Jul 1, 2020
Here's the names I think are locks. Parenthesis for artists I think they could snub (also some I think could be on the list by the way it's going lol, I don't actually think some should be here)

• Frank Ocean
  • Taylor Swift
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Bloc Party
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • Marvin Gaye
  • Fiona Apple
  • Michael Jackson
  • Lauryn Hill
  • The Beach Boys
  • Bob Dylan
  • Nirvana
  • Adele
  • (The Weeknd)
  • (Olivia Rodrigo)
  • (JAY Z)
  • (Dr. Dre)
  • (Sonic Youth)
Even if Bloc Party's Silent Alarm isn't in the top 20, it's easily in my personal top 10

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I mean it's fun but everyone gets all worked up over any top 100 movies, music, games, etc list as if it's something that can be solved and proven.

Like Born to Run is a top 15 album for me but if I poll 25,000 people under 30 how many of them might have it in the top 100? I'm guessing very little. Billie Eilish might be higher than it on almost everyone under 30.

We all have biases and these are often for fun or sometimes probably deliberately picked to be a little controversial for the engagement.

I used to post some form of this on every list type thread that was argued.

This list is bullshit. I can't believe they have (insert album I don't love) so high. This list is bullshit. I can't believe they have (insert album I love) so low.

solisolisoli

Jul 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
They made this just to get people riled up and now everyone is checking Apple music.
As much as Taylor swift is popular, she just can't touch The Beatles or Michael Jackson as a musician.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Here's the names I think are locks. Parenthesis for artists I think they could snub (also some I think could be on the list by the way it's going lol, I don't actually think some should be here)

• Frank Ocean
  • Taylor Swift
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Bloc Party
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • Marvin Gaye
  • Fiona Apple
  • Michael Jackson
  • Lauryn Hill
  • The Beach Boys
  • Bob Dylan
  • Nirvana
  • Adele
  • (The Weeknd)
  • (Olivia Rodrigo)
  • (JAY Z)
  • (Dr. Dre)
  • (Sonic Youth)

Is Bloc Party really a lock? REM & Pavement haven't had a record yet and they're way more seminal and influential to indie/alt. Was Closer or Unknown Pleasures on here? Man what a bad list lol

Oct 28, 2017
There are not 5 rap albums better than Illmatic.

and even if it is, Ready to Die, while great is not close to being one of them.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Daaaamn, I really thought Revolver would be top 10.

I've been listening to the unveil show every day... all these lists are stupid no matter who does them, but this one is a little more fun just by virtue of the slow rollout

bm1677

Oct 28, 2017
Even if Bloc Party's Silent Alarm isn't in the top 20, it's easily in my personal top 10
Funnily enough Silent Alarm is my most listened to album of all time based on Last.fm and would likely be in my personal top 10 as well, but I don't see Apple putting it on this list. It was basically the perfect album for me to transition from pop-punk (Blink 182, Saves the Day, Taking Back Sunday) into "indie" rock.

Bloc Party was a flash in the pan and don't think they've been relevant enough in the past 15 years for a broad list like this to mention them. I'd be pleasantly surprised though.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
The most offensive thing about the list might be having Robyn's Body Talk at 100 below so many weaker and less influential pop albums.

Lot of the list feels like a popularity contest, especially when it comes to hip hop and pop. Surely there are better rap albums for a list like this than Get Rich or Die Tryin' or Take Care picks or better pop than Pure Heroine or Anti.

Last edited:

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that these lists exist solely for clicks and reactions so strange albums placements are par for the course. :))))

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Daaaamn, I really thought Revolver would be top 10.

I've been listening to the unveil show every day... all these lists are stupid no matter who does them, but this one is a little more fun just by virtue of the slow rollout

• Frank Ocean
  • Taylor Swift
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Bloc Party
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • Marvin Gaye
  • Fiona Apple
  • Michael Jackson
  • Lauryn Hill
  • The Beach Boys
  • Bob Dylan
  • Nirvana
  • Adele
  • (The Weeknd)
  • (Olivia Rodrigo)
  • (JAY Z)
  • (Dr. Dre)
  • (Sonic Youth)

Yeah, The Chronic will be in the top 20 for sure. So will Rumors, Nevermind, To Pimp a Butterfly and Pet Sounds.Those are 100% locks. Lauren Hill will be there too, either as Miseducation or The Score (I'm betting the latter). Adele 21 will probably show up.

Taylor will be on there too - Folklore is what it should be, but it'll more likely be Red.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
They made this just to get people riled up and now everyone is checking Apple music.
As much as Taylor swift is popular, she just can't touch The Beatles or Michael Jackson as a musician.

The delicious sound of everyone doing exactly what a company hoped they would do with the information.

NativeTongue

Oct 4, 2023
NYC
My personal complaints about the list aside, it is worth noting how much more modern this lists leans. It's also interesting to note how much more modern albums are about production rather than the collective instrumentation or singing from artists.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Never expect Apple Music to put out a list deserving of any respect

Definetly only one album per artist?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
List are dumb but make sure Sade, Kendrick, and Prince are on that or I'll swear off Apple products...

