• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Grindstone is great until Cappy allows the AI to do things you would see in a free to play game without the free to play options. It totally disrupts the flow of the game when you start a level and have no combos of any real significance available, and you're either forced into a corner or forced to take damage.

Oct 26, 2017
Grindstone is great until Cappy allows the AI to do things you would see in a free to play game without the free to play options. It totally disrupts the flow of the game when you start a level and have no combos of any real significance available, and you're either forced into a corner or forced to take damage.

Id just use the teleporting or movement power ups on those levels.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished Atone and I'm absolutely blown away by it. Absolutely beautiful visuals and music, touching story, great puzzles, genuinely interesting and meaningful narrative choices.

The short prologue / cold open is a bit odd with the sketchiest voice acting in the entire game so get past that (until your playable character changes) and I'm sure you'll love it too.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished What the Golf. That game declines very sharply at the end, I think because eventually I just hit my tolerance for shitty random physics. I was doing pretty good getting crowns for everything until about zone #4 (so five or six zones in), and eventually just ran into too many levels where I knew in theory what I had to do but was completely unwilling to spend the hours it would've taken me to brute-force it. The Super Meat Boy levels broke me, basically.

There are other annoyances that I found really bad, like the first-person levels often resetting your view AWAY from where you were facing before, so if you need to retry a level a bunch of times you just end up spinning in your chair (and god forbid you try to do this on a couch, bed, or any other space where you can't spin freely). It just felt like such a fuck you that made the game harder just because. Some levels require such rapid swiping that I eventually had to use a t-shirt wrapped around my finger because otherwise the friction from the swiping was too painful to be effective.

I ended up getting 96% completion despite basically saying "fuck this" to anything remotely hard to do at the end of the game. I don't know if the game just took pity on me or something. Anyways, pretty disappointed at the downward spiral, because I really dug the overall concept of the game and most of the levels of the game.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
The only game I finished during my Apple Arcade trial is Sayonara Wild Hearts. Touch controls don't suit me well, but the aesthetic and soundtrack were enough to push me through the game.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I just wish I could buy Grindstone and Down in Bermuda. Because Grindstone is basically all I play now and Bermuda I'm just waiting for more islands.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I just got an on-device notification for the new games on the service, so they finally came around with that.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
mosaic: yet another game i've wanted for a while, but have very little desire to play on a phone with touch controls.

monomals looks interesting. anyone tried it yet?

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
mosaic: yet another game i've wanted for a while, but have very little desire to play on a phone with touch controls.

monomals looks interesting. anyone tried it yet?
If you've got one you can use a Bluetooth controller with these games. My main issue (most notably with Manifold Garden) has been the performance of some of these more 'console-y' games.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
If you've got one you can use a Bluetooth controller with these games. My main issue (most notably with Manifold Garden) has been the performance of some of these more 'console-y' games.
more power to those who love it, but a phone/controller setup is something i have zero interest in

though i am considering attempting to game via an hdmi adapter, but that depends on how bad the lag is

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
yea I was expecting at least one game a week to be playable one handed on your phone but instead they keep adding some truly awful looking platformers

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Rayman Mini finally - or as much if it as I'm going to play. The final boss requires you to 100% all previous levels and there's no way I'm doing that.

I liked it but it doesn't feel as special or polished as the previous Rayman touch games. All difficulty seems to come from trial and error level design. It's still SO beautiful and a lot of the stages flow nicely.

OP
OP
infiniteloop

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Nooo they fixed grindstone so you can't quit the app in the stage and get your hearts and equipment back.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Long shot but did anyone actually beat Redout Space Assault? I was breezing through it - it's quite easy - and now this racing mission at the end seems literally impossible. Space Canyon. I've hit every single boost ring and boosted myself when off cool down and still lost. Not sure what I need to do.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Am I missing something with Grindstone? I'm sitting on 800 grindstones only at level 80. Is there something else I can spend them on besides refilling items and hearts? A lot of the other resources are very low, but I'm swimming in grindstones. Is that the same for everyone?

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
Am I missing something with Grindstone? I'm sitting on 800 grindstones only at level 80. Is there something else I can spend them on besides refilling items and hearts? A lot of the other resources are very low, but I'm swimming in grindstones. Is that the same for everyone?
Are you choosing resources other than gems when completing challenges?

I have runned into the opposite problem, having to go back to grind gems.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Are you choosing resources other than gems when completing challenges?

I have runned into the opposite problem, having to go back to grind gems.

