• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, just died on the final phase and ragdoll respawn is stuck :(
I enjoyed the game up until this point, now I freaking despise it. What might be the final level is rather annoying with its mechanics and then the ragdoll got stuck and I have to start it all over? I might just delete it now ;p.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
The Bradwell Conspiracy seems right up my alley, but it's a little choppy on my iPad and with terrible frametime spikes from time to time, so Steam might be the better option for me. Tremendous value on Apple Arcade though, considering the Steam version will probably be $20 on its own.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
The Bradwell Conspiracy seems right up my alley, but it's a little choppy on my iPad and with terrible frametime spikes from time to time, so Steam might be the better option for me. Tremendous value on Apple Arcade though, considering the Steam version will probably be $20 on its own.
Which iPad?

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on Mac OS. The text size in Various Daylife is awful. Look at the bottom right. "Warrior Work"!

sUe87FP.png

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like better information if a game plays better with a controller or touch. Likewise is one suited to iPad vs iPhone

that way I can adjust what I have installed across devices and play them based on my situation

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, new games are up. And I just got a controller and mount. Feels crazy good now! My biggest beef with mobile has always been the controls.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
New games on a weekend? Well, I finished Tangle Tower this morning (good stuff), and was debating to begin either Mutazione or Shinsekai. But now...

Pilgrams does have that Amanita feel with the artsyle and picture speech bubbles. And it seems they jumped on the card based gameplay trend.

Bradwell Conspiracy seems my kind of game so I'm leaning towards jumping into this one. But while you can use a controller it seems they did nothing to update the UI to match with the giant unneeded menu/pause/duck buttons onscreen.
Yeah, I uninstalled it. Seems like a straight PC port. Super small text, blurry as hell on my 11. Needs an update. Apple shouldn't have allowed it on the store.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Just tried out the 4 new games.

Bradwell Conspiracy - not bad, enjoying it quite a lot, the touch controls staying while using controller is annoying though. Graphics is definitely the "low setting" of PC version but perfectly playable.

Pilgrim - wonderful game, fantastic art style and this is exactly the type of game I want out of the service. A unique kind of experience that I would normally skip on console. Will be spending a lot more time in this.

Redout Space Assault - this is a weird one... I see there's a PC version that was delayed indefinitely, so I'm very surprised to see this ended up here. The game itself is cool, nothing revolutionary, very basic mobile space shooter, a VERY pretty one though, but I would be very surprised if this is anywhere near the PC version because the game seem very... basic. It's like they made the core game and graphics, then slap the UI design/menu on it. The menu, gameplay system and everything felt rather cheap. Still a fun game, definitely returning for more.

Nightmare Farm - I believe this is from the dev who made Nekoatsume. It's just that, with nightmare, and farm. Not my type of game. Will have to try it more.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
So, are all Apple Arcade games intended to eventually be playable on Mac? I downloaded the Catalina beta last night excited to try this out, but none of the games I was most interested in checking out (ChuChu Rocket, Frogger, Sonic Racing) are on there yet. I'm hoping this is just a case of not being quite ready for the full launch?

That said I'll certainly be activating the trial anyway since a lot of games I'd never heard of look pretty cool, I really like how the store is laid out. All the little videos give you a great sense of what each game is like and whether it'll interest you.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, a surprise new Amanita game!!

And they're building on the card puzzle structure from Samorost 3 too, that's great. I remember hitting that part of the game and thinking it was a brilliant idea.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Grindstone is one of the few arcade games with no language selection and of course the translation is awful. Thanks, I hate it.
Thankfully on iOS 13 you can change languages outside of the app. Look for the specific app in Settings and you can do it there now. It's a godsend even outside of games.

I had to do it for What the Golf too, what little text is on it was badly translated in Portuguese.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
*i enjoy card of darkness more*

Essential!!
just started playing it and wow this game is amazing on so many levels!!

GUYS!! PLAY THIS GAME!!

An interesting interview with the devs of Grindstone + Skate City + Where The Cards Fall

Love how Apple is so supportive for unique games and gave the devs a good deal (which they can't disclose)

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
So I thought maybe Bradwell Conspiracy would play better on an apple tv (4k). On the plus side the touchscreen overlays are gone. But wow is performance bad. I can be lenient on performance at times, but this game is rough. It's decent enough on my Max, but the overlays bother me too much. I'll shelve this game for now and hope for an update.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Essential!!
just started playing it and wow this game is amazing on so many levels!!

GUYS!! PLAY THIS GAME!!

An interesting interview with the devs of Grindstone + Skate City + Where The Cards Fall

Love how Apple is so supportive for unique games and gave the devs a good deal (which they can't disclose)

I agree, grindstone is the highlight of the service for me. It's exactly what I want from mobile games (I prefer to play story-driven/action games on console) and it does it very well

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
I'm starting to have my doubts with this service, half the games I have tried are awful or have some annoying quirks. This doesn't feel premium to me, bar maybe 1 or 2 titles.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Highly recommend Dear Reader as another breezy puzzle game in the vein of Patterned. It's a word play game about simply arranging the correct words missing from selections of famous prose and poetry so it might be pretty easy for those who've retained a lot from said literature but you can tweak the difficulty up a bit. Also want to throw in Hexaflip. Picked Hexaflip up on a whim but it's got me hooked. In it you navigating a hexagon through what amounts to an obstacle course focused on avoiding traps through timing. As levels get harder the feeling of triumph grows at least for me when I time everything right and make it to the end with the objectives complete.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Thankfully on iOS 13 you can change languages outside of the app. Look for the specific app in Settings and you can do it there now. It's a godsend even outside of games.

