• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
The For You is better not worse.

I don't agree. Now it's rows and rows of recommendations with tiny titles separating them.

Before there were the main playlists, the friends stuff and then big tiles with recommendations and the recent releases at the bottom.

The information now is barely legible at a glance and the friends stuff seems to always be moving. It's terrible.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Came here to post this. Spotify got rid of the ability to see/play your songs in the mobile app, and you can now only see your albums, artists, and playlists. What a fucking backwards move. At first I thought it was only doing this because my Premium membership had somehow elapsed, but nope, it's for everyone. I primarily listen to music by going to All Songs and just shuffle playing. Now listening to music is a chore.

If they keep this up Apple won't have to do anything. Spotify will just make their app worse and worse until their competitors are better by default.

I've given semi-legit thought to moving to the Apple ecosystem so I don't have to use Spotify music anymore. It's so piss awful.

Oct 25, 2017
It was just a joke because no-one ever seems to talk about it. Until someone took offense apparently lol
Every time I mention Tidal on an internet forum, a majority of the replies are inline with what you've posted.

I guess I can chalk it up to fanboys and people dismissing a service they've probably never tried.

Tidal might not be the most popular streaming service, but they are constantly improving their database. They introduced album credits/liner notes shortly after launch and as of a few weeks ago, they've introduced the contributor pages. Tidal was also one of the first streaming services to properly separate albums/eps/singles/features on an artists' page. Also, they are one of the few music services to offer high quality FLAC audio. And lastly, they pay an artist almost double per song stream than the other streaming services.

but let's just be dismissive for the lulz

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Every time I mention Tidal on an internet forum, a majority of the replies are inline with what you've posted.

I guess I can chalk it up to fanboys and people dismissing a service they've probably never tried.

Tidal might not be the most popular streaming service, but they are constantly improving their database. They introduced album credits/liner notes shortly after launch and as of a few weeks ago, they've introduced the contributor pages. Tidal was also one of the first streaming services to properly separate albums/eps/singles/features on an artists' page. Also, they are one of the few music services to offer high quality FLAC audio. And lastly, they pay an artist almost double per song stream than the other streaming services.

This sounds awesome actually.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Apple Music is probably my least favourite music streaming app. I used it for 6 months because I got it for free from EE, and once the promotion finished I went back straight to Google Music. It would constantly clear the queue of songs I was listening to if I closed the app. Plus some weird bugs and crashes. Spotify is probably the best with recommendations and stuff. Tidal had a nice app too, that did all I wanted it to do, but can't actually say much about it as I only used it for a month.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
I don't agree. Now it's rows and rows of recommendations with tiny titles separating them.

Before there were the main playlists, the friends stuff and then big tiles with recommendations and the recent releases at the bottom.

The information now is barely legible at a glance and the friends stuff seems to always be moving. It's terrible.
I prefer it greatly.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Apple needs to get itself on more platforms. Right now Spotify is the only one I can stream when I play on my PS4, and that's quite frankly a huge advantage that Spotify has that Apple has nothing to match. Even with their lame new UI, being able to play on console trumps everything else. Siri integration is also apparently coming in iOS 13.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Came here to post this. Spotify got rid of the ability to see/play your songs in the mobile app, and you can now only see your albums, artists, and playlists. What a fucking backwards move. At first I thought it was only doing this because my Premium membership had somehow elapsed, but nope, it's for everyone. I primarily listen to music by going to All Songs and just shuffle playing. Now listening to music is a chore.

If they keep this up Apple won't have to do anything. Spotify will just make their app worse and worse until their competitors are better by default.

You can still do that. Your Library > Playlists > Liked songs > Shuffle.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
You can still do that. Your Library > Playlists > Liked songs > Shuffle.

What purpose does this serve though? Also: I've only ever "liked" maybe a handful of track ever. My entire library was put together by simply clicking the "Add to Library" button on albums or tracks I found. They're making intentionally obtuse GUI changes that only make the experience more frustrating.

