• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
damn the boys over on the credit card forums are hooting and hollering about this one. gonna have to camp out at the bank ahead of time to get one

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
BAD do you work for Apple? Just curious because this is a well done OT. If they aren't paying you then they should.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ordinary European here and I would like to know why is this even remotely interesting to anyone?

What are the benefits of this, like actual benefits, compared to any other credit card?

What does the owner actualy gain financialy, etc., thanx in advance to anyone willing to explain

Credit cards in the US are completely different than in Europe. Americans can make a good profit from just everyday spending.

That being said the Apple Card doesn't offer anything better than other banks other than a pretty physical card.

PayPal MasterCard is probably the best card to use if you don't want to mess with having multiple cards.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Is this an ad for a credit card?

A Goldman Sachs credit card

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Ordinary European here and I would like to know why is this even remotely interesting to anyone?

What are the benefits of this, like actual benefits, compared to any other credit card?

What does the owner actualy gain financialy, etc., thanx in advance to anyone willing to explain
Well, I am currently using a debit card with Apple Pay and use a separate app to monitor spending history and habits. The result is useful, but that requires me to sync with my bank everytime I want to keep it updated and that's annoying.

The main benefit I can see with Apple Card would be to have all of that inside the Wallet app instead and to be more seamless.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I just got my first credit cards last year at age 31. I was terrified of them due to the debt they could incur...

I'm still on kinda shaky ground with them. I got one straight through my bank with the lowest interest rate I qualified for in order to furnish my apartment as my girlfriend was interested in moving in and my spartan-esque living wasn't going to cut it anymore, and I just couldn't afford the furniture I needed out of pocket.

After kind of successfully managing all that furniture debt in a few months according to my plan, I decided to grab a Best Buy credit card because of the interest-free financing options. That one has admittedly been a bit of a pain to keep up with, as other unforeseen financial burdens have kind of hit me and I got a little too cozy charging a few things to my other credit card. I'm not under water yet but I'm feeling enough anxiety that I sure as shit am thinking about reverting back to my "don't buy it if you can't buy it out of pocket" lifestyle.

That said, I keep being told by folks to get a reward card if I'm gonna have a credit card at all, but I wonder if I even qualify for this at all, and I'm not so sure doing the hard pull to try and find out is wise? Bah, credit cards make me nervous af, and actually having one and trying to use it hasn't helped at all, lol.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got my first credit cards last year at age 31. I was terrified of them due to the debt they could incur...

I'm still on kinda shaky ground with them. I got one straight through my bank with the lowest interest rate I qualified for in order to furnish my apartment as my girlfriend was interested in moving in and my spartan-esque living wasn't going to cut it anymore, and I just couldn't afford the furniture I needed out of pocket.

After kind of successfully managing all that furniture debt in a few months according to my plan, I decided to grab a Best Buy credit card because of the interest-free financing options. That one has admittedly been a bit of a pain to keep up with, as other unforeseen financial burdens have kind of hit me and I got a little too cozy charging a few things to my other credit card. I'm not under water yet but I'm feeling enough anxiety that I sure as shit am thinking about reverting back to my "don't buy it if you can't buy it out of pocket" lifestyle.

That said, I keep being told by folks to get a reward card if I'm gonna have a credit card at all, but I wonder if I even qualify for this at all, and I'm not so sure doing the hard pull to try and find out is wise? Bah, credit cards make me nervous af, and actually having one and trying to use it hasn't helped at all, lol.

This is how you get into debt. If you can't afford it don't buy it.

Treat your credit card as if it's your debt card and you're golden.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This is how you get into debt. If you can't afford it don't buy it.

Treat your credit card as if it's your debt card and you're golden.
yes.

6 cards here, zero balances. Treat it like a debit card.

