• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters
Feb 14, 2024
After like 12 hours with the S9 Apple Watch I think I'm returning it. The always on display is neat but there's nothing else in there that I wouldn't miss on the Apple Watch SE for half the price and even that I'm rather tempted to just forgo for a bit.

Still super mad at myself for breaking the Series 4 watch I had. Battery life was shit but it at least worked.

Man I miss the Pebble watch.

Same. I find it crazy that a decade later, the Pebble is still the king of battery life and Apple has yet to catch up to it.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
What's the likelyhood the new 11inch pro has an HDR display? I want to upgrade my 4th gen iPad Pro and was thinking of going to the 11 inch, but the current one doesn't have HDR, only the 12.9.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I mean the 11-inch Pro has had HDR since the first one, so why wouldn't the next one?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Any of you using Homebrew on Macos?

If so, you should run a brew upgrade command ASAP!

A supply chain attack that modified "xz Utils" to plant a malware in it was just reported (xz Utils is a package that's installed as a dependency for sooo many things when using Homebrew). It's not clear yet if Macos can be infected as the malware seems to be mainly targeting Linux, but better safe than sorry. Get that bad version of xz out of your system!

arstechnica.com

Backdoor found in widely used Linux utility breaks encrypted SSH connections

Malicious code planted in xz Utils has been circulating for more than a month.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Yeah, the 11" already has DV support, e.g. Netflix app, but looks like crap on the old LCD display. Looking forward to having proper HDR on an 11" iPad, especially for YouTube.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
So I finally switched from passwords to passkeys using 1Password. With the exception of PayPal, everything worked fine. But when the "Create a passkey?" prompt appears in PayPal, the Create button doesn't do anything. And it's the same on the PayPal website too. I tap the Create a Passkey link, the 1Password prompt appears, and the Create button doesn't work.

Has anyone had this issue?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
So I finally switched from passwords to passkeys using 1Password. With the exception of PayPal, everything worked fine. But when the "Create a passkey?" prompt appears in PayPal, the Create button doesn't do anything. And it's the same on the PayPal website too. I tap the Create a Passkey link, the 1Password prompt appears, and the Create button doesn't work.

Has anyone had this issue?

I tried to set up a passkey for PayPal back in September. I know it was then because it's saved in 1Password. Despite it being saved there, and saved in the PayPal app, the app has never used it to log in; it always asks for my password and 2FA code. The website doesn't even give me the option to use or create a passkey.

So yeah, PayPal. It sucks.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I tried to set up a passkey for PayPal back in September. I know it was then because it's saved in 1Password. Despite it being saved there, and saved in the PayPal app, the app has never used it to log in; it always asks for my password and 2FA code. The website doesn't even give me the option to use or create a passkey.

So yeah, PayPal. It sucks.

meh. That's annoying. While googling, I found a bunch of Reddit threads about other Passkey-related issues with PayPal, so it seems they kinda fucked it up.

Unrelated: Considering just how few sites/apps I use have Passkey support, it's probably gonna take years until Passkeys really take off. meh, meh, meh.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Two movies I've watched today on itunes are lacking subtitles, The Guard and The Nice Guys. I've noticed a handful of others previously. I don't know how studios think this is acceptable? It seems like such a bizarre omission, esp as they are available on the dvds

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Two movies I've watched today on itunes are lacking subtitles, The Guard and The Nice Guys. I've noticed a handful of others previously. I don't know how studios think this is acceptable? It seems like such a bizarre omission, esp as they are available on the dvds
That is very strange. I don't think I've ever watched a movie on iTunes/Apple TV without subtitles

Oct 25, 2017
The Nice Guys on iTunes def has subtitles. Just checked on my copy on aTV.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That is very strange. I don't think I've ever watched a movie on iTunes/Apple TV without subtitles

The Nice Guys on iTunes def has subtitles. Just checked on my copy on aTV.

Thanks for the replies! how weird(for me), above half of image is from the nice guys, bottom half is from In Bruges where it does have the subtitles option. I am kinda baffled.. also checked nice guys on my iPad and no subs option there for nice guys either. Am I being dense somehow
IMG-0572.jpg

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Super uninformed question, I was wondering what an Apple TV would bring over a regular pc plugged via hdmi ?

Oct 31, 2017
Hi everyone, I just want to get some validation/confirmation if I'm making the right choice in buying an iPad for the first time. Basically, I have a decent Windows laptop and a midrange PC and I'm kinda deep into the Apple ecosystem (iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods and Apple TV). I'm looking at a refurbished M1 64GB iPad Air for 500 bucks (in my country that is; the 256GB is around 670 bucks). I mainly intend to use it for the following and nothing else:
  • Reading PDFs and comics
  • Writing notes on it (thinking of buying a Pencil 2 also)
  • Watching classes online
  • I'm not going to game on it (I rarely play mobile games anyway)
  • Rarely watching offline media on it (emphasis on 'rarely' since I only use it when I'm on a flight or something).
My family has a 2TB iCloud storage, and I can store my PDFs there anyways. Am I thinking of this very short term, or will this be fine for the foreseeable future?