EDIT: I forgot to mention they recently changed the audio quality/mix in an update and didn't mention it in the changelogs. I typically turn the built in equalizer off both in Spotify and my Android settings, but one day suddenly all of the music was really bassy and extra loud. I pretty much only listen in my car so I can *sort of* tune out the difference and get it close to what it was before, but it was a bit weird.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Unlike Spotify, Apple Music's shuffle doesn't seem like it only shuffles a small fraction of my library. And the scrolling lyrics in iOS 13 are neat (on screen, time-synced lyrics that you can also scroll through to skip to that part of the song).

Spotify Connect is great, though. Not sure why Apple hasn't implemented something similar yet.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I'm still waiting for a desktop music player that isn't fucking iTunes, until then I cant really shill for Apple Music unless I know someone will never use it on a Windows PC

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
The absolutel most annoying design decision I think I've ever encountered exists in Apple Music. That is if I go to an album and start playing it anywhere but from track 1, it assumes I want to shuffle the whole album. Every single time I do this I then have to manually turn off shuffle which takes a few taps. I literally never want to listen to albums on shuffle but will frequently want to start an album not on track 1. Apple Music does not have the capability of remembering this. It didn't use to work like this back on like iOS 6 or 7 and before.

Oct 27, 2017
spotify ui update has changed literally nothing for me, don't see what all the catastrophizing is about, but maybe i use it differently than most
i'm always on the hunt for something new to listen to -- not much interest in replaying songs from my library most of the time

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
If it wasn't for the family plan I'm doing, with them not wanting to leave Spotify, I'd be back on Apple Music in a heartbeat.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of some of the UI changes but what you've said is untrue, all your music is still there just they turned it into a playlist, same number of taps to get to it too, you blind?

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Apple (and Spotify, reportedly) have made steps to account for the former, they just don't currently display or allow sorting by it due to (sadly) low consumer demand.

Tidal is a cool and commendable service but its not consumer-viable and will be dead within a decade, more than likely.

Unlike Spotify, Apple Music's shuffle doesn't seem like it only shuffles a small fraction of my library. And the scrolling lyrics in iOS 13 are neat (on screen, time-synced lyrics that you can also scroll through to skip to that part of the song).

Spotify Connect is great, though. Not sure why Apple hasn't implemented something similar yet.

Spotify Connect is the sole reason I would ever switch back. Super forward thinking. Apple won't do it because of the implication of opening up an API like that.

VeggieBurger

Jan 6, 2018
as far as i know u can only add 10,000 songs to your library on spotify, while apple music allows for 100,000. had no choice to switch once i hit the limit on spotify

OP
OP
striderno9

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I think it's totally legit to worry about rankings and subscriber counts for these things. If something like Tidal isn't popular enough then that service can go away and with it, your custom playlists and stuff like that.

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Spotify took away my ability to browse by artists that are in my library. This is how I've used my media for more than a decade. I am annoyed.

Deleted member 51957

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I used to be so into listening but then what.cd died, my favorite music forum disbanded, podcasts rose to power alongside streaming services which I kinda detest for somewhat silly reasons. I never know what to play! I long for the day when I could open up my iPod Classic and have a 'limited' selection of music available to me -- the choice was easy. Now I'm presented with a search bar and at a complete loss. What do you guys do ?

I am testing out Apple Music because my mother gave me access to her family plan. I am using the app on my android phone and good god it is terrible.

I literally just want to be able to look at a list (generic, line-by-line list) of Artist names for albums that I have 'added' to my library. I want the ability to take my own personal collection and put it there as well. Is this even possible?

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
I used to be so into listening but then what.cd died, my favorite music forum disbanded, podcasts rose to power alongside streaming services which I kinda detest for somewhat silly reasons. I never know what to play! I long for the day when I could open up my iPod Classic and have a 'limited' selection of music available to me -- the choice was easy. Now I'm presented with a search bar and at a complete loss. What do you guys do ?

I am testing out Apple Music because my mother gave me access to her family plan. I am using the app on my android phone and good god it is terrible.

I literally just want to be able to look at a list (generic, line-by-line list) of Artist names for albums that I have 'added' to my library. I want the ability to take my own personal collection and put it there as well. Is this even possible?

