• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
It's a $99 for twice the cores. Think of how absurd it is to use a dual core in 2020 let alone in 2024. Spend the $99 and you'll get a few more years out of this thing.
I wouldn't know honestly, hence why I'm asking in the first place. But if it's truly beneficial from a future proof standpoint, then maybe I will.

Last edited:

LtOrange

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego
I ordered the i5, 8 ram and 512 storage. Should I have upgraded the ram? I am kinda on a time crunch and need a computer by next week. The 16 ram isn't available until April, but now I am worried about all these future proof comments. I just need something to email, web browse and use office apps on.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered the i5, 8 ram and 512 storage. Should I have upgraded the ram? I am kinda on a time crunch and need a computer by next week. The 16 ram isn't available until April, but now I am worried about all these future proof comments. I just need something to email, web browse and use office apps on.
RAM would be the first upgrade I make tbh

Falch

Jan 6, 2018
There's rumours Apple will announce new MacBook Pro's end of the month. Worth waiting or should I go for the new Air?

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
The new air seems worth a consideration. I'll have to wait and see how the new rumored 14inch mbp will be

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
my 2012 air is on it's lsat legs. do i get this, or wait for the new pro? worried the latter will be insanely expensive when and if it comes, though.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Base model seems worthless, and the i5 is the same price as a 13" mbp. Meh. I'll wait.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
ÂŁ1,500ish for the i7, 16GB of RAM, and the 512GB SSD seems pretty decent. I'm still rocking a 2015 MBP that's a lot less capable than that, so it's weird to consider that moving to the Air would be a big upgrade.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
This is 10nm intel processors yes?

i7
16GB
1TB SSD
ÂŁ1,849

Drop 8GB ram, switch to i5
ÂŁ1,499

Meh. I'll set a nice wallpaper on a windows laptop that I can install things on.

So these prices turned out not so different from Microsoft's Surface Book and the Dell XPS.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
forums.macrumors.com

2020 MacBook Air With Quad-Core i5 is Up to 76% Faster Than 2018-2019 Model Based on Benchmarks

Apple this week refreshed its MacBook Air lineup with a scissor switch Magic Keyboard and faster 10th-generation Intel Core processor options, including a 1.1GHz dual-core Core i3, 1.1GHz quad-core Core i5, and 1.2GHz quad-core Core i7. Jason Snell of Six Colors was provided with the...

geekbench-air-6c.jpg

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
I am still on my 2015 air. Need to refresh. But all the reviews said the new air was slow last year.
So should I get these? I don't intend on spending over a 1k bucks on it though. so is i3 okay for daily tasks or is it too "potato specs" for a $999 laptop?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018

i wouldn't buy any computer today with less than 16GB RAM especially an expensive purchase like this where you can't upgrade it yourself and that you'd hope to last a good few years.

i5 cpu will be more than enough. storage is totally up to you. i'm looking at getting the i5/16gb/512gb model. seems the best option.
I am still on my 2015 air. Need to refresh. But all the reviews said the new air was slow last year.
So should I get these? I don't intend on spending over a 1k bucks on it though. so is i3 okay for daily tasks or is it too "potato specs" for a $999 laptop?
would not go with the i3 since it's still dual core.

the i3/8gb model is a bit of a joke. i5/16gb minimum but that's just me.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ordered my first ever MacBook (just the base model)

I'm in the UK, I shouldn't expect to get this delivered until the lockdown and everything else is over right?

First world problems

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

I'm out. Back to waiting for the 13" Pro refresh. Not that I was looking for Pro performance in an Air, but climbing to 100 degrees and throttling in seconds when you do anything even mildly intensive is a big nope from me. You're basically paying for a processor you'll never get to use because the cooling solution is so poor.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Nov 2, 2017

I'm out. Back to waiting for the 13" Pro refresh. Not that I was looking for Pro performance in an Air, but climbing to 100 degrees and throttling in seconds when you do anything even mildly intensive is a big nope from me. You're basically paying for a processor you'll never get to use because the cooling solution is so poor.

Eh, I think the methodology he used to come to that conclusion about the temperature is a bit flawed, based on what I've been reading:

Problem in the video - Max signed on into his iCloud on a NEW MBP Air, and it was downloading and encorporating his video/photos from icloud and also keychain. That is why it is running at 70 Degrees, but it is not idling - it is working actually.
Second hint is that his benchmarks got lower score on this first video, while in the second video it scored much higher. This also suggests us, that first benchmark he got has lower scores because new Air was already doing some kind of background tasks.
Correct. The vlogger's methodology is critically flawed.

The system is doing the typical things it does when it is first booted and after major OS upgrades.

If he bothered to look at Activity Monitor, it would have showed processes like 'mdworker', 'lsd' and others churning away. These processes are related to system housekeeping activities like Spotlight indexing, certificate management, etc.

This is the same mistake made by a lot of people who ask "Why is my brand new Mac____ so slow?"

