• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Is it much better to get a screen protector with a cutoff on the notch like the jetech one? Or it doesn't really matter?
I don't use screen protectors, but i read somewhere (no idea if true) that screenprotectors with a "FaceID" cutout suck and those that cover the entire screen are better.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
More and more G3/G4 repair and teardown videos keep showing up in my Youtube feed and I'm having to repress a real urge to dig my eMac out of storage, swap its dead HDD for a SSD drive, and dual boot OS 9 and OS X on it for shits/giggles. Maybe someday.

Also, been getting a real itch for Simcity lately. I loved 2000 and 3000 in my youth but never had the proper hardware to enjoy Simcity 4 and thus I've missed it. Tempted to nab it for $20 from the Mac App Store...

...or should I get Cities Skylines instead? I'm concerned my 2016 base model Macbook Pro might not be up to snuff to run the game well, especially when the city gets larger.

I know the game just released on Switch, but I feel like it's the kind of thing that would play much better with a mouse interface.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Nevermind! Looks like this article covered the matter, and it looks like it's a resounding "Don't Bother". Simcity 4 it is!

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
More and more G3/G4 repair and teardown videos keep showing up in my Youtube video and I'l having to repress a real urge to dig my eMac out of storage, swap its dead HDD for a SSD drive, and dual boot OS 9 and OS X on it for shits/giggles. Maybe someday.

Also, been getting a real itch for Simcity lately. I loved 2000 and 3000 in my youth but never had the proper hardware to enjoy Simcity 4 and thus I've missed it. Tempted to nab it for $20 from the Mac App Store...

...or should I get Cities Skylines instead? I'm concerned my 2016 base model Macbook Pro might not be up to snuff to run the game well, especially when the city gets larger.

I know the game just released on Switch, but I feel like it's the kind of thing that would play much better with a mouse interface.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Nevermind! Looks like this article covered the matter, and it looks like it's a resounding "Don't Bother". Simcity 4 it is!
I used to play it on my 2013 MBP at max specs and it would run great at first, but as is pretty much standard for the game on all platforms, the bigger the city gets, the slower it runs. It's a great game. It just has its issues.

Still waiting on the Mac mini and still waiting to be disappointed.
Me too.

Give me just the right upgrade and I'll buy day one to replace my iMac.

Fuck it up again and I'll just keep the thing for now.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My Apple Watch has been randomly dying very fast some days lately. I can't figure it out. Some days it's normal, other days I'll get a low power notification at like noon. I put it on the charger every night in nightstand mode. What worries me more is that I just put it in power reserve mode like an hour ago at 10% battery and it's already completely dead, no time on screen or anything. It shouldn't die that fast in power reserve, right?

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Apple just charged my CC for the apple watch that I ordered the afternoon after pre-order day. Hopefully it comes soon.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The Mac mini would certainly be a good test run for Apple in making an Ax ARM-based Mac. Not saying that will happen, but it would be one of the best places to start the transition without a great deal of risk.

Oct 25, 2017
My Mac Mini's ethernet died this week. The internal hard drive is dying. The HDMI port doesn't work and the DVI one flickers (I run it headless anyway, and only attach a screen I have to troubleshoot something). At least the USB ports (or the 3 I use) still work.

Please let there be a damn update.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone answer a MacBook question? How big of a difference is installing Windows 10 in boot camp than just using Parallels?

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone answer a MacBook question? How big of a difference is installing Windows 10 in boot camp than just using Parallels?
Huge. What will you be using Windows for?

SIDE QUESTION:

I have a question about Apple Watch bands. I'm looking for something very specific and I've tried searching but I need help. Are there any Apple Watch bands from third parties that have some sort of small slip pouch built into the band? Reason I ask is I have a very small key fob that I have to carry around on a keychain and it'd be much nicer if I can just attach it to a watch band so I don't need to use a hand to press it against the reader when entering or exiting a building.

