• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
We got some sweet deals on the MacBook Pro 2017 in the recent days, if only the specs of the new Air would leak at least...

Manalicream

Sep 12, 2018
I'm on a 2010 macbook Air and it is performing terribly so I think it's time to invest. I could get the 2017 13" pro, but are there any rumours of an imminent update ?

I'd use it mostly for work/office tools and browsing

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on a 2010 macbook Air and it is performing terribly so I think it's time to invest. I could get the 2017 13" pro, but are there any rumours of an imminent update ?

I'd use it mostly for work/office tools and browsing

The Pro line was just updated in July. I wouldn't expect any larger design revamps within the next few years, neither will we see a spec bump for at least 9-10 months.
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
OK cool so for that 1200 budget do you think the entry level pro is the way to go, or a standard macbook ?

The standard macbook has not been updated for a while.

I'm having a hard time recommending the touch-bar-less 13" Macbook Pro because of the limited connectivity (2 USB-C) which will, for now, still be a huge hassle to the end user, because the connector's still got a long way to go until it's as ubiquitous as USB-A.

Meanwhile, the touch bar model has the touch bar (which is mostly a gimmick) but also at least 4 connectors. And it's got "8th gen" intel CPUs, as opposed to the non-touch bar having 7th gen.

Even the $ 1799 model isn't all that much more powerful, and also only starts at 8gigs of RAM, so from a sheer performance standpoint the $1299 model seems to be the best value. A 128gig SSD is nothing to write home about these days, either.

So uhm, the only one i would not recommend you buy is the 1499 model.

The refurbished macs look like decent deals.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...-Intel-Core-i5-with-Retina-display-Space-Gray

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

I'm having a hard time recommending the touch-bar-less 13" Macbook Pro because of the limited connectivity (2 USB-C) which will, for now, still be a huge hassle to the end user, because the connector's still got a long way to go until it's as ubiquitous as USB-A.

Meanwhile, the touch bar model has the touch bar (which is mostly a gimmick) but also at least 4 connectors. And it's got "8th gen" intel CPUs, as opposed to the non-touch bar having 7th gen.

Even the $ 1799 model isn't all that much more powerful, and also only starts at 8gigs of RAM, so from a sheer performance standpoint the $1299 model seems to be the best value. A 128gig SSD is nothing to write home about these days, either.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...-Intel-Core-i5-with-Retina-display-Space-Gray

I always recommend refurbished Apple products if you're shopping, as they're often the cheapest option and come with the same warranty.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I always recommend refurbished Apple products if you're shopping, as they're often the cheapest option and come with the same warranty.
Yeah I bought a refurbished 15inch 2017 MacBook Pro last November and everything about it looked and felt brand new, think it was around £300 cheaper than buying it new.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any Thunderbolt 3 RAID enclosure recommendations?

I used to have a Pegasus RAID at my old job but it's so incredibly expensive. I tried buying just a 8TB WD drive but I'm finding it lacking for video editing purposes

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
With the 2012 rMBP 15" unlock via Apple Watch? it says in some article that 2012 and earlier Mac's will not unlock via Apple watch. But the 2012 rMBP 15" was late 2012 and it was a new computer... so I am holding out hope!

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
With the 2012 rMBP 15" unlock via Apple Watch? it says in some article that 2012 and earlier Mac's will not unlock via Apple watch. But the 2012 rMBP 15" was late 2012 and it was a new computer... so I am holding out hope!
I don't know but I t's a pretty spotty way of unlocking anyway, I wouldn't really consider it a decision factor.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Watch unlocks my 2015 5K iMac spot on the three times I have used it so far. Better than putting in the passcode.

Oct 25, 2017
For those that don't have the unlock with Watch feature because they don't have a watch or a capable Mac, I used to use https://unlox.it and it worked well enough.

https://david-smith.org/blog/2018/10/12/exploring-custom-watchos-watch-faces/

weather-face.png

The inner ring shows the temperature for the next 12 hours (warmer colors are hotter, cooler colors are colder), the outer ring shows the likelihood of precipitation. So in this example, rain for the next 2 hours then tapering off until 1AM while the temperature is slowly cooling off. The second hand's color shifts throughout the day with the current temperature.

Some interesting ideas.

Last edited:

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2016 MacBook Pro keyboard is fucking up more now and im ready to get it repaired. Has anyone done the free repair program with them and how long it took

Also what external hard drives are you guys using with fast data transfer. Want something obviously with usb c.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Any reason why my old iphone 6s plus can't connect with itunes? The other devices had no problem connecting. The software always go not responding.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am trying to get used to my butterfly keyboard on my MacBook Pro. I remember being really good with it at first but then I went to an external keyboard because I use an external mouse and it was weird to use the mouse when the trackpad was right below my hands.

I don't mind the butterfly keyboard and it honestly feels pretty good to type on it but for some reason, I feel like the keyboard is a little too stretched for my liking.

Merun

Oct 25, 2017
2016 MacBook Pro keyboard is fucking up more now and im ready to get it repaired. Has anyone done the free repair program with them and how long it took

Also what external hard drives are you guys using with fast data transfer. Want something obviously with usb c.

My shift key kind of didn't work properly depending on where I pressed, that is, where I press normally . Apple Store repair took 10 minutes to replace the key. The repair was not perfect but it worked for how I type usually . However if it doesn't solve the issue, then they may keep it longer.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
For goodness sake Apple...

Upcoming iPad Pro could be 5.9mm thin, and with no headphone jack: - https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/12/2018-ipad-pro-models-dimensions-no-headphone-jack/

I actually don't care about the lack of headphone socket as much as the need for Apple to make their stuff as thin as possible. Why?!

