• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Years ago I bought my dad a iPod touch (I think it's a 6th gen) and he hasn't used it in a while... now when he tries to turn it on it says to wait like 25 million minutes, probably due to the wrong password being typed in repeatedly.

I downloaded the latest version of iTunes 64bit on his windows 10 pc and put the iPod in recovery mode but iTunes didn't seem to do anything. If we take it to an Apple store should they be able to get the pictures off of it and reset it? We don't remember the password. Is there anything else I can try myself?

Oct 25, 2017
Years ago I bought my dad a iPod touch (I think it's a 6th gen) and he hasn't used it in a while... now when he tries to turn it on it says to wait like 25 million minutes, probably due to the wrong password being typed in repeatedly.

I downloaded the latest version of iTunes 64bit on his windows 10 pc and put the iPod in recovery mode but iTunes didn't seem to do anything. If we take it to an Apple store should they be able to get the pictures off of it and reset it? We don't remember the password. Is there anything else I can try myself?

Apple's not going to be willing and/or able to break into the phone.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
It should eventually just wipe itself unless I'm mistaken. I forgot my iPhone password a few months ago and after so many reentries after waiting a few hours it eventually presented the option to wipe the phone and set it up again. It was iCloud locked when I reset it, but that's just your Apple password not a PIN code.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
So if someone forgets their password on an iPod or gets locked out... it's now a brick?

Even if we can't get the data off, I'd just like to reset it.

I think it's only a potential brick if you've forgotten the device password, the Apple ID and the ability to access whatever recovery options you set up for said Apple ID.

Course I don't know how that applies to an old iPod touch

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Ok im going to get it booked.

What is the threshold battery health that people takes phones in with to b worth the replacement cost this low? I have 2 1 year old X at like 94% that's even maybe worth it to me to refresh? Am I nuts?

Mine is at 92% and it's just fine man.. I can't wait for the battery case thou it will be quite handy come a trip or concert.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just moved to an iPhone X because my iPhone 7 broke
How could anyone want to move back to Touch ID? I was skeptical... but using it is a revelation.

Touch ID failed on me waaaay more than Face ID. And FaceID is way faster than I was expecting.

Last edited:

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Faceid is great. I think what people want is both?

Faceid has its cons too.

I now am annoyed by my Touch ID on my iPad Air 2 and can't wait to get one with Face ID some day

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd like FaceID more if instead of just unlocking it actually went to the home screen. It feels a little iffy on my SO's X but I dunno how much of that is just her accidentally unlocking it or using it in weird situations.

But yeah it's got pros and cons. FaceID requires you to be looking at your phone, but it's more secure than TouchID. TouchID doesn't work under certain conditions that annoy me (my hands are damp from cooking, etc.) where FaceID would, etc.

I can't see Apple offering both though just because it's a Philosophical Thing to them probably. Wondering why they've got TouchID on the Macs though considering you can already remotely unlock models without cameras via a Watch anyhow, and FaceID would probably be a better webcam and login feature for all the other iMacs and laptops.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I think I'd like FaceID more if instead of just unlocking it actually went to the home screen. It feels a little iffy on my SO's X but I dunno how much of that is just her accidentally unlocking it or using it in weird situations.
This sounds like a good idea until you realize that whenever you want to look at a notifi, control your music, or activate your camera, you end up looking at the home screen. I had this enabled for a good half day on Android until I realized you think you want this, but you really don't.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a good idea until you realize that whenever you want to look at a notifi, control your music, or activate your camera, you end up looking at the home screen. I had this enabled for a good half day on Android until I realized you think you want this, but you really don't.
Could probably be worked out with a combination of device-awareness (no notification on screen etc) and gaze detection tbh.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Could probably be worked out with a combination of device-awareness (no notification on screen etc) and gaze detection tbh.
So you'd be confused as to what kind of behavior you'll get every time you wake your Device? You need one clear behavior, Apple picked the most logical one.

Here's a usability hint though, you can immediately swipe up, you don't need to wait for the unlock animation. Just tap the screen to wake and swipe.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
So you'd be confused as to what kind of behavior you'll get every time you wake your Device? You need one clear behavior, Apple picked the most logical one.

