• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm stuck on a level at the end of the game. Escalation, in the very last set. It's a level with purple floors that flip over when you roll over them.

You reach a section early in the level with a ] very big vertical jump and a super-jump powerup in front of it, but even with the super-jump you don't have nearly enough height to clear the jump. I even tried (several times) to do a regular jump, then a super-jump at the apex of my regular jump, and still didn't have nearly enough height.

Are you sure there's not a platform you're missing? The only Super Jump in escalation is immediately followed by another platform with another Super Jump on it.

stepee

Jan 29, 2018
Inmost: idk how this is supposed to go, but i started a new game, got treated to a controls screen that went over 3 different characters that went by way too fast to parse any of the information it was giving me, and then promptly made the first room unwinnable while trying to figure out the controls on my own (got onto the table without a stool i needed to reach a shelf or something but couldnt seem to get back down). Made a really bad first impression and with this weekends batch of games (which i havent gotten to yet) getting me to my phones storage limit I had no qualms deleting it after playing so little.

Noooo don't give up! That section is not reflective of the core game at all. Just know that character can't jump and you just have to move things to get out of that room. Playing as that character is a very small part of the game and gets better and is important story wise later on.

The main part of the game is a kind of puzzle platformer and feels great with a gamepad. There is also another part that has you fighting with a sword and using a hook shot instead of jumping.

Once you get out of the room it's a beautiful game with a great story and great puzzle platform design.

It's one of my favorite games this year on any platform and so far my favorite apple arcade game. I highly recommend trying it again. I'll spoil what you do to get out of that room if you want!

And while I'm here I also want to give a shout out to Marble it up Mayhem. It's soooo good. I can't imagine trying for gold medals without a gamepad but plug your phone into one with a clamp and it's addictive AF and the sense of speed is perfect. I really can't believe the level of quality that apple arcade is still providing.

Now that it hit the advertised games amount I imagine the dam has got to burst at some point. I don't see how they can keep this up every week all year. At its current rate it would be at like 350 games a year from now. And they are getting so many high quality mobile exclusives it's almost hard to see how $5 from people is enough for what they must be paying. But maybe they really are just THAT serious about gaming now.

I do hope when they I assume eventually remove games (have they ever commented on this?) They give at least one months notice and also instantly make that game available for purchase.

Oh also BLEAK SWORD, PLAY THIS. It blows my mind how good this one plays with touchscreen controls for an action game. Somehow these insane madmen actually did it, they made a combat action game that feels great with touchscreen controls, I actually like it better touchscreen than with a gamepad, it just feels so fluid like a dance of sorts. It's probably the hardest game I actually like (I'm not that into Dark Souls type stuff). It helps that it's pretty easy to grind to get an advantage.

Yeah, Apple Arcade is my favorite thing to happen in gaming this year. The combination of it and support for console gamepads has swiftly changed me from absolutely never playing games on my iphone to doing so every day. They have done an almost flawless job of rolling this out.

stepee

Jan 29, 2018
Also want to say thank you to the OP for this thread. I mostly lurk here but this is the only thread I've ever followed on a board. Mostly because it seems to be the only place that people talk about the thing in gaming I'm most excited by atm.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I went through this exact same thing. It's a pain.

1 black knight gets you enough points. You may need to dodge and Critical the last round.

1 red slime, 1 defender, 2 skeletons is another good one.

If you start a round not at full health, 3 green slimes on their own will deliver 40 or so damage.

For the boss, heal every round except when he summons a skeleton. Then lightning sword.
Thanks for the tips. It took like another 10 attempts, but I beat the boss! The ending was a bit disappointing after how entertaining the game was up to this point. Overall I want to like T&H, but chapter 7 really soured me on the game. I spent over half my time on just that chapter. Which makes me wonder if that wasn't by accident to increase my playtime...

