• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I applied for a Capital One card today and got accepted. I figured I'd apply for this and see if I was accepted. I was. Should I accept? Will my credit score take a hit if I get approved for two cards in a day

Your credit was already hit with the checks. Two brand new credit cards can bring down your average age (an important value of score).

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using the card everyday in replace of my debit. A lot of stores around me and that I go to accept Apple Pay which is great. I will probably use the capital one card for any stores that don't take Apple Pay so to get the 1.5% cash back. Had no issues applying and getting approved.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
What's the average interest rate on these if your score is between 790-810?

Odds are I will pay it off once I can to avoid those rates anyways but still curious.

Edit - Read site and I think I answered my own question. I should end up near the bottom with 12.99%. No way they would hit me higher than that.

Currently I only own one active credit card and it's the same ones I've had since I was like 18-19 years old, so around 16 years ago and I barely owe anything on it and was planning to close it soon.

Last edited:

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Went to the gym and forgot my wallet so I signed up for the card to have something tied to my phone in situations like this.

It's very well thought out in terms of interface and relevant data.

The due date is right up top, the transactions are broken down with how much percentage cash back you receive, and your purchase category breakdown is just a click away.

This is what I wished apps like mint were more like.

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all. I'm considering the Apple Card. This thread's been really useful as a resource for it, so thanks for the information! I know there's better rate of rewards for other credit cards, but the daily cash concept is appealing for me. I have to wait to redeem rewards on my most-used card at $25. And I'm planning finally updating my old iPhone anyway, so that'd be 3% right away when I update, presumably.

I have a good credit score right now, and a handful of credit cards. Very little in the way of debt - credit card or otherwise. Primarily just my mortgage payments each month. Will I take a hit on my credit score for applying for/getting this card? The balance offered is the lowest I'd have, and the interest rate is good, not great. $4700 limit/17.99% rate if it matters. Should I go ahead and get this, in your opinion?

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all. I'm considering the Apple Card. This thread's been really useful as a resource for it, so thanks for the information! I know there's better rate of rewards for other credit cards, but the daily cash concept is appealing for me. I have to wait to redeem rewards on my most-used card at $25. And I'm planning finally updating my old iPhone anyway, so that'd be 3% right away when I update, presumably.

I have a good credit score right now, and a handful of credit cards. Very little in the way of debt - credit card or otherwise. Primarily just my mortgage payments each month. Will I take a hit on my credit score for applying for/getting this card? The balance offered is the lowest I'd have, and the interest rate is good, not great. $4700 limit/17.99% rate if it matters. Should I go ahead and get this, in your opinion?

It will hit you for a little bit. How long have you had an established credit history for?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Even with score of 796 I'm getting a 17.99% rate on a $8,500 limit. Gross, however I won't ever get hit with it since I would only be using this for essentials and paying it off right away.

Current credit age is showing at 6 years and 9 months. No doubt due to me buying my house 6 years ago and then financing a car this year.

I have 3 open accounts with debt. Mortgage which is like $170k left, the car which is $18k and my old credit card which has like $700 on it that will be paid off in a month or so before I close it. It gets me no type of rewards or anything.

I wonder what you require in order to get a rate closer to 13-15%.

Last edited:

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
If someone could answer I have a couple of questions.

Let's say I buy something and use Apple Pay, I assume I get 2% back. Now if I spend it on prescriptions at Walgreens now I would get 3%. Okay, I get that part.

Now I'll have a balance. What if I pay off that balance using Apple Pay? Do I earn cash again and if so would it be at 2% or 3%?

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017

Let's say I buy something and use Apple Pay, I assume I get 2% back. Now if I spend it on prescriptions at Walgreens now I would get 3%. Okay, I get that part.

