• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't go as far as fargodog but I agree with that sentiment. Credit card aesthetic pride/shame is one of the weirdest extensions of our personalities into inanimate, meaningless objects. Credit cards becoming an extension of our personal aesthetic is an odd thing, maybe not the oddest thing, but more odd than other material extensions of our aesthetic.

I dunno. Shoes are meant to protect our feet but people spend hundreds of dollars to get this kind instead of that kind. If we accept aesthetic preferences for objects with uses other than fashion I don't see why we can discriminate.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat idea - but the benefits don't seem so hot. 2% back on Apple Pay purchases? Not great, but not bad either. It's very meh.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Is there a reason they cant just do a Samsung Pay type of solution here? Why the need for a card?

Samsung likely has a patent on its solution.

Apple Pay exists and came before Samsung Pay.

This is literally a credit card like you're borrowing money from Apple and they're making purchase interest off you.

Most people will be doing this on the phone via Apple Pay..... but much of America still doesn't have contactless payment, hence the need for a physical card. My thinking is that they won't even release the physical card when they roll out for other countries.

Samsung Pay works with all card readers.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This thing is gonna cause so many people to get in over their heads in debt.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Probably better. Apple seems to have leveraged a lot more consumer friendly practices in their terms of service compared to other credit cards.

But it's just scary to think how the Apple juggernaut will grow even more massive as they start collecting huge interest from indebted people. They bankers now.
to clarify, Apple designed the card but are not a bank and you will not owe money to Apple. This is no different than Amazon or a store like Best Buy having a credit card. It has their name because it rewards their customers, but a traditional bank is actually dealing with the payments and infrastructure. Apple is not doing something new and evil with money, they simply are making a new card with some cool consumer tools in the design.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This seems frivolous and unnecessary. I wish Apple spent more time and money getting more vendors to accept Apple Pay.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
The card is not. The card is for when you don't have an NFC enabled payment terminal and is a last resort. The NFC element is in the iPhone/Watch. There's also no numbers on it. If you want to use the card on a website, the Wallet app will generate disposable credit card numbers and CVV pairs for individual transactions.

I wonder why they couldn't have embeded the nfc on the other end of the card. Now the package is not recyclable unless you remove the nfc chip and sure as hell most of the people will just toss it in the recycle bin.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And so does Apple Pay.

Apple Pay (and Samsung Pay for that matter) doesn't work anywhere there isn't contactless payment (ie much of America) so this card is for that.

That's incorrect. Samsung phones have a device inside that simulates swiping a card. You can hold it up to a non-contactless reader and it will work. They also support normal contactless.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Neat idea - but the benefits don't seem so hot. 2% back on Apple Pay purchases? Not great, but not bad either. It's very meh.
That's literally the highest rate for uncategorized purchases on the market, matched in the USA only by Citi Double Cash for the major banks

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
to clarify, Apple designed the card but are not a bank and you will not owe money to Apple. This is no different than Amazon or a store like Best Buy having a credit card. It has their name because it rewards their customers, but a traditional bank is actually dealing with the payments and infrastructure. Apple is not doing something new and evil with money, they simply are making a new card with some cool consumer tools in the design.
Ah I see. So Apple isn't actually doing any of the lending. Fair enough.

Will be interesting to see them roll it out worldwide because they might actually partner with different local banks.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i am so confused with the title. What exactly is so smart about this packaging? i mean thats exactly how i would have imagine it comes in.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then why your comment about no contactless payment? If you can swipe a card on a device, you can use a phone to pay.

What I meant to say was that anywhere Samsung Pay will work, Apple Pay will work.

But in America in particular there are places where you can't use contactless payment of any kind, and therefore you can't use Apple Pay or Samsung Pay. So for America only, they need a physical card.

It's all trivial to me. Here in Canada I could use Apple Pay/Samsung Pay pretty much anywhere. I imagine they won't roll out physical cards to markets like this.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
I wouldn't go as far as fargodog but I agree with that sentiment. Credit card aesthetic pride/shame is one of the weirdest extensions of our personalities into inanimate, meaningless objects. All of it is absurd to a degree, but I can understand how certain things are fashionable/extensions of ourselves... The clothes you wear, the car you drive, maybe the phone you use, etc., there's all a level of absurdity to it... but Credit cards becoming an extension of our personal aesthetic is an odd thing, maybe not the oddest thing, but more odd than other material extensions of our aesthetic.

