• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Work just gave me a 2018 15" MBP and i really don't like the touch bar. It actually makes things more difficult and the keyboard feels and sounds terrible. I'm actually just using my 2015 15" while the 2018 collects dust. It's just so much better.
It forces users to look down, which is a really dumb design. As a coder, it's an absolute pass for me.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll def wait and see if they fixed the keyboard, I'd also love the option to NOT have a touch-bar.

I absolutely despise my current MBP.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The iPad line is in an incredible place right now, but the MacBook line has been a cursed pile of dung since butterfly keys have come into existence.

Oct 27, 2017
I got a MBP within a year and haven't had an issues with it. What's the keyboard problem?
The keyboard can literally be destroyed by a speck of dust or a crumb. Repairability is an all or nothing proposition most of the time. Some people have success with canned air, but many others have not, which is why Apple has the extended warranty program. That scary part is they're already including the new design in that warranty. Even they know the butterfly mechanic is doomed to fail.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm holding onto my 2015 13" MBP until they revise the keyboard design, or until the rumoured 16" model comes out - hopefully without this obsessive pursuit of thinness. I could probably do with upgrading the SSD in this MacBook in the meantime, though.

Sometimes I wish I didn't like macOS so much.

EDIT: Watch that 16" model still start with 128GB of storage and run up to £3,000 for a top spec.

GroundCombo

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm going to take the repair offer, I'm getting double spaces on my 2018 MBP regularly despite compressed air treatments (which do help, but are not a real solution) and I'll take my chances with the new keyboard. Wish they would just sacrifice a tiny bit of height for a proper keyboard though.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 1st gen 13in, luckily haven't ran into this issue but good to know I have another year of coverage for this issue at least.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm holding onto my 2015 13" MBP until they revise the keyboard design, or until the rumoured 16" model comes out - hopefully without this obsessive pursuit of thinness. I could probably do with upgrading the SSD in this MacBook in the meantime, though.

I don't think there is a way back design wise for Apple :(

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Still with the huge bezel? Sort yourself out, Apple. Absolutely shambolic.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding onto my 2015 13" MBP until they revise the keyboard design, or until the rumoured 16" model comes out - hopefully without this obsessive pursuit of thinness. I could probably do with upgrading the SSD in this MacBook though.

The real crime is that Apple has two other MacBook types that strive for maximum thinness (and even more bizarrely, all three MacBook types start within $100 of each other). It would be okay to give the Pro just a bit more function over form - there's two other MacBook types at the same price for consumers who prioritize height and weight.

The iPad team has this shit figured out. Three different iPads offered at 3 distinct starting prices. It shouldn't be this hard for the MacBook team to figure this out - it's almost like the MacBook team, the MB Air team, and the MB Pro team are just entirely separate entities and were somehow all tasked with the same goal of making as thin of a machine as possible and aim for a $1200-1300 starting point.

I do have a splinter of sympathy for the Pro team when it comes to processor throttling, as at least a fraction of that issue can be blamed on intel for dragging their feet on getting down to 10nm and thus causing their latest 14nm chips to run hotter to get that better performance. But it still all comes back to purposely designing a machine that's just too fucking thin for 2019 Pro user needs.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: Watch that 16" model still start with 128GB of storage and run up to £3,000 for a top spec.
Yah, as far as my personal computer goes, I just had Apple do a repair on the screen on their dime which, for some reason, also resulted in a replacement of the logic board (tech error?). I'm holding on to it forever. It'd be even nicer if I had a 2015.

I've gone through 2x2016 and a 2018 15" tMBP at work. The first 2016 had a key become inop due to shitty keyboard, the second one had a USB-C overvolt issue, and my last 2018 just died to a black screen one day and didn't come back despite multiple attempts after clearing the NVRAM and SMC. So I'm on my 4th tMBP in < 2 years.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a rumor that they are redesigning macbooks this year with thinner bezels and possibly fatter? I wouldn't get these. 10nm intel chips are coming later in the year too, there is probably a real refresh this fall.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Idk - everyone seems to be hating on the Touch Bar here.

I've had mine since 2016 and I have had the keyboard replaced a few times. The issue is always a sticky physical key. I have yet to come across the digital escape button failing. I get why people would like it to be a physical key, but as it is - the Touch Bar is significantly more reliable than these physical keys lol

Edit: there are times the Touch Bar works to fix website video issues. Safari has gone to crap with some video playback for some of my glitchy school websites. The videos won't pause of play with a click. So I just tap the pause/play button on the Touch Bar and it seems to work lol. The issue is a shitty website, but the Touch Bar solves it lmao

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, mid 2018 MBP here with no keyboard issues. I actually kinda love it.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, another skipped generation on the nTB MBPs. Keep losing peoples' business Apple.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
One benefit to the Touch Bar is you can troll your friends by spamming the iMessage reacts lmao. Really shuts down the chat. Ive once glitched out a group chat so bad that my one friend was getting notifications for the next hour

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, my space key sticks sometimes so I'll set aside a few days to go without it so they can fix it.

