• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sources say the packaging is NFC tagged so that simply holding your unlocked iPhone up to the packaging activates and pairs the card to your Wallet.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, that actually looks a bit sad. Like those 'pre-approved' credit card spam we receive.

The card also doesn't look as nice as the reveal photos, especially the back of it.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The card is definitely cool looking... but I think it's really a stopgap solution for the few places that don't take contactless payment (ie America).

The real card is the digital card in the phone.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that design is hideous. also, I don't know what problem it's supposed to solve. CCs are already ultra portable as it is

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason they cant just do a Samsung Pay type of solution here? Why the need for a card?

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
That's one ugly piece of packaging. I was really impressed on receiving a Revolut card.

giphy.gif

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a reason they cant just do a Samsung Pay type of solution here? Why the need for a card?
Apple Pay exists and came before Samsung Pay.

This is literally a credit card like you're borrowing money from Apple and they're making purchase interest off you.

Most people will be doing this on the phone via Apple Pay..... but much of America still doesn't have contactless payment, hence the need for a physical card. My thinking is that they won't even release the physical card when they roll out for other countries.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Pay exists and came before Samsung Pay.

This is literally a credit card like you're borrowing money from Apple and they're making purchase interest off you.

Most people will be doing this on the phone via Apple Pay..... but much of America still doesn't have contactless payment, hence the need for a physical card. My thinking is that they won't even release the physical card when they roll out for other countries.

Oh I thought it was just a new POS system. An actual Apple credit card is.... interesting

Also, I wasnt trying to "did it first" or anything, I was just curious because ive never needed to use a card with Samsung Pay since it does things differently than Apple Pay, and i thought this was their "solution" to that

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are card companies here in the UK that do the NFC activation thing. You just tap the physical card the same way you would with contactless payment.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Am I missing something? It's a card in a box
Maybe I'm a loser but this is the first time I've seen a card arrive in a package you just touch your phone to for activation and pairing to the wallet
There are card companies here in the UK that do the NFC activation thing. You just tap the physical card the same way you would with contactless payment.
Oh neat, I haven't seen this before in America

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Personal attacks against another member, history of antagonistic behavior in similar topics
Oh, yeah maybe you didn't see this:

WAcGHl5.png

SMARTEST PACKAGING EVER

OP is a known Apple shill. I don't get it either but I guess s/he needs to feel the sense of superiority after paying an exuberant amount of money for Apple products. Keep it up BAD, this is just the packaging pls try again when Apple does something actually noteworthy and revolutionary.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I pay contact-less since ~2016 in Germany, and below 25 Euro you don't even have to approve anything -- better have NFC blocking layers in your wallet!
This is similar I assume?

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't usually say this but... cringe, brah.

Credit card wars gonna be a thing now smh. That card is nothing special.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is that any better or worse than being a debt slave to Discover?
Probably better. Apple seems to have leveraged a lot more consumer friendly practices in their terms of service compared to other credit cards.

But it's just scary to think how the Apple juggernaut will grow even more massive as they start collecting huge interest from indebted people. They bankers now.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Why bother making the packaging NFC enabled, surely the card already is?

The card is not. The card is for when you don't have an NFC enabled payment terminal and is a last resort. The NFC element is in the iPhone/Watch. There's also no numbers on it. If you want to use the card on a website, the Wallet app will generate disposable credit card numbers and CVV pairs for individual transactions.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A gentle shrug and utterance "well that's good I guess" should be the absolute limit in terms of praise this receives. It's a smart feature and it sounds like it's integrated well but let's not lose sight of how minor this is in the grand scheme of things.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't go as far as fargodog but I agree with that sentiment. Credit card aesthetic pride/shame is one of the weirdest extensions of our personalities into inanimate, meaningless objects. All of it is absurd to a degree, but I can understand how certain things are fashionable/extensions of ourselves... The clothes you wear, the car you drive, maybe the phone you use, etc., there's all a level of absurdity to it... but Credit cards becoming an extension of our personal aesthetic is an odd thing, maybe not the oddest thing, but more odd than other material extensions of our aesthetic.

Probably because of what credit cards represent. Ultimately credit cards represent the requirement to borrow money for something that we don't have at that time. Even if you use your card smartly, always pay it off, use it for the points, etc., credit cards wouldn't exist if the majority of the credit was responsible credit, and so ultimately they represent some type of financial irresponsibility (and I know, borrowing isn't necessarily irresponsible, most borrowing is responsible, but credit cards are probably the most common example of irresponsible borrowing)... And so it's odd that we've turned an object of financial irresponsibility into a fashionable extension of ourselves that we're proud of.

But, still, fuck me I want the heaviest card when we all throw them down at a restaurant.

Last edited:

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably better. Apple seems to have leveraged a lot more consumer friendly practices in their terms of service compared to other credit cards.

But it's just scary to think how the Apple juggernaut will grow even more massive as they start collecting huge interest from indebted people. They bankers now.

Apple isn't a bank now any more than Amazon or Best Buy are. It's an Apple rewards card from an actual bank.

Debt is not sexy and shouldn"t be made to look cool and appealing, especially to younger people.

Credit cards don't imply debt. Especially rewards cards.