Never. I always just pick what I have the least of for challenge rewards.

I'm guessing it's because 2 of the 3 items I prefer don't require refilling, so I'm just offloading them into hearts and my final item. Maybe I'm weird, but I still prefer the starter shield and arrow.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm sitting on 1,2k at level 100 as well. Might be go down a little now that they have fixed the "exploit" where you could just kill the app and keep your hearts/items if you fail a level, but whatever. I also mostly used the non-refillable items and skills but I might start experimenting a bit now that I'm getting closer to finishing it.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Long shot but did anyone actually beat Redout Space Assault? I was breezing through it - it's quite easy - and now this racing mission at the end seems literally impossible. Space Canyon. I've hit every single boost ring and boosted myself when off cool down and still lost. Not sure what I need to do.

im in a similar situation but on the debris racing mission on chapter 3. Tried it almost 10 times and cant seem to pass it

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sonic Racing: As a big Sega fan, this was the main game I've been hyped to try alongside ChuChu Rocket (still waiting on that Mac version) and... lol. Just lol. This may be the most blatant and shameless case of turning a F2P game into a premium product that I've ever seen. All the same monetization and progression gimmicks from Sonic Forces: Speed Battle are here, except it doesn't cost money, so instead you just sit through endless screens of upgrading characters and collecting cards for no reason.

Worst of all, the gameplay is so bad that a braindead chimp could be proficient at it. I know it's made for mobile, but you literally just turn left and right to do laps around lifeless tracks while mashing the item button to spam the overpowered items that you pick up every 5 seconds. In all the races I played I only lost a single one early on to a no-lifer who had way better Wisps than me. Mario Kart Tour blows this out of the water, can't say I'm disappointed that it'll never make it to Android.

Biggest disappointment of Apple Arcade for me is this, I was expecting a cut down port of the console releases but this is terrible. As you said it obviously started as a f2p game that was hastily changed for apple arcade. Graphics are ok but the game is just no fun at all and the wisp system is confusing for me. Plus no proper single player mode or cups means I wont be coming back to it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Okay I've finally 100%'d Grindstone

What game next? Preferably something that doesn't require sound that's easy to pick up and play.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to cancel but I'm glad bc mini motorways is addicting. Can't seem to get past 300 but still having a ton of fun

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
New this week:

- Discolored
- Guildlings
- Sociable Soccer.

Guildlings looks interesting and designed from the ground up for mobile, and I might give it a shot soon. Discolored is up my alley but definitely a game I'd rather play on PC, and it's had a Steam page for a bit now.

There's also Marble It Up: Mayhem! and a narrative game, Takeshi and Hiroshi, the latter of which looks pretty charming. It's also billed as only being an hour long, which appeals to me.

On another note, I've started playing Where Cards Fall and been enjoying solving a few puzzles here and there, but howlongtobeat.com gives the length at 12 1/2 hours, which sounds implausibly long for a game of this sort. Is that accurate?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
more power to those who love it, but a phone/controller setup is something i have zero interest in

though i am considering attempting to game via an hdmi adapter, but that depends on how bad the lag is
I realize you may not be interested in this but a new Apple TV + Apple Arcade + a PS4/XB1 controller makes a pretty decent console.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Guildlings looks interesting and designed from the ground up for mobile, and I might give it a shot soon. Discolored is up my alley but definitely a game I'd rather play on PC, and it's had a Steam page for a bit now.

There's also Marble It Up: Mayhem! and a narrative game, Takeshi and Hiroshi, the latter of which looks pretty charming. It's also billed as only being an hour long, which appeals to me.

On another note, I've started playing Where Cards Fall and been enjoying solving a few puzzles here and there, but howlongtobeat.com gives the length at 12 1/2 hours, which sounds implausibly long for a game of this sort. Is that accurate?

it's pretty long, I've done 32 levels and am at 68%, and some of the levels will have you pondering a while if you don't use hints. I've used hints twice.

wish I had any clue what the story was about tho.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
New this week:

- Discolored
- Guildlings
- Sociable Soccer.

According to an Apple press release, there should also be these:

- Takeshi & Hiroshi
- Marble It Up: Mayhem!
- UFO on Tape: First Contact

And UFO ist celebrated as the 100th game in Apple Arcade.