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly use it to use apps that aren't on Mac and to play some games. I have a MacBook 2012 with Windows 10 installed on boot camp. It runs some games(Xbox360 era) usually at mid to lower settings. Would that not be possible on Parallels?
Not really. Gaming through Parallels should really be reserved for very basic games, indie, or light gaming, especially if you're already playing them on mid/low settings.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Gonna be bummed if Apple EOLs the current 12" Macbook this month. Really love the design and sleekness of those models, and I kinda regret not getting one of those instead of my MacBook Pro back in 2016. Hoping I'll be able to move onto one whenever my current computer gives up the ghost someday.

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be bummed if Apple EOLs the current 12" Macbook this month. Really love the design and sleekness of those models, and I kinda regret not getting one of those instead of my MacBook Pro back in 2016. Hoping I'll be able to move onto one whenever my current computer gives up the ghost someday.

The size is definitely appealing, but it seems like (contrary to what I expected) the retina MacBook is either too expensive and/or too limited to be a replacement for the MBA. If they could slap another USB-C port on there and make it $999 I think it'd work but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, dont know if this is the place, but my iPad Air (1st Gen) died a few days ago. Took it to a shop and they told me it was a problem with the NAND chip or something like that, and they want to charge me like $150 for the repair.

The question is, is it worth it to repair these things? Or would I be better off start looking for a good price on a new one?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Hey guys, dont know if this is the place, but my iPad Air (1st Gen) died a few days ago. Took it to a shop and they told me it was a problem with the NAND chip or something like that, and they want to charge me like $150 for the repair.

The question is, is it worth it to repair these things? Or would I be better off start looking for a good price on a new one?

The 2018 iPad is $329 MSRP and goes on sale for $300. $150 is half the cost of that so I'd argue it's not worth fixing.

I have a Gold model, barely used, with Apple Pencil that I'm actually looking to part with for $400 if you're interested.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I would have bought the last MacBook if it had two USBC ports. Get rid of the headphone jack, I don't need it.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Christ all mighty I just tried to use my gf's mid 2012 Macbook Pro (13 inch) and it's so unbelieveably slow I want to throw it out the window.

4GB RAM, 5400 RPM drive shit. Is this even worth upgrading to 8GB and an SSD drive?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Okay, so the Dock has had a feature for years where minimized windows go into the icon instead of lining up at the end of the Dock which is nice. It keeps things clean and uncluttered if you want it.

However, I don't like how it doesn't give you any indication that there are windows down there at all. So you don't know if you have any minimized windows or not unless you check manually.

But it is nice that the minimized windows do show up in the App Exposé view. A view I rarely actually use since I'm mostly a fullscreen user, and fullscreen "Space" windows don't show up in this view for some reason.

I also just noticed that the App Exposé will know which app you're hovering over in the Dock and will show the windows for that app if you don't want to actually switch the app first. However, you can't even activate App Exposé at all if you're in a fullscreen space which is silly. Even if you bring up the Dock first and hover over the Finder icon for example.

I hope 10.15 brings some changes to this like making the Dock put some sort of indicator on or under the app icon when there's minimized windows, like maybe a second dot or two. I'd kinda like to keep this option turned on. As well as an option to keep the menubar showing at all times even in fullscreen spaces.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Nah man, get the ... uhm ... new ... "iPad" (the one they released early this year), it starts at 329 bucks (32gig, WiFi) - and it's got crazy good specs for that price, as well as ApplePencil support.

So unless your iPad Air is a high specced (storage, cellular?) version, i'd go for that.

Okay, so the Dock has had a feature for years where minimized windows go into the icon instead of lining up at the end of the Dock which is nice. It keeps things clean and uncluttered if you want it.

However, I don't like how it doesn't give you any indication that there are windows down there at all. So you don't know if you have any minimized windows or not unless you check manually.

But it is nice that the minimized windows do show up in the App Exposé view. A view I rarely actually use since I'm mostly a fullscreen user, and fullscreen "Space" windows don't show up in this view for some reason.

I also just noticed that the App Exposé will know which app you're hovering over in the Dock and will show the windows for that app if you don't want to actually switch the app first. However, you can't even activate App Exposé at all if you're in a fullscreen space which is silly. Even if you bring up the Dock first and hover over the Finder icon for example.

I hope 10.15 brings some changes to this like making the Dock put some sort of indicator on or under the app icon when there's minimized windows, like maybe a second dot or two. I'd kinda like to keep this option turned on. As well as an option to keep the menubar showing at all times even in fullscreen spaces.