Probably been said already but holy shit Guildlings is incredible.
While I did play myself into a corner in Guildlings thanks to a bug (the box wisp that can help change my mood just freezes the game instead), I really liked what I played so far. I emailed the devs who said it was a know issue and that they are working on a fix.

So if you play Guildings don't be the completionist I was:) Leave an enemy around to help change your mood in a pinch... at least until the box wisp is fixed.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I haven't tried any of the games after the initial launch titles. Going on a flight soon and wanna load up on games. Anything real good in the dozen or so added in the last few weeks?

Actually, I did play through Pilgrims and it was great, so besides that one :P

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Beat all the SP levels in Marble It Up. Great game but the difficulty spikes up 50x in the final ~5 stages. It's ridiculous.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Marble It Up not a gyro based game? I'm not a huge fan of on screen touch controls at the best of times but this in particular seems well suited to gyro controls. :-/

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Guildlings seems completely broken for me. Played yesterday until you recruit the sister, returned to the menu and wanted to continue today and now all save slots are empty and I can't even start a new game

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Beat Takeshi and Hiroshi on the bus. Man, what a let down. The game starts off really strong: the claymation cutscenes are really impressive, the story about a big brother who wants his little brother to enjoy his shitty games is pretty endearing, and the core gameplay idea of building your brother a satisfying gaming session is pretty solid.

However, by the end everything shits the bed. The gameplay loops is fairly heavily RNG based, and while the first half of the game isn't too bad because it's quite forgiving (almost too much so), the last two fights are just bullshit. There's almost zero room to have a single sub optimal round because the satisfaction rating to pass is so high. So then you're constantly building risky fights to get the meter full, which means that if you get a single miss on your brother's attack, he gets fucked by the monster lineup and you have to start over.

Then the worst of it all is the fucking ending. Maybe it's meta commentary? Because it feels like they just didn't finish the game; ironic in a game about an unfinished game.

I'll spoiler tag it but it's seriously bad if you're curious:
Your little brother beats the big boss of your game and basically just says "Wow, that was a good game!" and then it cuts to credits. There is no actual conclusion or relationship building between the two brothers or anything.

Luckily it's only an hour or two long at most, but the end of it is such a headache I can't recommend it. Once you play through the first chapter you've probably experienced the best of it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Beat Takeshi and Hiroshi on the bus.
source.gif

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
lol yeah I got excited and thought for a second there was a beat takeshi game on the service

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Beat Takeshi and Hiroshi on the bus. Man, what a let down. The game starts off really strong: the claymation cutscenes are really impressive, the story about a big brother who wants his little brother to enjoy his shitty games is pretty endearing, and the core gameplay idea of building your brother a satisfying gaming session is pretty solid.

However, by the end everything shits the bed. The gameplay loops is fairly heavily RNG based, and while the first half of the game isn't too bad because it's quite forgiving (almost too much so), the last two fights are just bullshit. There's almost zero room to have a single sub optimal round because the satisfaction rating to pass is so high. So then you're constantly building risky fights to get the meter full, which means that if you get a single miss on your brother's attack, he gets fucked by the monster lineup and you have to start over.

Then the worst of it all is the fucking ending. Maybe it's meta commentary? Because it feels like they just didn't finish the game; ironic in a game about an unfinished game.

I'll spoiler tag it but it's seriously bad if you're curious:
Your little brother beats the big boss of your game and basically just says "Wow, that was a good game!" and then it cuts to credits. There is no actual conclusion or relationship building between the two brothers or anything.

Luckily it's only an hour or two long at most, but the end of it is such a headache I can't recommend it. Once you play through the first chapter you've probably experienced the best of it.