Will be interesting to see if they keep continuing to add a handful of games every week and if/when older ones will start leaving.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Discolored, Guildlings, Marble and Takeshi all look good. Great week – though honestly, I already have a huge backlog Arcade folder on my iPad. My next iPhone definitely needs more storage, can't fit much outside of Grindstone on it game-wise since all of them are rather large.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hope some of you would like to give Marble It Up Mayhem a try, it's a ton of fun and I'm not saying that just because I worked on it :P

Eighthours

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hope some of you would like to give Marble It Up Mayhem a try, it's a ton of fun and I'm not saying that just because I worked on it :P

Is there controller support?

I'll definitely give this a try regardless, as I meant to buy the Switch version but then ended up not doing so because of the price vs number of levels thing at launch! I understand that the Switch version is to get the extra content in this version as an update, is that correct?

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Is Guildlings not working for anyone else? When I open the app it goes through the Apple and developer splash screens and then doesn't go past the loading screen.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I'll definitely give this a try regardless, as I meant to buy the Switch version but then ended up not doing so because of the price vs number of levels thing at launch! I understand that the Switch version is to get the extra content in this version as an update, is that correct?

There should be controller support, although I haven't tested with the launch version yet I'd imagine it should still work fine. The Switch and Steam versions should get everything this has as soon as we can get it there.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017

There should be controller support, although I haven't tested with the launch version yet I'd imagine it should still work fine. The Switch and Steam versions should get everything this has as soon as we can get it there.
Yup, the AA version has controller support and plays great. I wasn't sure if the Mayhem subtitle meant this was a mobile specific version, but maybe that's the name of new content? My only wish is that for some reason when using a controller there isn't a replay level button at the end. Not that jumping to the level select and right back in is hard, but... :)

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Takeshi looks incredibly charming but seems to be completely broken. As far as I can tell, it's literally impossible to progress past the very first game segment.

OTOH, Guildlings seems very, very polished and promising.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Takeshi looks incredibly charming but seems to be completely broken. As far as I can tell, it's literally impossible to progress past the very first game segment.
I thought the same at first so you might be making the same mistake I made... you don't need to throw out all 5 enemies, start with 1 and hit OK

Edit: Speaking of being stuck... In Guildlings I'm at a point I need to be a certain mood to open the third key but I'm not, and there seems to be no encounter or person to talk to I haven't already done. I have no idea how to change my mood...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I thought the same at first so you might be making the same mistake I made... you don't need to throw out all 5 enemies, start with 1 and hit OK

Edit: Speaking of being stuck... In Guildlings I'm at a point I need to be a certain mood to open the third key but I'm not, and there seems to be no encounter or person to talk to I haven't already done. I have no idea how to change my mood...

lol that really should be clearer

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy

OTOH, Guildlings seems very, very polished and promising.

I was stuck there as well for a while before realizing you don't have to fill all slots for monsters...just select one and press ok.
I played further and I can already tell I will cry at the end of it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Been following Guildings for a while so the launch this weekend took me by complete surprise, really excited to play it

One of the games i got downloaded from the latest batch!! love a good marble game

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I played through all of Takeshi and Hiroshi in one sitting and enjoyed it quite a bit. I added it to my Apple Arcade game rankings:

A charming, heart-filled Apple Arcade short story. The puppet animations, telling a story of brotherly love, were clearly made with loads of care. And the core gameplay - big bro designing a game for little bro that's hard (but not TOO hard) is original and clever. It's short, but doesn't overstay its welcome. It doesn't feel "too" short, as some Apple Arcade games do.

I also played through about half of Marble It Up on Apple TV and WOW. It is great. It's like a full-on sequel to the XBLA classic Marble Blast Ultra, which I didn't realize until now I was missing from my life.

UFO on Tape is ultra-short but also unique and fun.

And I haven't even started Guildlings yet.

Good week for Apple Arcade.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Checked out some games i had downloaded but didnt get around to yet:
Pac Man Party Royale: Was surprised to learn it was from Pasta games, was even more surprised to learn theres no way to just play with randos and you need three other people you personally know to swap a room code with. Guess im not gonna be playing this one lol

Star Fetched: This really felt like a flash game, and i dont mean just in how it looks (and tbh visually it fits that moniker more than most). Everything about how it plays feels just like a flash platformer from the early 00s. The controls that arent as tight as you want, and give zero feedback when you get hurt. The level design that feels like someones first attempt at making sprawling platformer levels that are nonsensically laid out and punish exploration with deadends and pointless alt paths more than rewarding it. The boss fights that follow a basic pattern while you blast them mindlessly. I felt like ive played this game dozens of times when I was killing time in a class when i should have been doing something else. What really brings it down though are the mandatory base defense sections at the end of every level where enemies constantly stream in from the edges of the screen and you need to maintain turrets. Went from "Yeah I could see myself plugging away at this over a dull weekend" to deleting after two levels (out of 8ish) because those base defense sections werent enjoyable at all.