Probably because of what credit cards represent. Ultimately credit cards represent the requirement to borrow money for something that we don't have at that time. Even if you use your card smartly, always pay it off, use it for the points, etc., credit cards wouldn't exist if the majority of the credit was responsible credit, and so ultimately they represent some type of financial irresponsibility (and I know, borrowing isn't necessarily irresponsible, most borrowing is responsible, but credit cards are probably the most common example of irresponsible borrowing)... And so it's odd that we've turned an object of financial irresponsibility into a fashionable extension of ourselves that we're proud of.

But, still, fuck me I want the heaviest card when we all throw them down at a restaurant.
- when the uber card first came out (it's all black with multicolor accent dots) i got complimented constantly while paying with it from cashiers/waiters and even people i'm with. "What card is that? it looks really cool etc etc"
- whenever i use my business Amex card, it always gets stares and comments because of the eye catching centurion in the middle
- first time i used apple pay from my watch in 2015, the cashier called over her coworker to take a look at what i did and constant "that's really cool" from many people at stores

any time something out of the ordinary is used as a payment method, it gets attention. so no, it's not that strange

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, look at that subtle off-white colouring. The tasteful thickness of it it. My God it even has the Apple Logo

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. Shoes are meant to protect our feet but people spend hundreds of dollars to get this kind instead of that kind. If we accept aesthetic preferences for objects with uses other than fashion I don't see why we can discriminate.

Sorry I added to my post about what credit cards represent. I had to think about why credit card fashion is one of the oddest fashions, and I think I figured out why to me.

I'm trying to think of another thing that people have pride/shame over that is ultimately a symbol of irresponsibility, and I can't think of one. Most things that are fashionable have some origin in practical, positive utility: A Dolce & Gabbana hang bag ultimately can be reduced to some positive utility; expensive shoes can ultimately be reduced to some positive utility... e.g., Hand bags carry stuff, shoes protect your feet. Now, sure, all fashion is absurd to a degree, but at least those things are positive utilities, that over time become extensions of ourselves. Credit cards, at base, are objects of irresponsibility (they have to be, or else banks wouldn't extend credit cards because they wouldn't be profitable; all the banks would lose money), they're negative utilities, but they've become positive extensions of ourselves. I'm really trying to think of anything else that is a negative utility that someone would want to extend their personality onto, and I can't think of one off hand.

Maybe like a very ornate smoking pipe, long cigarette holder, or heroin needle, like one of those old school fancy heroin/opiate needles from the 20th century or the ~1920s women's cigarette holders for smoking. Ultimately that thing has negative utility, it's a device that shows off your addiction to something, but someone might turn it into an object of fashion as a proud extension of themselves. But, even those probably don't qualify because those addictions weren't generally seen as negative back when an ornate heroin needle or fancy cigarette holder was fashionable.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see your point, it's actually a Goldman Sachs card. But won't they get some fat cut of the interest anyway? Same difference. They gonna be rich.

Not sure what the arrangements for branded rewards card usually are. Could be some portion of interest or a flat fee based on users or something.

This is an incredibly naive view.

No it isn't. Credit cards do not imply debt. Further, debt doesn't imply unmanageable debt.

And if we're gonna get upset over fashionable things causing financial issues for irresponsible people, there are a nearly infinite number of examples. Good looking cars, nice hand bags, fancy furniture, and on and on.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
No it isn't. Credit cards do not imply debt. Further, debt doesn't imply unmanageable debt.

And if we're gonna get upset over fashionable things causing financial issues for irresponsible people, there are a nearly infinite number of examples. Good looking cars, nice hand bags, fancy furniture, and on and on.