Here's a usability hint though, you can immediately swipe up, you don't need to wait for the unlock animation. Just tap the screen to wake and swipe.
Oh I'm totally aware. Just saying they could add some "smart" auto unlock as an "accessibility" option.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Question about backing up photos and videos on IPhone

When I plug the iPhone into a Windows PC, I can access them in Windows explorer, 'DCIM' '100Apple' '101Apple' '102Apple' folders and copy them over.

Just wondering if that's all the photos and videos including live pictures etc? Windows says the folders amount to 3.7GB after copying over but the iPhone storage says photos takes up 4.7GB?

Am I missing anything or is that difference just something like old pre edited versions, non important photo data and such ?

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Question about backing up photos and videos on IPhone

When I plug the iPhone into a Windows PC, I can access them in Windows explorer, 'DCIM' '100Apple' '101Apple' '102Apple' folders and copy them over.

Just wondering if that's all the photos and videos including live pictures etc? Windows says the folders amount to 3.7GB after copying over but the iPhone storage says photos takes up 4.7GB?

Am I missing anything or is that difference just something like old pre edited versions, non important photo data and such ?

Use the import function. Copying the photos from the folders results in getting pics that have a lower resolution. Its also far more stable to use a import-program.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks

What import program recommended for Windows 7?

I just used the Windows Photo app, will see how that goes.

Last edited:

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So I got the new MacBook Air yesterday. Upgraded from the mid-2014 MacBook Pro with Retina Display. So far, I'm really liking it.
  • I actually really like the keyboard. I worried about this the most, as this is my first one with Apple's butterfly mechanism, but, surprisingly, not only am I liking it, but I seem to type much faster on it than compared to my old rMBP. Maybe I just drag my fingers on the keys when I type and having the flatter keys means I can actually move them to wear I want to without hitting the wrong key? Not sure.
  • Touch ID is cool.
  • Display is nice.
  • USB-C hasn't really been an issue, but I did buy the AV adapter just in case (haven't used it yet).
  • Bigger Touchpad is nice.
  • CPU is actually only slightly faster than my previous rMBP, so really not seeing a huge increase, but I don't use it for intensive stuff so it should be fine.
  • GPU is worse than my previous rMBP (by quite a bit), but I'm not using this for any intensive work or gaming, so I don't really notice it.
  • I decided to stick with the 8GB of RAM default, I never have too many tabs open at a time so I hope it can last me the next 4 or so years. This is really the only thing I might end up having some regrets that I didn't spring for 16GB. I guess we'll see.
  • Decided to bump up to 256GB version. 128GB just won't cut it. My previous rMBP was 128GB and I was constantly maxing it out. It also helps that now my Mac, iPhone, and iPad are all 256GB.
  • And, of course, the Space Gray. Looks sexy as hell and finally matches all my other Apple devices.

So, like my rMBP I got 4.5 years ago, I payed about $1400. I decided to basically upgrade to a Mac with the same amount of RAM (which I never really had an issue with before), essentially the same CPU performance (once again, didn't really have an issue with before), and with a much weaker GPU (that I never really took advantage of in the first place), in exchange for a nicer design (that matches my other devices), more internal storage (256GB really should be the default on a Mac, 128GB is not enough) and TouchID and the T2 chip (hopefully TouchID and Apple Pay are as convenient on the Mac as they are on the iPhone and iPad). We'll see if the trade off was worth it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I googled NTFS on OSX but not completely sure. If I put photos on USB stick formatted with NTFS from Windows, will I be able to copy those photos to OSX from that USB stick or should I pick another format like FAT32?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I googled NTFS on OSX but not completely sure. If I put photos on USB stick formatted with NTFS from Windows, will I be able to copy those photos to OSX from that USB stick or should I pick another format like FAT32?