Now I'll have a balance. What if I pay off that balance using Apple Pay? Do I earn cash again and if so would it be at 2% or 3%?

you need a bank account to pay it off, you can't pay it off by Apple Pay, but you can use your Apple Pay Cash amount.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

You only earn on the initial purchases. You pay off the balance using your bank account and your Apple Cash balance.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
you need a bank account to pay it off, you can't pay it off by Apple Pay, but you can use your Apple Pay Cash amount.

Yeah that's what I would do. I would connect my bank account to the Apple Cash account to move money over when ready to pay off my monthly balance. I already have that accounts debit card in my apple wallet.

I was just curious if paying with that Apple Pay Cash account would also bring benefits.

Edit - Another question. If I buy IAP in a game on my iPhone with the Apple Pay Cash account would I get 3%? Or if I bought an app from the AppStore with money from that Apple Pay Cash account?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
By 2020 I could be getting a new iMac, iPad, and iPhone. Is using this card the best option for buying those?

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
By 2020 I could be getting a new iMac, iPad, and iPhone. Is using this card the best option for buying those?
Not necessarily... Amazon Prime members get 5% back on the Prime Visa and many Apple products are officially sold there

also some cards have portals for Apple online purchases that might be just as high

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If they just made all Apple Pay 3%... oh man.

Went to the gym and forgot my wallet so I signed up for the card to have something tied to my phone in situations like this.

It's very well thought out in terms of interface and relevant data.

The due date is right up top, the transactions are broken down with how much percentage cash back you receive, and your purchase category breakdown is just a click away.

This is what I wished apps like mint were more like.

Why haven't you added your existing cards to your phone?

And yeah. Forgetting my wallet used to be common for me. Apple Pay has saved me many times over the years.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Question still stands though haha.
I don't understand? I try and use cash because it helps me not use as much money. Something about organizing bills and using coins helps me spend less. When I had a card on my phone it was very convenient so I typically spent more.
No card on my phone no temptation.

Yes I do know I still signed up for it now but that 2 percent back is just too good and that's only through Apple Pay.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to add the apple card account to personal capital? I can't seem to find which bank or account I need to link it with.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even with score of 796 I'm getting a 17.99% rate on a $8,500 limit. Gross, however I won't ever get hit with it since I would only be using this for essentials and paying it off right away.

Current credit age is showing at 6 years and 9 months. No doubt due to me buying my house 6 years ago and then financing a car this year.

I have 3 open accounts with debt. Mortgage which is like $170k left, the car which is $18k and my old credit card which has like $700 on it that will be paid off in a month or so before I close it. It gets me no type of rewards or anything.

I wonder what you require in order to get a rate closer to 13-15%.
closing your old credit card will shorten your credit history and drop your score. does itr have an annual fee?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
No.

You could get something like a Bank of America Cash Rewards card and get the same 3% off any and all online purchases + a $200 credit for spending more than $1000 in your first 3 months of ownership + 0% APR for 15 months.

Honestly, BoA CR is the probably THE card to have for cashback since you can apply the 3% off to anything you buy online, never mind the $200 bonus and 0% APR.

Discover It right now is also extremely good. 5% off at all Restaurants + any PayPal transactions up to $75 through the end of the month ($2500 spend). Then Oct - Dec will be 5% off on all Amazon, Target, and Walmart.com purchases up to $75 (or $2500 spend from Oct-Dec).

That said, if you don't have either of those cards, don't want to apply for either and only have an Apple Card...then yes, you should use the Apple Card.

I can pretty comfortably recommend Discover It and BoA Cash Rewards to everyone. iPhone app integration isn't as seamless and you don't get the cash back instantly, but the $200 bonus offer is just a superior offer when it comes down to the dollars and sense of it all and 0% APR for 15 months is pretty big given the Apple Card doesn't offer any 0% APR months at all.

Oct 25, 2017
No.

You could get something like a Bank of America Cash Rewards card and get the same 3% off any and all online purchases + a $200 credit for spending more than $1000 in your first 3 months of ownership + 0% APR for 15 months.

