• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, so is safe to assume apple will update their pro 13 base model next year?, I'm thinking maybe is time to move on from my 2012 imac, still works great but is getting really slow after a couple of hours of intense Ps and illustrator work, and it's a 21" model so there goes any thought of upgrading the hdd or ram.

I like the idea of an ultrabook and I've been looking at the xps13 (and zenbooks) and I'd might get a nice deal on BF, I don't mind going back to windows, but most of the alternatives in the same line have not convinced me yet.
It's pretty likely. The MBP line is the most consistently updated. May not be until the end of the year, though.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
A friend is asking me for laptop advice, and I don't know how to help her because I haven't bought one since 2011. At work, I use a 2013 MacBook Pro.

This person is very budget conscious and won't be using it for anything demanding. What's the safest, most reliable pick right now? Best Buy has some dirt cheap refurbished options but I think a good warranty is important to her.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
A friend is asking me for laptop advice, and I don't know how to help her because I haven't bought one since 2011. At work, I use a 2013 MacBook Pro.

This person is very budget conscious and won't be using it for anything demanding. What's the safest, most reliable pick right now? Best Buy has some dirt cheap refurbished options but I think a good warranty is important to her.

I'd say the new Macbook Air?
Feel like it hits the price / value sweet spot for anyone who doesn't do all that much content creation and it should last her for the next ... 6-8 years

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody found any decent cases for the new iPad Pros? Don't really want to spend £85 on Apple's folio case.

Doesn't seem like anyone had the specs ahead of time. I was surprised that there is no Logitech case available at launch. I love last years 10.5 Logitech case. I know a lot of people didn't like it...

The pencil charging on the side of the device sort of limits how much the case can cover the iPad.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I finally bought myself an iPad after all these years. I have the 2018 model. Is Apple's Smart Cover the only "case" I can buy that doesn't cover the back and also serves as a stand? No matter where I look it's like Apple is the only one. I like the design, but $40 seems so steep. And last official Apple case (iPhone) I had started to fall apart only after a few months, making me even more leery.

thebigcountry

Oct 28, 2017
Which year, specifically? What was wrong with last year's screen?
The problem with the classic MacBook Air's screen is that it's a TN panel from 2010. Poor viewing angles, bad color accuracy, and it's got those thicc non-Retina pixels. An $800 PC laptop, like this Asus, has a screen that's worlds better.

That being said, I'd recommend the classic Air in this case. The classic Air will be $800 on Black Friday, it doesn't require a $50+ trip to Dongletown, and they're dead reliable.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
An iMac with SSD might be another one to look into at a certain price point. Hell they've probably been the best bang for the buck Mac for a while...(I just don't like having a built in screen myself).

Anyway a 4K quad core with GPU won't be as fast CPU wise but you get the GPU and nice screen. And keyboard and mouse (I'd pick the trackpad though). If you can wait an indeterminate amount of time you could wait for it to get updated to newer CPUs. But with Apple that could be around the corner or late next year for all we know. If you need sooner, the good thing is that they've been out a while so there should be deals here and there like Apple's refurb store or other promos.

Use the savings of buying a Mac desktop over a Mac laptop to enter the iPad/Pencil life :p

I've done the Mac mini and iPad combo for a while now actually...I'd like a MacBook but need it so rarely I can't justify buying one. I got a cheap PC one just in case I need a laptop but barely use it.

Thanks - I hadn't actually considered an iMac, I'd sorta forgotten they existed! It does seem better value tbf, even if it's more than £1000 to start, it has the monitor and all the accessories included in the price. I'm not sure about the built in monitor myself either, but other than that it's quite good! This is probably a silly question, but are they reliable enough to last a good few years? My laptop was only really *nice* to use for about a year and a bit, and now it's just awful - would really like to avoid that again.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to backup my iPhone XS to iTunes on my PC. It only gives me the option to set up as a new phone or restore from a backup from a previous iPhone. When I go to the file menu the option to back up my phone is grayed out.

I'd like to backup to iTunes because the iCloud backup takes forever. Any suggestions?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't click on any embedded tweet in this website to take me to Twitter, in Safari, since the Mojave update. It gives me an error such as "403 Forbidden: The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.".

Anyone knows how I fix this?

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know why certain complications can't be shown on the Apple Watch Series 4? It's infuriating. Is there a fix or anything coming? It's beyond dumb that I can't put messages and mail on my infograph modular face.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know why certain complications can't be shown on the Apple Watch Series 4? It's infuriating. Is there a fix or anything coming? It's beyond dumb that I can't put messages and mail on my infograph modular face.