In general, for flash drives, you should be using exFat because that supports files >4gb and is readable on both Windows as well as MacOS. (someone cmiiw)

NTFS is read-only on Mac. So if you just wanna transfer them to a Mac, you should be good.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
From my experience, you can read NTFS formatted media but not write to it on MacOS. Theres probably some driver hack or whatever but I never needed it so I wouldn't know for sure.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for both replies. I wasn't 100% on the read aspect when I googled it but sounds like as you say it should allow me to copy the files over as it can read them on the USB stick which I think makes sense.

Will remember exFat for future use.

Thanks.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
I'm still very happy with my MacBook 12" but if the non-TB Pro gets updated next year I'll probably buy one. I actually like that model as-is but I want a 3rd gen butterfly keyboard and Touch ID.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
How could anyone want to move back to Touch ID? I was skeptical... but using it is a revelation.

Touch ID failed on me waaaay more than Face ID. And FaceID is way faster than I was expecting.

My only problem is I've realized there are a lot of times I've unlocked my phone without looking directly at it (or at least as directly as FaceID needs). Laying on a table or desk while I'm working, etc. it works great in most situations but ultimately I am having to enter my code in more than I did with touchID. (Or get those worse moments where I start to enter it but then faceid kicks in)

As mentioned, having both would be ideal for me.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My only problem is I've realized there are a lot of times I've unlocked my phone without looking directly at it (or at least as directly as FaceID needs). Laying on a table or desk while I'm working, etc. it works great in most situations but ultimately I am having to enter my code in more than I did with touchID. (Or get those worse moments where I start to enter it but then faceid kicks in)

As mentioned, having both would be ideal for me.

I'm actually shocked by how well FaceID works. It works regardless of whether the room's dark, whether I have a hoodie or hat on, the angle between the phone and my face, whether I've got a beard or am clean shaven, whether I'm wearing glasses, etc.

The only bit I miss is being able to register multiple fingers for multiple users.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually shocked by how well FaceID works. It works regardless of whether the room's dark, whether I have a hoodie or hat on, the angle between the phone and my face, whether I've got a beard or am clean shaven, whether I'm wearing glasses, etc.

The only bit I miss is being able to register multiple fingers for multiple users.

Yeah, in most other situations it's great. Unfortunately I'm out of its detection angle when it's in a desk pretty frequently

Oct 25, 2017
Apples latest Mac Pro just turned five years old!

And here's me with a pile of money, just waiting...

In the new iOS you can register an "alternate appearance" which works well enough I can unlock my SO's phone. THat's still only a max of two people but better than it was.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And here's me with a pile of money, just waiting...

In the new iOS you can register an "alternate appearance" which works well enough I can unlock my SO's phone. THat's still only a max of two people but better than it was.

I'm aware of this but haven't really looked into it — the device that needs to be shared most is my 10.5" iPad Pro, which doesn't have FaceID (and three users).

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
On my wife's Macbook Air, I'm trying to find a way to get mailto: links to direct to Gmail in Safari rather than the stupid Mail app. It looks like there was an easy way to do that previously using an extension, but Apple isn't allowing third-party extensions any more.

Has anyone figured out a way to make this still happen?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

While Face ID works most of the time for me, I still find it more frustrating than my old fingerprint sensor phones did (although I never had an iPhone with a fingerprint sensor, maybe the android phones I used in the past were better than them, not sure).

Even after retraining and scanning two separate angles of my face and giving the XS Max time to learn my face better, I still get unlock failures for having the phone too far away, too close, not at the right angle, or if I just wake up and my face is squinting or grimacing. I don't grow and shave a beard, don't wear hats, my weight doesn't fluctuate, etc. I miss more than I thought I would being able to unlock my phone while it's sitting flat on a table to the side of me (without having to pick it up or press the button and awkwardly position my face over it). I find myself having to type in my password more than I ever did with fingerprint sensors on my past phones (even shitty fingerprint sensors like the old Note 4).

Even when it does work as intended I still find the need to pick up the phone and swipe up to take longer than just tapping a fingerprint sensor used to be.
And I'm not saying it fails like 50, 75, or even 90% of the time, it does works most of it the time, it's just a few more percentages more than a fingerprint sensor that makes the difference between never having to think about it, and having it not work at least once a day.