By keeping to a similar thickness as my current iPad Pro (1st generation), they could offer a bigger — and longer lasting — battery as well as having a camera that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, and is flush with the back of the iPad itself.

I bet the price will be jacked right up from £619 to £679-699 too, if the prices of the new iPhone's are anything to go by.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the only knock on it is that it still has a camera at all, but old people love taking pictures with their tablets
Why would anyone want a tablet to become less useful anyway? It's also important in office use, video calling and whatnot. Removing the camera would be a surefire way of hitting its appeal and hurt sales for no good reason.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why would anyone want a tablet to become less useful anyway? It's also important in office use, video calling and whatnot. Removing the camera would be a surefire way of hitting its appeal and hurt sales for no good reason.

video calling is better used forward facing, i cant think of it being used in the office

and it takes up space and makes the back uneven

it will hurt sales though - like i said, old ppl take photos with their giant tablets while on vacation

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
if anything I'm disappointed they didn't put the latest camera modules in the iPad Pro line up this far considering what they're charging.
Looking at the Xr, it might finally happen this year though.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
video calling is better used forward facing, i cant think of it being used in the office

and it takes up space and makes the back uneven

it will hurt sales though - like i said, old ppl take photos with their giant tablets while on vacation
You never had a FaceTime call when you switched to the back camera to show something? It's very common with portable devices that you can walk and move around with while using. In the office of small businesses it's very useful for fast document scanning. Not to mention ARkit just increased the usefulness of it for everyone - including a first party Measure app. The sky is the limit with what you can do with a camera in a portable device, actual photography is a small part of it in a tablet - although it can be fun in some contexts to use that huge viewfinder.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I'm betting £799 at least.

I would call it a day with Apple if they did this...

They have always been on the pricey side, but the stuff they put out these days is definitely too expensive.

I remember buying the original iPad Pro for £549 at John Lewis back in 2016, and thought that that was not a bad price for it. These days, they go for £619... and I can only see them (inevitably) increasing the price for the next model.

And then how to do the scanning apps work?

By typing out each barcode number like the good old days!

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017

Just received the most recent MacBook Air as a gift two days ago. 256GB. Is the refurbished MacBook Pro listed above a better deal? I can still return this one. I just want to make sure that the air is not being updated soon and I can get a better deal with the pro.

Thanks

thebigcountry

Oct 28, 2017
Just received the most recent MacBook Air as a gift two days ago. 256GB. Is the refurbished MacBook Pro listed above a better deal? I can still return this one. I just want to make sure that the air is not being updated soon and I can get a better deal with the pro.

Thanks
A new entry-level Mac laptop has been rumored all year, and will likely be introduced alongside iPad Pro updates before year's end. So I would return the Air for store credit, and wait for that laptop. The current Air is not a bad laptop, but it uses a 3-year old CPU, and the screen is terrible for the price.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Hey, never owned an iPhone, and Im actually for the first time considering having one after having tried out Xperia, Google Nexus (lol), currently using S8+ which is good, but its sooo small. And I even have the + size, how is the Xs Max? How does it feel, how does the screen look while using it, how is the battery?

Im itching to try out iOS as I've never had one myself.

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, never owned an iPhone, and Im actually for the first time considering having one after having tried out Xperia, Google Nexus (lol), currently using S8+ which is good, but its sooo small. And I even have the + size, how is the Xs Max? How does it feel, how does the screen look while using it, how is the battery?

Have you considered an iPad?

Oct 25, 2017
For those that don't have the unlock with Watch feature because they don't have a watch or a capable Mac, I used to use https://unlox.it and it worked well enough.

https://david-smith.org/blog/2018/10/12/exploring-custom-watchos-watch-faces/

Some interesting ideas.
It's fun to see these different ideas, but as much as I would like being able to roll my own watch face I can't se Apple doing it, and I don't think they really should either. I think the bigger issue is standardizing feature sets across their current watch faces so they don't feel so disparate and have features that don't logically extend to similar faces.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017

Battery has been fine. I can get through a full day of heavy usage and still have some left when I get home. The screen is great. In terms of size I thought it was huge at first but as usual within a couple of hours of use I didn't even notice it anymore.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
A new entry-level Mac laptop has been rumored all year, and will likely be introduced alongside iPad Pro updates before year's end. So I would return the Air for store credit, and wait for that laptop. The current Air is not a bad laptop, but it uses a 3-year old CPU, and the screen is terrible for the price.

Sounds good. Yea this will be my first MacBook so I just want to make sure that I am getting something worth it. Is the refurbished MacBook Pro mentioned above a better deal?

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I currently own an iPad 3 and am considering to buy a new one. Would buying the ipad Pro be an overkill over the current gen iPad? I enjoy watching Netflix and other media on my current iPad 3.

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
So I currently own an iPad 3 and am considering to buy a new one. Would buying the ipad Pro be an overkill over the current gen iPad? I enjoy watching Netflix and other media on my current iPad 3.

Thanks.
If you're just consuming content all you'd really be getting with the more expensive model is a nicer screen. A regular iPad would be a nice upgrade over your 3 and be far more capable.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

A nicer screen is never a bad thing...lol. Now I'm reading up about a possible new ipad Pro being unveiled this month? Hmmm.
Honestly, with what new releases can do to pricing of old hardware by third party retailers like Best Buy or Target, or what might then pop up in Apple's refurbished store (which is great. Don't be put off by buying refurbished. I bought my 2012 iMac that I used up to this year from them with no real trouble) you might get a good deal on something or only paying slightly more for an "upgrade" pick from what you'd be buying now. Wait a few weeks to see if something gets announced.

Oct 25, 2017
Several days now without finding it. I lost an AirPod. :/ And it was the good one that was working normally.

Refresh now, please.