Do y'kmow how people get into debt buying that stuff? Credit cards.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
- when the uber card first came out (it's all black with multicolor accent dots) i got complimented constantly while paying with it from cashiers/waiters and even people i'm with. "What card is that? its looks really cool etc etc"
- whenever i use my business Amex card, it always gets stares and comments because of the eye catching centurion in the middle
- first time i used apple pay from my watch in 2015, the cashier called over her coworker to take a look at what i did and constant "that's really cool" from many people at stores

any time something out of the ordinary is used as a payment method, it gets attention. so no, it's not that strange

I get it, and I tried to convey that at the end ("fuck me I want the heaviest card" type thing)... I have a pride in my stupid metal black credit card. But thinking about it I think it's one of the oddest things to become fashionable because at base, a credit card is a negative utility... It shows that you have to borrow money to pay for something you want. I'm struggling to think of anything else that has pride/shame attached to it, that is fashionable, that ultimately conveys a negative message about you at base.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Does it work with readers where you have to dip the card, like gas stations?

I don't drive so haven't had a chance to try it, but it has worked on every mag stripe reader I've come across so far.

What I meant to say was that anywhere Samsung Pay will work, Apple Pay will work.

But in America in particular there are places where you can't use contactless payment of any kind, and therefore you can't use Apple Pay or Samsung Pay. So for America only, they need a physical card.

It's all trivial to me. Here in Canada I could use Apple Pay/Samsung Pay pretty much anywhere. I imagine they won't roll out physical cards to markets like this.

But Samsung Pay doesn't require a special contactless terminal to work. That's the point.

If Apple Pay can do everything Samsung Pay can do, as you state, then there should be no need to worry about contactless. If Apple Pay is limited to contactless readers only, then my original comment stands.

Oct 25, 2017
This thing is gonna cause so many people to get in over their heads in debt.
Those people are already in debt.

This is just a way for people with discipline to get 3% discounts on Apple gear and IAP. If you can't use a credit card without getting into debt you shouldn't be getting a credit card at all (and if you're looking for general rewards there are better cards. I'm going to get one probably just for my Apple-related purchased only.)

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But Samsung Pay doesn't require a special contactless terminal to work. That's the point.

If Apple Pay can do everything Samsung Pay can do, as you state, then there should be no need to worry about contactless. If Apple Pay is limited to contactless readers only, then my original comment stands.
How do you use your Samsung Pay with a POS terminal that doesn't have contactless payment?

You don't.

Both Apple Pay and Samsung Pay use the same type of generic NFC POS terminal. They're exactly the same thing.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you use your Samsung Pay with a POS terminal that doesn't have contactless payment?

You don't.

Both Apple Pay and Samsung Pay use the same type of generic NFC POS terminal.

Wrong.

To fix the problem of ensuring that more stores will take mobile payments, Samsung turned to a clever piece of technology that lets you pay at most any terminal where you can swipe a credit card. The trick comes thanks to a tiny coil that shoots out the same magnetic code that those readers normally get from your credit card. It's called "Magnetic Secure Transmission," or MST; it's built into the Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+, and Note 5. As with other mobile wallets, Samsung Pay can also let you pay with NFC and it will store loyalty cards and gift cards.

Their phones have been doing it for 4 years

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I added to my post about what credit cards represent. I had to think about why credit card fashion is one of the oddest fashions, and I think I figured out why to me.

I'm trying to think of another thing that people have pride/shame over that is ultimately a symbol of irresponsibility, and I can't think of one. Most things that are fashionable have some origin in practical, positive utility: A Dolce & Gabbana hang bag ultimately can be reduced to some positive utility; expensive shoes can ultimately be reduced to some positive utility... e.g., Hand bags carry stuff, shoes protect your feet. Now, sure, all fashion is absurd to a degree, but at least those things are positive utilities, that over time become extensions of ourselves. Credit cards, at base, are objects of irresponsibility (they have to be, or else banks wouldn't extend credit cards because they wouldn't be profitable; all the banks would lose money), they're negative utilities, but they've become positive extensions of ourselves. I'm really trying to think of anything else that is a negative utility that someone would want to extend their personality onto, and I can't think of one off hand.