There's a good Ted Talk on the paralysis of choice. It's a legit problem and I kind of agree. I currently subscribe but have been wondering if I really want to continue.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apple Music UI is simple and easy to navigate, Spotify is still a mess

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Apple is strange in that regard but I also can see why. They have anything that is a "soundtrack" under that category. Regardless if is film, TV, Anime or games. I think is great to not have a mess. But Apple is king to me. The ecosystem is god tier and the catalog is too good. I listen to a lot of music and also own a ton from various genres. And to me, it came down to the World Music section. Apple and Google(Yes Google has some rare gems that not even Apple has)Apple all the way.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Spotify still has that forced dark UI IIRC, right? With no option for a light UI?

I don't use either (most all of the music I own will never be on streaming services), but if I did it would be Apple Music due to the light UI option (my astigmatism makes dark UIs migraine inducing).

Jun 20, 2019
Spotify still has that forced dark UI IIRC, right? With no option for a light UI?

I don't use either (most all of the music I own will never be on streaming services), but if I did it would be Apple Music due to the light UI option (my astigmatism makes dark UIs migraine inducing).
You can add your own music to Apple Music and it will stream it to you, if you want. I'm just mentioning this because it's a feature that isn't talked about very often.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019

What?

All the songs in your library are now in the playlist section under liked songs. You just click it then hit shuffle. All of your saved songs are there and you can listen the same way

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It's got bigger problems than that. It's a mess UI wise and buggy as fuck on iPhone and Android.

The playlists and stuff it offers are a joke as well.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
You can add your own music to Apple Music and it will stream it to you, if you want. I'm just mentioning this because it's a feature that isn't talked about very often.

I pay for iTunes Match specifically for that functionality, which I think is basically the same thing Apple Music gives you as a benefit.

(I'm not a fan of non-classical and/or non-VG music generally, so most all of the music subscription services out there don't appeal to me much.)

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
The latest Tidal update is revolutionary.

at the top of an artists page, you can now sort by credits such as songwriter, production, etc.
now mixers, engineers, studio personnel, etc. all get pages. It's great for recognition

here's some examples
Noah Goldstein
Mike Dean
Alex Tumay

Kanye West
Metro Boomin
Drake
I've always liked tidal but the value proposition is just better for other services.

YouTube Music with the family plan that serves as an adblocker for YouTube on desktop+mobile for 6 total accounts and has really good recommendations

Spotify also has a family plan with exceptional recommendations on top of being usable as background music for video game consoles.

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing beats Spotify's curated playlists for me.

I listen to the discover weekly every single week and end up saving 80-90% of the songs almost every week.
This is the one thing I really want on Apple that's lacking.

My missus and I have similar music tastes but she's she's Spotify and I use Apple and I'm always finding stuff on her discover weekly that I add to Apple music.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Already addressed by another poster. Read the thread. You blind?
Sorry that opening statement of yours was so blindingly stupid I missed the follow up, and I wasn't the only one

Your response wasn't satisfying to read either, I'd have vastly preferred:
"so when I said Spotify got rid of the ability to see/play your songs in the mobile app I was talking nonsense, what I meant to say was Library functionality is the same I just don't like the UI"

My entire library was put together by simply clicking the "Add to Library" button on albums or tracks I found. They're making intentionally obtuse GUI changes that only make the experience more frustrating.
And you can still add albums and songs the same way as before, FYI the mobile app switched from "Save" to "Like" for individual songs before the UI overhaul. Again though, funcitonally it's the same as adding and actually having a difference between "Liking" and "Saving" doesn't make sense.

There are legitimate complaints about the changes that are covered in this thread, such as changes to how your "Albums" are presented, or how they got rid of the "Recently Played" list in favour of a side scrolling set of large icons. However nothing you've touched on has changed in anything other than name. ("Songs" becomes "Liked Songs", "Save" becomes "Like")

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
They need a web player, dark theme, and The ability to control music playing from smart home devices with your phone.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
How is Apple Music's music recommendation algorithms? I've been a Spotify Premium user for years and for the past year or so my Discover Weekly playlist has been absolute garbage. If Apple Music can do better at recommending music to me that I would ACTUALLY like, I may switch.

Monsieur Paul

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have links to good tutorials and tips for Apple Music? I'm using it but I'm sure at a fraction of what I can do with it.