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
simplicity

4k HDR (lots of windows streaming services limit resolution)
Same question for Apple TV use with Plex. I think I read people using Infuse to access Plex or something. But why ? Why not use hdmi or wifi, there is already a Plex app on my TV.
Please understand that I'm not arguing against the product, I'm genuinely looking to understand its potential use in my home.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
Hi everyone, I just want to get some validation/confirmation if I'm making the right choice in buying an iPad for the first time. Basically, I have a decent Windows laptop and a midrange PC and I'm kinda deep into the Apple ecosystem (iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods and Apple TV). I'm looking at a refurbished M1 64GB iPad Air for 500 bucks (in my country that is; the 256GB is around 670 bucks). I mainly intend to use it for the following and nothing else:
  • Reading PDFs and comics
  • Writing notes on it (thinking of buying a Pencil 2 also)
  • Watching classes online
  • I'm not going to game on it (I rarely play mobile games anyway)
  • Rarely watching offline media on it (emphasis on 'rarely' since I only use it when I'm on a flight or something).
My family has a 2TB iCloud storage, and I can store my PDFs there anyways. Am I thinking of this very short term, or will this be fine for the foreseeable future?
I would just say that the 64gb fills up VERY quickly. I had a 64gb Mini for mostly reading books and comics and some light gaming and some offline viewing and I was juggling space a lot, for whatever reason.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
I would just say that the 64gb fills up VERY quickly. I had a 64gb Mini for mostly reading books and comics and some light gaming and some offline viewing and I was juggling space a lot, for whatever reason.
Yeah, I agree there. 64gb with 2024 app sizes is not good. The struggle is real. Just waiting for the new ipads announcement to decide which sku to buy, myself. Ipad Pro 11'' 2017 or something, the battery dies within 3 hours of use, the thunderbolt plug only charges when orientated in a specific direction, it's time.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Same question for Apple TV use with Plex. I think I read people using Infuse to access Plex or something. But why ? Why not use hdmi or wifi, there is already a Plex app on my TV.
Please understand that I'm not arguing against the product, I'm genuinely looking to understand its potential use in my home.
Because I'd rather not have to drag my PC to my TV every time I'd want to stream something while also losing out on Atmos and Dolby Vision just to save 200 Euro once every five years.

as for why not use the TV App, aside from smart tv hardware being inferior the most obvious pro of the Apple TV is the lack of Advertisements and tracking. WebOS literally tells you it's going to watch along with you so it can "learn" what you watch. It's a damn travesty. My TV is completely disconnected from the internet and will remain that way for the duration of its existence in my household.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish we'd get a software update for Apple TV+ where we can add shows and movies to a watchlist opposed to "add to next". I never seep track of my content on Apple TV+ because of this.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I really wish we'd get a software update for Apple TV+ where we can add shows and movies to a watchlist opposed to "add to next". I never seep track of my content on Apple TV+ because of this.
It's such a weird thing not to have for a service like it. I actually don't really know where to find anything I added to "next" lol

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Question... I woke up this morning and I had a notification on my phone to enter my Apple ID password in settings... similar to what happened a couple of weeks back when their authentification servers went down.

However, when I entered settings, I was asked to enter the password for an ID that wasn't mine. I clicked on "Not Now".

What does this mean? Any ideas?

Oct 25, 2017
Question... I woke up this morning and I had a notification on my phone to enter my Apple ID password in settings... similar to what happened a couple of weeks back when their authentification servers went down.

However, when I entered settings, I was asked to enter the password for an ID that wasn't mine. I clicked on "Not Now".

What does this mean? Any ideas?

Be careful as there is a phishing attack going around at the moment:
https://www.macrumors.com/2024/03/26/apple-password-reset-phishing-attack/

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
My god, my iCloud email account is full of scammy spam. Like I don't even use it anymore for email. So much fake offers and scams. Like 20 messages telling me my Peacock membership expired. (I don't have one) Or offers for YETI or STANLEY cups.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I upgraded to an iPhone 15 Pro Max the other day, and the bezels are so narrow it was terrible using it without a case. When gripping it my palm would make unwanted touches at the edge of the screen. The new location of the power button means I have to hold it slightly different too, because I've accidentally turned off the screen so many times.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I got a notification on my iPhone this morning for a calendar event. It looked like the notification would have been created by the Apple Calendar app, but I don't have that app installed. I dismissed the notification but now I wish I could try to action it. iOS apparently lacks Android's notification history feature. Is there any way for me to figure out what the heck this was apart from installing the Calendar app and seeing if it shows up there?

I also know who would have sent the event info based on the information that was displayed in the notification, so I suppose I could ask them about it.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
I got a notification on my iPhone this morning for a calendar event. It looked like the notification would have been created by the Apple Calendar app, but I don't have that app installed. I dismissed the notification but now I wish I could try to action it. iOS apparently lacks Android's notification history feature. Is there any way for me to figure out what the heck this was apart from installing the Calendar app and seeing if it shows up there?

I also know who would have sent the event info based on the information that was displayed in the notification, so I suppose I could ask them about it.
No. For years been hoping the next iOS gets a notification history - its just so easy to miss something when you're swiping through a bunch.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
No. For years been hoping the next iOS gets a notification history - its just so easy to miss something when you're swiping through a bunch.

The worst is when you select a notification, it takes you into the app, but not to the item in the notification...and then you can't find the damn thing it wanted you to see. So you go back to the notifications and IT'S GONE!!!!! Why do notifications have to go away when you select them?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The worst is when you select a notification, it takes you into the app, but not to the item in the notification...and then you can't find the damn thing it wanted you to see. So you go back to the notifications and IT'S GONE!!!!! Why do notifications have to go away when you select them?

Enter code YOUWONTREMEMBERTHIS4192024 in the cart to get 90% off any item!

Wait what was the code, the app doesn't show it