So you want windows to minimize into the application icon, but have the icon show that there's a minimized window in there? Personally, I think you'll have to learn to live with windows minimizing into the right side of the dock. Some people are already not quite aware of the "app-is-running" white dot under the app icon, i don't think another indicator would be a good idea, and would only needlessly complicate the dock UI.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Christ all mighty I just tried to use my gf's mid 2012 Macbook Pro (13 inch) and it's so unbelieveably slow I want to throw it out the window.

4GB RAM, 5400 RPM drive shit. Is this even worth upgrading to 8GB and an SSD drive?

It's entirely dependent on what she uses it for. If it's basic tasks (Internet/E-Mail/Pages, etc.) you'll probably get another two to three years out of it by tossing in some RAM and a SSD. I'd say toss the existing drive in an enclosure, do a clean install of macOS on the SSD, and have her pull over her data as she needs it and it'll likely feel like a whole new machine.

Listing of my aforementioned iPad if anyone is interested.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

HDD vs. SSD is the main impediment to speed in just about all computers.

My Late 2012 15" rMBP with 16 GB ram and 256 GB SSD is essentially indistinguishable in speed from my Late 2017 13" rMBP with TB with similar size ram and SSD for normal computing. If you are doing heavy computing (encoding 4K video etc) then you would notice a big difference.

That said whether it is worth it to upgrade is up to you and the state of that computer, ports needed, etc. I would rather buy new than upgrade a 2012 laptop. You never know when you might need a big repair that would make upgrading a waste, or you laptop could survive for many years to come.

Oct 25, 2017
HDD vs. SSD is the main impediment to speed in just about all computers.

My Late 2012 15" rMBP with 16 GB ram and 256 GB SSD is essentially indistinguishable in speed from my Late 2017 13" rMBP with TB with similar size ram and SSD for normal computing. If you are doing heavy computing (encoding 4K video etc) then you would notice a big difference.

That said whether it is worth it to upgrade is up to you and the state of that computer, ports needed, etc. I would rather buy new than upgrade a 2012 laptop. You never know when you might need a big repair that would make upgrading a waste, or you laptop could survive for many years to come.

If it's a 2012 model you have Thunderbolt 1 and more crucially USB3, so it's not that outdated for basic use cases. If you really avail yourself of Thunderbolt 2-3 speeds, you're probably in a category where you'd be better served with a much faster computer anyhow.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

get the SSD, skip the memory.

SSDs have become super cheap (60 bucks for 250gig). Meanwhile, i feel like memory is still more expensive than it's worth - especially that ones that your older mac would need.
i second maximumzero s recommendation to put the HDD into 10$ enclosure.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to get an AppleTV. Is it a good time to buy one now or is a new revision expected soonish?
No rumors at all. Considering the current top model supports 4K HDR with Atmos and is powered by an A10X, there is barely anything to upgrade tbh.

Speaking of Apple TV, the new earth from space screensavers are amazing.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Nah man, get the ... uhm ... new ... "iPad" (the one they released early this year), it starts at 329 bucks (32gig, WiFi) - and it's got crazy good specs for that price, as well as ApplePencil support.

So unless your iPad Air is a high specced (storage, cellular?) version, i'd go for that.
It is a 16gb + cellular, but yeah that's what I thought, couple with the fact they told me there's a chance the "fix" wouldn't work since they have to use heat to remove the chip.

I think I'll wait for BF next month
thanks man

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
My Apple Watch has been randomly dying very fast some days lately. I can't figure it out. Some days it's normal, other days I'll get a low power notification at like noon. I put it on the charger every night in nightstand mode. What worries me more is that I just put it in power reserve mode like an hour ago at 10% battery and it's already completely dead, no time on screen or anything. It shouldn't die that fast in power reserve, right?

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Something syncing to it? Like say Overcast, which tries to download all podcasts you subscribe to to the watch.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
get the SSD, skip the memory.

SSDs have become super cheap (60 bucks for 250gig). Meanwhile, i feel like memory is still more expensive than it's worth - especially that ones that your older mac would need.
i second maximumzero s recommendation to put the HDD into 10$ enclosure.