The Infograph faces require different complications than other faces. Supposedly Messages and Mail (and some of the other missing complications) are coming in 5.1.2.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks - I hadn't actually considered an iMac, I'd sorta forgotten they existed! It does seem better value tbf, even if it's more than £1000 to start, it has the monitor and all the accessories included in the price. I'm not sure about the built in monitor myself either, but other than that it's quite good! This is probably a silly question, but are they reliable enough to last a good few years? My laptop was only really *nice* to use for about a year and a bit, and now it's just awful - would really like to avoid that again.

I use one from 2011. It's way past it's prime but it was in use almost every day with a windows VM. New ones will last much longer with their ssd's. A 27" iMac will go a long way.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I can't click on any embedded tweet in this website to take me to Twitter, in Safari, since the Mojave update. It gives me an error such as "403 Forbidden: The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.".

Anyone knows how I fix this?

same issue here. It's hit or miss.

What's even worse is, that i can't be logged into twitter, otherwise i'm stuck at
l1wfXJT.png

which isn't a huge deal, as i don't actively use twitter... (only to upload PS4 and Switch gameplay footage)

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with the classic MacBook Air's screen is that it's a TN panel from 2010. Poor viewing angles, bad color accuracy, and it's got those thicc non-Retina pixels. An $800 PC laptop, like this Asus, has a screen that's worlds better.

That being said, I'd recommend the classic Air in this case. The classic Air will be $800 on Black Friday, it doesn't require a $50+ trip to Dongletown, and they're dead reliable.

Yeah they should stop selling the non-retina Air. And the iMac with the spinning hard drive. Gives a bad impression.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Funny. When I got my iPhone X, it felt huge to me. (I upgraded from a 5s)
Yesterday, for the first time, it felt kind of small to me.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, but no. It has been going on for much, much longer.

edit: I misunderstood but the answer is still no, as I'm still getting the same error :(
same issue here. It's hit or miss.

What's even worse is, that i can't be logged into twitter, otherwise i'm stuck at
l1wfXJT.png

which isn't a huge deal, as i don't actively use twitter... (only to upload PS4 and Switch gameplay footage)
Yeah I get that message sometimes as well. Haven't tracked down the difference between the 2 messages I can get. And then I click that link and it still doesn't work.

Sometimes I just open Twitter on a new tab and search for that user name... not ideal.

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got to play with my new MBA. (first Mac)

It is getting fairly warm/hot. Especially the area around F3-F8 keys. The upper side with the keyboard is even warmer.
I have it on my lap and I can really feel the heat.

So far I am just browsing and setting up my stuff... so nothing to intensiv.

Is that normal or to worry about?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another Overcast update, another disappointment that the Watch app is fixed.

This'll be my last post about it. Just sucks, you know?

GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't seem to backup my iPhone XS to iTunes on my PC. It only gives me the option to set up as a new phone or restore from a backup from a previous iPhone. When I go to the file menu the option to back up my phone is grayed out.

I'd like to backup to iTunes because the iCloud backup takes forever. Any suggestions?
This is expected behavior. DO NOT CLICK RESTORE FROM BACKUP, because your current data will be over written. iTunes is recognizing a "new" phone for the first time, so click "setup as new," and you'll see your normal options to backup locally to your PC, or to backup to iCloud via iTunes. Just make sure to toggle "this computer," because iTunes backs up to iCloud by default.

GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It is getting fairly warm/hot. Especially the area around F3-F8 keys. The upper side with the keyboard is even warmer.

Some heat is to be expected. Excessive heat is not. Try resetting your SMC (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295NVRAM), and test it out. I always like to do an NVRAM reset as well for good measure, but shouldn't be necessary, because your System Management Controller controls thermal management. The NVRAM reset may be helpful depending on the tasks or operations that were in progress during the excessive heat, which begs the question of your specs (i.e. ram and cpu).

If those don't work, try testing the issue in SafeMode (press and hold the Shift key immediately after powering on your Macbook, and continue doing so until you reach your login window, your Mac will boot much slower). If the usual heat remains in SafeMode, shutdown, and boot your Mac into Apple diagnostics by immediately pressing and holding the letter "D" after powering on your Mac. You'll see a diagnostics screen, which should only take a few minutes to run. Lastly, if it's within the first 30 days of purchase, and you feel like it's a dud, swap it for a new one.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Pixel 3's Night Sight mode really is doing some fantastic work combining the horsepower of a smartphone and its sensor data with a good camera to combat smartphone cameras' achilles heel, the dark. It looks remarkable enough that Apple needs to respond in kind with something similar.