I found the core gameplay loop weirdly addictive for a short while despite its unfair reliance on RNGs, but when I realized there was no checkpoint before the final boss, I gave up and just watched the ending on YouTube. too bad the game isn't better, because the claymation FMV cutscenes are fucking adorable

been busy watching Disney+ but I'll get back into Guildlings at some point.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I found the core gameplay loop weirdly addictive for a short while despite its unfair reliance on RNGs, but when I realized there was no checkpoint before the final boss, I gave up and just watched the ending on YouTube. too bad the game isn't better, because the claymation FMV cutscenes are fucking adorable

Yeah I was actually enjoying the gameplay a bit in the first half of the game and was imagining lots of ways it could be expanded upon and be really cool by the end, but the way it actually plays out was just not good. The final fight/boss especially was extremely frustrating and I probably spent more time on that one fight than I did the rest of the game, constantly getting my shit kicked in simply because the hero character whiffs one attack at the wrong moment. And then the ending is just kind of a spit in the face after enduring the shitshow of a final battle to get to it.

Idk, the art and music in this game are lovely as hell, so I really wish they gave the final chapters (and the ending) a bit more polish so I could recommend it. It's kind of ironic how little control you have to getting wrecked to RNG in a game where you are supposedly in control of the game. I feel like if they removed the ability to the hero to whiff at all, and added it as a once-a-round button like crits and misses on the hero was, like half of my frustration would have washed away. It would have been a useful tool for controlling the hero taking a bit of extra damage when you wanted him to instead of being a random thing that fucks up your run. Additionally I think it would have been helpful if they added monster stats to the lineup select screen, like how much estimated damage your lineup/a monster would do, how much health they have, etc. I mean I guess you can eyeball that stuff yourself after enough trial and error, but it would have made the game a bit clearly and less of a slog; plus it makes sense that you would know all that considering you made the game and all.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm thinking of unsubscribing. Games are either story-heavy, or puzzles, or in general very attention requiring. I play games on the bus, and I'd just really like a more menu based RPG that would get off Gacha games, but there's nothing like that unfortunately. King's League 2 was the closest to that, but I've finished finished it and none of the new games excite me at all. It's a great service if you play these games at home I think, but for the casual commuter it doesn't really fill that specific hole.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Will this be the only game for today?
Almost seems like it? I mean, game subscription services like this devalue their goods like crazy but considering that certainly not every game is for everyone, two or three new additions of different genres per week would be appropriate I guess.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Do you get notifications from the service as something is added? I had a mail last week (only signed up last week) but it would be nice to get push notifications from the App Store or something.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Do you get notifications from the service as something is added? I had a mail last week (only signed up last week) but it would be nice to get push notifications from the App Store or something.
I got a push notification last week (I think, I posted about it here), but not today.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly annoyed that two games so far Jenny LeClue and Guildlings have basically ended part way through the storyline with a "we'll release more game some other time, thanks!" message.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly annoyed that two games so far Jenny LeClue and Guildlings have basically ended part way through the storyline with a "we'll release more game some other time, thanks!" message.
Ugh, really? I've played a few minutes of Guildlings and was intrigued, but I'll leave that for now if it's not a finished experience.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a bunch of games do that. Neither Way of the turtle nor Murder Mystery have received any content updates yet and they were launch titles. I don't want to sound like a dick because these are all indie games, but it for sure is frustrating.

fwiw, I cancelled for now. A lot of the recent games haven't clicked for me or had technical issues that stopped me from playing (i.e. Guildlings). I'll be back for sure when content drops for the above games or if there's anything that really piques my interest.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, really? I've played a few minutes of Guildlings and was intrigued, but I'll leave that for now if it's not a finished experience.
Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the game a lot, but yeah I was a little disappointed when I realised that I'd reached the end of "Episode 1" when no other indication of it being episodic or having staggered content updates was mentioned. If I'd paid for the game directly it'd be a lot worse, as it is it's just a little frustrating not knowing going in.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that 3 out of 5 games nominated for best mobile are from the apple arcada launch line-up. Quite the achievement .
Anyway, I voted for grindstone.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, they fixed Guildlings so I can continue as I was really enjoying the game until I hit a bug. The app store description does mention it's episodic, but I'm not sure how much is currently available.

Bradwell Conspiracy also finally got an update, but it seem like the UI still isn't hidden when using a controller. And the performance is still easily the worst of of any of the AA games I've tried. Maybe the next update...

