• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/tech/apple-campus-austin-texas/index.html

The company said Thursday it will spend $1 billion to build a new campus in Austin, Texas.

The city is already home to one Apple (AAPL) campus, a sprawling facility with 6,200 employees that is the company's largest outside its headquarters in Cupertino, California.

Apple's new Austin campus will be less than a mile from the existing one and will be spread across 133 acres, the company said in a statement. It is expected to make Apple the city's largest employer, with a workforce of 5,000 employees and the capacity to add 10,000 more.

There's more to come. Apple also plans to build new offices in Seattle, San Diego and Culver City over the next three years. Each will be home to more than 1,000 employees.

The expansion comes after new US tax laws were enacted late last year that prevented Apple from avoiding taxes on international profits. The company announced in January that it would invest $30 billion in US facilitiesand create 20,000 American jobs by 2023.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The domain will have to expand to contain so many more pretentious 20 somethings with a large disposable income. At least that means more pokestops.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
imagine the amount of jobs and actual infrostracture we could create with an actual government sponsored initiative rather than building our economy on a house of cards dependent on private monopolies to do the right thing for workers while we prop them up and waste the rest of our tax dollars on stupid shit

Oct 25, 2017
More traffic in downtown LA?

giphy.gif

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My office is in the Domain, guess it's gonna get even more crowded than it already is

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Shouldn't they have launched an 18 month long "search" and strung us all along for no reason?

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Where the fuck are they even putting it? I know where the current campus is and I have no idea where that 133 acres is going to be if it's less than a mile away.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Google Austin wolf spiders. These things are huge and often get into peope's houses, from what I've read.

BIG BENGHAZI

Nov 29, 2018
Nationalize Apple. Fuck these big ass companies that do nothing but gentrify these cities EVEN further. Glad all you rubes property values are gonna go up. How cool for you.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
NOOOOOOO TRAFFIC IS ALREADY TERRIBLE

I've accepted it. I work from home, get groceries on my lunch break, but anytime I have be somewhere at rush hour I'm reminded of how most people waste 10% of their time on the road.

By the time 183 and 130 work is done it'll be worse than before construction started. Austin is zoned poorly for highways, "loops" are north/south and are used by every single person regardless of the destination.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Not sure about spiders, but in all seriousness if you don't soak your yard with fire ant killer, something mundane like walking barefoot on grass or gardening will result in a surprise doctor visit.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Live and work in the Domain, thank god they aren't moving to where the old IBM building is. There's actually some more affordable rent options up by where this is supposedly going.

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't they have launched an 18 month long "search" and strung us all along for no reason?

Business Insider tried to spin this as Apple doing the same thing as Amazon but with less anger and totally missed how the scenerios are totally different. Yes, Apple is getting tax breaks on this. No, Apple didn't turn it into a performative gesture in order to gain a plethora of knowledge on cities to use for leverage.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
What does that mean?!

Quoting as in referencing the concern over Californians being a popular answer, not air quoting Californians as a belittling thing.

But I do understand the fear. It isn't Californians per se but wealthy Californians gentrifying the area. There are downtown apartments that have gone up $1500/month since last year.