• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Tried a couple of the new games.
* Redout: Space Assault is horribly optimized (big frame stutters even on my iPhone 11 Pro) and not very fun. Simplistic enemies and everything is on rails. A shame because I'd love a good Wing Commander-ish space fighter, but this is not really it. Doesn't really hold up as an on-rails shooter either.

* Super Impossible Road. If you like Wipeout or F-Zero GX, check this out. No weapons unfortunately and the track is a bit on the narrow side for my taste, but definitely gives that high-velocity feel (more Wipeout speed than F-Zero speed). The optional first-person mode accentuates that.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
So I gave Mind Symphony—one of the new games yesterday—a try. It's supposed to be 'an experience that make [sic] you feel better.'

It made me feel miserable. I got stuck on a setting page with no visible way back to the main screen...and then I couldn't figure out how to play the darned thing.

Deleting it made me feel good, though.
I didn't have that issue but Mind Symphony only has Apple Music integration. So it's basically useless to me. I wonder if because it's Apple Arcade they couldn't include other services like Spotify.

I also noticed on the Game tab of the App Store there's a section for top Apple Arcade games. I wonder what that's based on.

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
Apple Arcade has really reconfirmed how much I hate playing on touch screens. It's just not enjoyable at all.

Using my DualShock 4 on Apple TV is great though!

stepee

Jan 29, 2018
Could someone please provide the name/mode or Amazon link to a good bracket to attach an Xbox controller to the iphone? Preferably one that holds it tight enough that it holds it straight when laying back in bed - thanks!

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Enjoyed my first month. I probably won't sub on right now and wait a few months for an influx of games or hold out on a couple of crackers if they drop. Haven't been overly fussed with the last couple of weeks drops but it's great to try games I would never play otherwise.

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone please provide the name/mode or Amazon link to a good bracket to attach an Xbox controller to the iphone? Preferably one that holds it tight enough that it holds it straight when laying back in bed - thanks!
I have this, but it'll come down if you try to play on your back. Otherwise it's pretty good.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Enjoyed my first month. I probably won't sub on right now and wait a few months for an influx of games or hold out on a couple of crackers if they drop. Haven't been overly fussed with the last couple of weeks drops but it's great to try games I would never play oversize.
Fell the same. Will finish Sayonara Wild Hearts, play some more Grindstone and What a Golf, then cancel my sub. Will probably renew it when Pascal'a Wager hits Apple Arcade, tho.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Wow, Inmost, one of the newly added games, is a fantastic puzzle platformer. The first stage makes little sense on purpose, but I don't think it's a great introduction. It's also only like 15 seconds long.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with the seconds-long delay when inspecting stuff in Jenny LeClue? Game in general is just super buggy. It won't go past the initial author scene on Apple TV the other day, I continued on iPad, now the eyes of the characters glitch out. The controls are bad (text does auto unroll when pressing but there's an extra delay before you can proceed, leaving you completely disconnected and annoyed). It's too bad, it seems like something I would enjoy.

Feb 15, 2018
Gonna stay subbed for at least another month. there are games I am part way through that i don't want to lose access to yet, as well as a few new releases I have not had chance to even look at.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
What's up with the seconds-long delay when inspecting stuff in Jenny LeClue? Game in general is just super buggy. It won't go past the initial author scene on Apple TV the other day, I continued on iPad, now the eyes of the characters glitch out. The controls are bad (text does auto unroll when pressing but there's an extra delay before you can proceed, leaving you completely disconnected and annoyed). It's too bad, it seems like something I would enjoy.
I didn't have any issues with Jenny LeClue, but today Mini Motorways suddenly glitched all the time and now I can't even get it started anymore. Weird.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
For $4.99, this is basically an easy monthly purchase. Honestly, the price is too low. I'd love to see how developers are being paid.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Towaga: Among Shadows is underrated - its an Apple Arcade gem hiding deeper the platform library than it should be.

The high-quality animation and extremely fast, solid framerate make it feel extremely responsive, and it strikes a great balance in its tension -- you always feel like you're one second away from being overwhelmed, while still feeling powerful. I really liked it. Reminds me a little of Geometry Wars in that way.

The entire gameplay is you basically firing a MASSIVE beam of light out of your hand at aggressive shadow monsters... feels good.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing SWH and WtG lately. If I like them and want to keep them outside of Apple Arcade, will I be able to buy full standalone versions on the App Store?

Feb 15, 2018
Enjoying these on iPad. Am actually thinking about getting an iPhone 11 (the std one, not the pro or max). What sort of battery impact do these games have on average. For example, what % drop would you expect after an hour of Grindstone on iPhone 11?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Shockrods and Don't Bug Me are ehh.
Dear Reader is pretty great though for what it is.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm seriously enjoying Way of the Turtle, the game is really well made and paced.. it's basically my main focus now on Apple Arcade.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I finished Inmost. I don't think there's an OT so I'm hoping to discuss STORY SPOILER stuff here with anyone interested -- there's definitely some holes in my understanding of what happened.

So the basic plot is a man an woman get married, have a daughter, and the daughter dies (commits suicide?)
- Do we see this happen on-screen or does it happen off-screen? I played this all in one sitting so some of the early-game cutscenes blur together for me. I think we see her getting bullied?

After they lose their daughter, the Dad (finds? rescues?) a girl from a burning building, somehow. Her own parents are presumably dead. The Mom and Dad presumably adopt her, although from her perspective she thinks she's been "abducted" and is having trouble processing what happened to her. Or maybe they really did just take her, although that seems less likely.

The girl is mostly adjusting and recovering from her traumatic event, although she is understandably having a few behavior outbusts, and is experiencing some lingering psychological effects (as shown through the disturbing ideas her toy bunny puts in her head).

The Mom is NOT adjusting well at all. She ignores and physically/emotionally abuses the girl in escalating behavior. Eventually she experiences a complete breakdown and KILLS the dad and kills herself, in order to be reunited with their daughter that died.

The main character you've been playing as through most of the game is the Dad's own father. The end of the game shows him rush in to try and rescue the girl, after she runs away to escape the horrific scene. They tumble over the side of a building and both are implied to have survived, as he is shown elderly and she is shown grown up in one of the the final scenes.

The central message seems to be you don't need to take on and increase your own pain and suffering in order to ease someone else's; it doesn't have to be an exchange, which is what the Dad seemed to think. Instead you can just share in someone's pain with them.

That seems to be the gist of it. Things I'm not sure I get:

- Is The Knight intended to be Dad, and his violent journey metaphorical? If so I'm not really sure I understand it? He's battling inner demons, trying to "replace" his daughter with another (without much success?) -- represented by the heart he steals? Trying to seek out an vanquich as much pain as he can find, and take it upon himself? I don't understand the end of The Knights journey either, with the big boss fight and falling into the pit.

- I don't understand the pivotal scene with the main character, when he finally catches up to the White Fox, it turns into a woman, and then fades away.

- I don't really understand the core of the frame story itself. I'm not sure what it's meant to represent, how the world's backstory with the Seeker of Pain fits into it, what the main character's journey is meant to be depicting.

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Finally put together a "Best Of" for the platform! Let me know if you agree with our choices :D

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to like Neo Cab because I really liked VA-11 Hall-A, but it didn't really grab me in the opening chapter. I'm at the city now so I'll see if the conversations get more interesting.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My wife has beat Tangled Tower and Neo Cab (and liked them both a lot!) and is looking for more narrative-focused games on Apple Arcade, preferably something that plays well without using a controller. Any recommendations?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Thinking of making a thread, but the trial period should be coming to a close on Wednesday for folks that installed the GM. Keep an eye out on that if you're not interested in continuing the service.

Mine ends on the 16th, but I went ahead and cancelled it this morning before I forgot.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
SS_Decoherence_06.png

I just caught an article saying that Decoherence was released last Friday. Frozen Synapse fans owe it to themselves to check it out because it's the closest thing I've seen to a real time version of FS. I played it at PAX two years ago, I believe, before they announced any platforms. If it's even half as good as my first impression it's easily going to be the mobile strategy game of the year.

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
I finished Cat Quest II, fun little game. Doesn't really have anything new from the first one aside from co-op, but more Cat Quest is not a bad thing at all.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Trying to speedrun through everything before my trial ends. I was only a few maps away from beating Grindstone and then the app decided to stop functioning, not my favorite thing in the world. I did manage to beat What the Golf though (and Sayonara Wild Hearts) and that game where you put stuff together.

Any other essentials I should prioritize?

I have been playing some Outlanders but holy hell does it need some QOL fixes. Not being able to easily tell how many resources you have, not being able to see which citizens are hungry/unhappy at a glance, no way to change any of the settings, it feels like a prototype which sucks becuase the core gameplay is actually really cool.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I've been loving GRINDSTONE, but I got to a level (I wanna say 26 or so?) where I'm just banging my head against the wall and can't progress. Keep losing all my gems as I keep dying, go back and grind more gems to power up my powers and give myself health, and then die again. This feels like a brick wall and I feel too stupid to figure out how to get past it. The game feels like it was designed for micro transactions with a steep difficulty increase intended to get you to shell out $$ to get past it. But then they got the Apple Arcade deal and took out the micro transactions but it is still really difficult.

Am I just an idiot? Or did anyone else encounter this steep difficulty wall?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I've been loving GRINDSTONE, but I got to a level (I wanna say 26 or so?) where I'm just banging my head against the wall and can't progress. Keep losing all my gems as I keep dying, go back and grind more gems to power up my powers and give myself health, and then die again. This feels like a brick wall and I feel too stupid to figure out how to get past it. The game feels like it was designed for micro transactions with a steep difficulty increase intended to get you to shell out $$ to get past it. But then they got the Apple Arcade deal and took out the micro transactions but it is still really difficult.

Am I just an idiot? Or did anyone else encounter this steep difficulty wall?
I mean yeah, I struggled a bit around that level range but never felt it was unfair and I don't think I've spent more than 100 gems or so on lives in total (level 60 now). Don't be afraid to experiment with the skills and items or go back and 100 % earlier levels to unlock new stuff and gather resources if you didn't already. Also note that you can just kill the App before failing the level so you don't lose your lives and items in case you fail

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, I struggled a bit around that level range but never felt it was unfair and I don't think I've spent more than 100 gems or so on lives in total (level 60 now). Don't be afraid to experiment with the skills and items or go back and 100 % earlier levels to unlock new stuff and gather resources if you didn't already. Also note that you can just kill the App before failing the level so you don't lose your lives and items in case you fail

When you say 100% the levels, do you mean just get the 3 things (exit, crown, and chest)? Because if so, I have 100%'d every level to this point. If there's something more than those 3x items, the game doesn't telegraph it and I don't know how to achieve anything beyond. But yeah, I've drained all my valuable resources at this level and feels like I gotta go back and grind for 30 minutes just to try and power through this level. Just worried that even if I get past it that this is what the rest of the game is like.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I wish you could assign a folder for Apple Arcade to download games to on iOS. With so many games coming out, my home screen is a mess and it's a pain to drag them all to the right place.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any tips for the last
Super Meat Boy
level in What the Golf before I give up? I didn't play this game just to be subjected to the horror of having to play a game I already knew I was terrible at. If I can't find a way around it I'll have to be content with one crown missing, I guess.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Couple of dumb questions. I'm playing using and one one controller and for the life of me can't figure out how to exit a game to home menu without using my remote or how to turn off the controller without removing the batteries?

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
When you say 100% the levels, do you mean just get the 3 things (exit, crown, and chest)? Because if so, I have 100%'d every level to this point. If there's something more than those 3x items, the game doesn't telegraph it and I don't know how to achieve anything beyond.

I haven't figured this out yet either. I have multiple levels that have the blueprint icon, and getting all three of the other icons doesn't guarantee the blueprint. I have no clue how to get it and assumed it was a random drop.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I wish you could assign a folder for Apple Arcade to download games to on iOS. With so many games coming out, my home screen is a mess and it's a pain to drag them all to the right place.
I just wish Arcade was an app that had its own Library like Music, TV, Books... having to download each game as it's own separate app seems incredibly dated/backwards.
It's really off-putting and will worsen going forward when the number of games will increase massively.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
When you say 100% the levels, do you mean just get the 3 things (exit, crown, and chest)? Because if so, I have 100%'d every level to this point. If there's something more than those 3x items, the game doesn't telegraph it and I don't know how to achieve anything beyond. But yeah, I've drained all my valuable resources at this level and feels like I gotta go back and grind for 30 minutes just to try and power through this level. Just worried that even if I get past it that this is what the rest of the game is like.
Yeah, that's actually what I meant. Hm, not sure what to tell you unfortunately other than that I never found the game super artificially difficult so far :( The mid-20s stuff was definitely a temporary spike but nothing that would have put me off too bad (I think I even complained about the same level in the old thread lol).

Couple of dumb questions. I'm playing using and one one controller and for the life of me can't figure out how to exit a game to home menu without using my remote or how to turn off the controller without removing the batteries?
For Xbox, press and hold the Guide/logo button for two seconds or so to return to home screen and continue to hold it down to turn it off eventually

––
Definitely with y'all regarding the organization. On tvOS I figured out there's sort of a launcher when you start a game at least once (like recently played) but they definitely need to revamp the approach. No way to add titles to "Play later" or something is incredibly stupid. I'm fortunate enough to have a 512 GB iPad, so I just download everything that looks interesting for now so I don't forget about it but that's not an option on Apple TV or my phone.