don't know that you'd use the AR camera upgrade, the 2018 gen 1 is still pretty much capable of anything made to run on iPad you can think of doing, so it is worthwhile if you find one for a couple hundred cheaper than MSRP.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Looking around, other than the Apple refurb, the price differences between 2018 and 2020 pros make it hard to choose the older one. Not much of a discount, but more importantly the base storage change really changes the value proposition there.