After all of these tasks are complete, I'm willing to bet that the idle CPU temperature is about 40°C.

Don't trust dilettante vloggers for accurate product reviews.
forums.macrumors.com

2020 i5 - 70°C idle temperature?

I was looking at this video, and at 3m10s it shows that the compute idles at 70°C. It's the i5, so presumably the i3 is cooler. But is this really true? Do you know of any other review that look at the temperature? Or if anyone here already got the computer, can you verify? I'm just to idling...

I'm waiting on other reviews to comment about the heating issue before I entirely trust it at this point.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I think the methodology he used to come to that conclusion about the temperature is a bit flawed, based on what I've been reading:

forums.macrumors.com

I was looking at this video, and at 3m10s it shows that the compute idles at 70°C. It's the i5, so presumably the i3 is cooler. But is this really true? Do you know of any other review that look at the temperature? Or if anyone here already got the computer, can you verify? I'm just to idling...

I'm waiting on other reviews to comment about the heating issue before I entirely trust it at this point.
Hm, interesting. Well, either way I'm back to waiting.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Guys do you think that 16gb of ram are a must or 8gb are enough?

I would use the air for work stuff ( excel and broswing more or less ).

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

forums.macrumors.com

Sounds like this is only an issue if you play games. I plan to use this, primarily, for internet browsing. Gonna jump on this in about a month.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Guys do you think that 16gb of ram are a must or 8gb are enough?

I would use the air for work stuff ( excel and broswing more or less ).
If you have the money to spare, CPU and RAM are the top 2 upgrades imo. Macs are pretty well optimized at running multiple apps, but RAM is one of things you don't know how much you loved until it's gone.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I think im 100% down to get this. It's been awhile since I've had a non-work laptop and I do enjoy the experience of having one while I'm on the couch or want to go out (lol) and still have access to a computer.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good to see more reviews on this. I always regretted going with the pro back when I bought my current laptop. But this one is coming up on 7 years at this point and while it still trucks along, I'm at the point where I'd like something new and the Air is right in the sweet spot for my uses.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is this thing powerful enough to output a 4k video file to a tv. I have an older tv which struggles a bit with a few of my plex rips

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having no luck with this, never had a MacBook before but it's super slow, only synched it to my account and everything is stored in iCloud so no idea why

Also shows 60gb of storage spare but only 10gb or so actually in use!

edit - found the issue; not the solution! It's scanning the 67k photos for faces which is taking most of the processing power it seems

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm having no luck with this, never had a MacBook before but it's super slow, only synched it to my account and everything is stored in iCloud so no idea why

Also shows 60gb of storage spare but only 10gb or so actually in use!

edit - found the issue; not the solution! It's scanning the 67k photos for faces which is taking most of the processing power it seems
Welcome to photoanalysisd hell. It'll be over eventually.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
wait, I bought a macbook air last week for my dad... Didn't even noticed this news.

Wonder If I got the newer, bought the first model:
Intel Core i3 at 1,1 GHz
8 Go LPDDR4X at 3 733 MHz
SSD 256 Go
Intel Iris Plus Graphics

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Have the reports of this laptop overheating been true in people's experience here? All I would do is really Office, Safari, and potentially some learning Python eventually. My fan won't go crazy with this use application I hope?

I saw a Youtuber get up to 100 C just watching a 4K video in Chrome, a bit concerning (though I would never use Chrome on a Mac anyway).

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Holding out for the yearly back-to-school special. I'm conditioned to never buy a MacBook without also getting a pair of bluetooth headphones thrown in at no extra cost. Hopefully by then there's new MacBook Pro 14s.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have the reports of this laptop overheating been true in people's experience here? All I would do is really Office, Safari, and potentially some learning Python eventually. My fan won't go crazy with this use application I hope?

I saw a Youtuber get up to 100 C just watching a 4K video in Chrome, a bit concerning (though I would never use Chrome on a Mac anyway).

i5 model is fine. As always I think the i7 is overkill and you end up with thermal issues, and chrome like usual has issues on MacOS vs Safari.

My general rule of thumb for any ultra book like is if it's under 15" stick with i5. If you need an i7 then get a bigger laptop that has more room for cooling.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Did you watch this one?

maybe his one is faulty, but the cooling solution in the Air without connected heat pipes look weird

FunnyBunny19

alt account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
I've seen some ask this question but I don't feel there's been a definitive answer: should I prioritize the RAM or the CPU upgrade? Will mainly only use this thing to browse and watch media.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the last model also have a fan not directly connected to the heatsink?

I don't know if his Air was faulty, but I ready to belive that the i5s have heat issues. It would't be the first time, and Mac-youtubers tend to do poor benchmarks by running short, lightweight synthetic tests. No wonder it took a a while for this to appear.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think manufacturers optimize everything towards these stupid benchmarks these days. Just make sure it doesn't throttle or perform bad for some Geekbench runs, but ignore real world usage.