• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Okay so I have the weirdest issue. I have a iPhone X, IPad 2018 and Apple tv. All have os13 and use the same Apple ID and account. So I decided to do the free trial and downloading and playing the games on the IPhone works perfect, and they even get downloaded simultaneously on the Apple TV, however when I launch them there I just get sent to the "try for free now" screen, and if I press that button I get a "you are already subscribed. The same happens when I try do download the directly on the Apple TV. Anyone else had this?

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So do all Apple Arcade games work on an Ipad/apple TV / mac?

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't' really found any great games in this service. Some are fun to play for a bit but none that I really want to continue playing. Just got around to Grindstone and found it very boring.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
To date I've now played and enjoyed:

Grindstone
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Pinball Wizard
Pilgrims
Neo Cab
What the Golf

Been trying to put a decent bit of time into each to stop me just jumping game to game. It's been really fun!

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The service so far has been totally worth it for my iPhone alone. Never really got into mobile games as I despise ads and mtx, but this service does away with all that. It's fantastic.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I just launched the app store to get Grindstone and noticed that the newest Shantae game is available as well. I didn't expect that.

Hang on. It says "pre-release version exclusive to Apple Arcade", which makes me think it's a demo and that the full game won't be on arcade.

I was half wondering if this was going to be the case with Down in Bermuda as well. After three islands in the game it says more coming soon.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Is the DS4 dpad not supposed to work on every game? On Shantae it only recognizes the down input, and in Gungeon it either registers with some delay or don't work at all.

Analog works fine but for some stuff I'd rather use the dpad.

I just launched the app store to get Grindstone and noticed that the newest Shantae game is available as well. I didn't expect that.

Hang on. It says "pre-release version exclusive to Apple Arcade", which makes me think it's a demo and that the full game won't be on arcade.

It isn't the full game, but will be updated into it for free later (likely when it releases on other platforms). It says so when you launch the game iirc.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty dope, Grindstone actually supports 21:9 on macOS (I mean, it's just a slight blur of the map and the game doesn't benefit from it at all – but they thought about it, even though the external monitor Mac crowd, not to mention 21:9, is surely the tiniest fraction). Art looks gorgeous in 4K!

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Got 100% on What the Golf and now I'll finally move on to something else, lol. Loved the game.

Even though I got 100% I'm still missing one chest, but it's glitched. I looked on Twitter and the devs are aware of it, as soon as the update rolls out I'll open it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I like Grindstone but I'm like 75 levels in and still feel the game should've been 100 levels not 150. Too many filler levels that don't do anything new/repeat mechanics. Would've been better if it was cut down to the best stuff. Presumably it's padding to give the game a longer play time for a bigger payout. I also don't love having to pay resources to refill certain items. Makes me hesitant to ever use them. The Vine Sword is so good though.

jordn613

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Grindstone had a guide to each enemy type that included their name, how they can be killed, their attack types, etc. It seems like an odd and glaring omission.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was enjoying Hexaflip, until it decided to delete my save.

Both What The Golf and Hexaflip have done this by this point, and it's more than a little annoying.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It isn't the full game, but will be updated into it for free later (likely when it releases on other platforms). It says so when you launch the game iirc.
When you "finish" it, the game also informs you that your save file will link up with the full game when its released and you can still freeroam to look for collectibles you might have missed.

This is just a guess based on the sirens I encountered compared to the titular 7, but the current Apple Arcade version seems like 1/3rd of the full game.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Is Oceanhorn 2 any good? I want to check it out, but the blatant Zelda influence is turning me off.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Inmost, Stela and Decoherence look pretty dope :O Definitely gonna download them to my  Arcade folder of shame lol

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hi guys, got a road trip this week and saw the month free trial so I figured I'd give this a go, any must try games? How's LEGO battles? Chu chu seems like another obvious one

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Got one of the Pilgrims endings yesterday. It's fun and charming, but a bit half-baked; some of the puzzles are fairly obtuse, and using a card in the wrong place tends to result in a repeated animation I've already seen a dozen times, which doesn't exactly reward the experimentation that the game is ostensibly encouraging. I don't think I'm gonna bother seeking out the remaining achievements/endings.

new games
-shockrods
- Decohernence
- inmost
- mind symphony
-stela

Inmost and Stela look great, but they're both in my "waiting for the PC version so I can play it on a bigger screen with a proper controller" category (yes, I know iOS supports Xbox/PS4 controllers now, but it's a physically awkward setup on iPhone that I'd rather not bother with). Still, I'll try them out for a few.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, one of the best things about Arcade is how easy it is to get playing. Having to boot up my gaming pc or PS4, being bombarded with OS updates because its been a while, having to download patches for games etc has really put me off of gaming lately. Arcade gets rid of all of that basically with automatic updates and in its app-like nature (+ because it runs on the devices I use each and every day). The welcoming art styles and easy-to-pick-up gameplay of the games is just what fits my needs too. I was extremely skeptical when the first early impressions (way ahead of its launch in the Apple internal beta) came out, but I'm really enjoying it.