That said, there are much better rewards cards out there than this. Bank of America Cash Rewards comes to mind immediately with 3% back on whatever category you set it to. Their app is pretty good too, and not tethered to Apple devices if you're not interested in forever tying yourself to the Apple ecosystem.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I love the location-based receipts, but unfortunately I don't buy enough Apple products (actually from Apple) for it to be worthwhile.

I just wish Citi would get their shit together and let me use their credit card with Apple Pay already.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to use apple pay whenever possible so I'd be interested in this card. But really I just want the cool physical card lol. Don't think that's a good enough reason for a hard pull.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Was thinking about getting this as my next credit card for the sweet ass card alone (which is a stupid reason I know), but I went with the Uber Visa instead (much better rewards).

But something tells me my dumbass is going to get this eventually.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can put any credit card onto your apple pay and there are quite a few cards that offer real rewards *in addition to* 2% or more.
Which ones? I have a Chase Freedom Unlimited which does 1.5% on anything. The other cash back cards all have some scheme where you need to remember to activate rewards every quarter or the cash back only applies to certain items. I haven't found any that offer 2% or more across the board.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which ones? I have a Chase Freedom Unlimited which does 1.5% on anything. The other cash back cards all have some scheme where you need to remember to activate rewards every quarter or the cash back only applies to certain items. I haven't found any that offer 2% or more across the board.

citi double cash
PayPal MasterCard

don't get me wrong I like the Apple Card a lot but it's far from the only one, and actually at a disadvantage since so many places in the US *still* don't take Apple Pay. Hopefully if this card catches on that will change

a916

Oct 25, 2017
So does Apple make a lot of money off this... or Goldman Sachs?

I read an article a while back that Apple was gearing up to get into the banking industry and was like yeah lol right... and here we are.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
citi double cash
PayPal MasterCard

don't get me wrong I like the Apple Card a lot but it's far from the only one, and actually at a disadvantage since so many places in the US *still* don't take Apple Pay. Hopefully if this card catches on that will change
Oh nice, gonna look into that Citi one. I still like the Chase because it has the extra year of warranty along with 1.5% cash back, but for "daily" purchases a 2% would be great.

Though I still like Apple Card putting the cash in your wallet app every day. For Citi you have to request a check whenever you want to cash out.

So does Apple make a lot of money off this... or Goldman Sachs?
Both. I think Goldman gets most of the revenue from actual credit card fees, whereas Apple benefits from you using ApplePay.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
OT for a credit card 🤔
ERA first. an OT for a credit card. It is a well done OT though, I give you that!
Yeah, not sure how I feel about an OT for a credit card, but it's a damn nice looking OT for sure.
It's a really good card so far. Makes the wallet app worth using beyond a simple payment

Pretty looking OT, but extremely lackluster card.

If you want to show off your Apple love, go for it.

If you want rewards, you can do better.

is there any similar card that offers the virtual randomized card number generation? had to get a new CC recently due to fraud, second time in 10 months. getting really tired of it. but i don't have an iPhone (only an iPad) so i don't think i'd get other benefits from this.
I don't really want one, but I hope more credit card companies get the virtual card thingy. Or better, more places online accept apple pay.

Virtual card numbers are common these days. Most people just don't bother with them.

I could potentially buy an iMac, iPad and iPhone next year. So it would probably make sense to get this card just for the discount on those purchases.

You'll get a better discount with other cards.

Compared or other cards, this is pretty basic. You're not going to sign up for this because you want to maximize your cash back.

The selling point is literally the Apple branding.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you are going to say there are better rewards with other cards, please list them out! So annoying when people come in, scoff, say there is something better and then just leave without saying what the hell they were talking about.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you are going to say there are better rewards with other cards, please list them out! So annoying when people come in, scoff, say there is something better and then just leave without saying what the hell they were talking about.
KIzkutR.jpg

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you also get 3% back on subscriptions through Apple billing, like HBO Now, iTunes, etc. but not Netflix since you can't subscribe to Netflix through Apple

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice, gonna look into that Citi one. I still like the Chase because it has the extra year of warranty along with 1.5% cash back, but for "daily" purchases a 2% would be great.

