• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
It won't be truly fixed until they stop forcing the moronic Touch Bar on buyers. If they release one with a fixed keyboard and no Touch Bar this year, I'll buy one. My 2013 is on its last legs. At the moment 5 keys have stopped working.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
It won't be truly fixed until they stop forcing the moronic Touch Bar on buyers. If they release one with a fixed keyboard and no Touch Bar this year, I'll buy one. My 2013 is on its last legs. At the moment 5 keys have stopped working.

2012 air reporting in. Supposed to have a new one for work any day now since the battery toast.

OP
OP
mescalineeyes

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Well I am not going to lie, I've had the TouchBar since day 1, and I could take it or leave it, though at this point they might as well figure out something to do with it now that they've shipped millions.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
2013 iMac w a cracked screen reporting in. I use a touch bar MBP at work and i absolutely hate it. Accidentally button presses all day. Holding out for its abolishment for another year I guess.

CoachKevin

Oct 25, 2017
Apple says that it is using "new materials" in the switch mechanism that should significantly reduce the occurrence of double and missed key presses.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking finally, where are the ones saying "no, it's fine, you're using it wrong" now?

Edit: they're still going to be butterfly switches? Lmao, pointless.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Seems bean counters figured its cheaper to keep iterating on this flawed keyboard than to do a redesign.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
my MBP 13" w/ Touch Bar is about three months old. No trouble with my keyboard, but should I get it serviced and the keyboard upgraded? Or have I completely misunderstood what's happening here?

OP
OP
mescalineeyes

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
my MBP 13" w/ Touch Bar is about three months old. No trouble with my keyboard, but should I get it serviced and the keyboard upgraded? Or have I completely misunderstood what's happening here?

it needs to break first, but then you'll be eligible for an upgrade. I had a first gen butterfly with multiple stuck keys, got upgraded to a 3rd gen and ever since than I've been a happy camper. Lowkey my favourite keyboard ever, but good to know that if something where to happen I'm set!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I don't believe them.

Aside from my build quality issues, I'm fine with the low-travel keyboard. I've gotten used to it. I 'solved' some of the build quality issues using a nail file to file down my keys that routinely got "sticky" with the aluminum chassis. Still happens from time to time, but not often.

I was open to the touchbar, but 2+ years later, I mostly agree it sucks, or at least, it's not an improvement over physical keys... and when the thing was sold for $200+ with the touchbar, you expect it to be an improvement.

no one was saying that. stop picking imaginary fights.

There were people saying that when the 2016's first came out. I was a 2016 early adopted who had keyboard issues, though different than others, and mostly everyone told me that I was doing something wrong with the way I typed. Someone on Gaf told me that me hitting space bar iwth my right thumb was what was causing it to get stuck and I should use my left thumb.

At the time, Apple wasn't responding to the problem and they were out of stock for the 2016s, especially my model which was pretty high end so I couldn't return it. Eventually, I "fixed" the problem myself about 6mos later with a nail file. I'm okay with an early adopters tax, but the response to it was what was annoying for me. It wasn't until Apple recognized a problem and said they fixed it in 2017 that people started to widely say "Oh, yeah, the 2016s were very flawed." And then likewise with the 2017s when the 2018s improved the butterfly switches again, everybody acted like the conventional wisdom was the 2016s were deeply flawed. That wasn't the convention in 2016 or 2017.

Last edited:

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like they're extending the repair program to cover a wider gamut of MacBook devices. I don't think there's a reason to get yours serviced unless you have a valid problem with it.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Yeah no. Untill they rein in Jony Ive and the design team the keyboard will never be fixed. MacBooks have become too thin and it's led to a shit ton of problems. Not just butterfly keyboards, but also only using USB-C ports, and CPU throttling.

OP
OP
mescalineeyes

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
There were people saying that when the 2016's first came out. I was a 2016 early adopted who had keyboard issues, though different than others, and mostly everyone told me that I was doing something wrong with the way I typed. Someone on Gaf told me that me hitting space bar iwth my right thumb was what was causing it to get stuck and I should use my left thumb.

that... is something. hope you had it figured out since.

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
Apple says that it is using "new materials" in the switch mechanism that should significantly reduce the occurrence of double and missed key presses.

Keyword here is reduce, not eliminate.

Butterfly is flawed by design, it will still eventually fail, faster than a typical keyboard.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it still the same ultra flat keyboard?

Because even if it it worked perrfectly I dont think I would buy a modern Macbook with that thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking finally, where are the ones saying "no, it's fine, you're using it wrong" now?

Edit: they're still going to be butterfly switches? Lmao, pointless.

"As a note, the changes in the keyboards are 'under the hood', meaning that they are not intended to change the look or feel of the keyboard and should result in the same typing experience as current gen keyboards."