For a whole year!

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I'm assuming they're not going to include any famous artist's stuff that aren't on Apple Music, right? So, no Garth Brooks?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Feeling pretty poptimist with a small attempt to appeal to rockism. The top 20 is going to have to do some heavy lifting in my mind for this to be good.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
If aliens landed and you had to explain what hip hop was without using words you would play Illmatic. No fillers just classic songs. No skits.

It's a perfect album.

I might have Ready to Die or The Chronic above it but nothing else. Don't think The Blueprint or TPAB (or GKMC) should be above it, which looks to be the case for this list.

Also Beatles outside of the top 20 is a hot fucking take.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The top 20 needs at this point to include: The Beach Boys (probably Pet Sounds), Sonic Youth (Daydream Nation), Arcade Fire (Funeral), Joy Division (Unknown Pleasures) or New Order (Power, Corruption & Lies), Nirvana (Nevermind), My Bloody Valentine (Loveless), and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Sgt Peppers or Abby Road for number 1.

i honestly think this is 1 album per artist. i wished it wasn't the case. The Beatles career spans so much variety in music that they honestly deserve more than 1. Same with Bowie. Prince having only Sign o the Times and no Purple Rain is kinda crazy. I like Kid A more than OK Computer personally, but also not seeing WHY Kid A would be on here over OKC considering how influential and more conventional OKC is...

The top 20 needs at this point to include: The Beach Boys (probably Pet Sounds), Sonic Youth (Daydream Nation), Arcade Fire (Funeral), Joy Division (Unknown Pleasures) or New Order (Power, Corruption & Lies), Nirvana (Nevermind), My Bloody Valentine (Loveless), and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

I just realized Loveless wasn't on here either lol

Watch it not even make the top 20, but Folklore will.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
By reading the topic and the Lorde diss I was going to comment that Melodrama is better than 80% of Taylor's albums and than I opened the list and saw that it is Pure Heroin....a wild choice if its a single album per artist since Melodrama far surpasses that album in all legit statistics

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
There's no way these lists will align with my taste at all lol, but they're amusing to see.

Honestly the only albums there I care for is Alanis in #31, Kate Bush at #50 and Pink Floyd at #28. (maybe, maybe Discovery at #23, but it's not even my favourite from them tbh)

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
By reading the topic and the Lorde diss I was going to comment that Melodrama is better than 80% of Taylor's albums and than I opened the list and saw that it is Pure Heroin....a wild choice if its a single album per artist since Melodrama far surpasses that album in all legit statistics
Yep, I wouldn't complain about Melodrama. I wasn't even aware that Pure Heroine > Melodrama was an opinion anyone would have.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The key to enjoying a list like this is to not take it seriously.

There are some great albums here, and of course plenty of stuff I am meh about or don't know at all.

I wish they had a real text list and not that horrible interface though.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

• Frank Ocean
  • Taylor Swift
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Bloc Party
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • Marvin Gaye
  • Fiona Apple
  • Michael Jackson
  • Lauryn Hill
  • The Beach Boys
  • Bob Dylan
  • Nirvana
  • Adele
  • (The Weeknd)
  • (Olivia Rodrigo)
  • (JAY Z)
  • (Dr. Dre)
  • (Sonic Youth)
This list of "locks" is just as bizarre as the list itself so far. Maybe that was your point :P

Statistics? lol

To be fair Apple Music would make the type of list where they think that statistics have any relationship to quality

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
So artists sure to be in final 20:

Taylor Swift
Bob Dylan
The Beach Boys
Nirvana
Kendrick
Michael Jackson
The Rolling Stones
Joni Mitchell
Marvin Gaye
Queen
Adele

Maybes:
The Who
The Doors
REM
Frank Ocean
Lauryn Hill

Last edited:

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

• Frank Ocean
  • Taylor Swift
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Bloc Party
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • Marvin Gaye
  • Fiona Apple
  • Michael Jackson
  • Lauryn Hill
  • The Beach Boys
  • Bob Dylan
  • Nirvana
  • Adele
  • (The Weeknd)
  • (Olivia Rodrigo)
  • (JAY Z)
  • (Dr. Dre)
  • (Sonic Youth)

Miseducation of Lauryn Hill landing before the likes of Illmatic, Low End Theory, Ready 2 Die, and even The Score is madness.

DeBurgo

Oct 28, 2017
Looks kinda like a 2000s-era PFM list so far, wonder if they hired a bunch of those editors to make the list.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
So artists sure to be in final 20:

Taylor Swift
Bob Dylan
The Beach Boys
Nirvana
Kendrick
Michael Jackson
The Rolling Stones
Joni Mitchell
Marvin Gaye
Queen
Adele

Maybes:
The Who
The Doors
REM
Frank Ocean
Lauryn Hill
The Rolling Stones are at 53. Lauryn Hill is probably a lock. That album is ridiculously overrated nowadays.

Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel or Amy Winehouse could be possible.