Oct 25, 2017
I've looked and can't find an answer. Is there a way to change the starting location for travel time in Calendar for the Mac? On the iPhone, it can take your starting location or you can supply one, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it on the Mac.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
The Pixel 3's Night Sight mode really is doing some fantastic work combining the horsepower of a smartphone and its sensor data with a good camera to combat smartphone cameras' achilles heel, the dark. It looks remarkable enough that Apple needs to respond in kind with something similar.
Surely the iPhone XI will have an unnecessarily exclusive, similar feature next year.

And maybe in iOS 15 we will finally get a video quality toggle in the stock camera app.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surely the iPhone XI will have an unnecessarily exclusive, similar feature next year.

And maybe in iOS 15 we will finally get a video quality toggle in the stock camera app.

I really don't know how you make taking photos unnecessarily exclusive but OK

The camera in my X is great, the only problem is Google are absolutely killing it with the image processing on the Pixel phones. This is Google beating Apple on the sort of tight integration between hardware and software it parrots about in every news conference.

Last edited:

japtor

Jan 19, 2018

Initial setup can be running a bunch of crap for a while, which may be the cause if nothing is broken. Open up Activity Monitor and see what stuff is using CPU.

If it's the browser...use an ad blocker if you aren't already. If it's Chrome, try Safari. There's two types of ad blockers (from a technical perspetive), one is way more efficient than the other but I don't know which ones use which type these days.

Oct 25, 2017
The new MBP Vega GPU options are now live, BTW.

Radeon 555 and 560 are still the base, and you can't get Vega BTO options on the lower-end SKU, which sucks.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
The new MBP Vega GPU options are now live, BTW.

Radeon 555 and 560 are still the base, and you can't get Vega BTO options on the lower-end SKU, which sucks.

Came to post in this thread just to see if anyone is gonna pull the trigger.

I have a quad-core 2017 15" - the new GPU is really, really enticing; and while I'm at it, there's a lot of "new" to be had that wasn't available 18 months ago - I could bump up to a six-core processor and to 32GB of RAM. That's a helluva an upgrade. But if I'm gonna do all that, I'd probably want to bump up from 512GB to a 1TB SSD, and that rings up at around four thousand dollars.

Even if I could sell mine for a couple grand, I don't need those upgrades. Not for two grand, as nice as they'd be. But, you know... new and shiny and all that...

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know how you make taking photos unnecessarily exclusive but OK

The camera in my X is great, the only problem is Google are absolutely killing it with the image processing on the Pixel phones. This is Google beating Apple on the sort of tight integration between hardware and software it parrots about in every news conference.
I meant their night mode feature will likely be exclusive to a new iPhone much like the depth control stuff this year and stage lighting before it.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
I'm torn between the quad and hex core Mac mini.
How much would I be shooting myself in the foot getting the i3? It's not like I do much outside of music and internet browsing. Not like it's going to suddenly become obsolete within 4/5 years, right?
For what it's worth, I've got a 4K monitor and I plan on pairing it with the Vega 56 I already own when I want to do infrequent indie gaming. Razor Core X seems like a reasonable eGPU option.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn between the quad and hex core Mac mini.
How much would I be shooting myself in the foot getting the i3? It's not like I do much outside of music and internet browsing. Not like it's going to suddenly become obsolete within 4/5 years, right?
For what it's worth, I've got a 4K monitor and I plan on pairing it with the Vega 56 I already own when I want to do infrequent indie gaming. Razor Core X seems like a reasonable eGPU option.

The i3 will be perfectly fine. It benchmarks faster than the (old, but still sold) 6-core Mac Pros in single-core.

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks all!

I installed the Mojave update for MBA yesterday. After this it rebooted. Now everything seems to be fine.

Temperature is way down compared to yesterday. And I am doing basically the same stuff...

Thanks for all your tips. I will test them and see if I still find anything that's fishy.

Edit: OK. Maybe not. I installed Dropbox and it is now getting the data. And the area is really warm again.
CPU is over 100% for some time. The fan started at least and it is a bit better. But that is weird...

Edit2: I have the MBA 1,6Ghz i5, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD

Last edited: