• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
In what the golf when you're at the final stage is there any way to go back to the old stages? I have that glitch where I can't clear the final phase of the final stage and meanwhile I can't go back and play the other stages I skipped, so basically nothing left for me to do.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Mutazione is a neat game. Well, it falls closer to a "walking simulator" than a game as there really aren't any puzzles. Just talking to people and growing plants. But it's a totally chill game. The world and characters it builds kept me going.

Feb 15, 2018
Mutazione is a neat game. Well, it falls closer to a "walking simulator" than a game as there really aren't any puzzles. Just talking to people and growing plants. But it's a totally chill game. The world and characters it builds kept me going.
I like the look of this one, downloaded it the other night so think I will give it a try in the next couple of days.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely adore Apple Arcade but it has a problem with unfinished games.

There are several that literally just stop.

The worst is Way of the Turtle - it ends just before you enter the final region with "coming soon!" appearing on screen. Down in Bermuda stops after just a couple puzzle islands. Outlanders has just 7-8 total scenarios in it. Shantae is objectively just a demo. These two are less egregious since they aren't story-based games, but Mini Motorways and Tint are also clearly unfinished. Tint in particular is still tutorializing new puzzle concepts in the final couple levels.

Making a short game like Assemble With Care or Possessions is fine. But launching your story-based game without its ending is something else.

It's clear developers either figured out for themselves (or were explicitly told by Apple) to get something up for launch and then fill in the rest after.

I want to reiterate here that mobile games growing and changing over time is not the problem -- it's awesome and one of the best things about mobile. But a few too many of the ~25 games I've "completed" aren't complete at all.

Makes massive, full experiences like Shinsekei and Bleak Sword all the more impressive.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my controller mount for my phone, and have dived into (sorry) Shinsekai in more detail. Its delightful, a Metroidvania game that has a nice unique side to it - the underwater aspect of the game is a blast and makes the exploration in the game really fun, the upgrade mechanic that lets you go deeper feels like Metroid 2 and its mechanic for defeating Metroids to explore further.
Plus I stumbled upon the old Capcom emblem/mascot "Yashiki" when exploring the deep tonight. So props to the devs for putting together this awesome game for the Apple Arcade, some of the most fun I've had with the mobile platform in ages.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my controller mount for my phone, and have dived into (sorry) Shinsekai in more detail. Its delightful, a Metroidvania game that has a nice unique side to it - the underwater aspect of the game is a blast and makes the exploration in the game really fun, the upgrade mechanic that lets you go deeper feels like Metroid 2 and its mechanic for defeating Metroids to explore further.
Plus I stumbled upon the old Capcom emblem/mascot "Yashiki" when exploring the deep tonight. So props to the devs for putting together this awesome game for the Apple Arcade, some of the most fun I've had with the mobile platform in ages.
What controller mount are you using

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I've been playing Various Daylife since I like watching stat bars and numbers level up and the characters are pretty fun, and I finally managed to make it to the climax boss at level 39 who actually was a challenge compared to the rest of the game so far, since I wasn't prepared and proceeded to whoop my party's ass. Made me realize I could have just put the Cleric subjob with the Scholar subjob on the MC to have unlimited healing.

But what really stood out during the fight was something I never thought the game would actually make a plot point
in a calender-day-schedule based game, where Prince Aelfric and his minions rise from the dead each time you beat them, and comments on how much in-game time has passed since you started, (mine being 8 years) and reveals that none of the characters on the continent have aged or are capable of conventionally dying due to a curse placed on the continent. Now since I haven't beaten him yet, I don't have the full context, this kinda begs the question on why no one else brought this plot point up, unless there some old dialogue that has been missed.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Is Grindstone buggy for anyone else after the latest update?

I'm stuck on the boss level 45. No enemies are spawning for me. Can't progress at all since it's a boss.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Why would games on apple arcade not have cloud saves?? I just upgraded my ipad for this and my hour or so in Shinsekai save didn't transfer and I'd rather not start all over. Any way to manually move a save from one ipad to another if there are no cloud saves?

Every other game I've tried has cloud saves, so dunno what is up with this one.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

I'm pretty sure this was previously announced for Apple Arcade, but man, they're securing so many great games that are right up my alley, and so few of them are games I wouldn't greatly prefer to play on PC. but I'm still playing the launch games so I can't complain too much

finished Get Out Kids the other day. it's reasonably charming but the gameplay isn't particularly interesting and the story takes some weird tonal shifts that the art direction and low budget can't quite sell

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I just subbed today. After playing Grindstone on my iPad for a couple hours, I downloaded it on my phone and went to play it for the first time. When I opened it up, though, I found my progress didn't sync! What do I need to do for cloud saves to work?

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Okay, so I just subbed today. After playing Grindstone on my iPad for a couple hours, I downloaded it on my phone and went to play it for the first time. When I opened it up, though, I found my progress didn't sync! What do I need to do for cloud saves to work?
make sure you're using the same gamecenter account, itunes store and gamecenter account may be different.
i was frustrated about the save last time too and then realize I signed into a different game center on my ipad.

Feb 15, 2018
Finished Tangle Tower yesterday. I loved the aesthetic and the voicing, and the mechanics were pretty fun, but i didn't find the story very engrossing, and the variation on similar names just left me confused for most of the run time. But a very high quality game no doubt.

Started inmost last night. Seems graphically gorgeous, and the animations are top notch, but the touch controls feel very frustrating already (about 1hr in). I'm guessing a game pad would really help with this, but i am yet to find a convenient way of playing an iPad on my lap using a controller. And i don't have an iPhone.

Sub is due to renew tomorrow, i will be keeping the service as there are a number of games that interest me that i have not got around to playing yet.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I'm guessing a game pad would really help with this, but i am yet to find a convenient way of playing an iPad on my lap using a controller.

Heh, I'm glad it's not just me. Felt like a dunce not being able to figure out a comfortable position. I played through Sayonara Wild Hearts in one sitting with the DS4 and found myself trying out different sitting/laying positions every 15 minutes or so. It's just awkward.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I absolutely adore Apple Arcade but it has a problem with unfinished games.

There are several that literally just stop.

The worst is Way of the Turtle - it ends just before you enter the final region with "coming soon!" appearing on screen. Down in Bermuda stops after just a couple puzzle islands. Outlanders has just 7-8 total scenarios in it. Shantae is objectively just a demo. These two are less egregious since they aren't story-based games, but Mini Motorways and Tint are also clearly unfinished. Tint in particular is still tutorializing new puzzle concepts in the final couple levels.

Making a short game like Assemble With Care or Possessions is fine. But launching your story-based game without its ending is something else.

It's clear developers either figured out for themselves (or were explicitly told by Apple) to get something up for launch and then fill in the rest after.

I want to reiterate here that mobile games growing and changing over time is not the problem -- it's awesome and one of the best things about mobile. But a few too many of the ~25 games I've "completed" aren't complete at all.

Makes massive, full experiences like Shinsekei and Bleak Sword all the more impressive.

You mentioned Possessions, but it's another game that belongs in that category. Just abruptly ends after you complete the third act, no ending cutscene or anything.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I accidentally let my subscription renew even though I never really found any game on the service that I was very into. The only one that really clicked with me was What the Golf, and I think I'd rather just pay a one-time cost to have it forever.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I've renewed for one month but cancelled after that. I'll try to keep an eye on new releases but not much has grabbed me after finishing Grindstone and Tangle Tower. I'm hoping to play Inmost and maybe Pilgrims and Blackwell Conspiracy.

Feb 15, 2018
Heh, I'm glad it's not just me. Felt like a dunce not being able to figure out a comfortable position. I played through Sayonara Wild Hearts in one sitting with the DS4 and found myself trying out different sitting/laying positions every 15 minutes or so. It's just awkward.
Add a lap friendly cat in to the equation and you have a disaster on your hands....

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I cancelled, too.
While some games are good, the service feels very rushed to me. I'll keep buying premium games instead, but I hope arcade evolves so I can justify the subscription. I love the idea of ad and bullshit free games. Games for kids would be great, too. There simply is nothing they want to play.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Min
I cancelled, too.
While some games are good, the service feels very rushed to me. I'll keep buying premium games instead, but I hope arcade evolves so I can justify the subscription. I love the idea of ad and bullshit free games. Games for kids would be great, too. There simply is nothing they want to play.

I mean everyone has different tastes and different concepts of value so to each their own but I honestly am having a hard time fathoming this attitude. I've played Apple Arcade every single night and there's still cool games I haven't even loaded or tried yet.

You played all of these? These are my favs:

What the Golf
Grindstone
Tangle Tower
Chu Chu Rocket Universe
Dear Reader
Hexaflip
Bleak Sword
Inmost
Shinsekei
Where Cards Fall
Over the Alps

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I totally understand that the service is great for some. But it's not for me... And while there are some pretty good games on it (even if I don't enjoy them, that doesn't matter), many of the games don't feel like the 10€ games I buy normally. Hard to describe, sorry.
I really hope the service changes the world of mobile gaming, it's time.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything good on the MacOS version that plays well on it? I installed Handle With Care, but it was so clumsy not to use touch controls and I wound up finishing it on the iOS version (cross saves, that was nice).

I dunno, no biggie, but it would be cool to play something on my MacBook from the MacOS Arcade.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I have an ipad 6th gen, is now a good time to get the Apple Arcade trial or should I hold off? Is there any HUGE release coming to it anytime soon?

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Manifold Garden sounds like a banger. Any opinion how well it works with touch, or is it built with a controller in mind?

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
just tried Manifold Garden for a minute, and it's rough. Even on iPhone 11, performance is poor (it targets 30fps but has trouble maintaining it, even in the very first room), and visually, it's a sub-native-res jaggy mess. It's playable, but I'd strongly advise holding out for the PC or console versions instead.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
just tried Manifold Garden for a minute, and it's rough. Even on iPhone 11, performance is poor (it targets 30fps but has trouble maintaining it, even in the very first room), and visually, it's a sub-native-res jaggy mess. It's playable, but I'd strongly advise holding out for the PC or console versions instead.

That's too bad, the preview made it look interesting. Also not sure how they got flat-shaded polygon levels to be 3GB.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised by all the jagged edges and thought it must have been downscaling due to the age of my device (7+). Interesting that's not the case. Previews looked gorgeous but it's pretty ugly in action.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018

Aw man. That's super disappointing. Guess I'll keep it on the Steam wishlist after all.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
You mentioned Possessions, but it's another game that belongs in that category. Just abruptly ends after you complete the third act, no ending cutscene or anything.

It does at least feel mostly complete. Like I feel like the lack of an ending cutscene is intentional, not an issue with the development being rushed. Whether the ending is satisfying is a different question, of course.

buzzjive

Oct 31, 2017

Hey there. I've been working with Will on this to get it released. The game was originally made with PC release in mind and consoles are still in the works. In the meantime, Apple Arcade was interested as well and we pushed to get it to run on the devices that Apple Arcade supports. The PC version and the Apple Arcade mac version both have video quality settings which includes 14 presets (which can be customized further on those builds). From there, we basically took those presets and assigned them to Apple chipsets on iOS and tvOS. The iPhone 11 wasn't out as we made our submission builds and we just basically bumped it up one from where our current max was. Sounds like it isn't using great settings. We certainly plan to support the game extensively and will constantly look to improve the quality. The XR runs it pretty well and the iPhone 11 should definitely be capable if we have it configured properly. We will certainly look at that for our first patch.

As for the 3.1 gig size, the breakdown is almost 1 gig of audio - composed of a lot of dynamic music - and about 90% of the rest would be polygonal geometry for our 100+ scene files. Compressing the geometry any further than we are made things look pretty rough and compressing the built assets made the loading take too long for our world streaming. All platforms use the same assets.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Hey there. I've been working with Will on this to get it released. The game was originally made with PC release in mind and consoles are still in the works. In the meantime, Apple Arcade was interested as well and we pushed to get it to run on the devices that Apple Arcade supports. The PC version and the Apple Arcade mac version both have video quality settings which includes 14 presets (which can be customized further on those builds). From there, we basically took those presets and assigned them to Apple chipsets on iOS and tvOS. The iPhone 11 wasn't out as we made our submission builds and we just basically bumped it up one from where our current max was. Sounds like it isn't using great settings. We certainly plan to support the game extensively and will constantly look to improve the quality. The XR runs it pretty well and the iPhone 11 should definitely be capable if we have it configured properly. We will certainly look at that for our first patch.

As for the 3.1 gig size, the breakdown is almost 1 gig of audio - composed of a lot of dynamic music - and about 90% of the rest would be polygonal geometry for our 100+ scene files. Compressing the geometry any further than we are made things look pretty rough and compressing the built assets made the loading take too long for our world streaming. All platforms use the same assets.

thanks for the explanation and the transparency, and I figured the protracted development cycle might have been an issue. Hope you guys can improve it so those that want to play on iPhone 11 (I'd rather play it on PC anyway) get a better experience.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Being able to interact with devs directly is always a great part of Era. I figured a decent chunk of the 3GB might be audio after I wrote that.
I have an iPhone 11 Pro so I look forward to playing it once you've adjusted the presets!

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Manifold Garden - The jaggy graphics are jarring at first (XS Max), but otherwise the performance is fine. I do recommend a controller, but that might just be personal preference as I can't think of a single game I liked dual-analog touchscreen controls. The game itself seems really neat (played ~45 min). It definitely gives me Antichamber vibes, which is high praise as that remains one of my favorite puzzle games. This will probably the first non-launch game I'll dive into.

Pac-man Royale: Without matchmaking this game is useless. What do I look like? Someone who has friends?

Things That Go Bump: Mixed feelings on this one. The idea of tacking together household objects you find lying around to create a fighting machine is interesting. But combat itself seems to simply be about spacing and button mashing... I only found 1 other person playing online (if this game can have matchmaking, what's your excuse Namco?) and it was fun, for a game or two.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the Sayonara Wildhearts OST is so good, I love it :o
It's just too bad the tracks are so short

Feb 15, 2018
Finished Pilgrims today. Found it a bit disappointing to be honest compared to their previous works.
Started Manifold Garden. It's confusing as hell but it's certainly got my intrigued. I'm playing on a 2017 iPad 9.7 and it looks great to me, which surprised me from other comments I have seen about performance on more recent iOS platforms.