• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/28/apple-fires-employee-over-iphone-x-video/?sr_source=Facebook

Just because a tech company has announced a product doesn't mean employees are free to share or talk about it before release -- just ask Microsoft. And unfortunately, one Apple engineered has learned that the hard way. Apple has reportedly fired a iPhone team member after his daughter Brooke posted a hands-on video showing off his iPhone Xbefore launch. Brooke took down the video as soon as Apple requested it, but the takedown came too late to prevent the clip from going viral, leading to seemingly endless reposts and commentary. We've asked Apple for comment on the firing.

In a follow-up video (below), Brooke said she and her father understood the decision and weren't angry at Apple. And it's important to stress that this wasn't a garden variety iPhone X. As an employee device, it had sensitive information like codenames for unreleased products and staff-specific QR codes. Combine that with Apple's general prohibition of recording video on campus (even at relatively open spaces like Caffè Macs) and this wasn't so much about maintaining the surprise as making sure that corporate secrets didn't get out. Apple certainly didn't want to send the message that recording pre-release devices was acceptable

Pretty shitty of Apple if you ask me, but I've heard very similar stories from when I worked at Apple retail years ago.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's unfortunate - I don't think he deserved to be terminated. It's coming out soon anyway, for one, and second, we all already know of its features.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You sign confidentiality documents when you are employed.
Emotion does not come into it.
It was very irresponsible of him to allow her to do that, even though it seems like not a big thing.
Hell I had to sign confidentiality docs when I started working at an ISP/Cable company.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NDAs need to be followed. I really don't see how Apple did anything wrong here.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
This seems reasonable considering the excerpt. Idk about firing but working for apple is probably pretty competitive so they have a list of ppl to replace him

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's shitty of Apple to do so. Sure, the X is coming out soon, but the employee broke a company rule. What prevents him from pulling the same move with another product in the future? Sucks for the guy, but I'm with Apple on this one.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really simple. Just don't do what the company tells you not to do. I work for a company too that has a no-tolerance policy about posting anything to social media. You just keep that shit on lock, that's all there is to it.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Cupertino's in the right on this one, as harsh as it may be; they must product their product development, even at late stages, and regrettably when this hapens, they have no other choice but to make an example of "the perp" so to speak.

The more worrying thing is the "engineered" (seriously Engadget, what a typo); what company would employ someone that was so careless about the latest new thing prior to launch?

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
If I was the girl, my dad would officially, legitimately, genuinely murder me for this.

This was hilariously, insanely irresponsible for both of them I can't fault Apple for taking decisive action.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like he just made a mistake/he didn't do anything maliciously or with ill intent. It's unfortunate that he had to lose his livelihood over a mistake.

I'm sure he'll be able to find employment elsewhere. Keeping together a corporation like Apple, especially when dealing with secretive products, demands adherence to some pretty simple rules. If he can't follow a simple NDA, why should Apple keep him around? It shows a lack of judgment on his part and there's a line a mile long to have his spot.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. NDA exists, gotta read the wording. Or at least try to abide by them.

I had a job where I couldn't really talk about what I did outside of work. It was a waste trying to be vague.

Even now that I don't work for the company going on 5 years I still live by that NDA.

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's precedent. Reward this idiot and every employee's daughter is unveiling iPhone's for the next 10 years.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty shitty of Apple if you ask me, but I've heard very similar stories from when I worked at Apple retail years ago.
It really isn't.

And by you hearing similar stories, does that mean that you heard of other people breaking rules and being punished for breaking said rules?

It seems like he just made a mistake/he didn't do anything maliciously or with ill intent. It's unfortunate that he had to lose his livelihood over a mistake.
I feel for this guy and his family, but when it comes to confidentiality, "My bad!" is not an excuse to wave mistakes away.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
does anyone have a link to the original video she posted? or is it killed everywhere?

i don't really care about the new iphone x i'm just curious what the video is like

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
"Rules don't apply to me!"

I mean come on, you work for Apple. Not some 3rd rate handset manufacturer. They don't want their shit leaking before launch for OBVIOUS reasons.

People really let social media shine fuck with their better judgment.

No sympathy from me.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NDAs are no joke. Unfortunate that social media fame clouded what should have been an obvious judgement.
You're also talking about Apple of all companies. They aren't gonna let that slide at all.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well if Apple doesn't fire him, every iPhone team member would be posting videos next year.

Also that was was a for profile video.

Hope he get a new job soon.

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
Cupertino's in the right on this one, as harsh as it may be; they must product their product development, even at late stages, and regrettably when this hapens, they have no other choice but to make an example of "the perp" so to speak.

The more worrying thing is the "engineered" (seriously Engadget, what a typo); what company would employ someone that was so careless about the latest new thing prior to launch?
Is this Huelen????

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/28/apple-fires-employee-over-iphone-x-video/?sr_source=Facebook

How is it shitty, unless you honestly believe you shouldn't face repercussions if you simply made a mistake without I'll intent? Yeah, you won't always be punished for it, but I don't think doing so is necessarily unreasonable. It's not like they sued him and if he was an Apple employee he'll be able to find another job fairly easily

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, at first I thought it was going to be the daughter taking her Dads phone and making a vid of it as a way to get Likes on her channel, yet the Dad openly participates in the vid. He can only blame himself for messing up.
Oh hell. How old is his daughter?

And that marketing budget is huge. Tens of millions of dollars. And you jump the gun for some clicks? Yeah, there was no way he thought he could survive.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, at first I thought it was going to be the daughter taking her Dads phone and making a vid of it as a way to get Likes on her channel, yet the Dad openly participates in the vid. He can only blame himself for messing up.

Yeah I hadn't seen the original video so I wasnt aware he participated in it. I thought he had just given the phone to his daughter and she filmed it on her own.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Everything above board here. You break a nda and Most companies will can you for this. It's how they discourage leaks. Not sure what they thought would happen. Especially the dad...

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh hell. How old is his daughter?

And that marketing budget is huge. Tens of millions of dollars. And you jump the gun for some clicks? Yeah, there was no way he thought he could survive.

Looks like a mid teen. Maybe 15?

In the video it show her dad handling the phone to her. It even shows her dad demostrating the facial emoji thing.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It's always tempting to show off new stuff to your friends and family, especially something of that magnitude.

But, you sign contracts for a reason. They understand. It's a lesson for everyone.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The original video was so brazen, taken in an Apple cafeteria, that most people thought it must've been a viral marketing initiative. Because I guarantee you that someone in the position of having pre-release hardware knows full well that showing it to the public is in no way tolerated. Especially when you show meeting invites with product code names. I just have no idea what this guy was thinking. I mean I hope he lands on his feet, but Apple had no recourse here.

Oct 25, 2017
Well that was one pathetic video. You don't own the company, you work for them. Follow the rules you agreed to. If you don't like that, start your own business and make your own set of guidelines. Many people have, and you can as well. Until then, don't be stupid.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was the daughter taking the phone and making a viral video of it without his permission, then I'd feel bad for him. Him being in the video means yeah sorry dude, you had it coming.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe NDAs should exist. So I find the whole thing silly. I am also not an Apple fan, so I have no clue why releasing info on the phone early even matters. Did Apple suffer any loss from this? Or are they firing simply because they said not to do something.
Can you explain why NDA's shouldn't exist?