Fallen Knight: I really like what its going for (its kind of like Mega Man X if i had to compare to anything) but some of the main mechanics were really clunky to me (the wall run and combat particularly). The level design from what I played also wasnt hooking me, just felt very basic with two enemy types kind of spammed thoughtlessly across the terrain.

Inmost: idk how this is supposed to go, but i started a new game, got treated to a controls screen that went over 3 different characters that went by way too fast to parse any of the information it was giving me, and then promptly made the first room unwinnable while trying to figure out the controls on my own (got onto the table without a stool i needed to reach a shelf or something but couldnt seem to get back down). Made a really bad first impression and with this weekends batch of games (which i havent gotten to yet) getting me to my phones storage limit I had no qualms deleting it after playing so little.

Monomals: After a string of duds this is the real deal. The premise is enjoyably zany (its a "fishing" 2d platformer where you play as a lure on a line going through water stages to collect a musical fish at the end of the stage which your dj animal can use as an instrument in the games music creation mode) but its backed up by every aspect of it being really strong. The gameplay is so much fun with zippy tight controls and well designed levels that each builds itself around a new mechanic (my favorite so far is one built around ziplines your lure can catch onto and hang from). The wacky cartoony artstyle is bright, saturated and really appealing with a lot of fun presentation touches (i love the simple stage title drop and the over the top catching monomal cutscenes that bookend the levels). The music is funky and catchy. Everything just gels together. I went back and played a few stages of the studios previous game Heroki which has a similar "float around" platformer conceit and Monomals is just a stronger more confident game. The music creation aspect is neat and I found it surprisingly not that clunky to use on a controller (although I imagine touch to be better). The online sharing aspects arent currently in so I didnt mess around too much with it beyond making one really bad song, but I hope its easy to just listen to random tracks people in this game make.

Planning to check out some of the newest games pretty soon but Monomals struck such a chord with me I just might stick with that for a bit.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone play and complete Dead End Job? It's a fun Binding of Isaac inspired twin stick shooter / rogue like. Fun if you have a controller at least.

I have a question about the ending though -

i beat the game and for story reasons it looped back around to the beginning again. Is there anything notably different if I were to play through again, or have I basically seen it all at this point?

It seems to be hinting at the experience being the same, just with minor story differences?

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Inmost: idk how this is supposed to go, but i started a new game, got treated to a controls screen that went over 3 different characters that went by way too fast to parse any of the information it was giving me, and then promptly made the first room unwinnable while trying to figure out the controls on my own (got onto the table without a stool i needed to reach a shelf or something but couldnt seem to get back down). Made a really bad first impression and with this weekends batch of games (which i havent gotten to yet) getting me to my phones storage limit I had no qualms deleting it after playing so little.

lol i had the same experience

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
So... how the hell do you beat chapter 7 of Takeshi and Hiroshi? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it took me 15 tries to even get to the boss of chapter 7. Only to die and have to start the whole level over. I just want to be done with the game, but it seems you have to push your luck in at least 3-4 rounds. So if the idiot soldier suddenly starts missing, you're fucked.

The game is charming and a cool concept, but extremely frustrating with its RNG heavy design.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
So... how the hell do you beat chapter 7 of Takeshi and Hiroshi? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it took me 15 tries to even get to the boss of chapter 7. Only to die and have to start the whole level over. I just want to be done with the game, but it seems you have to push your luck in at least 3-4 rounds. So if the idiot soldier suddenly starts missing, you're fucked.

The game is charming and a cool concept, but extremely frustrating with its RNG heavy design.

I went through this exact same thing. It's a pain.

1 black knight gets you enough points. You may need to dodge and Critical the last round.

1 red slime, 1 defender, 2 skeletons is another good one.

If you start a round not at full health, 3 green slimes on their own will deliver 40 or so damage.

For the boss, heal every round except when he summons a skeleton. Then lightning sword.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017

I'm stuck on a level at the end of the game. Escalation, in the very last set. It's a level with purple floors that flip over when you roll over them.

You reach a section early in the level with a ] very big vertical jump and a super-jump powerup in front of it, but even with the super-jump you don't have nearly enough height to clear the jump. I even tried (several times) to do a regular jump, then a super-jump at the apex of my regular jump, and still didn't have nearly enough height.