I had to do it for What the Golf too, what little text is on it was badly translated in Portuguese.
Sadly it doesnt work for Grindstone. Almost every other game has both an ingame option and the settings option you mentioned... but not this one.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to have my doubts with this service, half the games I have tried are awful or have some annoying quirks. This doesn't feel premium to me, bar maybe 1 or 2 titles.
Either you're trying awful games or you're super picky. Because basically everything I've heard from gaming sites and experienced for myself totally differs.

Last edited:

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I dont think there's many or any really awful games on the service. A few I don't like sure but not a lot I think are awful. Overall the quality is very good.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly it doesnt work for Grindstone. Almost every other game has both an ingame option and the settings option you mentioned... but not this one.
Ugh, that's awful. I thought it was supposed to work regardless of what the dev does with the app.

I haven't played it yet, but bad translations are a deal breaker for me.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I was very surprised to see Shantae end halfway through the game with a "end of part one" message. I don't think there was any indication in the game or app store until you reach the stopping point, which a little annoying.

At least it's confirmed on their twitter that the rest will be added via an app update and still playable with apple arcade.

I have a habit of leaving past Shantae games half finished anyway, so maybe the forced break is a good thing.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
So I thought maybe Bradwell Conspiracy would play better on an apple tv (4k). On the plus side the touchscreen overlays are gone. But wow is performance bad. I can be lenient on performance at times, but this game is rough. It's decent enough on my Max, but the overlays bother me too much. I'll shelve this game for now and hope for an update.

Have you tried setting the Apple TV resolution to 1080? I'm wondering if that has an impact on performance.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I was very surprised to see Shantae end halfway through the game with a "end of part one" message. I don't think there was any indication in the game or app store until you reach the stopping point, which a little annoying.

At least it's confirmed on their twitter that the rest will be added via an app update and still playable with apple arcade.

I have a habit of leaving past Shantae games half finished anyway, so maybe the forced break is a good thing.

It says right at the beginning of the game, that it's the only the first half. This is the very first screen:

cb022b01-972e-4431-a2hlkob.png

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
The first few games I tried were duds for me and I was considering cancelling the subscription, but What the Golf are Grindstone are really good and definitely worth the subscription. In the end most of them were definitely more mobile experiences rather than something meaty you'd find on like 3DS, but can't argue with the price though.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Only tried a few games but my favorite so far is definitely Spek, gives me some serious echochrome vibes while also having some pretty clever gimmicks of its own.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
anyone know what to do to catch the bird in pilgrim? I've done two out of three steps (King + priest), not sure what to pursue now?

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried setting the Apple TV resolution to 1080? I'm wondering if that has an impact on performance.
This was in 1080. I could switch to 4K to see if it's worse... this isn't an action game so I could forgive it, but on the larger screen the blurry textures and stuttering framerate especially when turning was giving me a headache. :(

I'll wait/hope for an update. All I really need is a way to hide the UI.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
On Apple TV is there any way so that each user can have his individual Game Center account automatically?

Just trying it and while great, my user can only use the same Game Center account tied to the system, currently mine but that was after changing it on settings. Originally it was my partner's GC account that was logged in.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Grindstone is SO GOOD. Between it and Clash of Heroes, Capy has this genre on lockdown.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe not the best place to ask but can anyone give some direction for a good iPad to purchase as a jumping in point? I see the new 7th gen has just come out here in Australia but then the older iPad air are more expensive still, so I assume the new ones arent as powerful?

Haven't owned an ipad for 6 years or so now.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not the best place to ask but can anyone give some direction for a good iPad to purchase as a jumping in point? I see the new 7th gen has just come out here in Australia but then the older iPad air are more expensive still, so I assume the new ones arent as powerful?

Haven't owned an ipad for 6 years or so now.
iPad Mini 2019. Perfect size and powerful (A12 chip, same as the Air). The new 10.2 iPads have the A10 chip. Only iPad pros have better chips (A12x), but they are way too expensive.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
iPad Mini 2019. Perfect size and powerful (A12 chip, same as the Air). The new 10.2 iPads have the A10 chip. Only iPad pros have better chips (A12x), but they are way too expensive.

Ok, I guess from that if I prefer the bigger size then the iPad Air is the way to go? As yes, the pro's are definitely too expensive for me to justify.

Thanks for the reply.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I *THINK* I'm at the end of Shinsekai (last boss?).
It is absolutely glorious, last stage is pure eye candy awesomeness (incredible it runs on my iPhone, so well I might add).
Really surprised there isn't much talk about it....if it was on consoles it would be all over the place imho.
Awesome game, one of the best I played in recent memory and strong contender for my personal GOTY (up there with Dead Cells which I played this year, but they are totally different games).
Story based exploration games don't get any better than this....the world is amazing and it's a glorious audio-visual orgy.

For a change, it's even waaaaaay more optimized than the average Apple Arcade game, despite being hands down the most beautiful and among the most demanding (Overland, I', looking at you!!!!)
Hats off to Capcom.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Played some Exit the Gungeon (or whatever it's called) on Apple TV, and I think this is what will make me pay for Apple Arcade. Not the game, but the fact that the service essentially upgrades Apple TV into a neat little console. The fact that you can also use the controller in the menus is such a small thing, but I felt it made a huge difference compared to tapping an iPad screen and then being able to use the controller.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Jenny LeClue is up there with my favourite games of the year. It's not particularly challenging, but it's brilliantly paced, super charming and laugh-out-loud funny. My only real gripe is the cliffhanger-ending.