Honestly, BoA CR is the probably THE card to have for cashback since you can apply the 3% off to anything you buy online, never mind the $200 bonus and 0% APR.

Discover It right now is also extremely good. 5% off at all Restaurants + any PayPal transactions up to $75 through the end of the month ($2500 spend). Then Oct - Dec will be 5% off on all Amazon, Target, and Walmart.com purchases up to $75 (or $2500 spend from Oct-Dec).

That said, if you don't have either of those cards, don't want to apply for either and only have an Apple Card...then yes, you should use the Apple Card.

I can pretty comfortably recommend Discover It and BoA Cash Rewards to everyone. iPhone app integration isn't as seamless and you don't get the cash back instantly, but the $200 bonus offer is just a superior offer when it comes down to the dollars and sense of it all and 0% APR for 15 months is pretty big given the Apple Card doesn't offer any 0% APR months at all.

I'd add that the other potential benefit of many VISA cards like the BoA is you get extended warranties for products you register.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Is anyone on IOS13 having issues trying to pay off the balance? I keep getting "Payment not Completed"

Yes, its a bug in IOS 13 on my device (Xs Max). If anyone has IOS 13, don't wait until the last day to make the payment, otherwise, you may be out of luck. I had to use my wife's iPad to make the payment. Hopefully, they'll have it resolved when the IOS 13 releases to the public.

Last edited:

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any talk about this card offering special financing for Apple purchases? That's one thing the Barclaycard still offers, and I'm wondering if that'll eventually be phased out.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has there been any talk about this card offering special financing for Apple purchases? That's one thing the Barclaycard still offers, and I'm wondering if that'll eventually be phased out.

It's not official, but yeah. I got an email about an update to the cardholders agreement that allows for special financing. Not active now, but an option in the future

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ordinary European here and I would like to know why is this even remotely interesting to anyone?

What are the benefits of this, like actual benefits, compared to any other credit card?

What does the owner actualy gain financialy, etc., thanx in advance to anyone willing to explain

Apple products have become something of a status symbol, the card is just another part of that eco system, also the fact that it seems easy to keep track of your spending via your phone is another plus

Oct 27, 2017
No.

The Bank of America app is trash. If the card benefits weren't that good I would never use it.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, after the initial hit of opening two cards on the same day- Capital One and Apple Card, my credit went up 16 points with TransUnion and 48 points with Equifax. I use the Capital One card for gas and some fun expenses I was gonna use my debit on anyways like movie tickets. I use my Apple Card for everywhere that has Apple Pay. I pay them both off every time the payments aren't pending. I've heard that it's better to make multiple smaller payments on your card throughout the month.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone on IOS13 having issues trying to pay off the balance? I keep getting "Payment not Completed"

Yes, its a bug in IOS 13 on my device (Xs Max). If anyone has IOS 13, don't wait until the last day to make the payment, otherwise, you may be out of luck. I had to use my wife's iPad to make the payment. Hopefully, they'll have it resolved when the IOS 13 releases to the public.
I've had a few. One issue I wanted to let people know about is paying your card with your Apple Pay Cash. I had an instance where it posted as "unknown transaction" on the Apple Pay Cash history, never posted to the Apple Card. I texted Apple and they didn't see anything wrong, then the next day said it was rejected, and then the day after that it posted to the card as an "offline payment." Id be wary of paying your card with your Apple Pay Cash for now

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
So, after the initial hit of opening two cards on the same day- Capital One and Apple Card, my credit went up 16 points with TransUnion and 48 points with Equifax. I use the Capital One card for gas and some fun expenses I was gonna use my debit on anyways like movie tickets. I use my Apple Card for everywhere that has Apple Pay. I pay them both off every time the payments aren't pending. I've heard that it's better to make multiple smaller payments on your card throughout the month.
No, you won't show any usage to the credit bureaus if you never let the balances get to your statement. Just pay them when you get the bill.

The only reason to pay some early is if you want less overall usage reported.