• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 1, 2018

Looks like they're getting serious about the Arcade service with new hardware to back it up along with "Breath of the Wild"-tier titles for it. Guess we'll see. IMO Arcade hasn't been very compelling so far, mostly just iOS/mobile games.

Their last console effort was the Pippin, a miserable failure. Could this be a new chapter? I really don't have faith in them to pull this off lol even with their billions.

Here's more perspective from MR:

Fudge mentions that Apple is working with developers to bring console-level games to Apple Arcade as means of bolstering the gaming service. Notably, the tweet points out that some games would only be able to be run on the A13 Bionic chip or later, so an upgraded Apple TV would be necessary to access the new Apple Arcade additions.

A13 bionic is what's in the 2019 iphones IIRC. I think it's currently the fastest mobile chip in the world.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Seemed inevitable that once Apple Arcade was launched they'd push hard, they put big money in to their tv service too.

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020
Seeing how Apple handled the whole epic lawsuit is one of the reasons i will never ever invest in any of their products. they are anti consumer and anti developers.

OP
OP
Feb 1, 2018
Seeing how Apple handled the whole epic lawsuit is one of the reasons i will never ever invest in any of their products. they are anti consumer and anti developers.

I don't think "anti-consumer" has a concrete meaning anymore, it's just thrown around as a buzzword for something an individual or a company doesn't like or doesn't align with their agenda.

Also, it's ironic that you call them "anti-developer" when they're literally the most profitable platform on earth to sell apps.

And that's all we're gonna discuss here about the Epic thing, stick to the other threads

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Is this the same lawsuit where Epic knowingly broke the rules and then tried to weaponize children against Apple?

nath999

May 7, 2018
Yeah we'll see about that, the most I can see is them trying to capture their iOS gamers. I don't see them trying to nail down a hardcore audience.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we will see this at the October event? I was genuinely surprised there were no new Apple TV reveals at the Time Flies event but I can see if they wanted to spread out their announcements somewhat.

Oct 25, 2017
Without exclusives it's going to be hard and I don't think many publishers would allow for anything more than timed exclusivity, certainly not on a gamble such as this. It's also been shown that consumers of Apple TVs don't care, and this is largely because Apple doesn't put any work in (and yet they expect their 30%). Basically unless they are committed to their own first-party, I wouldn't expect anything of this, they just see gaming as a revenue stream they can siphon due to their existing scale.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Dont expect a native GamePass app on Apple devices anytime soon.
Also good luck on developing these BotW level games, easier said than done.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
So both MS and Apple leadership is starting to seriously invest into gaming. Gaming landscape may see huge changes in the next 10 years.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
It looks really interesting, given the kind of money Apple has, but Amazon us the proof that money alone isn't enough to break in the market, especially since "botw-like" games would be targeted at console users, I suppose

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So would it just be a home console that plays titles from their mobile market?

Also it's gonna be real hard for them to get BOTW level of quality when you can't really get that with building a new studio or buying one unless you buy Nintendo itself.

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
I'm in the market for a new Apple tv...just not for gaming,unless Apple can convince me with their offering,but so far they've been very dissapointing,at least to me personally

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I'd like to see them enter the fray in a more serious manner, but people have been saying things like this for ages, especially since the Apple TV first came out, and as of yet it hasn't blossomed into what people have expected.

May 9, 2018
The Apple TV 4 was clearly intended for gaming with 32GB and 64GB storage SKUs intended for storing more/larger apps, but the increased storage was completely useless because no one made games for the Apple TV. Mostly due to Apple's requirement for Remote control for every game, which took them years to back down upon.

With the power of the current chips and an included controller, a gaming Apple TV could work now.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I don't think "anti-consumer" has a concrete meaning anymore, it's just thrown around as a buzzword for something an individual or a company doesn't like or doesn't align with their agenda.

In Apple's case, the term "anti-comsumer" applies fairly well. Given the amount of shit they do that is literally anti-consumer. From right-to-repair suits and denials, to Apple store scam practices...

Apple is one of the legitimate examples of anti-consumerism in a corporation. Liking Apple doesn't negate how shitty as a company they are to their consumers. (That's not to say other companies aren't, but there's a myriad of well-founded claims, cases, articles, etc. to prove how anti-consumer Apple is.)

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020

Also, it's ironic that you call them "anti-developer" when they're literally the most profitable platform on earth to sell apps.

And that's all we're gonna discuss here about the Epic thing, stick to the other threads
Is this the same lawsuit where Epic knowingly broke the rules and then tried to weaponize children against Apple?

Lets not bring up epic, epic is shit too, i am talking about how apple handled things from their side and how they have a history of wanting to own everything. look at all their past business relations, they sign exclusive agreements with companies until companies become fully dependent on apple and once that happens apple says they no longer need their products and they give the company 2 options, either shut(since they have no other client for that specific product ) down or sell us your whole company at a cheaper price or that specific division.

so yeah lets not talk about the epic and apple thing, but lets talk about how apple is a fucking huge evil corp and how stupid it would be to invest in their ecosystem as a gamer

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm already bored, Apple is throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks at this point.

After Arcade and TV+... let's just say I'm not optimistic.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I feel like every few years we get the "Apple is getting serious about games, for real this time" news item and rarely does it go far or cause any significant shifts in the market

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised to see them try this and to try to get some big AAA console games on their service and devices as well. Apple is very clearly making a big push towards gaming, and they have an eco-system which would truly push that to the next level...

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would 100% buy an apple console if they made one to rival Sony and MS. I would not buy a glorified Apple Ouya.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
They should buy Capcom or some other big publisher with beloved multiplatform IPs to bolster their content lineup. I heard it's a very popular business practice over here.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I've heard and seen this song and dance before. I'll believe they're making serious inroads when I see it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's not just a technical thing, it's the writing/design/art direction/and the famous IP that is required. They're gonna have to use their Disney connections to make some kind of RPG or something if they want to be BOTW-tier I guess
I always get skeptical when terms like BotW-like, AAA(A) projects are being touted as if they mean something - just show off or deliver the quality first and let the audience decide lol.

The Zelda series is a series with a big legacy but even in that series BotW is a special game and that only really came through after Nintendo showed more of it and had it playable.

So yeah make sure you have the basics right before jumping to step 4 of 5 already.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the current incarnation of Apple Arcade even that successful right now?

It seems like it got massive hype at first but it doesn't seem to have amounted to much now, and it looks like developers have been eager to get their Apple Arcade games on Switch as soon as the exclusivity expires.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This exact story comes up every couple of years and I cant imagine this is the time it'll stick.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could be good if they did. Will keep Nintendo on their toes rather than getting lazy. An official Apple controller would be big.