I haven't decided yet if it's a big enough annoyance (along with some of the other issues I've had with my iPhone) for me to sell the phone and go with either an iPhone 8 or just go back to Android and use the extra money on an iPad, but I definitely don't think I'll be buying another phone where Face ID is the only option.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple confirms that ipad pros are being DELIVERED bent. Oh Lord

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/19...end-pro-2018-shipping-manufacturing-confirmed

Apple has confirmed to The Verge that some of its 2018 iPad Pros are shipping with a very slight bend in the aluminum chassis. But according to the company, this is a side effect of the device's manufacturing process and shouldn't worsen over time or negatively affect the flagship iPad's performance in any practical way. Apple does not consider it to be a defect.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think I won't worry about getting a decent deal on a 12,9 2018 Pro anymore lol. I guess the 2019 model will address this "non-defect"

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Apple confirms that ipad pros are being DELIVERED bent. Oh Lord

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/19...end-pro-2018-shipping-manufacturing-confirmed

Apple has confirmed to The Verge that some of its 2018 iPad Pros are shipping with a very slight bend in the aluminum chassis. But according to the company, this is a side effect of the device's manufacturing process and shouldn't worsen over time or negatively affect the flagship iPad's performance in any practical way. Apple does not consider it to be a defect.

You can also exchange it within the return period if it is too much for you.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think I won't worry about getting a decent deal on a 12,9 2018 Pro anymore lol. I guess the 2019 model will address this "non-defect"
Somehow they figured out that making a giant screen but insanely thin device with no structural support will lead to bending.

I dunno what is going on with that company anymore. Quality control is out the window seemingly

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to use the lightning dock to output audio from my Mac? Trying to connect headphones on the back just ends up making the cord get in the way

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Just picked up two apple home pods. My place is quiet and I'd like to have music playing in the background and also connect this to apple tv for netflix/apps/etc

maxpl

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Off topic as I can't make threads but I've got a question for those knowledgeable in iPhone repair.

I have a Verizon iPhone 6s and a Sprint iPhone 6s. The Sprint phone is brand new and the Verizon is banged up a cosmetically.

Is it possible to swap the Verizon chipset into the Sprint body and have it all function. I want to take the white faceplate off the Verizon phone(silver backplate), the Verizon chipset, and swap those parts into the Sprint grey backplate with the new battery in the Sprint phone.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
On my wife's Macbook Air, I'm trying to find a way to get mailto: links to direct to Gmail in Safari rather than the stupid Mail app. It looks like there was an easy way to do that previously using an extension, but Apple isn't allowing third-party extensions any more.

Has anyone figured out a way to make this still happen?
There used to be a third party app for this way back, then Google bought it and made it official. Then they killed it/let it die. This all happened a while ago.

Third party extensions are still allowed but I think only through the App Store or extensions gallery on their site, and older ones are broken (...even some on the gallery). There's probably a way to do this but not at my computer now to check for sure, I figure it's a common enough use case there's gotta be something.
Is there any way to use the lightning dock to output audio from my Mac? Trying to connect headphones on the back just ends up making the cord get in the way
Not that I know of, that output is only for the docked device audio afaik. Just get a cheap mini jack extension cable I guess, or any other myriad of ways to get other audio outputs.
It's no excuse though that they say it's not a defect. A bent frame is absolutely a defect. I can't believe they didn't just take the L and do the right thing for these people.
Yeah it would've been a simple win (...assuming it's only some of them), just call it an optional swappable defect and furiously figure out the manufacturing shit behind the scenes. Now they have a PR shitstorm to deal with on top of the defect QC.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
If you'll use it often there's a program you can buy called Tuxera NTFS. Doesn't cost too much and it's seamless once installed.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Well I got AirPods on a whim last night and now I hate myself for not getting them sooner. I knew they were going to be amazing as soon as I opened the case and they auto paired with my phone.

octopedes

Feb 3, 2018
Well I got AirPods on a whim last night and now I hate myself for not getting them sooner. I knew they were going to be amazing as soon as I opened the case and they auto paired with my phone.
Damn, I really want to get them, but I've been holding off forever until they release the variation with the wireless case.