Marble It Up though is quite good. I didn't expect such complex levels. I'll be playing this one awhile trying for medals (as I'm not very good...).

Hiroshi is a spoiled brat.

59uE5Md.png
Ouch. That sums up my experience with that game... and I was angry the time(s) I finish with like 485:(

Naru

May 11, 2019
Are most or even all games available with Apple Arcade exclusive to Apple platforms? Or is most of it available on PC too?

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
Are most or even all games available with Apple Arcade exclusive to Apple platforms? Or is most of it available on PC too?
It depends on the game. Mobile-centric games such as Grindstone and Card of Darkness are exclusive to Apple Arcade at the moment but games that are more akin to (indie) console games like Manifold Garden and Sayonara Wild Hearts are available elsewhere. I'd say it's probably a 50/50 split at the moment, but I haven't been keeping up to date recently.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying Grindstone but I can't help but feel it was initially developed as a F2P game. Having to recharge items between attempts seems to be primarily to support grinding (and MTX by extension).

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm enjoying Grindstone but I can't help but feel it was initially developed as a F2P game. Having to recharge items between attempts seems to be primarily to support grinding (and MTX by extension).
I know what you mean, but I haven't needed to grind yet. I can't always use my favourite items but I just use others or the free ones until I get more materials. Just passed level 100 so maybe I'll have to grind when I get near the end.

I love the poison arrows but I don't get to use them much. :(

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I know what you mean, but I haven't needed to grind yet. I can't always use my favourite items but I just use others or the free ones until I get more materials. Just passed level 100 so maybe I'll have to grind when I get near the end.

I love the poison arrows but I don't get to use them much. :(
You're way ahead of me then, at least I can hope that I don't actually run out but some of the items (like the bone shield and the ability to jump to any spot on the board) at the moment seem on the expensive side to replenish.

I do try and get all three items in a single run but recently I've started learning to GTFO when it's clear I'm going to struggle to stay alive.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I tried Sayonara on my ATV4K with a DS4 and the input felt a bit laggy. I didn't notice this with other games. Weird.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
You're way ahead of me then, at least I can hope that I don't actually run out but some of the items (like the bone shield and the ability to jump to any spot on the board) at the moment seem on the expensive side to replenish.

I do try and get all three items in a single run but recently I've started learning to GTFO when it's clear I'm going to struggle to stay alive.
I just completed the game, with every chest and crown. I didn't have to grind in order to do it.

The challenges are super grindy though. For example, I just cleared the "Kill 15 skellies" challenge and the one that unlocked next was "Kill 20 skellies". Just boring, so I think I'm done.

Kaim

Nov 27, 2019
The release date of Fantasian is still unknown, right?

My favorite game so far is still Inmost. Great game.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I tried Sayonara on my ATV4K with a DS4 and the input felt a bit laggy. I didn't notice this with other games. Weird.
The inputs felt delayed when I played it on a Mac as well. It felt like the character had a slow wind up for moving left and right, and it made it hard for me to react to incoming stuff. If you're not experiencing any lag in other games, it might just be how the game is designed.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Tried out Sonic Racing on a lark (recently got back into Mario Kart Tour and was in a kart racing mood i guess) and man I did not enjoy it at all. Dont know why they kept the team aspect from TSR because it just doesnt really register in this game and only doing 1v1 races is not exciting. The weird F2P style progression was also a turnoff

Naru

May 11, 2019
Tried out Sonic Racing on a lark (recently got back into Mario Kart Tour and was in a kart racing mood i guess) and man I did not enjoy it at all. Dont know why they kept the team aspect from TSR because it just doesnt really register in this game and only doing 1v1 races is not exciting. The weird F2P style progression was also a turnoff
I played a few rounds last week and thought it was kinda neat. No Mario Kart or anything, pretty simple in fact. The team aspect is weird though, same with the 1vs1.