Maybe like a very ornate smoking pipe, long cigarette holder, or heroin needle, like one of those old school fancy heroin/opiate needles from the 20th century or the ~1920s women's cigarette holders for smoking. Ultimately that thing has negative utility, it's a device that shows off your addiction to something, but someone might turn it into an object of fashion as a proud extension of themselves. But, even those probably don't qualify because those addictions weren't generally seen as negative back when an ornate heroin needle or fancy cigarette holder was fashionable.

Woah woah...symbol of irresponsibility? A credit card used properly, especially a rewards credit card, can be a powerful financial tool. Rewards can literally earn you money and other things, and debt used smartly is very very useful. Of course people find themselves in a bad spot if they do something silly, but there are millions of people out there using them well.

Do y'kmow how people get into debt buying that stuff? Credit cards.

Plenty of people with no credit cards struggle financially because they prioritize poorly.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017

Anywhere where NFC is available, but Samsung Pay works almost everywhere no matter if they have contactless payment or not (which Apple Pay can't). It spoofs the machine to think you swiped a card. The few places where that doesn't work is gas stations and similar where you need to feed the card into it. So Samsung pay would work for most people in the US.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

You don't.

Both Apple Pay and Samsung Pay use the same type of generic NFC POS terminal. They're exactly the same thing.
You can actually use Samsung pay without a contactless NFC reader. They own a mag stripe simulating technology that sends a mag stripe signal to a normal card swiper. So if NFC is unavailable, Samsung Pay often still works.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
I get it, and I tried to convey that at the end ("fuck me I want the heaviest card" type thing)... I have a pride in my stupid metal black credit card. But thinking about it I think it's one of the oddest things to become fashionable because at base, a credit card is a negative utility... It shows that you have to borrow money to pay for something you want. I'm struggling to think of anything else that has pride/shame attached to it, that is fashionable, that ultimately conveys a negative message about you at base.
because it does not, especially exclusive higher end cards.

those convey status. as it means you have a good credit score, which is usually attained from having a good income, probably a house/car, on time payment history and the fact that your money is mostly likely from a legit source

when you pull out a bundle of 1s and 5s from your pocket.....that looks sketchy for obvious reasons. Even if it's from a legitimate source, people are quick to judge.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada

You don't.

What Syriel has been trying to explain repeatedly to you is that yes, Samsung Pay does work on generic point-of-sale terminals. It emulates the magnetic strip on a traditional card by emitting a signal that the generic terminal can read.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now you're making the argument that irresponsibility is the reason people struggle with debt? Which is completely ancillary to the original point.

Whoo boy.

Are you suggesting Apple rewards credit cards are used by people to buy groceries? This is a branded rewards card for expensive consumer electronics.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anywhere where NFC is available, but Samsung Pay works almost everywhere no matter if they have contactless payment or not (which Apple Pay can't). It spoofs the machine to think you swiped a card. The few places where that doesn't work is gas stations and similar where you need to feed the card into it. So Samsung pay would work for most people in the US.
You can actually use Samsung pay without a contactless NFC reader. They own a mag stripe simulating technology that sends a mag stripe signal to a normal card swiper. So if NFC is unavailable, Samsung Pay often still works.
Ah I see. I stand corrected. That's the little detail I needed explained because I was thinking "if you can't shove your phone into a card slot how exactly do you have any method but NFC"?

Well then in that case Samsung does have a better method than a physical card to handle legacy POS. But swiping's on its way out eventually (gone everywhere but USA)

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why they couldn't have embeded the nfc on the other end of the card.

Because then anyone could activate the card on an iOS device if they had physical possession of the card?

The whole point of the Apple Card is to minimize the number of people who have access to anything. Nobody has access to the card number, all transactions are tokenized, disposable card numbers for CNP transactions.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Because then anyone could activate the card on an iOS device if they had physical possession of the card?

The whole point of the Apple Card is to minimize the number of people who have access to anything. Nobody has access to the card number, all transactions are tokenized, disposable card numbers for CNP transactions.

Anyone could activate the card since it's on the package. Once activated, another attempt at activation should just be denied. I mean it's not that different from someone picking up the packaging from trash and try to activate it?