Kylarean

Oct 25, 2017
Gig Harbor, WA
There were people saying that when the 2016's first came out. I was a 2016 early adopted who had keyboard issues, though different than others, and mostly everyone told me that I was doing something wrong with the way I typed. Someone on Gaf told me that me hitting space bar iwth my right thumb was what was causing it to get stuck and I should use my left thumb.

I had the opposite problem. I'm left handed and had my left half of the space bar completely stop working unless I hit it hard or forced myself to use my right thumb. I eventually fixed the space bar myself along with the other keys that randomly get stuck.

Oct 27, 2017
They've owned up for it for years, they just extended the program.
They didn't really own it. They claimed it was just a few people with the issue, and then last year they wrapped condoms around each key and said it was to give typing a better feel when everyone with a brain knew it was their attempt to keep dust/crumbs out from under the keys.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I love the touch bar, fight me
I don't know. Every time I thought I found some nice use for it, I end up just not using it. For a power user, there's hardly anything that a touch bar does, that can't be done with keyboard shortcuts (without looking down at the keyboard all the time). Most of the time honestly, I find myself having to find workarounds so that I don't have to use touchbar.
Now that I'm using Karabiner Elements to remap backtick key to ESC (and I still access backtick by pressing Fn+`) and remap Fn+1, Fn+2, Fn+3, etc to be function keys, I barely ever touch the touchbar anymore, except when I want to adjust screen brightness.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 2016 so I'm dueish for an upgrade. Going from quad to octo core would be a massive jump in power but it's a lot of money and the GPUs are still meh even with the Vega 20 option.

Plus that 16" Mac with an infinity style display and I don't want to be stuck mid cycle paying another $3K when the new chassis comes out especially with it due 2020/21.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I just realized, that they still sell the 15" MBP, that costs 2800€ over here, with a 256GB SSD. Wow.

I'm on a 2.5Ghz i7 from 2014, how big is the perceived difference in performance to a current CPU. I'm a developer, tons of applications opened and running VMs through docker. My 2014 really struggles, everything lags in MacOS and it's really a pain to use.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't only the butterfly hinges, it was also how terrible they feel to type on.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I really cannot fathom who in Apple thinks it is a good idea to ship new variations on the current MacBook Pro form factor.

It just begging to set fire to customer trust.

How dumb would you have to be to go "huh, Apple said they fixed this keyboard in the Air and if anything it's even worse, I definitely trust this same flawed design with some kind of minor tweak this time when they're extending the warranty to avoid a class action suit before the thing even ships."

Just. Get. Rid. Of. Butterfly. Keyboards.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE the Touch Bar.
Its pretty nifty.

I have a 13" MBP from last year. Its an awesome laptop. Hope I don't get any issues with the keyboard and if I do I hope they actually come through and fix the same (Apple has been pretty good to me regarding warranties and repairs).

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Pro from work so cost me nothing. I just don't get it, I can't understand why people pay huge money for these things. The touchbar is just a waste of space, it isn't nice to type on, various apps I use for work have to be restarted all the time, some frequently take 100% of the CPU and destroy the battery, etc. At least all the keys work. For now.

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
Didn't they already claim to have fixed this when they introduced the 2nd gen keyboards with membranes while insisting that there really wasn't anything wrong with the 1st gen?

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they already claim to have fixed this when they introduced the 2nd gen keyboards with membranes while insisting that there really wasn't anything wrong with the 1st gen?
I think it was the third revision that had the membranes. And it wasn't really until today that they came out and acknowledged there's a problem. Prior to this they said they extended the warranty because a few MBPs had the problem. When the membranes were added they weren't to fix the dust issue. They were to alter the feel of typing on it.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The biggest issue with the MBP are the terrible thermals that gimp the Intel CPUs. Apple's obsession with thinness came at a price.

They should keep the the Macbook and Air with that focus. Pros need to be pro machines. If I'm paying 3k for notebook, you better not gimp the CPU.
3k for a machine that is not user serviceable at all is garbage tier. You can't replace the screen or battery if anything happens to them.

Same with Surface devices. Expensive and wasteful.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
That's nice of them to offer repair/replacement. Though if they're nowhere near the pre-Touchbar Retina models, the keyboards will still disappoint.