Really? I'd rather have the ram over the SSD. Though ideally I'd want both. 4GB is pretty low these days. On my work MBP, though granted its a 2016, I'd be over 4GB in just casual use.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
So you want windows to minimize into the application icon, but have the icon show that there's a minimized window in there? Personally, I think you'll have to learn to live with windows minimizing into the right side of the dock. Some people are already not quite aware of the "app-is-running" white dot under the app icon, i don't think another indicator would be a good idea, and would only needlessly complicate the dock UI.
Minimize into icon is already an option that's off by default as it is. It wouldn't hurt in the slightest to put an indicator there too. Even Windows gives you an idea of how many windows are in a stack of minimized windows. Anyone who knows enough to actually turn the option on is going to know what the indicator means. Everyone else will just live with them in the right end of the Dock and never even know the option exists.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
If you use up all your RAM, it's going to page to disk. SSD is still the fundamental bottleneck.

Which is why I'd want to upgrade both. I can't imagine its that expensive these days for 8gb of ram and an SSD. Though wouldn't it still be faster to keep what you need in ram instead of having to use swap space on the disk? I imagine with 8gb ram it wouldn't be a problem. Though I also agree that using a 5400rpm drive these days is terrible.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Which is why I'd want to upgrade both. I can't imagine its that expensive these days for 8gb of ram and an SSD. Though wouldn't it still be faster to keep what you need in ram instead of having to use swap space on the disk? I imagine with 8gb ram it wouldn't be a problem. Though I also agree that using a 5400rpm drive these days is terrible.

you might be right.

Way back when i upgraded the RAM of my white plastic macbook, the memory sticks that were compatible to the device were actually more than / as expensive as way faster higher capacity memory. Because those sticks were, by now, rather "niche" products that certainly weren't mass produced at a larger scale anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-...id=1538978823&sr=8-4&keywords=sodimm+4gb+1600

an 8 gig kit seems to be around the same price as an SSD. I still think, the SSD should be the top priority

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
you might be right.

Way back when i upgraded the RAM of my white plastic macbook, the memory sticks that were compatible to the device were actually more than / as expensive as way faster higher capacity memory. Because those sticks were, by now, rather "niche" products that certainly weren't mass produced at a larger scale anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-...id=1538978823&sr=8-4&keywords=sodimm+4gb+1600

an 8 gig kit seems to be around the same price as an SSD. I still think, the SSD should be the top priority

I'm pretty sure that macbook pro has 2 ram slots, and already has 4, he would just need 1 more stick of 4, which in that link is $34. So cheap its definitely worth it, and money left for an SSD.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that macbook pro has 2 ram slots, and already has 4, he would just need 1 more stick of 4, which in that link is $34. So cheap its definitely worth it, and money left for an SSD.

unless the 4gigs are in 2x2GB, which is often the case, no? But that's just a technicality.
I still stand with the statement that the SSD should be of higher priority than the memory, because that's what's going to make the machine feel noticeably faster.

Pepiope

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, Jonathan Morrison trolling Android fanboys by pretending XS Max selfies were from Pixel 2 XL, and revealing the truth later in a video is hilarious and a reminder of how much nonsense this tribalistic shit is.
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/9m8luo/johnathan_morrison_made_the_whole_of_twitter_and/

Also a sly dig at people doing that lame ott facepalm for YouTube thumbnail (unbox therapy dig?)

I'm upset people on focused on these two non issues when the LTE/WiFi issues are actually problems with the phone. Haven't found anything yet if there's a fix in the 12.1 beta.

Edit: Apparently there's some hope for LTE, but nothing on WiFi :(

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...-xs-lte-connectivity-apple-investigation/amp/

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Thinking of finally making the jump into an AppleTV for my media consumption. I know how to rip my DVDs & Blu-Rays with MakeMKV and Handbrake, but what's the best way to get those onto the AppleTV itself? My Macbook Pro only has a fairly small SSD to begin with, and I'd hate to fill up iTunes full of movies that I won't be using regularly.

Is there a way to have AppleTV pull media from a drive connected over the network?