Though I still like Apple Card putting the cash in your wallet app every day. For Citi you have to request a check whenever you want to cash out.

Citi allows you to direct deposit to your bank (takes a day or two) or apply directly to your balance instead of requesting a check. They do also offer the extended warranty, as well as price protection on purchases for 60 days if you find a lower price after you bought it. I've taken advantage of that feature personally and gotten a couple hundred bucks back.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Citi allows you to direct deposit to your bank (takes a day or two) or apply directly to your balance instead of requesting a check. They do also offer the extended warranty, as well as price protection on purchases for 60 days if you find a lower price after you bought it. I've taken advantage of that feature personally and gotten a couple hundred bucks back.
Those benefits have been announced for cancellation in the next month or so. Citi card's will almost exclusively offer cash back and no other benefits of note.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Those benefits have been announced for cancellation in the next month or so. Citi card's will almost exclusively offer cash back and no other benefits of note.

Oh, I must have missed that.... I'll probably still use it for the cash back, but those were nice benefits.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I must have missed that.... I'll probably still use it for the cash back, but those were nice benefits.
Chase Freedom Unlimited still offering them, but only 1.5% cash back.

For most big stuff I've been using the Marriott American Express (formerly SPG Rewards) that charges like $90 per year. I've thought about canceling it but I think it's really boosting my credit score due to having a colossal limit and I still have like 100,000 points to use on hotels.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I hate to break it to you friend, all those benefits are gone, there's literally no reason to give Citi your business nowadays other than for the Costco Citi Visa

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
On addition to the earlier suggestion, definitely look up the BoA Cash Rewards card. If you wanted to save 3% on Apple purchases with that card, you literally just sign into the app and set your 3% category to "electronics". And when you've made your purchases, you can set it to gas, food, etc. I believe there is also an AmEx card that gives very high rewards. Check the credit card OT's recent conversations.

Give them all a look on NerdWallet or some such. I'm sure you'll make a good decision if you review all the offerings. Many of these cards give 2% or more cash back with sizable sign-up bonuses. Given you are actively discouraged from using the physical card (1%), the only selling point of this card over those mentioned is better integration into iOS and the near instant cash back (which is really just a couple of bucks here and there generally). You'll have to decide if that's worth more than hundreds of dollars in signup bonuses, rotating/flexible 3% categories, or easily redeemable points.

Oct 25, 2017
Man imagine how much info Apple will have on your spending habits with this card. This is a targeted adds dream come true.

The architecture is structured in such a way that Apple doesn't know what you have bought, Goldman Sachs will have that info, but it won't be used for marketing or sold to 3rd parties.

(That last part depends on how much you trust Goldman Sachs, so I won't fault anyone who thinks it's bullshit.)

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Is Chase Sapphire Preferred still considered an all around good card to use as a primary? I know people get deep into maximizing sign up bonuses to get extra perks, but for someone not really wanting to get into all of that, we're trying to determine the best card to use long term.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Man imagine how much info Apple will have on your spending habits with this card. This is a targeted adds dream come true.
A little note on data usage from the techcrunch article above

I really dug hard on how Apple Card data was being handled the last time I wrote about the service, so you should read that for more info. Goldman Sachs is the partner for the card but it absolutely cannot use the data it gathers on transactions via Apple Card for market maps, as chunks of anonymized data it can offer partners about spending habits or any of the typical marketing uses credit card processors get up to. Mastercard and Goldman Sachs can only use the data for operations uses. Credit reporting, remittance, etc.

And Apple itself neither collects nor views anything about where you shopped, what you bought or how much you paid.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I could see it if you're just starting out and worry about fees, but anyone with a remote handle on CC rewards and churning could find dozens of better cards out there. I'm sure it'll be good for some laughs on r/churning when they are unable to convince friends/family members to get a better card.