That's going to be a no from me, dawg. Looks like I wait another year. Was hoping this was the rumored switch to the Magic Keyboard design. I'm using one of those now because my MBP's keyboard is fucked and I love it. Well as much as you can love an overpriced keyboard with no backlighting.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I need a new MBP asap but I'm still worried about this keyboard design, even if they "fixed" it.

Any idea if the 16" MBP will be announced during WWDC? Or are they usually announced in the fall events?

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
nothing says "no design problem" like extending the warranty by 3 years hahaha

Apple officially does not make mistakes... until they do.

They love denying problems until things get to hot for them. I myself had to deal with their bullshit with the defective logicboard problems the 2011 MacBooks had. It took years until Apple admitted a design flaw and offered free replacements.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
that... is something. hope you had it figured out since.

yeah, I mostly solved it myself by taking a nail file to it and filing down the corners around the keys. I was noticing a tiny edge of it was getting stuck on the aluminum keyboard chassis around it, and so tthe key would get stuck down. It would still work but it would feel "mushy." Prior to fixing it, I used to take a guitar pick and slide it under the key and pop it up. But, eventually I got so sick of this that I took action into my own hands with the nail file... which.. y'know, pretty much fixed it for me.

The thing is though, that it shouldn't happen with really high end, premium devices, and that's what apple markets their devices as, with the price tag to prove it. At the time too it was frustrating because they just didn't recognize a problem, and even when they started to, they were out of my model for about 6months... enough time for me to just "fix" it myself with my wife's nail care bag :D

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the touch bar, but Apple needs to put a real escape key on there. I haven't been able to get used to the lack of feedback with the digital one. Going to hold onto my 2017 Pro until that changes, even though I'd love to get a CPU with more than 2 cores.

I've gotten used to the keyboard too. I like the old one more but the new one is fine other than their issues with keys breaking.

Oct 27, 2017
So it's the same lame design with alterations. Their last change was to wrap each key in a condom, but that didn't work. I'm betting they double bagged it this time around.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The biggest issue with the MBP are the terrible thermals that gimp the Intel CPUs. Apple's obsession with thinness came at a price.

They should keep the the Macbook and Air with that focus. Pros need to be pro machines. If I'm paying 3k for notebook, you better not gimp the CPU.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm so disappointed right now, I really hoped Apple would do something about the keyboard for real this time. To include the updated MBP from before it's even shipped into the extended repair program isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.
Also pretty sad they just added the newer CPUs without doing anything to the case... let's see what the first reviews of the 8core i9 say

Maybe it's time to finally leave my comfort zone (Apple bubble) and use something else. What a shame :(

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They've said they've fixed the keyboard like 3 times now. I'll let soneone else be a guinea pig. In the meantime, I'm actually liking Windows 10 a lot. Maybe I don't even need a Mac anymore.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm surprised they just haven't released a TouchBar 2 with only the function keys being a touchscreen but the left end being a normal Esc key and the right end being the power button with TouchID. What with how many people have been complaining about the Esc key being the main problem with the thing for years now. I like having the screen there, but the Esc key needs to be a key.

Either way, I'm kind of tempted at that $2799 15" 8-core i9 model. It's only $100 more than what I paid for my current 15" with the quad-core i7 6 years ago. I got a nice 6 years out of this thing and only needed to get repairs once which cost me a total of $200. (For a bloated battery which caused damage to the keyboard and trackpad so they replaced the entire topcase and threw in a new bottom case because the feet fell off just for the hell of it.)

Honestly I don't want a 16" personally. I actually would prefer a 14" with the same maximum resolution as the 15" as long as it has a dGPU. The 13" is too small for me and even then its underpowered since there's no dGPU and less cores. 14" would be a sweet spot if done right.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
The butterfly keyboard was truly awful. It gave it two revisions, who they claimed fixed the issue and didn't, before I switched to an iMac + iPad combo. Best decision ever, I can never go back to working with those puny 13" screens, the lack of ports and awful keyboard.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Work just gave me a 2018 15" MBP and i really don't like the touch bar. It actually makes things more difficult and the keyboard feels and sounds terrible. I'm actually just using my 2015 15" while the 2018 collects dust. It's just so much better.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I got a MBP within a year and haven't had an issues with it. What's the keyboard problem?

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017

This is about where I am. I've mostly given up on having a fixable machine, but that touchbar directly impacts the computer's usability as a work computer. I could also do with some actual ports because I use USBs on a regular basis and having no slot built in for those is a dealbreaker.

Also, regarding keyboard issues, my 2012 had a similar problem where r, t, y, u, i, o would stop working periodically. I traced it to a fractured circuit and a keyboard replacement (total cost like $180) fixed the issue entirely.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Apple was adamant their was no design problems and spread the word it was because of user misuse. A lot of Apple fans gladly echoed that message.

I have never read any examples of Apple blaming user misuse for MacBook keyboard malfunction. Although online there are crazies for everything, I have never read a fan "gladly" echoing that message.

What I do see daily is people making shit up and creating phantom "Apple stans" out of users who simply made a consumer decision.