All I need is that new 128/256 GB Apple TV refresh lol, only got 1 gig left and I don't want to accidentally purge my infuse meta data :(

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
i'm assuming a lightning-HDMI adapter's output is too laggy to be worthwhile for gaming, right? there's a bunch of stuff that i'd like to play with a controller on a larger screen, but i'm not buying an Apple TV for that when I can buy the games in question on PC further down the line

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Inmost and Stela look great, but they're both in my "waiting for the PC version so I can play it on a bigger screen with a proper controller" category (yes, I know iOS supports Xbox/PS4 controllers now, but it's a physically awkward setup on iPhone that I'd rather not bother with). Still, I'll try them out for a few.
Not so awkward:

71uSd89BXCL._SL1484_.jpg

But I hear you about the larger screen. Some games are just meant to be played on a large display.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Not so awkward:

71uSd89BXCL._SL1484_.jpg

But I hear you about the larger screen. Some games are just meant to be played on a large display.

I consider that awkward, but if it works for you, then more power to you.

Anyway, Stela seems alright and controls okay via touch for what it is. Inmost's touch controls don't feel natural at all and I can't figure out how to get past the first room, lol. Very nice pixel art, though.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I finished Bradwell Conspiracy. There was conspiracy.

Hardest part was I kept forgeting throughout the entire game that small ledges you'd be able to get over in other games with a jump button can still be gotten over by making bridges.

I can't imagine doing the one section with timed puzzles using touch screen, but I've never really tried learning touchscreen fps controls. The PS4 controller clamp worked really well.

Seeing as that's the second game that hooked me after Shantae, I think I may be a rare exception that wants to primarily play console style games on this. Handheld is a comfortable way to play games, and it's more comfortable than switch because a ps4 controller is so much more comfortable to hold.

Last edited:

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
i'm assuming a lightning-HDMI adapter's output is too laggy to be worthwhile for gaming, right? there's a bunch of stuff that i'd like to play with a controller on a larger screen, but i'm not buying an Apple TV for that when I can buy the games in question on PC further down the line
I tried many games with a cheap lightning-hdmi and it works surprisingly well.
The image quality isn't nearly as good as playing it on an iPhone/iPad for sure, not sure about apple TV.
There's definitely a downgrade in visual and a little on the framerate.

I've enabled game mode on my TV to significantly reduce the latency and it's near perfect. Played Sayonara Wild Heart and got a bunch of gold rank.
But keep in mind that the black bar will be there because of the aspect ratio.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Having the same issue.
So, I went to "Manage Storage" under iCloud and saw that some game are saving to iCloud (namely, What the Golf and Oceanhorn 2) but some saves were not showing up (Sayonara, Jenny LeClue). I'm going to contact support for Jenny LeClue and see if it's a known issue.

When I open What the Golf on my Macbook it loads my save.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
My Apple Arcade game saves aren't syncing between MacOS and iPad. :/ Same iCloud account, each say "Welcome back xxxx" xxxx being the same nickname. Am I missing something?
Weirdly enough that happened to me twice with Bleak Sword on a single device ("welcome back", but the save was gone), and I didn't even switch between devices. Restarting the app worked both times and the save was back, but it was kind of annoying.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
INMOST supports the smart keyboard which is pretty cool. Didn't actually bother to test it with other games yet

Super spongy though, I think it has to do with some limitations that iOS imposes on keyboards

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I just discovered Mini Motorways. This game is so freakin' addictive. With its background music it's like meditation. I can watch the traffic flow all day, even if I screw up pretty quick.
Is Mini Metro the same? Never played Mini Metro.

mediumdave

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone had any issues playing What the Golf on an Apple TV HD? It won't even start for me, says it's compatible.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just discovered Mini Motorways. This game is so freakin' addictive. With its background music it's like meditation. I can watch the traffic flow all day, even if I screw up pretty quick.
Is Mini Metro the same? Never played Mini Metro.
It is, yeah. The aesthetic and sound is so good that it feels borderline transe-inducing or, like you said, meditation

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
So, I went to "Manage Storage" under iCloud and saw that some game are saving to iCloud (namely, What the Golf and Oceanhorn 2) but some saves were not showing up (Sayonara, Jenny LeClue). I'm going to contact support for Jenny LeClue and see if it's a known issue.

When I open What the Golf on my Macbook it loads my save.

Thanks. From my game list, Skate City isn't syncing across devices.

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
So I gave Mind Symphony—one of the new games yesterday—a try. It's supposed to be 'an experience that make [sic] you feel better.'

It made me feel miserable. I got stuck on a setting page with no visible way back to the main screen...and then I couldn't figure out how to play the darned thing.

Deleting it made me feel good, though.

Darkflight

Oct 27, 2017
Thought it'd be neat to have the vertical turn based games (my ideal phone games) up as a window on Mac, but this is Grindstone and you can't even resize the Card of Darkness window.

All games should work in a resizable window, I would be putting in bugs at work if this was what was delivered

EGtDEM4WoAIcMKW